Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--4--Unto You a Saviour  (Read 23177 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--4--Unto You a Saviour
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2017, 06:54:11 AM »
Amen, amen, and amen!!

Dorine, your thought awakened in my mind that Mary knew her Son was the Messiah. But, like the rest of fallen humanity, she needed to maintain her connection with God in order to remember this truth. The lies Satan had brought into Israel did not help her when Jesus hung on the cross. The lie that Jesus had come to rule upon an earthly throne, had led her and the nation to lose sight of the fact that the Lamb had to die for our sins that we might be saved. Mary lost hold upon the truth, and did not think Jesus to be who He really was, the Son of God.

Your last thought you shared is the most precious of all I have ever known. How could we ever sin in the light of this most precious truth! Let me share it in its entirety. The opening sentences reveal how important it is.

The story of Bethlehem is an exhaustless theme. In it is hidden "the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God." Romans 11:33. We marvel at the Saviour's sacrifice in exchanging the throne of heaven for the manger, and the companionship of adoring angels for the beasts of the stall. Human pride and self-sufficiency stand rebuked in His presence. Yet this was but the beginning of His wonderful condescension. It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.
     Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss.
     The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2017, 05:20:17 AM »
The heavenly messenger had quieted their fears. He had told them how to find Jesus. With tender regard for their human weakness, he had given them time to become accustomed to the divine radiance. Then the joy and glory could no longer be hidden. The whole plain was lighted up with the bright shining of the hosts of God. Earth was hushed, and heaven stooped to listen to the song,--

"Glory to God in the highest,
                  And on earth peace, good will toward men."

Oh that today the human family could recognize that song! The declaration then made, the note then struck, will swell to the close of time, and resound to the ends of the earth. When the Sun of Righteousness shall arise, with healing in His wings, that song will be re-echoed by the voice of a great multitude, as the voice of many waters, saying, "Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth." Revelation 19:6.

This morning I had to smile at this. It appears that these angels were bursting with joy and gratitude and good news to the point they could barely contain themselves. Maybe I'm a little over stating it but I like that thought. I can't help but wonder how it is with us. If we've been saved from our self destructive ways by a radical transformation of the heart then wouldn't we also be like these Angels and desiring to tell anyone who would listen?

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2017, 06:28:01 AM »
Amen, Jim!! How can we remain silent when we understand the love God has for us. That He would permit His innocent Son to come to this dark spot in the universe a helpless babe subject to the weakness of humanity to fight the battle of life as each of us must fight it at the risk of failure and eternal loss!! What love!!

The story of Bethlehem is an exhaustless theme. In it is hidden "the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God." Romans 11:33. We marvel at the Saviour's sacrifice in exchanging the throne of heaven for the manger, and the companionship of adoring angels for the beasts of the stall. Human pride and self-sufficiency stand rebuked in His presence. Yet this was but the beginning of His wonderful condescension. It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.
     Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss.
     The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth! 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2017, 08:00:25 AM »
Amen, Jim and Richard! In light of how great a gift God gave us in sending His Son to be born as our brother, we may also marvel at how He was received by those who should have known Him. How is Jesus received in heart and life by those who profess to know Him as we approach His second advent?

"With amazement the heavenly messengers beheld the indifference of that people whom God had called to communicate to the world the light of sacred truth. The Jewish nation had been preserved as a witness that Christ was to be born of the seed of Abraham and of David's line; yet they knew not that His coming was now at hand. In the temple the morning and the evening sacrifice daily pointed to the Lamb of God; yet even here was no preparation to receive Him. The priests and teachers of the nation knew not that the greatest event of the ages was about to take place. They rehearsed their meaningless prayers, and performed the rites of worship to be seen by men, but in their strife for riches and worldly honor they were not prepared for the revelation of the Messiah. The same indifference pervaded the land of Israel. Hearts selfish and world-engrossed were untouched by the joy that thrilled all heaven. Only a few were longing to behold the Unseen. To these heaven's embassy was sent." {The Desire of Ages, page 44, paragraph 1}

I long to behold Jesus in His loveliness and be transformed in character; I long to be like Him and to share how much He means to me. I am thankful that the angels are helping me and each of us who are willing to open our hearts to Him, that we may come to appreciate Jesus and all He is to us!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2017, 01:56:05 AM »
Oh, how I love Jesus! It is because He first loved me, that He was willing to stoop low to take humanity, and leave His Father's throne, to be born as our brother in Bethlehem! Praise God for our Heavenly Father who GAVE us His Son! Well indeed it is to ponder these things in our hearts, and treasure the INCREDIBLE gift of Jesus who will abide in our hearts by faith when we surrender fully to Him! We will know He abides in us as He fills us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, and we live up to all the light of God's law as we know it! We will desire to share who Jesus is to us--a personal Savior!!

