Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--25--The Call by the Sea  (Read 15317 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--25--The Call by the Sea
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »
Amen, sister Dorine! Jesus is fully God, and His condescension to take humanity upon Himself should lead us to appreciate more fully what it means that we have a divine-human Savior! He is fully God, our Creator, and at the same time our Brother! What love! Contemplating God's love is what enables us to love Him more as we surrender fully to Him, and then we are in turn enabled to bless others with the love that has wrought in our hearts a change of character from selfishness (the natural life of the flesh) to selflessness (true conversion by becoming a partaker of the divine nature). We are either manifesting one or the other of the two great principles of character, and all who are fully surrendered to Christ by a living-faith surrender will manifest all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, as day by day we are enabled to do more good to bless others in the fruitful life of a Christian experience.

"He who loves Christ the most will do the greatest amount of good. There is no limit to the usefulness of one who, by putting self aside, makes room for the working of the Holy Spirit upon his heart, and lives a life wholly consecrated to God. If men will endure the necessary discipline, without complaining or fainting by the way, God will teach them hour by hour, and day by day. He longs to reveal His grace. If His people will remove the obstructions, He will pour forth the waters of salvation in abundant streams through the human channels. If men in humble life were encouraged to do all the good they could do, if restraining hands were not laid upon them to repress their zeal, there would be a hundred workers for Christ where now there is one." {The Desire of Ages, page 250, paragraph 4}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 03:54:37 AM »
"God takes men as they are, and educates them for His service, if they will yield themselves to Him. The Spirit of God, received into the soul, will quicken all its faculties. Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the mind that is devoted unreservedly to God develops harmoniously, and is strengthened to comprehend and fulfill the requirements of God. The weak, vacillating character becomes changed to one of strength and steadfastness. Continual devotion establishes so close a relation between Jesus and His disciple that the Christian becomes like Him in mind and character. Through a connection with Christ he will have clearer and broader views. His discernment will be more penetrative, his judgment better balanced. He who longs to be of service to Christ is so quickened by the life-giving power of the Sun of Righteousness that he is enabled to bear much fruit to the glory of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 251, paragraph 1}

Promises like this encourage us to go to Christ, the source of wisdom and guidance, so that we can serve Him aright in ministry. Let us plead for His help and He will guide us.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 05:16:38 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!!  "Through a connection with Christ....." we can move mountains!!! What does it mean to have a connection with Christ? Is it a profession of faith? No, it is a living connection with Him. It is a full surrender to His grace. Grace surrounds us like the air we breathe. But, it must be seen and assimilated into the heart to have the connection being spoken of.

It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ. By beholding His grace we will make that connection with Him. By continual reaching out to Him through prayer and study we will maintain that connection and be transformed in character, His character. This is what the Bible means when it says to "buy" of Him "gold tried in the fire." It is His faith that works by His love (grace). If we will behold His life, we will gain "saving faith." Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word. Why? Because the Word is a revelation of Christ.

I love this statement found in this morning's reading: "It is only life that can beget life. What privilege, then, was theirs who for three years were in daily contact with that divine life from which has flowed every life-giving impulse that has blessed the world!" Imagine spending three whole years with Jesus!! What a privilege! And, what a privilege is ours to be able to do the same. Just because we cannot see Him, does not mean He is not here. He calls to us continually to open the door of the heart to Him. He wants to come in. Unless, He is already in the heart. One way or the other, where is Jesus? There are three answers? He has been driven away for good because the still small voice can no longer be heard, the heart has been hardened so much that it can no longer be impressed with our need of Him, or His love for us. Or, He is in the heart because we cling to Him because we love Him supremely. Or, He is standing at the door of the heart, knocking, pleading for entrance.

If He is standing at the door, then is not Jesus with you today! If he is in the heart, is He not with you today! Jesus will not leave us, nor forsake us, unless we hardern the heart so we can no longer choose to be with Him. Today will decide tomorrow to a great degree. Today, is the day of salvation. Let us choose to spend time with Him, communing with Him, learning of Him as did the disciples when He called them to be His disciples. So, He is calling you and me today!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 06:18:26 AM »
Such beautiful and humbling thoughts Richard. I have been meditating upon the same. Every day we are walking and talking with Jesus. No we may not actually see or hear Him but in one sense we do have an advantage over the disciples in that we have an understanding of His mission that they did not have until He was taken from them.

