Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--16--In His Temple  (Read 25991 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--16--In His Temple
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 09:47:31 AM »
We see how Jesus dealt with the situation in the temple--and His manner of dealing seemed unlike what the disciples were used to. But Jesus desired the people to understand the temple and its services as pointing to Him, rather than allow the perversion of the truth to go unaddressed. We need Christ in our hearts by the Holy Spirit to be able to know how to deal with different situations in the church, including how the false gospels must be called to account, and the true everlasting gospel given in its purity. When the gospel is clearly understood and we live by faith on the Son of God, we are enabled to reveal all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. We need Jesus continually!

In the cleansing of the temple, Jesus was announcing His mission as the Messiah, and entering upon His work. That temple, erected for the abode of the divine Presence, was designed to be an object lesson for Israel and for the world. From eternal ages it was God's purpose that every created being, from the bright and holy seraph to man, should be a temple for the indwelling of the Creator. Because of sin, humanity ceased to be a temple for God. Darkened and defiled by evil, the heart of man no longer revealed the glory of the Divine One. But by the incarnation of the Son of God, the purpose of Heaven is fulfilled. God dwells in humanity, and through saving grace the heart of man becomes again His temple. God designed that the temple at Jerusalem should be a continual witness to the high destiny open to every soul. But the Jews had not understood the significance of the building they regarded with so much pride. They did not yield themselves as holy temples for the Divine Spirit. The courts of the temple at Jerusalem, filled with the tumult of unholy traffic, represented all too truly the temple of the heart, defiled by the presence of sensual passion and unholy thoughts. In cleansing the temple from the world's buyers and sellers, Jesus announced His mission to cleanse the heart from the defilement of sin,--from the earthly desires, the selfish lusts, the evil habits, that corrupt the soul. "The Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His temple, even the Messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, He shall come, saith the Lord of hosts. But who may abide the day of His coming? and who shall stand when He appeareth? for He is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: and He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and He shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver." Mal. 3:1-3.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 03:54:43 PM »
"Slowly and thoughtfully, but with hate in their hearts, they returned to the temple. But what a change had taken place during their absence! When they fled, the poor remained behind; and these were now looking to Jesus whose countenance expressed His love and sympathy. With tears in His eyes, He said to the trembling ones around Him; Fear not; I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify Me. For this cause came I into the world".

"The people pressed into Christ's presence with urgent, pitiful appeals: Master, bless me. His ear heard every cry. With pity exceeding that of a tender mother He bent over the suffering little ones. All received attention. Everyone was healed of whatever disease he had. The dumb opened their lips in praise; the blind beheld the face of their Restorer. The hearts of the sufferers were made glad."

What a scene of uttermost love and compassion for the humble and sincere of heart. And yet Jesus looked upon the priests and rulers that fled in fear with yearning pity. His heart ached for them all.

This brings me much comfort today for Jesus is just as concerned for each one of us as He was for them.  Will I allow pride cause me to reject His daily invitation to be the King of my life. By God's grace....never.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2018, 02:34:40 AM »
"In the cleansing of the temple, Jesus was announcing His mission as the Messiah, and entering upon His work. That temple, erected for the abode of the divine Presence, was designed to be an object lesson for Israel and for the world. From eternal ages it was God's purpose that every created being, from the bright and holy seraph to man, should be a temple for the indwelling of the Creator. Because of sin, humanity ceased to be a temple for God. Darkened and defiled by evil, the heart of man no longer revealed the glory of the Divine One. But by the incarnation of the Son of God, the purpose of Heaven is fulfilled. God dwells in humanity, and through saving grace the heart of man becomes again His temple. God designed that the temple at Jerusalem should be a continual witness to the high destiny open to every soul. But the Jews had not understood the significance of the building they regarded with so much pride. They did not yield themselves as holy temples for the Divine Spirit. The courts of the temple at Jerusalem, filled with the tumult of unholy traffic, represented all too truly the temple of the heart, defiled by the presence of sensual passion and unholy thoughts. In cleansing the temple from the world's buyers and sellers, Jesus announced His mission to cleanse the heart from the defilement of sin,--from the earthly desires, the selfish lusts, the evil habits, that corrupt the soul. 'The Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His temple, even the Messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, He shall come, saith the Lord of hosts. But who may abide the day of His coming? and who shall stand when He appeareth? for He is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: and He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and He shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver.' Mal. 3:1-3. {The Desire of Ages, page 161, paragraph 1}

As we behold the loveliness of Jesus, and as we experience His character influencing us to develop a like character in our sphere of experience, let us be thankful for His power to cleanse our soul temple as we allow Him to come in. I invite Jesus into my soul temple today to cleanse me from all that is not of Him, so He can abide in me continually and reveal His character and grace through me to others. The evidence that Christ abides in me is that all of the fruits of His Spirit are seen in my life without one missing, and this infilling of His Spirit is the only effectual way for our souls to remain pure and uncontaminated by the temptations to sin from within and without. We must be kept moment-by-moment by Jesus! Let us trust Him and cooperate with His saving grace this Sabbath day!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 06:32:38 AM »
As I read  this chapter again I asked my self the question....which group would I have been found in? The group that fled from the temple or the group that stayed. And what made the difference between the two groups? Why was the group that stayed not frightened away like the others? It reminded me of what will  take place at the second coming. Those that are ready will know and recognize their Friend and Saviour and welcome Him but those that rejected Him are crying for the rocks to fall on them. Evil cannot live in the presence of Truth and Righteousness. So those whose lives do not reveal the character of God are extremely uncomfortable in His presence and only want to hide from it.