"Departing with great joy, they made known the things they had seen and heard. 'And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds. But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart. And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God.' {The Desire of Ages, page 48, paragraph 4}

It is a simple but profound thought--but well would it be to be like Mary, who pondered all that she had heard and seen concerning Jesus! Let us not just spend this "thoughtful hour" with Him now, but keep in constant union and communion with Him by faith as we appreciate His divine presence that will sanctify the waters of every moment of our lives!

"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2017, 11:10:12 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean! We love Jesus because He first loved us. How much do we know how much He loves us? Read the following and we will know how much Jesus loves us, and how much our heavenly Father knows us.

Dorine

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2018, 05:57:26 AM »
As I read this once again I was overcome with a longing to have the privilege of Mary to hold the precious Son of God. To nurture Him, teach Him, protect Him. To me that is the most awesome, profound thought that heaven would stoop so low as to allow sinful humanity to have such an important part in the care of the One who would become our Saviour. I want to have a long chat with Mary some day.

"The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth!"

I don't know that I will ever understand it but with grateful awe I accept it by faith. I can hold Him in my heart and mind and meditate on these things and be blessed all the day long.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2018, 06:16:48 AM »
Amen, Dorine!

I love how we can follow the example of Mary surrounding the birth of Christ. When Christ is born in our hearts by faith, when He abides in us and sheds forth the light of His love in all of the fruits of the Spirit being seen, then indeed well would it be to contemplate and treasure all that Jesus is to us--so we can share Him with others!

"But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart" (Luke 2:19).

And I also contemplate the incredible risk our Father took in sending Jesus to be born in this dark world, to come and share our experience in all things but in sin, and to give us power to overcome as we behold His matchless charms, the loveliness of His character, and surrender our hearts fully to Him:

"Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss." {The Desire of Ages, page 49, paragraph 2}

What love! My heart responds with gratitude to our Father's incredible sacrifice in sending Jesus to save us! Praise God!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2018, 09:44:45 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Sister Dorine!! Wonder O heavens and be astonished O Earth!!! What love!! That God would risk His innocent Son!! We each day we may receive a baptism of the Holy Spirit. One day many years ago I received the greatest baptism of the Holy Spirit I have ever had. I had been reading Gethsemane, Calvary, and It is Finished over and over twice a day, morning and evening. After a couple of months, the Holy Spirit impressed me to start over at the beginning of the book. Sadly, I did. When I got to the third paragraph from the end of this chapter, I was perplexed. We are told it would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ, especially the closing scenes. This is why I was reading those three chapters. And, what blessings I received!  But, when I read this, statement, it appeared to contradict what I had  been experiencing. "The story of Bethlehem is an exhaustless theme. In it is hidden 'the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God.'" Romans 11:33.

But, there are no contradictions in inspiration. So, my mind was spinning around seeking to understand what this statement meant. Knowing God is what converts a sinner daily. It is through a knowledge of God that we are reconciled to Him. "Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan’s sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God’s love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God.  DA 761.

The cross reveals that love, that sacrificial love for us while we were yet sinners. It is by His stripes we are healed. And, I experienced that at a very deep level as I read those three chapters over and over and over. But, here we read that in Bethlehem at the beginning of His life is hidden "the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God." I had to know what was hidden in the incarnation of Christ. As I read, word by word, I was searching for this most important truth. God knew my heart, He was speaking to me in a most remarkable manner. When I got to the part that explains how much Satan hated Jesus, this was something I had missed in the many readings in the past. Now, the Holy Spirit was revealing something so very important. It was into this wicked world where Satan claimed dominion that our heavenly Father allowed His innocent Son to come, a helpless baby. But, not just a baby, a human baby in the "likeness of sinful flesh."  It was not the love of Jesus, I was seeing here. No, it is not the love of Jesus that is being revealed in these three paragraphs. How hard was it for the Father to allow His Son to come to this dark spot in the universe a helpless baby subject to the weakness of humanity at the risk of losing Him for eternity? Three times Jesus went to His Father seeking His approval to stand between Adam and death. Even though the agreement had been made from the foundation of the Earth, it was not easy for God to say "yes" to Jesus.

Just in case I did not understand, God wanted me, and you, to know how He felt about this. Our heavenly Father suffered greatly as He watched His innocent Son be attacked from the moment He was born, til He was crucified on the cross. Why would He suffer so, and risk eternal separation from His Son? For you and for me! Thus, through the prophet, it is laid out in a manner that none can misunderstand. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss. The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth!"