I was sharing with my daughter and grandson last evening my experience with spending time each morning reading the book of DA and the transformation that is taking place in my life because of it. It's a personal on-going journey and each day brings deeper meaning to the scriptures and discernment to my choices and decisions that day. Each day brings new revelations of His love and moves me to please Him by obedience to the light that He has given.

"God takes men as they are, and educates them for His service, if they will yield themselves to Him. The Spirit of God, received into the soul, will quicken all its faculties. Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the mind that is devoted unreservedly to God develops harmoniously, and is strengthened to comprehend and fulfill the requirements of God. The weak, vacillating character becomes changed to one of strength and steadfastness. Continual devotion establishes so close a relation between Jesus and His disciple that the Christian becomes like Him in mind and character. Through a connection with Christ he will have clearer and broader views. His discernment will be more penetrative, his judgment better balanced. He who longs to be of service to Christ is so quickened by the life-giving power of the Sun of Righteousness that he is enabled to bear much fruit to the glory of God."

I may not be a man but I am a child of God and this promise is for me as well. This is what He will do for all who are open to His invitation to "Come and follow Me."

Pastor Sean I just realized that you quoted the exact same passage. Each morning as I am reading I am visualizing our group reading and wondering what words of inspiration is grabbing their attention. The Holy Spirit moves us in different areas but there are times when He brings us together with the same impressions and thoughts. That should tell us something of the importance God puts on that particular truth.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 04:07:27 AM »
Apart from Christ, even what we may profess to do in His service is fruitless. In what sense? Without a full surrender to Him and a continual union and communion of our souls with Jesus, we are severed from the Holy Spirit who alone can produce genuine love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, meekness, goodness, faith and temperance. Not one of these fruits of the divine nature will be missing when we live by faith on Christ. What a beautiful example of this is seen when the disciples experienced Jesus' presence with them on the lake at the time He called them to leave their nets and become fishers of men. To follow the call God has on our lives, we are in a continual need of Jesus to abide in our hearts by faith! 

"During that sad night on the lake, when they were separated from Christ, the disciples were pressed hard by unbelief, and weary with fruitless toil. But His presence kindled their faith, and brought them joy and success. So it is with us; apart from Christ, our work is fruitless, and it is easy to distrust and murmur. But when He is near, and we labor under His direction, we rejoice in the evidence of His power. It is Satan's work to discourage the soul; it is Christ's work to inspire with faith and hope." {The Desire of Ages, page 249, paragraph 2}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2018, 02:28:10 AM »
Love is wholly efficient for God to use us! When Christ's love fills our souls, we long to find creative ways to express that love in service and blessing of those around us. When we have Christ living in us by faith, all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen in our lives without one missing as we gladly follow in the path of obedience, counting duty a delight and sacrifice a pleasure! The path that before seemed shrouded in darkness becomes bright with the beams that come from Jesus, the "Sun of Righteousness" (Malachi 4:2). Jesus' light makes clear our soul darkness by nature (the flesh), and our continual need of His heavenly illumination for us to do any good thing (as we become partakers of the divine nature!). I cleave to Jesus today that He may work in and through me even more effectively, and that others may be encouraged to know the power of the living Savior! We can have a living testimony of His grace today! Will you join me in letting the love of Jesus work in and through you by His Spirit? There is no greater joy this side of heaven!

"He who loves Christ the most will do the greatest amount of good. There is no limit to the usefulness of one who, by putting self aside, makes room for the working of the Holy Spirit upon his heart, and lives a life wholly consecrated to God. If men will endure the necessary discipline, without complaining or fainting by the way, God will teach them hour by hour, and day by day. He longs to reveal His grace. If His people will remove the obstructions, He will pour forth the waters of salvation in abundant streams through the human channels. If men in humble life were encouraged to do all the good they could do, if restraining hands were not laid upon them to repress their zeal, there would be a hundred workers for Christ where now there is one." {The Desire of Ages, page 250, paragraph 4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2018, 09:31:08 PM »
Amen!  He who loves God most has seen His love most. It is the goodness of God that leadeth to repentance.

