Author Topic: Plants, Flowers and Other Things  (Read 23110 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Plants, Flowers and Other Things
« on: January 20, 2016, 10:09:03 AM »
Since starting the Animal Tracks topic I thought it might also be fun to have a topic for plants and "other things". By "other things" I mean mushrooms, fungus-es etc. Some of the pics I do know the identity of the flower/plant but others I do need help with. Here is the first one.

Some info if it helps. This picture was taken in late mid to late August and on Isle Royale.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

Re: Plants, Flowers and Other Things
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »

ahh -
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 04:21:30 PM »
That is my response also Cp. I showed this to someone else who has pointed me to what he believes it to be but I'm not convinced. This is one of those times that I'm hoping others can help. I wish I had include more of the plant and especially the leaves. I'll be more thorough the next time I take pictures of the unknown.

Also this plant isn't very big at most about 12 inches. Assuming I'm remembering correctly. It's been about a year and a half since that picture was taken.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Vicki

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 03:57:40 PM »
I am not botanically inclined, so I cannot say much more than "Fascinating. Let us know what you find out."  :)

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 07:18:13 PM »
Vicki, I must say this not my strong area either. I do prefer animals and their tracks :)  but flowers isn't far behind. I'm hoping that someone will have a good idea. Someone told me that they believe it's a relative the Baneberry but while they kinda-sorta look similar I don't think it is.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 11:09:28 PM »
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 06:09:27 AM »
Ed!! Thanks!  Mystery solved. Thank you.  I tried looking but apparently I wasn't as tenacious as you in your search.

I'll be posting another soon.

Ed Sutton

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 10:18:49 AM »
Hint it's kin to a blueberry,but wilder in flavor, loves semi shade in the woods, and has a name hunters try to shoot in the fall, and game wardens fine if the hunters shoot the doe in stead.           ---- berry ?   

No peeking till you give up then use the links.  We used to pick gallons of them back home, eat them ripe or they are very sour, have a very purple staining juice, freezing is better than jams or jellies using them.

My aunt would pour them in very big freezer bags, lay them flat, shake to loosen berries apart once frozen, pour into wide mouth freezer jars ( glass), would keep better.

https://youtu.be/Ee_bcuGxkf4 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_stamineum 
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Ed Sutton

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 11:14:03 AM »
Almost impossible to find pictures of the WNC wild buckberry - berry shaped like a purple blue black hershey's kiss, with an open gray ring on the bottom of the berry. 

Seem to be related to blueberries and huckleberries, notice the name bilberries (also called whortleberries like what EGW dreamed of picking) in the website.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/gaylussacia-huckleberry-history-2/ 

http://montanahomesteader.com/foraging-preserving-huckleberries/   

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 01:58:50 PM »
BlueBead Lily    http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/plant-of-the-week/clintonia_borealis.shtml  I hunted the picture in google images till I found it, it grows from New England down to WNC as it's southern most range.

I thought that stuff looked familiar.  I'm not used to seeing it after it goes to seed.  We always just called it Clintonia.  It doesn't grow just anywhere; it has a preferred habitat, and often when you find it, you can also find Pink Lady's Slipper nearby, along with Painted Trillium, and Bunchberry.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 03:15:58 PM »
Here is my next one. Taken spring last year. This plant is probably about 12inces tall. Notice that the flower is actually under the leaf instead of over. I'm guessing that this shouldn't be very hard and it is one of the very few (of my flowers) that I know for certain what it is.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 04:55:57 PM »
Looks like May Apple to me (Podophyllum peltatum).  We don't have them here in the frozen wastelands of Maine, but they were common in Maryland when I lived down there.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Vicki

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 05:01:45 PM »
The flower is beautiful in its simplicity.

Wally posted while I was typing so I searched his suggestion. My vote is with Wally.  :)

Ed Sutton

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 06:56:52 AM »
It's May Apple in flower, lovely and wild and delicate.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 07:04:03 PM »
I have knowledgeable friends! :)  Yes it's a May Apple. Not sure how far they spread across the US so as Wally pointed out they may not grow near you.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 10:30:53 AM »
I'm going to need some help with this one. Yes, I know it should be easy but the name as left me at the moment. This year I'm gonna try to remember to get more of the plant. That would help in identifying it.

click to enlarge

Ed Sutton

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 01:19:18 AM »
Pink like an evening primrose, built like the aster & daisy family, looks like multiple flowers per stalk, does it grow wild ?

Is it a pink kin to "daisy fleabane" a wild aster ?

Ed Sutton

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 05:10:58 AM »

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 10:04:06 AM »
Ed, it was wild that much I can tell you but that is about it. I guess maybe I shouldn't have posted because not only do I not know what it is but I don't even remember now how big/small it was. I'm much better at animals and their tracks since there is a limited variety comparted to the plants of this world.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 08:26:39 AM »

This time I know what it is before I posted the picture.  :)  If it'll help as it's kind of hard to tell from the pic but the flower is inverted and this was found by a stream in the mid-atlantic.