Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--18--"He Must Increase"  (Read 17743 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--18--"He Must Increase"
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2022, 05:54:02 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine!  We all suffer the same difficulty, dying to self. We can do this only when we do not forget God. We are an erring and forgetful people! As you point out, our first work is to unite with Christ and then keep that unity. It is a hard lesson to learn. When we take our eyes off of Jesus, we have no protection against the temptation to sin. We end up in the same place as did Peter when he took his eyes off of Jesus, in the water. But, God loves us and He calls us back to Himself. Let us learn from our mistakes of our great and continual need of Jesus.

Blessings to all on this beautiful Sabbath Day.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2022, 07:18:48 AM »
Praise the Lord and happy Sabbath to you all! Amen, Brother Beacon, Brother Philip, Sister Dorine, and Brother Richard! We need Jesus continually and to be fully surrendered to Him is the only way to have the victorious experience He offers us!

Why does God not always use the same person to accomplish His work?

"The work of God is not to bear the image and superscription of man. From time to time the Lord will bring in different agencies, through whom His purpose can best be accomplished. Happy are they who are willing for self to be humbled, saying with John the Baptist, 'He must increase, but I must decrease.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 182, paragraph 2}

As we realize that God has a thousand ways to provide for us and the furthering of His work of which we know nothing, we can be so grateful to let Jesus be magnified and self be crucified! In complete surrender to Christ we come into union and communion with Him, receiving all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, so the focus will be on how to present His attractive loveliness before the world so others are drawn to Him and enabled to overcome even as He did in true obedience to God! By uniting with Christ by the creative word that produces that which it promises, we can be grateful that God will give us what is best in the furthering of His kingdom, whether that be our promotion to be used in a more prominent way or that we are in the background, either way serving to uplift Jesus and the present truth for this time, and not ourselves!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2023, 08:08:49 PM »
"John had been called to direct the people to Jesus, and it was his joy to witness the success of the Saviour's work."

"He said, "This my joy therefore is fulfilled. He must increase, but I must decrease."

"Looking in faith to the Redeemer, John had risen to the height of self-abnegation. He sought not to attract men to himself, but to lift their thoughts higher and still higher, until they should rest upon the Lamb of God."

"He himself had been only a voice, a cry in the wilderness. Now with joy he accepted silence and obscurity, that the eyes of all might be turned to the Light of life."

Sinful self will always strive for the mastery of our sinful human nature. However, as we submit our life to Jesus he provides the transforming power to change us into His likeness. The question is...Are "WE" willing to let Him do that for us?? We must remember that Jesus said..." Without Me Ye Can Do Nothing "

=======================

O teach me what it meaneth:
  That Cross uplifted high,
With One, the Man of Sorrows,
  Condemned to bleed and die.
O teach me what it cost Thee
  To make a sinner whole;
And teach me, Savior, teach me
  The value of a soul.
  That sacred crimson tide,
The blood and water flowing
  From Thine own wounded side.
Teach me that if none other
  *Had sinned, but I alone,
Yet still, Thy blood, O Jesus,
  Thine only, must atone.
O teach me what it meaneth,
  Thy love beyond compare,
The love that reacheth deeper
  Than depths of self-despair!
Yea, teach me, till there gloweth
  In this cold heart of mine
Some feeble, pale reflection
  Of that pure love of Thine.
O teach me what it meaneth,
  For I am full of sin;
And grace alone can reach me,
  And love alone can win.
O teach me, for I need Thee,
  I have no hope beside,
The chief of all the sinners
  For whom the Savior died.
  The rest which Thou dost give
To all the heavy-laden
  Who look to Thee and live.
Because I am a rebel
  Thy pardon I receive:
Because Thou dost command me,
  I can, I do believe.
O infinite Redeemer,
  I bring no other plea;
Because Thou dost invite me
  I cast myself on Thee.
Because Thou dost accept me
  I love and I adore;
Because Thy love constraineth,
  I’ll praise Thee evermore.

Lyrics:Lucy Ann Bennett (1850-1927)
Music:James William Elliott (1833-1915)
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2023, 07:19:54 PM »
Amen dear Brother Beacon!! What a man!! This is what happens when we see our need of a transformation of character and surrender all to Jesus. Once again, the message is clear for each of us. We can have love, joy, and peace today if we will learn of Him that we may love Him because He first loved us and paid the price for our redemption!

John had by nature the faults and weaknesses common to humanity, but the touch of divine love had transformed him. He dwelt in an atmosphere uncontaminated with selfishness and ambition, and far above the miasma of jealousy. He manifested no sympathy with the dissatisfaction of his disciples, but showed how clearly he understood his relation to the Messiah, and how gladly he welcomed the One for whom he had prepared the way.