Peter fell at the Saviour's feet, exclaiming, "Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord." It was the same presence of divine holiness that had caused the prophet Daniel to fall as one dead before the angel of God. He said, "My comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength." So when Isaiah beheld the glory of the Lord, he exclaimed, "Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts." Daniel 10:8; Isaiah 6:5. Humanity, with its weakness and sin, was brought in contrast with the perfection of divinity, and he felt altogether deficient and unholy. Thus it has been with all who have been granted a view of God's greatness and majesty. 

We are saved by grace. Grace is God's greatness and majesty. Isaiah and Daniel beheld divine holiness, the glory of the Lord. We all may behold His glory, His greatness and majesty. It is God's desire that we receive a baptism of the Holy Spirit that we might fall on our faces as did Daniel and Isaiah. Grace is more than a word, it is the power that transforms sinners into saint.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 06:00:01 AM »
  "During that sad night on the lake, when they were separated from Christ, the disciples were pressed hard by unbelief, and weary with fruitless toil. But His presence kindled their faith, and brought them joy and success. So it is with us; apart from Christ, our work is fruitless, and it is easy to distrust and murmur. But when He is near, and we labor under His direction, we rejoice in the evidence of His power. It is Satan's work to discourage the soul; it is Christ's work to inspire with faith and hope.       

The deeper lesson which the miracle conveyed for the disciples is a lesson for us also,--that He whose word could gather the fishes from the sea could also impress human hearts, and draw them by the cords of His love, so that His servants might become "fishers of men." "

I love the inspiring lessons given to us through the Bible and SOP. They bring such courage to my soul when facing discouraging circumstances and supposed failures. That's the work of Satan but Jesus wants us to keep our eyes on Him so that we will not put obstacles in His way for the work He wants to do in us and through us.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2018, 06:43:48 AM »
Amen, Dorine! Jesus is ever at work to inspire our souls with faith and hope, to look above the questions and circumstances of commonplace life to the things that are spiritual and eternal. I love how John the Beloved disciple models to us a life of true sanctification, of being so in love with Jesus that meditating upon His loveliness became John's chief focus as Jesus transformed his character. May we also enjoy such an experience!!

"It is not the highest work of education to communicate knowledge merely, but to impart that vitalizing energy which is received through the contact of mind with mind, and soul with soul. It is only life that can beget life. What privilege, then, was theirs who for three years were in daily contact with that divine life from which has flowed every life-giving impulse that has blessed the world! Above all his companions, John the beloved disciple yielded himself to the power of that wondrous life. He says, 'The life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and show unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us.' 'Of His fullness have all we received, and grace for grace.' 1 John 1:2; John 1:16." {The Desire of Ages, page 250, paragraph 2}

May we remember if we give Bible studies or share truth that our highest work is not just to "get the information across," but, like Jesus to convey and impart the vitalizing energy found as our souls are imbued with His Spirit (and not one the the fruits of the Spirit will be missing if we are living by faith on the Son of God), and that will in turn have a transforming effect on the people we share Jesus with, so their hearts and minds may also partake of the divine nature! Let us go forth to impart this WONDROUS LIFE!!

