Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--56--Blessing the Children  (Read 15291 times)

Dorine and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--56--Blessing the Children
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2023, 09:01:50 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard! Praise God that the Holy Spirit can melt the heart of a child that loves Jesus, even if adults and others are inconsistent or hypocritical. Though it may not be easy for them to look away from imperfect human examples to Jesus, we need to remember that many times children grow up in families where there is so much confusion and worldliness, and yet not see even one as "unreachable." God knows the heart. Love awakens love. Let us go forth encouraged to do what we can to win hearts to the Savior by His method alone.

Praise God for the way Jesus sees us as His children!

"The Saviour regards with infinite tenderness the souls whom He has purchased with His own blood. They are the claim of His love. He looks upon them with unutterable longing. His heart is drawn out, not only to the best-behaved children, but to those who have by inheritance objectionable traits of character. Many parents do not understand how much they are responsible for these traits in their children. They have not the tenderness and wisdom to deal with the erring ones whom they have made what they are. But Jesus looks upon these children with pity. He traces from cause to effect." {The Desire of Ages, page 517, paragraph 5}

When the whole heart is yielded to Jesus, all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be seen in our lives, we will gladly obey God from the new heart up to the light He has revealed to us, and we will be enabled to love souls like Jesus does! Praise God that He does not give up on us, even though we have areas that need to be healed and changed!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2023, 05:30:52 AM »
"In His teaching Jesus came down to their level."

"He, the Majesty of heaven, did not disdain to answer their questions, and simplify His important lessons to meet their childish understanding."

"He planted in their minds the seeds of truth, which in after years would spring up, and bear fruit unto eternal life."

"It is still true that children are the most susceptible to the teachings of the gospel; their hearts are open to divine influences, and strong to retain the lessons received."

"The little children may be Christians, having an experience in accordance with their years."

"They need to be educated in spiritual things, and parents should give them every advantage, that they may form characters after the similitude of the character of Christ."

May God give each parent wisdom to raise their children for Jesus.

====================

Jesus loves the little children,
All the children of the world.
Red and yellow, black and white,
All are precious in His sight,
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Lyrics:Clare Herbert Woolston (1856-1927)
Music:George Frederick Root (1820-1895)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2023, 09:57:39 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!! Praise God for godly parents who help train their children for heaven!!

Let us follow Christ's method alone in reading souls--especially the precious children He loves with infinite tenderness!

"As you win their confidence in you as followers of Christ, it will be easy to teach them of the great love wherewith He has loved us. As you try to make plain the truths of salvation, and point the children to Christ as a personal Saviour, angels will be by your side. The Lord will give to fathers and mothers grace to interest their little ones in the precious story of the Babe of Bethlehem, who is indeed the hope of the world." {The Desire of Ages, page 517, paragraph 1}

As we surrender fully to Christ in a living-faith surrender, all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be seen in our lives, and we will be enabled to obey God up to the light He has shed on our path, walking in Jesus' victory!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2023, 02:58:11 PM »
Amen my dear brothers! So much in today's chapter.

In working for the conversion of our children, we should not look for violent emotion as the essential evidence of conviction of sin. Nor is it necessary to know the exact time when they are converted. We should teach them to bring their sins to Jesus, asking His forgiveness, and believing that He pardons and receives them as He received the children when He was personally on earth.

Sounds like a good plan for all of us who weren't taught that when we were little ones.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2023, 08:42:29 PM »
 "Jesus looks upon the children with unutterable longing".

"His heart is drawn out, not only to the best-behaved children, but to those who have by inheritance objectionable traits of character."

"Many parents do not understand how much they are responsible for these traits in their children."

"They have not the tenderness and wisdom to deal with the erring ones whom they have made what they are."

"Jesus looks upon these children with pity. He traces from cause to effect "       

"He says to all parents " Come unto me all ye who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest."

Do we sense our responsibly to all God's little ones 

===========================

Jesus loves the little children,
All the children of the world.
Red and yellow, black and white,
All are precious in His sight,
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2023, 06:37:00 AM »
What a joy it can be to follow in the steps of Jesus and point precious children to Him as Lord and Savior! All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will come into the heart of a little converted child who surrenders fully to the Savior and walks in humble obedience, trusting that His plan for life is best! 