We see the very same love revealed in asking Abraham to sacrifice his son. But, God did not allow Abraham to follow through. Thus, Abraham was given a living lesson in how, to a small degree, God would feel when His innocent Son was tortured and murdered. What a God we serve!!!!  Wonder O heavens and be astonished O Earth!!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2018, 02:27:55 AM »
Jesus stepped so low to save us. We do not even know how low, because our concept of what heaven is like, and the glory of that place, we have yet to behold in all its fullness. I was blessed this morning in beholding Jesus' loveliness, and also impressed by how even if Jesus would have come when Adam was in his innocence, it would have been an almost infinite humiliation.

"The story of Bethlehem is an exhaustless theme. In it is hidden 'the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God.' Romans 11:33. We marvel at the Saviour's sacrifice in exchanging the throne of heaven for the manger, and the companionship of adoring angels for the beasts of the stall. Human pride and self-sufficiency stand rebuked in His presence. Yet this was but the beginning of His wonderful condescension. It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life." {The Desire of Ages, page 48, paragraph 6}

"Innocence" hit me because Christ came when our race was no longer innocent, but guilty. He became sin for us. He would suffer our penalty, to offer us His life--and that life received will transform us because we appreciate the blood He shed for us. This is grace! Grace has power to transform us from being degenerate sinners into renewed saints--saints whose fallen nature can be kept under and the new divine nature can continually manifest itself in all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! What a Savior we have!! What wondrous love! Praise God!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2018, 05:06:03 AM »
I love beholding Jesus!!

“And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night” Luke 2:8.
I love the parallels to Jesus’ first advent and to how He is spreading the light to prepare for His second advent!! God needs faithful shepherds who watch for the sheep by giving the gospel message! I am privileged to get to be one of them as a pastor (shepherd) in the Michigan Conference.

May you be blessed by these morning reflections via YouTube: https://youtu.be/KmUetJuBXyI

Dorine

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2018, 06:03:48 AM »
Thank you Pastor Sean for the "Morning Manna" video clip you shared with us back in September. May God continue to bless you as a powerful witness for Jesus. The very first paragraph strongly impressed me this morning; revealing the heart of Jesus for humanity.

"The King of glory stooped low to take humanity. Rude and forbidding were His earthly surroundings. His glory was veiled, that the majesty of His outward form might not become an object of attraction. He shunned all outward display. Riches, worldly honor, and human greatness can never save a soul from death; Jesus purposed that no attraction of an earthly nature should call men to His side. Only the beauty of heavenly truth must draw those who would follow Him. The character of the Messiah had long been foretold in prophecy, and He desired men to accept Him upon the testimony of the word of God."

Has anything changed? Shouldn't this be our experience also? If Jesus is our example then our lives should be humble, avoiding all that  distracts from heavenly truth. Presenting God's word alone is powerful drawing sincere seekers for truth to Him.  It's hard for me to comprehend what Jesus gave up and went through so that humanity may have another chance. Does your heart burn with gratitude this morning? I may not comprehend it but what's important is if I accept it or not.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2018, 06:13:45 AM »
Heaven and earth are no wider apart today than when shepherds listened to the angels' song. Humanity is still as much the object of heaven's solicitude as when common men of common occupations met angels at noonday, and talked with the heavenly messengers in the vineyards and the fields. To us in the common walks of life, heaven may be very near. Angels from the courts above will attend the steps of those who come and go at God's command.

I think it would be well for us to consider the unseen. Paul says that God "is not far" from anyone of us. Let us remember this. Not to keep us "in line" but to remember that He loves us and watches over us and wishes to be our best friend.

Psalm 139
17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!

18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2018, 07:50:09 AM »
Amen, Dorine and Jim! I was contemplating God as our Father sending Jesus today.

What is the only safety and hope for parents who bring children into this sinful world? Our only safety is in Jesus! The way that He experienced life, and conquered for each of us--including the youngest members of God's family adopted by His atoning blood--is a pledge of encouragement that it is possible to be an overcomer, and at last be in the heaven of bliss where Jesus is now preparing mansions of glory for His redeemed!! Our Heavenly Father considered the risk worth it!! We are of infinite value to God through Christ!!

"Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss." {The Desire of Ages, page 49, paragraph 2}
     "The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. 'Herein is love.' Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth!" {The Desire of Ages, page 49, paragraph 2}

The risk of failure and eternal loss was taken by our Heavenly Father in sending Jesus to this world. But love motivated Him to do it. And so it is love that motivates us to have families and to share the love of God as witnesses in this dark world. Though parents may consider it a risk to bring children into this world, may every eye be directed to the life, sacrifice and example of Jesus. Through Him it is possible to be victorious in this life, revealing the witness of His tender love as the last message of mercy to a world soon to perish.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2018, 02:24:49 AM »
What love! Wonder O heavens and be astonished O Earth!! That God would His innocent Son to come to this dark blot in the universe a helpless babe subject to the weakness of humanity to fight the battle of life as we must fight it at the risk of failure and eternal loss! Jesus could have failed. If He had, then He would have been separated from His Father for eternity. This was the risk. Such love!!  Would we risk our own child? Not physical life, but eternal life? Think about the suffering that our heavenly Father endured. It was not an easy choice. And, it was not immediate when Jesus sought to become our substitute. Three times He sought His Father's approval before it was granted.

Said the angel, “Think ye that the Father yielded up His dearly beloved Son without a struggle? No, no.” It was even a struggle with the God of heaven, whether to let guilty man perish, or to give His darling Son to die for them. Early Writings pg 127.

How was He encouraged to take the risk? It was the loveliness of His Son who pleaded our case.

Sorrow filled heaven as it was realized that man was lost and that the world which God had created was to be filled with mortals doomed to misery, sickness, and death, and that there was no way of escape for the offender. The whole family of Adam must die. I then saw the lovely Jesus and beheld an expression of sympathy and sorrow upon His countenance. Soon I saw Him approach the exceeding bright light which enshrouded the Father. Said my accompanying angel, “He is in close converse with His Father.” The anxiety of the angels seemed to be intense while Jesus was communing with His Father. Three times He was shut in by the glorious light about the Father, and the third time He came from the Father we could see His person. His countenance was calm, free from all perplexity and trouble, and shone with a loveliness which words cannot describe. He then made known to the angelic choir that a way of escape had been made for lost man; that He had been pleading with His Father, and had obtained permission to give His own life as a ransom for the race, to bear their sins, and take the sentence of death upon Himself, thus opening a way whereby they might, through the merits of His blood, find pardon for past transgressions, and by obedience be brought back to the garden from which they were driven. Then they could again have access to the glorious, immortal fruit of the tree of life to which they had now forfeited all right. Ibid. pg126.

Beacon

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2019, 08:14:11 PM »
"The angels had wondered at the glorious plan of redemption. They watched to see how the people of God would receive His Son, clothed in the garb of humanity. Angels came to the land of the chosen people. Other nations were dealing in fables and worshiping false gods. To the land where the glory of God had been revealed, and the light of prophecy had shone, the angels came. They came unseen to Jerusalem, to the appointed expositors of the Sacred Oracles, and the ministers of God's house. Already to Zacharias the priest, as he ministered before the altar, the nearness of Christ's coming had been announced. Already the forerunner was born, his mission attested by miracle and prophecy. The tidings of his birth and the wonderful significance of his mission had been spread abroad. Yet Jerusalem was not preparing to welcome her Redeemer."

/color]  Why was Jerusalem not preparing to meet their long awaited for Redeemer?---Could it be that they were too "BUSY" with worldly interests and concerns....and not the things which mattered the most....Could we be guilty of the same thing today in reference to the the end of the world and the second coming of Jesus? Maybe BUSY means - "Being Under Satan's Yoke"

"With amazement the heavenly messengers beheld the indifference of that people whom God had called to communicate to the world the light of sacred truth. The Jewish nation had been preserved as a witness that Christ was to be born of the seed of Abraham and of David's line; yet they knew not that His coming was now at hand. In the temple the morning and the evening sacrifice daily pointed to the Lamb of God; yet even here was no preparation to receive Him. The priests and teachers of the nation knew not that the greatest event of the ages was about to take place. They rehearsed their meaningless prayers, and performed the rites of worship to be seen by men, but in their strife for riches and worldly honor they were not prepared for the revelation of the Messiah. The same indifference pervaded the land of Israel. Hearts selfish and world-engrossed were untouched by the joy that thrilled all heaven. Only a few were longing to behold the Unseen. To these heaven's embassy was sent."

What a sad, sad, picture this chapter presents!! But lets be honest with ourselves!! How much time are we spending in study, prayer, and sharing the Good News of Christ's Second Coming? Are we preparing to meet the ONE who made our salvation possible??  Are we telling others of His 2nd Coming and how to be ready? Are we spending a thought hour in prayer and reading or are we also too BUSY? Time is running out and the FINAL BOARDING CALL will soon be given. Probation will soon close for plant earth. Will we hear the words  " Well Done " or the most horrible words to reach human ears..." Depart from Me I never knew you."?  There is no middle ground...Jesus said, " You are either for Me or Against Me. What will your choice, my choice, be today??
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2019, 05:05:46 AM »
Love awakens love. As we behold the loveliness of Jesus and contemplate His willingness to exchange heaven's throne for the stall in Bethlehem as a babe, may we better realize how much the Father loves us to give us Jesus as our Brother.

