Author Topic: Common Core Math  (Read 1324 times)

colporteur

Common Core Math
« on: February 03, 2016, 10:43:12 AM »
I put this topic under "natural disasters"  for a reason.

Here is an example of the new "common core" math.

43-13  = ______

Here is the normal way of solving the problem           43
                                                                           ------

Here is "common core"  math made easy.                   

43-13 =

13  + 2   =  15        ( must take the 13 and add number to reach the next number ending in 5
       15  + 5   =  20        ( must add a number to go to next 10)
       20 + 10 =   30         ( must add 10 to get to next 10)
       30+  10 =   40         ( must add 10 to make to next 10)
       40 +  3 =    43         ( must add whatever number it takes to get to 43

Then add up the numbers in the row vertically ( in bold) and you come up with 30. Subtraction made easy, right ?

The only question I have for the geniuses that came up with this math is why they did not incorporate division, multiplication, fractions and decimals in the equation ? In their effort to make this easy and logical they might have been able to go on all day with this. One thing I do have to give them credit for though. They did come up with the correct answer in the end.  That is not always the case with "common core" math.  :-D

The con though, is that 50% of the class fell asleep mid way through the equation. The other 50% hung in there but in their effort to use "common core" math to add up  2+5+10+10+3   they are still working on it. 

Not to fret though they all get an  A

It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Common Core Math
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 11:54:23 AM »
I see a problem with this simple math, cp.

What to do with children without fingers? How do they know what number to use when figuring out what number must be added to 13 to get to 15? If they do not know how to subtract 13 from 15, how do they know to use 2?  With fingers it is easy, you just keep adding a finger until you get to 15, then count how many fingers you added. I guess maybe they can use toes?

Yes, we are coming to the end of all things. There is a separation taking place. Those who depend upon the wisdom of man and those who look to God for their wisdom. Pity the poor children.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of His Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Cop

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 09:44:19 AM »
Regarding Common Core math, and other such hare-brained ideals, I often think it as a fulfillment of Isaiah 29: 14. It is quoted in the NIV:

"Therefore once more I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder; the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
Stonewall Jackson

colporteur

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 01:48:58 PM »
I see a problem with this simple math, cp.

What to do with children without fingers? How do they know what number to use when figuring out what number must be added to 13 to get to 15? If they do not know how to subtract 13 from 15, how do they know to use 2?  With fingers it is easy, you just keep adding a finger until you get to 15, then count how many fingers you added. I guess maybe they can use toes?

Yes, we are coming to the end of all things. There is a separation taking place. Those who depend upon the wisdom of man and those who look to God for their wisdom. Pity the poor children.

They would have to learn how to subtract 13 from 15. If they know that they can subtract 13 from 43. Maybe they could lay 43 jelly beans on the table, eat 13 and then count how many is left ?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 12:07:36 PM »
Yes, cp, that is the old way of learning. The new way is just a little more complicated with jelly beans. Give it a try.  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of His Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.