Author Topic: Plants, Flowers and Other Things  (Read 23117 times)

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Plants, Flowers and Other Things
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 04:47:40 PM »
One of the more spectacular wildflowers.  There are varieties out west as well.  We always called them "Tiger Lilies."  They were always a good one to show botany students, because the pistil and stamens are so large.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 08:25:36 PM »
It is beautiful!  I have seen one in the coast range of California. I think it is rare here. I have some photos I will try and find. Don't know its name.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 06:04:03 AM »
One of the more spectacular wildflowers.  There are varieties out west as well.  We always called them "Tiger Lilies."  They were always a good one to show botany students, because the pistil and stamens are so large.

Wally, this is what I thought also at first. But what made me question myself was that the flower is inverted (upside down). However, I admit that what confused me at first is that the coloring is almost exactly that of a Tiger Lily which is almost everywhere here on the sides of roads. However, because of the inverted flower I asked for some help and this is the answer I got. It's actually called "Turk's Cap Lily"

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=LISU

To get this picture I didn't see the stinging nettles I was walking through until it was too late.  Ughh.. that hurts.  lol
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2016, 02:15:46 PM »
When clicking on the picture imagine my delight to see where it was taken.  My home county. 

IMAGE INFORMATION
Photographer: Cressler, Alan
County: Transylvania
State: NC
Location Notes: Blue Ridge Parkway.   
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 08:31:55 PM »
And all this time I thought Transylvania was in Romania!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 07:09:05 AM »
It is beautiful!  I have seen one in the coast range of California. I think it is rare here. I have some photos I will try and find. Don't know its name.

Humbolt Lily maybe?

http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=4804
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 08:16:04 AM »
Yes, Jim, that is it. I did not know it is not only rare in California, but is endemic to California. But, you found it elsewhere?  I have seen it twice in the same place.  Not sure why it does not bloom every year. It is the only one I have seen. It is close to my property in the mountains. Was tempted to move it onto my property, but knew it was rare, so left it where it was.   Thanks for posting the photos and the research.  I was told it was quite rare, but did not know its name. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 08:23:27 AM »
Here is a map where it has been observed. http://www.calflora.org/entry/dgrid.html?crn=4804   

Jim, we both were blessed. The only areas where it has been reported is Southern and Central California.    I thought because of its name, it would be found in Humbolt Co. But, there are no observations there reported.  Ought we report our sightings?  Or is the map out of date?

On second thought, if we did, California might put my property into a United Nations Trust and kick everyone out of the area.  No, we will not report our sighting.  :(   Let's keep it a secret, Jim.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 07:12:58 PM »
With such a rare flower maybe you're correct in keeping the secret to yourself. I can't visually tell a difference between your lily and my lily but they have two different common names and two different scientific names so they must be a bit different.

In the long I agree we were both blessed. I had never seen such a flower before. While this next flower is even rarer I don't have any qualms about not seeing smelling it.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/why-are-so-many-corpse-flowers-blooming-at-once

Ed Sutton

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2016, 06:17:23 PM »
From Richard
I thought Transylvania was in Romania

Richard, it used to be before Romania absorbed it.   Once there were two Transylvania's, but now only one officially left.   But Western NC is a good place to keep it. 
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2016, 02:47:35 PM »
Hepatica

Hepatica; Sweet flower of the shade
Pink, Lavender and blue and white your dress
You show your modest face in every glade
and blossom there some lonely one to bless.

Hepatica; I love thy tints so rare
reflecting all the colors of the sun
you tell me of the heavenly Father's care
and help me live & smile till my short day is done.

Hepatica; Tis in the early spring ya bloom
I come to seek your sunny little face
and find you as  you burst your leafy tomb
my foot prints near, each will mark the place.

Ada Burgess

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2016, 12:40:14 PM »
If you know what this is I'd like to know too!

Vicki

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2016, 01:50:32 PM »
Interesting. Is that a mushroom or a flower?

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »
Vicki, I believe it's a mushroom. I did a new trail this weekend as my last backpacking trip for the year. I've nicked named my hike "tour de mushrooms". I've never seen so many different kinds of mushrooms in my life. I might share a few more but i was hoping there might be a mushroom expert among us who could identify it for us.

Ed Sutton

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2016, 02:18:24 PM »
Well Ed, if you're correct that means they were edible. However, I'll have to watch someone else eat one before I'd try it. :)

colporteur

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »
Jim, do you tent it or are they one day hikes ?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2016, 06:09:17 PM »
Jim, do you tent it or are they one day hikes ?

Hey Cp, I most definitely as you say "tent it". Half the fun is laying in your tent and listening to the creek you're camped beside or any of the other night sounds. If I know it's not gonna rain I'll leave off the rain fly so I can stare out the screen and watch the moon or stars. Outside of a plethora of mushrooms this time I saw large coyote shoot across the trail in front of me like ghost not making a sound and I heard and saw a raven. They don't live where I do so I'm always grateful to see one. As they say it's the simple things.

Here is a pic to prove that I tent it. Not that  you didn't believe me already.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 05:35:33 AM »
Ok. I'm not sure we will be able to identify it since it's so hidden but here is another mushroom.