"The Christian worker may be Christ’s agent in drawing these children to the Saviour. By wisdom and tact he may bind them to his heart, he may give them courage and hope, and through the grace of Christ may see them transformed in character, so that of them it may be said, 'Of such is the kingdom of God.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 517, paragraph 6}

Let us all choose to cooperate with Jesus in His work to save every soul possible! Every child in the world (older or younger) is precious to Him—including you!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2023, 01:06:43 PM »
Amen my dear friends! Such important truths!

The Christian worker may be Christ's agent in drawing these children to the Saviour. By wisdom and tact he may bind them to his heart, he may give them courage and hope, and through the grace of Christ may see them transformed in character, so that of them it may be said, "Of such is the kingdom of God."

What truth!! Yes, children may be transformed in character!  The truth being presented to us is not only what we can do for children, but for adults also. We can be used by God to draw all to Himself. We can give all courage and hope and through God's grace we can see them converted, transformed in character!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2023, 08:19:52 PM »
"Jesus looks upon the children with unutterable longing."

"His heart is drawn out, not only to the best-behaved children, but to those who have by inheritance objectionable traits of character."

"Many parents do not understand how much they are responsible for these traits in their children. They have not the tenderness and wisdom to deal with the erring ones whom they have made what they are."

"But Jesus looks upon these children with pity."

"He traces from cause to effect.'"

"As you win their confidence in you as followers of Christ, it will be easy to teach them of the great love wherewith He has loved us."

"As you try to make plain the truths of salvation, and point the children to Christ as a personal Saviour, angels will be by your side."

"The Lord will give to fathers and mothers grace to interest their little ones in the precious story of the Babe of Bethlehem
."

'He is indeed the hope of the world.""

The second sentence above contains a wonderful promise for all parents. Let us who have children pray earnestly for wisdom, that through the power of the Holy Spirit they may be drawn to Jesus and placed on a Heaven Bound Pathway to Heaven.

======================
Jesus loves me, this I know,
For the Bible tells me so;
Little ones to Him belong;
They are weak, but He is strong.
    Yes, Jesus loves me,
Yes, Jesus loves me,
Yes, Jesus loves me,
The Bible tells me so.
Jesus, take this heart of mine;
Make it pure and wholly Thine.
Thou hast bled and died for me;
I will live henceforth for Thee.
    Yes, I love Jesus.
Yes, I love Jesus.
Yes, I love Jesus.
In prayer I tell Him so.

Lyrics:Anna Bartlett Warner (1820-1915);
Chorus by William Batchelder Bradbury (1816-1868)

HAPPY SABBATH TO YOU ALL ON PLANET EARTH AND BEYOND.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2023, 03:58:19 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Happy Sabbath! Look to Jesus, the Pattern of godly character for us to follow! By surrendering fully to Him, He gives us a new heart and mind imbued with the Holy Spirit so love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, meekness, goodness, faith and temperance flow forth in the life without one of the traits of the divine nature missing!

"Jesus was the pattern for children, and He was also the father's example. He spoke as one having authority, and His word was with power; yet in all His intercourse with rude and violent men He did not use one unkind or discourteous expression. The grace of Christ in the heart will impart a heaven-born dignity and sense of propriety. It will soften whatever is harsh, and subdue all that is coarse and unkind. It will lead fathers and mothers to treat their children as intelligent beings, as they themselves would like to be treated." {The Desire of Ages, page 515, paragraph 5} 

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7:12).
Let us heed the golden rule and be a blessing to others by abiding in Jesus! True obedience to His law of love comes from beholding Him and being changed into His image, from glory to glory, from character to character!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2023, 05:25:02 AM »
Amen dear brothers!!  We have a wonderful opportunity to bless the children.

As the Holy Spirit moves upon the hearts of the children, co-operate with His work. Teach them that the Saviour is calling them, that nothing can give Him greater joy than for them to give themselves to Him in the bloom and freshness of their years.   
     The Saviour regards with infinite tenderness the souls whom He has purchased with His own blood. They are the claim of His love. He looks upon them with unutterable longing. His heart is drawn out, not only to the best-behaved children, but to those who have by inheritance objectionable traits of character. Many parents do not understand how much they are responsible for these traits in their children. They have not the tenderness and wisdom to deal with the erring ones whom they have made what they are. But Jesus looks upon these children with pity. He traces from cause to effect.
     The Christian worker may be Christ's agent in drawing these children to the Saviour. By wisdom and tact he may bind them to his heart, he may give them courage and hope, and through the grace of Christ may see them transformed in character, so that of them it may be said, "Of such is the kingdom of God." 