Yes, John like you and me came into the world with a fallen nature and could do no good thing until he was born again of the Spirit. And when he love the Lord our God with the whole heart, that divine love transformed him into a saint! Having a fallen nature is not and excuse for sin. We like John may become a partaker of God's divine nature. This promise is most precious. "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust."
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2023, 08:01:18 PM »
"Those who are true to their calling as messengers for God will not seek honor for themselves."

"Love for self will be swallowed up in love for Christ."

"No rivalry will mar the precious cause of the gospel."

"They will recognize that it is their work to proclaim, as did John the Baptist, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29."

"They will lift up Jesus, and with Him humanity will be lifted up."

"Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." Isaiah 57:15.

Are "WE" willing to accept the Challenge presented in Isaiah 57:15??

========================
Thy Holy Spirit, Lord, alone
  Can meet our need today;
His might alone empow’ring us
  Can bring us neath Thy sway.
    Thy Spirit of pow’r with might,
Send in our midst, we pray,
And come upon each seeking soul;
  Baptize us with power today.
Thy Holy Spirit, Lord, alone
  Can grant us Thy desire;
His power alone can turn our heart
  And light the sacred fire.
Thy Holy Spirit, Lord, can give
  The gifts we seek to share;
His pow’r can signs and wonders work
  And stir up holy fear.
Thy Holy Spirit, Lord, can bring
  The show’r we need this hour;
And while we seek, Lord Jesus, come
  In motivating power.
Thy Spirit of pow’r with might,
  Send in our midst, we pray,
And like a rushing, mighty wind
  Sweep over our souls today.

Lyrics:Adapted from Fanny Jane Crosby (1820-1915)
Music:William James Kirkpatrick (1838-1921)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2023, 06:24:07 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Let's trust God to do His work in His perfect way! If you are a converted Christian and walking in the light of His truth, whatever role you have in His service, learn to appreciate how God will not only use you according to your strength and capacity, but He will bring in others to keep it going forward!

"God calls a man to do a certain work; and when he has carried it as far as he is qualified to take it, the Lord brings in others, to carry it still farther." {The Desire of Ages, page 182, paragraph 1}

As we surrender the whole heart to Christ and keep surrendering fully to Him, we can rejoice that our heavenly Father knows how to keep growing the work of saving souls and reaching them for His purposes of grace and blessing! A truly converted person is happy to be anything or nothing as God's providence shall indicate!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2023, 10:50:33 PM »
Amen my dear friends!  It is the work of the worker to point all to Christ and His Word.  To rightly represent Him who gave all for us. One of the great methods of the enemy is to point others to the human rather than the divine. It may appear as contradictory coming from who spends much time on this website writing for the benefit of others, and writing a book to be published for the benefit of others. Do I contradict what I say is the work of the workers for Christ? No. There are many faithful workers who do likewise. There are many more who write books and publish online that are not called of God to do so. The faithful express in their writings that all ought to look to Jesus and His Word, and not continually read what others have to say about the Bible and Jesus. And when reading or listening to us, then go home and open your Bible to see if what we write is in harmony with God and His Word. Cease spending all your time studying and then reporting what others say about the Bible and Jesus.

The people are taught to rely on man for guidance, and thus they fall into error, and are led away from God.   

The work of God is not to bear the image and superscription of man. From time to time the Lord will bring in different agencies, through whom His purpose can best be accomplished. Happy are they who are willing for self to be humbled, saying with John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2023, 07:14:05 AM »
The road to heaven is not wide. It is very narrow and very steep. Self must die. We all can get there if we will look to Jesus for wisdom and strength. If we surrender the whole  heart holding nothing back, not only will this allow Christ to finish the work He began, we will have love, joy, and peace in this world as well as being given eternal life in a world without sin.

So with the followers of Christ. We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full." Colossians 2:9, 10, R. V.   

Amen! Then let us aim to receive the Holy Spirit without measure. Reject every evil thought the moment it appears. Our only hope of doing this is to be fully surrendered to Christ.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2023, 09:48:23 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard!!

It's not that complicated. But IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! We are sinful and we cannot save ourselves. But if we come to Christ and acknowledge our need, accept the grace that He gives us that moves us to repentance, confess and forsake our sins, and truly believe that He pardons us so we can be partakers of the divine nature by abiding in His promises, then we will gladly let God direct our path in His service according to His providences. We need to keep Jesus ever before us as our Savior and Example!