Beacon

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 08:12:03 PM »
"He who loves Christ the most will do the greatest amount of good. There is no limit to the usefulness of one who, by putting self aside, makes room for the working of the Holy Spirit upon his heart, and lives a life wholly consecrated to God. If men will endure the necessary discipline, without complaining or fainting by the way, God will teach them hour by hour, and day by day. He longs to reveal His grace. If His people will remove the obstructions, He will pour forth the waters of salvation in abundant streams through the human channels. If men in humble life were encouraged to do all the good they could do, if restraining hands  were not laid upon them to repress their zeal, there would be a hundred workers for Christ where now there is one."[/color]

There is much truth to the saying..." God does not necessarily call "the qualified" ( according to socially acceptable and recognized human Degrees and Titles ) He "Qualifies" the one's that He has called through the Power of the Holy Spirit and thus each one of us can be used for His Glory " IF WE ARE WILLING"  

"In the apostles of our Lord there was nothing to bring glory to themselvesIt was evident that the success of their labors was due only to God. The lives of these men, the characters they developed, and the mighty work that God wrought through them, are a testimony to what He will do for all who are teachable and obedient."

The U.S. Marines have a motto that goes like this  "Semper Fidelis"  which means "always faithful" in Latin. When we become members of the family of God we also promise to Honor and Defend the One who died for us. We sing " Onward Christian Soldiers " Let us remember what a high honor we have been called to and be faithful to execute the commands of our Leader - Jesus Christ thereby bringing Honor & Glory to Him.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 03:31:33 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

As we realize how sinful, weak, and erring we really are in the light of Calvary's cross, as we compare our lives to the divine, unchanging standard of God's holy law and the perfect example of Jesus, let us not despair to think that God cannot transform us fully into His image! It was sinners Christ came to save, and it is erring people that He loves to use in His service if we are willing to be made willing, and learn of Him! As we think of the transformation God brought about in His disciples, we can remember that God loves to do an infinite work through finite vessels. Then, the glory can only go to God, who alone can miraculously transform sinful, erring people into converted, consecrated agencies for sharing the gospel of His grace. Thus our great need is this vital connection with Christ, whereby every impulse of our nature is brought under the divine influence of the Holy Spirit; the heart and mind are renewed by divine grace as the Holy Spirit reveals through the fully surrendered soul love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance so not one of these fruits of the Spirit is missing! This miracle leads to a willing, affectionate obedience to do the will of God in any area to which God may call us. As Jesus called the disciples, so today He is calling you and me to serve Him and love Him with all the heart, soul, mind and strength, and to love our neighbor as ourselves. With Christ on the throne of our hearts, this will be our delight!!

"God takes men as they are, and educates them for His service, if they will yield themselves to Him. The Spirit of God, received into the soul, will quicken all its faculties. Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the mind that is devoted unreservedly to God develops harmoniously, and is strengthened to comprehend and fulfill the requirements of God. The weak, vacillating character becomes changed to one of strength and steadfastness. Continual devotion establishes so close a relation between Jesus and His disciple that the Christian becomes like Him in mind and character. Through a connection with Christ he will have clearer and broader views. His discernment will be more penetrative, his judgment better balanced. He who longs to be of service to Christ is so quickened by the life-giving power of the Sun of Righteousness that he is enabled to bear much fruit to the glory of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 251, paragraph 1}

May you be blessed to remember how Jesus has led in your life. He is working such great miracles in hearts yielded to Him!! Happy Sabbath!!

Dorine

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2019, 06:51:55 AM »
"Men of the highest education in the arts and sciences have learned precious lessons from Christians in humble life who were designated by the world as unlearned. But these obscure disciples had obtained an education in the highest of all schools. They had sat at the feet of Him who spoke as "never man spake."

Not everyone can afford to attend the worldly schools of highest education but the highest education one can receive is free to all. Admission requirements are to believe the lessons being taught and to follow the greatest professor the world has ever known. To witness rough common and uneducated men changed into self-controlled, caring and very knowledgeable men was a witness no one could deny. Jesus still uses such men. I can't help but think of Doug Bachelor.

If there are still areas in our lives that are not as they should be we need to spend time in the presence of God so that we too will be overwhelmed with the contrast between ourselves and the Majesty of heaven. We too will fall to our knees as did Peter and exclaim "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord." This applies to women as well. I was impressed with how Peter hung on to Jesus as he said these words. Are we willing to hang on to Jesus as did Jacob and refuse to let go until we are blessed?