Beacon

« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2024, 08:07:48 PM »
"The Saviour regards with infinite tenderness the souls whom He has purchased with His own blood."

"They are the claim of His love. He looks upon them with unutterable longing."

"Many parents do not understand how much they are responsible for these traits in their children."

"They have not the tenderness and wisdom to deal with the erring ones whom they have made what they are." 

"But Jesus looks upon these children with pity. He traces from cause to effect."

"The Christian worker may be Christ's agent in drawing these children to the Saviour."

"By wisdom and tact he may bind them to his heart, he may give them courage and hope, and through the grace of Christ may see them transformed in character, so that of them it may be said, "Of such is the kingdom of God."

Let "US" Pray earnestly for Wisdom & Tact when dealing with God's children giving them Courage and Hope.

===========================
All my doubts I give to Jesus;
  I’ve His gracious promise heard:
I shall never be confounded,
  I am trusting in that word.
    I am trusting, fully trusting,
  Sweetly trusting in His word;
I am trusting, fully trusting,
    Sweetly trusting in His word.
All my sins I lay on Jesus,
  He doth wash me in His blood,
He will keep me pure and holy,
  He will keep me close to God.
All my fears I give to Jesus,
  Rests my weary soul on Him;
Though my way be hid in darkness,
  Never can His light grow dim.
All my joys I give to Jesus,
  He is all I want of bliss;
He of all the worlds is Master;
  He has all I need in this.
All I am I give to Jesus;
  All my body, all my soul;
All l have, and all I hope for,
  While eternal ages roll.

Lyrics:J. C. Morgan
Music:George Coles Stebbins (1846-1945)

Dorine

« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2024, 05:47:10 AM »
"As the Holy Spirit moves upon the hearts of the children, co-operate with His work. Teach them that the Saviour is calling them, that nothing can give Him greater joy than for them to give themselves to Him in the bloom and freshness of their years."

This is an encouraging chapter for parents but how many have ever read it. What a blessing it is to see parents who understand their responsibility in the training of their children for Christ. There is an atmosphere of peace and happiness in the family even when difficulties arise. Each member of the church also has a responsibility to represent Christ to them. Especially those children who have not been trained and do not know how to behave. Many times the misbehavior is because they are longing for love and attention. Angels are ready to help in the tender cultivation of bringing these little ones to Jesus. They are never too young to present Jesus to them. Even as an infant in our arms they will be influenced by our tender touch, songs of Jesus, our prayers for them and a routine that brings a sense of stability and love.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2024, 07:03:36 AM »
Amen dear Sister! if this were the only reason, the only lesson learned, by reading Desire of Ages daily what a blessing would be gained for child and parent. Amen Brother Beacon! I too was greatly impressed with this truth:

Yes, even the little ones may reflect the righteousness of Christ in their own lives. The grace of God will transform their character. And not only will parents be blessed by reading Desire of Ages, but also those who want to bless children, especially those who have by inheritance objectionable traits of character.

Philip T

« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2024, 07:28:43 AM »
  In working for the conversion of our children, we should not look for violent emotion as the essential evidence of conviction of sin. Nor is it necessary to know the exact time when they are converted. We should teach them to bring their sins to Jesus, asking His forgiveness, and believing that He pardons and receives them as He received the children when He was personally on earth.

Salvation only comes through Jesus, the children walk the same pathway to salvation as do adults, we need to be willing to show and teach children this most vital truth, showing them the love of Jesus. The church has a responsibility to help in this process, it is not just the work of the parents.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2024, 06:22:31 PM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine, Brother Richard, and Brother Philip!

Let us choose to unite with Jesus in winning souls--especially children--to Christ! All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be revealed in our lives as we surrender fully to Christ and let Him live out His life in us! Praise God!

"The Christian worker may be Christ's agent in drawing these children to the Saviour. By wisdom and tact he may bind them to his heart, he may give them courage and hope, and through the grace of Christ may see them transformed in character, so that of them it may be said, 'Of such is the kingdom of God.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 517, paragraph 6}

The kingdom of God begins in the heart that is truly converted. Even a little child can have the peace and love that Jesus gives them as they grow in His grace and truth! Praise God!

