Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--20--Except Ye See Signs and Wonders  (Read 13797 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--20--Except Ye See Signs and Wonders
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2023, 01:40:05 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Life is a lot like a mosaic. While we may not see it at the time, the different experiences, trials, and blessings all have their part in the Master Artist's design to woo us to Him so our hearts will gladly, fully surrender to the constraint of His infinite love. In the case of the nobleman in Capernaum, he may have only seen the immediate piece of the life puzzle as a situation in which his son with a fever desperately needed healing. In his mind, if Christ should heal his son, then he would believe in Him as the Messiah. Jesus, who read his heart as an open book, wanted to give him something even more--the gift of salvation and a surrendered heart in which all of the fruits of the Spirit are revealed without one missing as the life is brought into true obedience to God's law. God in His infinite wisdom and love saw this experience as an opportunity to convert the nobleman's heart AND convert his whole family! Praise God!! If we would but allow God to work out what He designs in each experience and really believe that He loves us, we could have a lot happier pilgrimage in our earthly life on our way to our heavenly home! Let's start singing glory to His name!!

"The nobleman wanted to see the fulfillment of his prayer before he should believe; but he had to accept the word of Jesus that his request was heard and the blessing granted. This lesson we also have to learn. Not because we see or feel that God hears us are we to believe. We are to trust in His promises. When we come to Him in faith, every petition enters the heart of God. When we have asked for His blessing, we should believe that we receive it, and thank Him that we have received it. Then we are to go about our duties, assured that the blessing will be realized when we need it most. When we have learned to do this, we shall know that our prayers are answered. God will do for us 'exceeding abundantly,' 'according to the riches of His glory,' and 'the working of His mighty power.' Ephesians 3:20, 16; 1:19." {The Desire of Ages, page 200, paragraph 4}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2023, 07:34:23 AM »
Amen my dear brothers!!   Faith is indeed the victory!   Once again we find ourselves in not only unity of the Spirit, but unity of doctrine also.

He who blessed the nobleman at Capernaum is just as desirous of blessing us. But like the afflicted father, we are often led to seek Jesus by the desire for some earthly good; and upon the granting of our request we rest our confidence in His love. The Saviour longs to give us a greater blessing than we ask; and He delays the answer to our request that He may show us the evil of our own hearts, and our deep need of His grace. He desires us to renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him. Confessing our helplessness and bitter need, we are to trust ourselves wholly to His love. 

Many years ago I had an interesting experience. I had an infection in my throat. I was very bad. Dr. Thrash had been helping me treat it with natural remedies. They were not working. I refused to take a drug. I still have my tonsils and they had swollen so much I feared I might not be able to breathe. In treating my self, with a hot shower, I about passed out. I cried out to Jesus and my hand automatically turned off the hot water and the cold quickly kept me from falling. I realized I needed  help, but there was not one in my community who were practicing natural remedies. But, I had met a brother who had been trained by Uchee Pines and he was not far away. He came down and did a full fomentation which turned the corner toward my recovery. As I was contemplating the course of events, knowing God has used the fomentations to heal me, even though I was not totally healed. I prayed that He would miraculously heal me fully. The Holy Spirit, revealed to me that I did not need to see God do this in order to prove His ability to do a miracle. I already had saving faith and He had allowed the disease to disable me that I would know of this faith. This was the great miracle that I would trust in Him with my life. We see this in today's lesson.

Even more than God using natural remedies, we see that in coming to Jesus prior to conversion, it is selfishness that causes one to come to Jesus to begin with. We are selfish by nature and thus we can only come to Him for selfish reasons. But, as we learn of Him, our faith is strengthened. We love Him with all of the heart because we see His great love for us. "We love Him, because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Philip T

« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2023, 08:23:46 AM »
Yet the nobleman had a degree of faith; for he had come to ask what seemed to him the most precious of all blessings. Jesus had a greater gift to bestow. He desired, not only to heal the child, but to make the officer and his household sharers in the blessings of salvation, and to kindle a light in Capernaum, which was so soon to be the field of His own labors. But the nobleman must realize his need before he would desire the grace of Christ. This courtier represented many of his nation. They were interested in Jesus from selfish motives. They hoped to receive some special benefit through His power, and they staked their faith on the granting of this temporal favor; but they were ignorant as to their spiritual disease, and saw not their need of divine grace.   

rahab

« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2023, 05:52:12 PM »
Nice testimony Richard about using natural remedies instead of drugs.