Once again I've been so blessed by the reading of this chapter and spending that thoughtful hour with Jesus. Happy Sabbath to all.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 07:23:08 AM »
Amen dear Sister!  When we spend time studying the life of Christ, we will then have a  true standard by which we may measure our character. We then will indeed fall on our faces and pray for wisdom and grace.

Beacon

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 06:05:29 AM »
"Jesus had nothing to do with the various subjects of dissension among the Jews. It was His work to present the truth. His words shed a flood of light upon the teachings of patriarchs and prophets, and the Scriptures came to men as a new revelation. Never before had His hearers perceived such a depth of meaning in the word of God."
[/b]
Isaiah 8:20 says,,,"To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." We need to be led by the Spirit of God and not get caught up in controversy within the ranks of Christianity and more specifically within the ranks of our own church.  Remember that when the devil tempted Jesus, He was victorious base on the theme of  " IT IS WRITTEN " Then the Holy Spirit will guide the listener to a deeper understanding which leads to truth..

"Jesus met the people on their own ground, as one who was acquainted with their perplexities. He made truth beautiful by presenting it in the most direct and simple way. His language was pure, refined, and clear as a running stream. His voice was as music to those who had listened to the monotonous tones of the rabbis. But while His teaching was simple, He spoke as one having authority.This characteristic set His teaching in contrast with that of all others."

It has been my privilege to conduct several funeral services for families that were not of our faith and each time they heard a solid truth filled message several of the ones present came up to me after the service and told me they had never heard such a comforting message based on the Word of God. It was a humbling experience and made me realize even more what a wonderful treasure we hold in our hands when we and have opportunities to share with others God's truth filled messages. I encourage all you reading this blog day by day to adapt this motto. If God said it - I believe it, and that's good enough for me "

Beacon

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 05:28:21 PM »
"He who loves Christ the most will do the greatest amount of good. There is no limit to the usefulness of one who, by putting self aside, makes room for the working of the Holy Spirit upon his heart, and lives a life wholly consecrated to God. If men will endure the necessary discipline, without complaining or fainting by the way, God will teach them hour by hour, and day by day. He longs to reveal His grace. If His people will remove the obstructions, He will pour forth the waters of salvation in abundant streams through the human channels. If men in humble life were encouraged to do all the good they could do, if restraining hands were not laid upon them to repress their zeal, there would be a hundred workers for Christ where now there is one."

Jesus invites us to come - Just as we are and experience His Mercy, Grace & Forgiveness - Come Today and be Transformed before it's Too Late.

Verse #1
Just as I am, without one plea,                                         
But that thy blood was she'd for me,
And that Thou bidd'st me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!

Verse #2
Just as I am, and waiting not,
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,

Verse #3
Just as I am, tho' tossed about,
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings within and fears without,

Verse #4
Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind,
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need in Thee to find,

Verse #5
Just as I am, Thou wilt recieve,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve,
Because Thy promise I believe,

Verse #6
Just as I am, Thy love unknown,
Hath broken every barrier down;
Now to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2019, 02:06:56 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

As we come to Christ just as we are, we can be VERY ENCOURAGED to see what God's grace did for men like Peter and Elijah, and know that God is so willing to remove the dross of self from our lives so we can have the pure gold of Christ's loveliness wrought out in us by a living faith surrender. I am so thankful God leads us through situations that let us see our CONTINUAL NEED of Jesus so we learn to cultivate self-distrust and instead have complete confidence in Christ. Spending this precious time at the feet of Jesus--this is where the healing and transformation really takes place!