"Christ could say, 'I seek not Mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me.' John 5:30. To Him it is declared, 'Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even Thy God, hath anointed Thee with the oil of gladness above Thy fellows.' Hebrews 1:9. The Father 'giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 180, paragraph 1} 

"So with the followers of Christ. We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ 'dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full.' Colossians 2:9, 10, R. V." {The Desire of Ages, page 181, paragraph 1}

Praise God that Christ IS ENOUGH for EACH OF US! We need to daily be in His word so we can know we are following His character, His counsel, and His plan for us. He lovingly fills the converted believer with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, enabling us to obey Him because we love Him, and strengthening us for present truth duty! We are to respond to the message in Revelation 3:14-22 to overcome even as Jesus did, give the Three Angels' Messages to prepare the world for the second coming of Christ, and realize our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing. When the Holy Spirit is leading us, we are truly free in the blessedness of obedience!

Beacon

« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2023, 09:02:11 PM »
"We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self."

"We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ."

"To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure."

"In Christ "dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full." Colossians 2:9, 10, R. V."

Are "WE" willing to surrender "ALL" to Jesus??

===============================

All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
    I surrender all,
  I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
    I surrender all.
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory to His name!

Lyrics:Judson W. Van de Venter (1855-1939)
Music:Winfield Scott Weeden (1847-1908)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2023, 03:35:32 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon! It is a narrow and steep road to heaven, but all can make it if we will learn of Him who gave all that we might win the battle with self!

The disciples of John had declared that all men were coming to Christ; but with clearer insight, John said, "No man receiveth His witness;" so few were ready to accept Him as the Saviour from sin. But "he that hath received His witness hath set his seal to this, that God is true." John 3:33, R. V. "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life." No need of disputation as to whether Christ's baptism or John's purified from sin. It is the grace of Christ that gives life to the soul. Apart from Christ, baptism, like any other service, is a worthless form. "He that believeth not the Son shall not see life."
     The success of Christ's work, which the Baptist had received with such joy, was reported also to the authorities at Jerusalem. The priests and rabbis had been jealous of John's influence as they saw the people leaving the synagogues and flocking to the wilderness; but here was One who had still greater power to attract the multitudes. Those leaders in Israel were not willing to say with John, "He must increase, but I must decrease." They arose with a new determination to put an end to the work that was drawing the people away from them. 

What a privilege and joy to  point others away from self, and to Christ that they might have the same joy!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2023, 04:51:36 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!!

What is self-abnegation? In the life of John the Baptist, we see it beautifully illustrated!

"Looking in faith to the Redeemer, John had risen to the height of self-abnegation. He sought not to attract men to himself, but to lift their thoughts higher and still higher, until they should rest upon the Lamb of God. He himself had been only a voice, a cry in the wilderness. Now with joy he accepted silence and obscurity, that the eyes of all might be turned to the Light of life." {The Desire of Ages, page 179, paragraph 4} 

When our lives are about Jesus--and not us--in fulfillment of the mission and the message to go to the whole world to prepare for Jesus' second coming (Revelation 14:6-12), as we look to the One who is alone worthy, our lives also may rise to the height of self-abnegation. True conversion brings the soul into harmony with God's law of love and reveals all of the fruits of the Spirit in the life without one missing! As such, the heart is made pure and the desires and purposes are no longer about self, but about the selfless God whose purpose it is to bless others! May you find joy in experiencing what it means to truly live and say, "He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:30).

Dorine

« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2023, 04:54:34 AM »
"John had by nature the faults and weaknesses common to humanity, but the touch of divine love had transformed him. He dwelt in an atmosphere uncontaminated with selfishness and ambition, and far above the miasma of jealousy. He manifested no sympathy with the dissatisfaction of his disciples, but showed how clearly he understood his relation to the Messiah, and how gladly he welcomed the One for whom he had prepared the way."

And the touch of divine love transforms each believer in Jesus today. As we give our all to Him moment by moment He does His work of changing our hearts. Self must be laid in the dust. We live to serve Jesus and to lift Him up to to a dying world.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

rahab

« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2023, 11:56:04 AM »
Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.

Beacon

« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2023, 08:06:29 PM »

"Love for self will be swallowed up in love for Christ"

"No rivalry will mar the precious cause of the gospel.'

"They will recognize that it is their work to proclaim, as did John the Baptist, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29.

"They will lift up Jesus, and with Him humanity will be lifted up."

"Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." Isaiah 57:15."

We need to have the same humility as John! Jesus must be Front and Center  for without with Him " We " can do nothing!!