Beacon

« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2024, 08:08:10 PM »
"The nobleman wanted to see the fulfillment of his prayer before he should believe; but he had to accept the word of Jesus that his request was heard and the blessing granted."

"This lesson we also have to learn."

"Not because we see or feel that God hears us are we to believe."

"We are to trust in His promises."

"When we come to Him in faith, every petition enters the heart of God."

"When we have asked for His blessing, we should believe that we receive it, and thank Him that we have received it."

"Then we are to go about our duties, assured that the blessing will be realized when we need it most."

"When we have learned to do this, we shall know that our prayers are answered."

"God will do for us 'exceeding abundantly, according to the riches of His glory, and the working of His mighty power."Ephesians 3:20, 16; 1:19."

Many are the promises that men & women make regarding just about everything! However, as we all have experienced, it's only the promises made by Jesus & Our Heavenly Father that come with a solid Iron Clad guarantee. I'm so very glad that we know by experience found in His Word & In our Daily lives that what God promises He is capable of delivering according to our best interest. Remember... Sometime God says, NO - YES or Wait for it..!! because His timing is always with our best interest in mind. Trust Him!!

===========================
Come, every soul by sin oppressed,
  There’s mercy with the Lord;
And He will surely give you rest
  By trusting in His Word.
    Only trust Him! Only trust Him!
  Only trust Him now!
He will save you! He will save you!
    He will save you now!
For Jesus shed His precious blood
  Rich blessings to bestow;
Plunge now into the crimson flood
  That washeth white as snow.
Yes, Jesus is the Truth, the Way,
  That leads you into rest;
Believe in Him without delay,
  And you are fully blest.
Come then, and join the holy band,
  And on to glory go;
In Christ’s redemption take your stand,
  And all His goodness know.

Lyrics:John Hart Stockton (1813-1877)
Music:John Hart Stockton (1813-1877)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2024, 06:48:57 AM »
"The nobleman wanted to see the fulfillment of his prayer before he should believe; but he had to accept the word of Jesus that his request was heard and the blessing granted. This lesson we also have to learn. Not because we see or feel that God hears us are we to believe. We are to trust in His promises. When we come to Him in faith, every petition enters the heart of God. When we have asked for His blessing, we should believe that we receive it, and thank Him that we have received it. Then we are to go about our duties, assured that the blessing will be realized when we need it most. When we have learned to do this, we shall know that our prayers are answered. God will do for us "exceeding abundantly," "according to the riches of His glory," and "the working of His mighty power." Ephesians 3:20, 16; 1:19.

These promises mean so much to our family right now. So many prayers are ascending to the courts above for loved ones and friends who are in distress and trouble. Satan is angry and the more anguish and torment he can bring upon humanity the more his evil heart enjoys. But he is a defeated foe and our hope is in our loving Saviour who is mediating in our behalf. May we never become discouraged because of trials. They will soon be over and we will look back and think..."Heaven is cheap enough."
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2024, 09:29:25 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!! Hallelujah!!

Patience is so important. Jesus was patient with the nobleman. He initially came to Jesus with a conditional faith, but after Jesus revealed to him the selfishness of his motive in making his faith in Jesus conditional on the granting of his request for his son to be healed, he was moved by the love of God in Christ to make a full surrender. Learning more of Jesus, not only he, but his whole household became believers in Jesus! Aren't you thankful for how patient God is with you?

"The nobleman longed to know more of Christ. As he afterward heard His teaching, he and all his household became disciples. Their affliction was sanctified to the conversion of the entire family. Tidings of the miracle spread; and in Capernaum, where so many of His mighty works were performed, the way was prepared for Christ's personal ministry." {The Desire of Ages, page 200, paragraph 2}

It would be well to consider to "account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation" (2 Peter 3:15), and as we surrender the whole heart to Christ, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing as we are empowered to obey God's law of love up to the light He has revealed to us in our life experience! Be noble--accept God's patience with your and yield all you have and are to Him! Praise God!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}