As I was reading last night (and I re-read it this morning), I am struck by how God worked to purify Elijah's character, and I pray you will also be blessed by this thought:

"In Elijah we see the natural elements of his character revealed amid the spiritual life, commingling together in strange confusion; the grace of God and the impulses and passions of the natural man, each striving for the supremacy. The human is being tried in the furnace and the dross is revealed, impurity is brought to the surface, but the trial of Elijah is a scene that all Heaven was looking upon at that time with deep solicitude. The fine gold appears in his character, the dross is lost sight of and consumed. This must be our individual experience in God’s own way." – {The 1888 Ellen G. White Materials, page 490, paragraph 2}

I really relate to Elijah in a lot of ways. As I think of how it can be easy to ride the waves of emotion, I am SO THANKFUL that Elijah's experience is chronicled, and that we can learn from the lives of those who have struggled through experiences that have taught them their continual need of Christ. Elijah was not commissioned by God to flee from Jezebel, and Peter didn't need to deny Christ. But we can learn from how they fell under temptation, learned the lesson, and then overcame again as they experientially realized the grace of God and surrendered fully to Christ. Wherever you are in the character building experience, I pray that you will find hope to overcome all of your hereditary and cultivated tendencies that are unlike Jesus as you let Him work in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure. The result is nothing short of a beautiful miracle--the weakest soul clinging to Jesus experiences a new heart and a new mind imbued with all of the fruits of the Holy Spirit without one missing, and is enabled to put self aside for the winning of souls. What could be more important than this final hour mission as Jesus is about to come in glory? Let us arise and shine by letting Jesus dispel the darkness of whatever we are struggling with, so we can have the joy of being in the center of the will of God!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2019, 06:35:55 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. It is a continual battle against the flesh. We do not have and will not have "holy" flesh until Jesus comes. It is only through the indwelling Christ that we can resist the smallest temptation to sin. Therefore, all sinners, as Brother Beacon has pointed out, must come to Jesus just as we are. We have time to learn of Christ and our need of Him. God does not blot us out in  a moment. He loves us and is wise and gentle in bringing us up higher and higher. But, this does not mean that we are saved in sin. John puts it like this: "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." 1 John 2:1.

Jesus is our Mediator that provides us with a period of probation where we can learn to quit sinning by clinging to Christ our only hope.

In the apostles of our Lord there was nothing to bring glory to themselves. It was evident that the success of their labors was due only to God. The lives of these men, the characters they developed, and the mighty work that God wrought through them, are a testimony to what He will do for all who are teachable and obedient. 

Dorine

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2019, 06:55:07 AM »
"In the apostles of our Lord there was nothing to bring glory to themselves. It was evident that the success of their labors was due only to God. The lives of these men, the characters they developed, and the mighty work that God wrought through them, are a testimony to what He will do for all who are teachable and obedient." {DA 250.3} 

These chapters in this book should bring such strength and courage to anyone who may feel unworthy of God's love. He poured out His life for all and as we humbly come to Him each day He will create in us new thoughts, motives and desires. He is no different today than when He lived on earth. When we read of what Jesus accomplished in the lives of the disciples and the promise to do the same for all who are teachable and obedient, it should fill us with humility and enthusiasm as we let Him do the work He wants to do in our lives.

Dorine

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2019, 04:41:41 AM »
When the disciples came forth from the Saviour's training, they were no longer ignorant and uncultured. They had become like Him in mind and character, and men took knowledge of them that they had been with Jesus.

As I read these few words this morning I was deeply moved because I want my life to be such that others will know that I have been with Jesus. I want to be like Him in mind and character. All Jesus needs is a humble willing heart and He will do mighty things in our lives. What a testimony a changed life is to the world, of the power of God.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2019, 08:28:48 AM »
Amen Dear Sister Dorine!  And how do we get this humble willing heart? This is the all important question. What must I do to be saved? How can I be changed, transformed in character? This answer is revealed in the change in Peter's heart as he beheld Christ.

This miracle, above any other he had ever witnessed, was to him a manifestation of divine power. In Jesus he saw One who held all nature under His control. The presence of divinity revealed his own unholiness. Love for his Master, shame for his own unbelief, gratitude for the condescension of Christ, above all, the sense of his uncleanness in the presence of infinite purity, overwhelmed him. While his companions were securing the contents of the net, Peter fell at the Saviour's feet, exclaiming, "Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord." 

It was not the miracle in and of itself that caused Peter to see his need of Jesus. It was the sense of his "uncleanness in the presence of infinite purity" that broke his heart. So it will be with all who behold the loveliness of Jesus. It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour each day witnessing the life of Christ.