I am again refreshed to contemplate God's infinite love for us, and to see how God worked all things together to fulfill His purpose of having Jesus born at just the right time. Even Caesar was part of the plan!

"Angels attend Joseph and Mary as they journey from their home in Nazareth to the city of David. The decree of imperial Rome for the enrollment of the peoples of her vast dominion has extended to the dwellers among the hills of Galilee. As in old time Cyrus was called to the throne of the world's empire that he might set free the captives of the Lord, so Caesar Augustus is made the agent for the fulfillment of God's purpose in bringing the mother of Jesus to Bethlehem. She is of the lineage of David, and the Son of David must be born in David's city. Out of Bethlehem, said the prophet, 'shall He come forth . . . that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from the days of eternity.' Micah 5:2, margin. But in the city of their royal line, Joseph and Mary are unrecognized and unhonored. Weary and homeless, they traverse the entire length of the narrow street, from the gate of the city to the eastern extremity of the town, vainly seeking a resting place for the night. There is no room for them at the crowded inn. In a rude building where the beasts are sheltered, they at last find refuge, and here the Redeemer of the world is born." {The Desire of Ages, page 44, paragraph 2}

God so desires agents through whom His purposes can be fulfilled. While Caesar was an agency by which God's purpose was fulfilled (whether he knew it or not), how much more does God long for consecrated, converted agencies who discern the loveliness of Jesus and go forth with renewed hearts and minds overflowing with appreciation for what God has done to give the last message of mercy to a world soon to perish! May we be His agents today to uplift Jesus higher and higher, as we contemplate how far He truly came to redeem us--a greater sacrifice than we can fully comprehend, but a love that awakens love in our hearts and gives us courage to go forth to reach others with that same tender, healing love!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2019, 07:53:53 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean!  And how is it that we can get this love for others? The closing paragraphs of today's reading reveals how. We love God because He first loved us while we were yet sinners. Do we see this love? And just because we saw it yesterday does not mean we remember it today. We are fallen creatures that live in fallen evil flesh. We need to remember how much God loves us every day. We must drink in grace daily, for God does not give us grace for tomorrow. Today we ought to fall on our faces as we read of God's love for us.

Do we comprehend what was written? Do we see that God risked His innocent Son for our sake? That Christ could have failed and would have been eternally separated from His Father? Read again, not only that He could have failed, but consider the circumstances facing Jesus from His birth onward.

Yes, wonder O heavens and be astonished O Earth! God does indeed love sinners.

Beacon

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2019, 05:07:13 PM »
"Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss."

"The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth!"

My Praise to Jesus can today be summed up in the words of this song written by George Beverly Shea.
THE WONDER OF IT ALL

Verse 1
There’s the wonder of sunset at evening,
The wonder as sunrise I see;
But the wonder of wonders that thrills my soul
Is the wonder that God loves me.

Refrain
O, the wonder of it all!
The wonder of it all!
Just to think that God loves me.
O, the wonder of it all!
The wonder of it all!

Verse 2
There’s the wonder of springtime and harvest,
The sky, the stars, the sun;
But the wonder of wonders that thrills my soul
Is the wonder that’s only begun.

Refrain
O, the wonder of it all!
The wonder of it all!
O, the wonder of it all!
The wonder of it all!
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2019, 05:23:25 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

God took an incredible risk--greater than we can comprehend--in sending His precious Son to be born as a Babe in Bethlehem and to fight the battle as we also must fight it. The thought struck me today that if we knew God the way Jesus knew Him--not before He was incarnate, but even as He lived by faith--that we, too, would love to obey our Heavenly Father. Though we have sinned, we have a Savior in Jesus and can surrender to Him and be cleansed from sin, learning a new way to live even as He walked! At a very early age Jesus began to act for Himself in the formation of His character and He learned to rely implicitly on a plain and simple "It is written." As we learn of Christ day by day, and discover the infinite loveliness of His character, our lives, too, will be lives of continual obedience as we come to know God as it is our privilege to know Him. Sin will become hateful to us as we see the cost of sin at Calvary's cross and we realize the infinite heights of attainment offered to us in Christ as we cooperate with the Holy Spirit in the formation a true Christian character--a character that by living faith surrender manifests all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing because Jesus reigns on the throne of the heart!

"Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss." {The Desire of Ages, page 49, paragraph 1}