Author Topic: Plants, Flowers and Other Things  (Read 23108 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Plants, Flowers and Other Things
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2017, 08:21:22 AM »
There are some who read here who will probably immediately recognize this flower. It's definately a regional flower and tiny tiny. If memory serves me correctly it was about 1/2 the size of my pinky finger fingernail. They may get larger I do not know but that was the size when I took the pic.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2017, 03:16:33 PM »
What comes to mind is "Red Maids," but I'm not sure, since it's been so long since I saw them growing--and that was more than 45 years ago in Calif.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2017, 03:30:29 PM »
Wally! your memory has served you well. They are indeed Red Maids!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2017, 02:31:33 AM »
Where did you take the picture?  I thought they were a western flower.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2017, 04:53:53 AM »
Where did you take the picture?  I thought they were a western flower.

Your reasoning skills have not failed you either Wally :)   I took that picture the same place I took this picture.

A couple of weeks back I made a trip to the Superstition Mountains to hike with an old friend.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2017, 02:28:58 PM »
Nice to know that I haven't totally lost my mind.  ;D

I've never been to the Superstition Mts.  They look interesting, though.  Most of my time in Arizona (other than a few of trips to the Grand Canyon) has been spent in the southeast corner (Chiricahua Mts.) and in the desert.  That's where a lot of Arizona's unique birds are found.

My last true hike in Arizona was in the spring of 1969.  I foolishly let 2 friends talk me into hiking from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, down to the Colorado River, and than back out again--in one day!  It was a 20 mile hike. They were both long distance runners; I was not.  ::)

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2017, 09:17:58 AM »
I foolishly let 2 friends talk me into hiking from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, down to the Colorado River, and than back out again--in one day!  It was a 20 mile hike. They were both long distance runners; I was not.  ::)

Now that would be a hike. Now they have warning signs about people to not over estimate their physical abilities. If they have to pull you out, you have to pay for the effort. I saw the trail from the edge and I can could tell by all the switchbacks it would be one "interesting" hike. Besides I hate long down hills. They kill my knees. I'd much rather go up hill even if I do get out of breath.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2017, 12:39:36 PM »
Well, I was 18 years old then.  Other than being really tired at the end, I wasn't the worse for wear.  I'm not sure I'd even attempt it now, at my advanced age.  ;D  Down first and then up, is the worst kind of hiking, in my opinion.  I'd rather go up when I'm fresh, and down at the end.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2017, 11:39:47 AM »
Trumpet Lichen (Cladonia Fimbriata)

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2018, 05:42:18 PM »
This won't take much guessing, especially for Wally  :)

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2018, 03:13:04 AM »
It is that time of year.  Our freezer has a good supply of them.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »
This year I have never before walked through so many blueberries in my life. You could just bend down and scoop up a handful without much effort.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2018, 09:52:22 AM »
Does anyone know their ferns?

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2018, 02:01:27 AM »
It would be easier to tell if they weren't so clustered together.  One individual fern would be easier to identify. The first thing that came to mind was Bracken, but I'd need a better look.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2018, 06:01:04 AM »
Yes Wally, they are Bracken Ferns. I'd say they make up about 85% of the fern population in the UP. After a rain they make for a very wet hike.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2018, 03:25:18 PM »

Have forgot what their name is - I like the colors They are in the redhot poker family. I would love to buy a few of them, especially if shade tolerant.

I assume these two varieties are tropical so can't grow them in zone 7a or 7b

Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}