Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--9--Days of Conflict  (Read 6747 times)

Ann B

Re: The Desire of Ages--9--Days of Conflict
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2018, 09:05:16 AM »
Pastor Sean you have painted a most beautiful word picture of the experience that comes to the person that spends that special time early in the morning with Jesus. That is where He received His strength to meet the day. If He needed it, we need it much more.

I'm encouraged today as I read how Jesus handled temptations and trials. We can meet them just as He did. 

"But to every temptation He had one answer, "It is written." He rarely rebuked any wrongdoing of His brothers, but He had a word from God to speak to them. Often He was accused of cowardice for refusing to unite with them in some forbidden act; but His answer was, It is written, "The fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding." Job 28:28. 

And then there is this familiar text that I love so much.....

"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee" Ps. 119:11

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2018, 10:58:26 PM »
Amen, dear Sister Ann. It is such a blessing to have you posting in our little fellowship!   What a difference knowing Jesus makes in our lives!!. Thank you for your thoughts on today's reading.

Jesus loved His brothers, and treated them with unfailing kindness; but they were jealous of Him, and manifested the most decided unbelief and contempt. They could not understand His conduct. Great contradictions presented themselves in Jesus. He was the divine Son of God, and yet a helpless child. The Creator of the worlds, the earth was His possession, and yet poverty marked His life experience at every step. He possessed a dignity and individuality wholly distinct from earthly pride and assumption; He did not strive for worldly greatness, and in even the lowliest position He was content. This angered His brothers. They could not account for His constant serenity under trial and deprivation. They did not know that for our sake He had become poor, that we "through His poverty might be rich." 2 Corinthians 8:9. They could understand the mystery of His mission no more than the friends of Job could understand his humiliation and suffering. 

Such love! That the King of Kings would come to our dark spot in the universe a helpless babe!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2018, 06:08:58 AM »
There is so much in today's chapter to share but I'm going to stick to just this one simple sentence.

Of the bitterness that falls to the lot of humanity, there was no part which Christ did not taste.

It would be good for us to remember this in that He knows personally what it's like to be in this world. This should encourage us. Christ even experienced what it's like to have a divided home. I had never thought of that until now as I type this out. We can look to Him for strength and as one who personally understands our struggles.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2018, 07:36:26 AM »
Amen, Jim! Jesus understands our weaknesses and infirmities, and He knows just what we need. While He walked this earth some 2,000 years ago, He is still the same tender, merciful Savior today, and He can provide for us in so many ways as we turn our lives over to Him in full surrender. I love the picture of Jesus presented in The Desire of Ages, as it draws my heart to Him!

"Jesus worked to relieve every case of suffering that He saw. He had little money to give, but He often denied Himself of food in order to relieve those who appeared more needy than He. His brothers felt that His influence went far to counteract theirs. He possessed a tact which none of them had, or desired to have. When they spoke harshly to poor, degraded beings, Jesus sought out these very ones, and spoke to them words of encouragement. To those who were in need He would give a cup of cold water, and would quietly place His own meal in their hands. As He relieved their sufferings, the truths He taught were associated with His acts of mercy, and were thus riveted in the memory." {The Desire of Ages, page 87, paragraph 1}

May we speak words of encouragement and seek to relieve the suffering around us in the way Jesus did. He loved others because the love of the Father was in Him. When His love reigns in our hearts, we have peace with God and are enabled to go about doing good like Jesus, for He lives out His life in us by the Holy Spirit. 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2018, 08:31:35 AM »
"As the condition of the people began to open to His mind, He saw that the requirements of society and the requirements of God were in constant collision. Men were departing from the word of God, and exalting theories of their own invention. They were observing traditional rites that possessed no virtue. Their service was a mere round of ceremonies; the sacred truths it was designed to teach were hidden from the worshipers. He saw that in their faithless services they found no peace. They did not know the freedom of spirit that would come to them by serving God in truth. Jesus had come to teach the meaning of the worship of God, and He could not sanction the mingling of human requirements with the divine precepts. He did not attack the precepts or practices of the learned teachers; but when reproved for His own simple habits, He presented the word of God in justification of His conduct." 

What a chapter. Like Jim I had a hard time deciding which gem stood out more than the others this morning. This paragraph spoke to me in a specific way. When we don't know the best way to deal with a particular challenge we just only need to watch and listen to Jesus.

This whole chapter in particular opens a window of understanding into my own life and how I respond to situations that I don't agree with. As I read I hear the Holy Spirit speaking to me (through my thought processes) the areas I am most weak in and need surrendering to Him. It's a most humbling and convicting revelation.  Sometimes it just a small thing to us but it could cost us our eternal life if not dealt with. I thank God for the times He must step on my toes. It hurts but it's for my eternal good.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2018, 09:52:59 AM »
Amen, dear Sister.  If we want to bed a blessing to others, then we need to be fully surrendered. We have an example of how we are to walk. If we will learn of Him who gave all for us, then we will have power to walk as Jesus did. I was impressed with the truth that Jesus had to walk alone not only when He began His formal ministry, or when He was a youth, but also in His childhood. We do not half understand what Jesus endured for our sake.

And, we are to have the same burden as Jesus had. When His witnesses we are to be the light in this world that is soon to perish. We have been given the light that we might do as Jesus did, lead sinners to physical and spiritual health.

Jesus was the healer of the body as well as of the soul. He was interested in every phase of suffering that came under His notice, and to every sufferer He brought relief, His kind words having a soothing balm. None could say that He had worked a miracle; but virtue--the healing power of love--went out from Him to the sick and distressed. Thus in an unobtrusive way He worked for the people from His very childhood. And this was why, after His public ministry began, so many heard Him gladly.
     Yet through childhood, youth, and manhood, Jesus walked alone. In His purity and His faithfulness, He trod the wine press alone, and of the people there was none with Him. He carried the awful weight of responsibility for the salvation of men. He knew that unless there was a decided change in the principles and purposes of the human race, all would be lost. This was the burden of His soul, and none could appreciate the weight that rested upon Him. Filled with intense purpose, He carried out the design of His life that He Himself should be the light of men.

What a blessing it is to have this little fellowship that daily enjoys sharing about our Savior. We pray that our little group will grow quickly as we near the end.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.