Beacon

« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2024, 08:02:50 PM »
"The Saviour regards with infinite tenderness the souls whom He has purchased with His own blood."

"They are the claim of His love."

He looks upon them with unutterable longing. His heart is drawn out, not only to the best-behaved children, but to those who have by inheritance objectionable traits of character."

"Many parents do not understand how much they are responsible for these traits in their children. They have not the tenderness and wisdom to deal with the erring ones whom they have made what they are."

"Jesus looks upon these children with pity. He traces from cause to effect."

"The Christian worker may be Christ's agent in drawing these children to the Saviour. By wisdom and tact he may bind them to his heart, he may give them courage and hope, and through the grace of Christ may see them transformed in character, so that of them it may be said, "Of such is the kingdom of God."

How we treat our children as they grow year by year will have a large influence in the characters they develop!! God forbid that we might cause a child to lose there eternal life through our influence!

==============================
Jesus bids us shine with a clear, pure light,
Like a little candle burning in the night;
In this world of darkness, we must shine,
You in your small corner and I in mine.
Jesus bids us shine, then, for all around
Many kinds of darkness in this world abound—
Sin and want and sorrow; we must shine,
You in your small corner, and I in mine.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #116 on: Today at 02:32:39 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Praise the Lord for the way the Holy Spirit draws children! We can cooperate with Jesus in being a blessing to them! And when we do surrender all to Christ, we can partake of that childlike confiding trust in Christ as our Savior to guide and lead us in life, imbuing us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

"It is still true that children are the most susceptible to the teachings of the gospel; their hearts are open to divine influences, and strong to retain the lessons received. The little children may be Christians, having an experience in accordance with their years. They need to be educated in spiritual things, and parents should give them every advantage, that they may form characters after the similitude of the character of Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 515, paragraph 1}

As the character of Christ is wrought in mind and soul in harmony with true obedience to God's law, children can enjoy being blessing wherever they are. Let us encourage the generous, loving impulses of childhood!

Dorine

« Reply #117 on: Today at 04:32:22 AM »
"Parents, in the training of your children, study the lessons that God has given in nature. If you would train a pink, or rose, or lily, how would you do it? Ask the gardener by what process he makes every branch and leaf to flourish so beautifully, and to develop in symmetry and loveliness. He will tell you that it was by no rude touch, no violent effort; for this would only break the delicate stems. It was by little attentions, often repeated. He moistened the soil, and protected the growing plants from the fierce blasts and from the scorching sun, and God caused them to flourish and to blossom into loveliness. In dealing with your children, follow the method of the gardener. By gentle touches, by loving ministrations, seek to fashion their characters after the pattern of the character of Christ."

Oh the precious gems in this chapter for parents. I love this description of how to guide and train a child. For some of us our time has past but we still have opportunities to exert a heavenly atmosphere and influence to the children we come into contact with. The greatest reward will be to have our children in heaven with us.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #118 on: Today at 05:53:33 AM »
Amen my dear brothers and sister!  What came to my mind is that it is not just our children we need to care for, but our children's children. The truth given to us to lead children to Christ is a great blessing that many do not understand. Thus, we have a work to do with parents who know not the principles of rearing children to be little Christians. As Pastor Sean has shared, children are most susceptible to the teachings of the gospel; their hearts are open to divine influences, and strong to retain the lessons received. Day by day as we study the life of Jesus we find that God is most interested in the development of our character. He wants us to have love, joy, and peace in this world and in the world to come. So it with our children, He instructs us how we can help them form characters after the character of our Savior. As Sister Dorine has shared it is "by gentle touches, by loving ministrations, seek to fashion their characters after the pattern of the character of Christ." And Brother Beacon pointed out that our opportunity is not just with our children, but with other's children who "have by inheritance objectionable traits of character."    And like with adults, what is the power that transforms sinners into saints? We may lead them to understand the love Jesus has for them. The highest form of love is love that is not deserved. It is the joy of the worker be successful.  By wisdom and tact he may bind them to his heart, he may give them courage and hope, and through the grace of Christ may see them transformed in character.

Thus in today's reading we find that it is grace that is the power that changes the character of us and our children into the character of our Savior. "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Cor. 3:18. It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Jesus, especially the closing scenes where we see how much our God loves us with a love we do not deserve. And, it is His wonderful  love that we may teach the little ones.