====HAPPY SABBATH=====

’Tis so sweet to walk with Jesus,
  Step by step and day by day;
Stepping in His very footprints,
  Walking with Him all the way.
    Step by step, step by step,
I would walk with Jesus,
All the day, all the way,
  Keeping step with Jesus.
’Tis so safe to walk with Jesus,
  Leaning hard upon His arm,
Following closely where He leads us,
  None can hurt and naught can harm.
Step by step I’ll walk with Jesus,
  Just a moment at a time,
Heights I have not wings to soar to,
  Step by step my feet can climb.
All the way I’ll walk with Jesus,
  Through the sunshine, through the gloom,
Though His blood-marked steps may lead me
  To the garden, to the tomb.
Here a while we walk with Jesus,
  But the time will not be long
Till the night shall change to morning,
  And the sorrow into song.
Then, with all who walked with Jesus,
  We shall walk with Him in white,
While He turns our grief to gladness,
  And our darkness into light.
Jesus, keep me closer—closer,
  Step by step, and day by day;
Stepping in Thy very footprints,
  Walking with Thee all the way.

Lyrics:Albert Benjamin Simpson (1843-1919)
Music:Albert Benjamin Simpson (1843-1919)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2023, 04:13:42 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Happy Sabbath! Let Christ empty you of self and then fill you with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing so you can gladly walk in the path of obedience and selfless service to glorify God!

"So with the followers of Christ. We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ 'dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full.' Colossians 2:9, 10, R. V." {The Desire of Ages, page 181, paragraph 1}

Philip T

« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2023, 04:46:13 AM »
  Those who are true to their calling as messengers for God will not seek honor for themselves. Love for self will be swallowed up in love for Christ. No rivalry will mar the precious cause of the gospel. They will recognize that it is their work to proclaim, as did John the Baptist, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. They will lift up Jesus, and with Him humanity will be lifted up. "Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." Isaiah 57:15[/size].

This paragraph speaks to us today, are we willing to surrender ourselves to Christ as John the Baptist did. Do we let pride get in the way. We must surrender all to God, letting go of self completely.  God may give us a cause to work on, and in the future pass it on to someone else, we must be humble and contrite and realize it is God's work not our Work, and listen the God's still small voice, and do as God would have us to do, not as we would do.

Beacon

« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2024, 08:04:33 PM »
"It is the grace of Christ that gives life to the soul."

"Apart from Christ, baptism, like any other service, is a worthless form."

"He that believeth not the Son shall not see life."

"The success of Christ's work, which the Baptist had received with such joy, was reported also to the authorities at Jerusalem. The priests and rabbis had been jealous of John's influence as they saw the people leaving the synagogues and flocking to the wilderness; but here was One who had still greater power to attract the multitudes."

'Those leaders in Israel were not willing to say with John, "He must increase, but I must decrease." "They arose with a new determination to put an end to the work that was drawing the people away from them."

"WE" are called to put Jesus First & Last in every thing that "WE" Say & Do. Are "WE" willing to make Jesus First & Last in our Daily Lives???

==============================
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy riven side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure,
Save me from its guilt and power.
Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All could never sin erase,
Thou must save, and save by grace.
Nothing in my hands I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress,
Helpless, look to Thee for grace:
Foul, I to the fountain fly,
Wash me, Savior, or I die.
While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

Lyrics:Augustus Montague Toplady (1740-1778)
Music:Thomas Hastings (1784-1872)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2024, 03:59:13 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon! It is grace and only grace that can transform sinners into saint. Each day we must come to the cross to be fed grace that saves. Grace is more than a Word, it is the transforming power. We have nothing to give if we do not receive the Living Water ourselves. The true teacher of God, like John, will point all to Christ and His Word which is where we find grace.

For a time the Baptist's influence over the nation had been greater than that of its rulers, priests, or princes. If he had announced himself as the Messiah, and raised a revolt against Rome, priests and people would have flocked to his standard. Every consideration that appeals to the ambition of the world's conquerors Satan had stood ready to urge upon John the Baptist. But with the evidence before him of his power, he had steadfastly refused the splendid bribe. The attention which was fixed upon him he had directed to Another......(man) does not realize his dependence on God. The people are taught to rely on man for guidance, and thus they fall into error, and are led away from God. 

It would be very good for us to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ. By beholding His character (His glory) we will be transformed from sinner to saint (2 cor. 3:18).

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2024, 09:12:58 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!

Let us lift Jesus higher and still higher! He is willing to fulfill His promise to us: "For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him" (John 3:34).

As Jesus is kept before us in a daily experience of union and communion with Him, all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing are spontaneous result of a complete surrender to Him as a personal Savior. He imparts to us the grace and strength we need to obey God up to the light He has revealed, making us partakers of the divine nature! With such a connection with heaven, there is no limit to what God can do in and through us in the saving of souls!