Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--25--The Call by the Sea  (Read 2151 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--25--The Call by the Sea
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »
Amen, sister Dorine! Jesus is fully God, and His condescension to take humanity upon Himself should lead us to appreciate more fully what it means that we have a divine-human Savior! He is fully God, our Creator, and at the same time our Brother! What love! Contemplating God's love is what enables us to love Him more as we surrender fully to Him, and then we are in turn enabled to bless others with the love that has wrought in our hearts a change of character from selfishness (the natural life of the flesh) to selflessness (true conversion by becoming a partaker of the divine nature). We are either manifesting one or the other of the two great principles of character, and all who are fully surrendered to Christ by a living-faith surrender will manifest all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, as day by day we are enabled to do more good to bless others in the fruitful life of a Christian experience.

"He who loves Christ the most will do the greatest amount of good. There is no limit to the usefulness of one who, by putting self aside, makes room for the working of the Holy Spirit upon his heart, and lives a life wholly consecrated to God. If men will endure the necessary discipline, without complaining or fainting by the way, God will teach them hour by hour, and day by day. He longs to reveal His grace. If His people will remove the obstructions, He will pour forth the waters of salvation in abundant streams through the human channels. If men in humble life were encouraged to do all the good they could do, if restraining hands were not laid upon them to repress their zeal, there would be a hundred workers for Christ where now there is one." {The Desire of Ages, page 250, paragraph 4}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 03:54:37 AM »
"God takes men as they are, and educates them for His service, if they will yield themselves to Him. The Spirit of God, received into the soul, will quicken all its faculties. Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the mind that is devoted unreservedly to God develops harmoniously, and is strengthened to comprehend and fulfill the requirements of God. The weak, vacillating character becomes changed to one of strength and steadfastness. Continual devotion establishes so close a relation between Jesus and His disciple that the Christian becomes like Him in mind and character. Through a connection with Christ he will have clearer and broader views. His discernment will be more penetrative, his judgment better balanced. He who longs to be of service to Christ is so quickened by the life-giving power of the Sun of Righteousness that he is enabled to bear much fruit to the glory of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 251, paragraph 1}

Promises like this encourage us to go to Christ, the source of wisdom and guidance, so that we can serve Him aright in ministry. Let us plead for His help and He will guide us.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 05:16:38 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!!  "Through a connection with Christ....." we can move mountains!!! What does it mean to have a connection with Christ? Is it a profession of faith? No, it is a living connection with Him. It is a full surrender to His grace. Grace surrounds us like the air we breathe. But, it must be seen and assimilated into the heart to have the connection being spoken of.

It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ. By beholding His grace we will make that connection with Him. By continual reaching out to Him through prayer and study we will maintain that connection and be transformed in character, His character. This is what the Bible means when it says to "buy" of Him "gold tried in the fire." It is His faith that works by His love (grace). If we will behold His life, we will gain "saving faith." Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word. Why? Because the Word is a revelation of Christ.

I love this statement found in this morning's reading: "It is only life that can beget life. What privilege, then, was theirs who for three years were in daily contact with that divine life from which has flowed every life-giving impulse that has blessed the world!" Imagine spending three whole years with Jesus!! What a privilege! And, what a privilege is ours to be able to do the same. Just because we cannot see Him, does not mean He is not here. He calls to us continually to open the door of the heart to Him. He wants to come in. Unless, He is already in the heart. One way or the other, where is Jesus? There are three answers? He has been driven away for good because the still small voice can no longer be heard, the heart has been hardened so much that it can no longer be impressed with our need of Him, or His love for us. Or, He is in the heart because we cling to Him because we love Him supremely. Or, He is standing at the door of the heart, knocking, pleading for entrance.

If He is standing at the door, then is not Jesus with you today! If he is in the heart, is He not with you today! Jesus will not leave us, nor forsake us, unless we hardern the heart so we can no longer choose to be with Him. Today will decide tomorrow to a great degree. Today, is the day of salvation. Let us choose to spend time with Him, communing with Him, learning of Him as did the disciples when He called them to be His disciples. So, He is calling you and me today!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 06:18:26 AM »
Such beautiful and humbling thoughts Richard. I have been meditating upon the same. Every day we are walking and talking with Jesus. No we may not actually see or hear Him but in one sense we do have an advantage over the disciples in that we have an understanding of His mission that they did not have until He was taken from them.

I was sharing with my daughter and grandson last evening my experience with spending time each morning reading the book of DA and the transformation that is taking place in my life because of it. It's a personal on-going journey and each day brings deeper meaning to the scriptures and discernment to my choices and decisions that day. Each day brings new revelations of His love and moves me to please Him by obedience to the light that He has given.

"God takes men as they are, and educates them for His service, if they will yield themselves to Him. The Spirit of God, received into the soul, will quicken all its faculties. Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the mind that is devoted unreservedly to God develops harmoniously, and is strengthened to comprehend and fulfill the requirements of God. The weak, vacillating character becomes changed to one of strength and steadfastness. Continual devotion establishes so close a relation between Jesus and His disciple that the Christian becomes like Him in mind and character. Through a connection with Christ he will have clearer and broader views. His discernment will be more penetrative, his judgment better balanced. He who longs to be of service to Christ is so quickened by the life-giving power of the Sun of Righteousness that he is enabled to bear much fruit to the glory of God."

I may not be a man but I am a child of God and this promise is for me as well. This is what He will do for all who are open to His invitation to "Come and follow Me."

Pastor Sean I just realized that you quoted the exact same passage. Each morning as I am reading I am visualizing our group reading and wondering what words of inspiration is grabbing their attention. The Holy Spirit moves us in different areas but there are times when He brings us together with the same impressions and thoughts. That should tell us something of the importance God puts on that particular truth.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14