I join you Pastor Sean as I too invite the presence of Jesus into my heart this morning, so He can produce beautiful fruit to His glory. Such a humbling thought.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 06:36:40 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Sister Dorine. By beholding his grace we will be transformed into his image day by day. By beholding his love, his grace, our wicked evil hearts can become as white as snow. What a miracle! The temple and its services had a purpose. That purpose was to reveal the grace of God. Today, we have the blazing glory of the cross before us. As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so has the Son  of Man been lifted up, that we might look and live.

This morning we read about the profanation of the temple. It had become a method by which worshipers were being fleeced. Priests were making money instead of revealing the grace of God.

The priests and rulers were called to be the representatives of God to the nation; they should have corrected the abuses of the temple court. They should have given to the people an example of integrity and compassion. Instead of studying their own profit, they should have considered the situation and needs of the worshipers, and should have been ready to assist those who were not able to buy the required sacrifices. But this they did not do. Avarice had hardened their hearts.

Let us behold Jesus that our hearts may be soft and new, not hardened by avarice.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 04:37:03 AM »
"Wherefore He is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him, seeing He ever liveth to make intercession for them." Heb. 7:25. Though the ministration was to be removed from the earthly to the heavenly temple; though the sanctuary and our great high priest would be invisible to human sight, yet the disciples were to suffer no loss thereby. They would realize no break in their communion, and no diminution of power because of the Saviour's absence. While Jesus ministers in the sanctuary above, He is still by His Spirit the minister of the church on earth. He is withdrawn from the eye of sense, but His parting promise is fulfilled, "Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world." Matt. 28:20. While He delegates His power to inferior ministers, His energizing presence is still with His church."

What a powerful promise to cling to today. I feel so privileged to be living at the time I am. We are almost home and between the scriptures and the SOP we have a picture of world history and the prophecies that point to Christs soon return. May our surrender be complete in Jesus so that our walk with Him will be a life of obedience and will reveal all the fruit of the Spirit.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 05:03:42 AM »
Amen, Dorine! Jesus is coming soon! I love how in His cleansing of the temple when He entered upon His ministry, it was for the purpose of glorifying God and being able to minister to souls. There were those who came to Him whose hearts were open to His healing work, and this prepared them to be sympathetic towards Him and the truth He taught when He died on the cross. We can see how opportunities we now have to minister to souls will help prepare many more for the great trials facing our world, that they also may be in sympathy with Jesus and His dear cause.

"At the crucifixion of Christ, those who had thus been healed did not join with the rabble throng in crying, 'Crucify Him, crucify Him.' Their sympathies were with Jesus; for they had felt His great sympathy and wonderful power. They knew Him to be their Saviour; for He had given them health of body and soul. They listened to the preaching of the apostles, and the entrance of God's word into their hearts gave them understanding. They became agents of God's mercy, and instruments of His salvation." {The Desire of Ages, page 163, paragraph 3}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 05:36:34 AM »
But what a change had taken place during their absence! When they fled, the poor remained behind; and these were now looking to Jesus, whose countenance expressed His love and sympathy. With tears in His eyes, He said to the trembling ones around Him: Fear not; I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify Me. For this cause came I into the world.

The people pressed into Christ's presence with urgent, pitiful appeals: Master, bless me. His ear heard every cry. With pity exceeding that of a tender mother He bent over the suffering little ones. All received attention. Everyone was healed of whatever disease he had. The dumb opened their lips in praise; the blind beheld the face of their Restorer. The hearts of the sufferers were made glad.

Amen my friends! and just look at what kind of Savior we have in Christ. To me it's interesting to see who stuck around, look at who wasn't afraid. It was the poor, and probably the uneducated. Instead of running they waited until things quieted down so they could ask for a blessing and there they found a Friend and a Savior. Then later as Pastor Sean pointed out after the crucifixion they also became agents of God's grace and mercy to others. It appears to be contagious!!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 05:32:48 AM »
The people pressed into Christ's presence with urgent, pitiful appeals: Master, bless me. His ear heard every cry. With pity exceeding that of a tender mother He bent over the suffering little ones. All received attention. Everyone was healed of whatever disease he had. The dumb opened their lips in praise; the blind beheld the face of their Restorer. The hearts of the sufferers were made glad.

As the priests and temple officials witnessed this great work, what a revelation to them were the sounds that fell on their ears! The people were relating the story of the pain they had suffered, of their disappointed hopes, of painful days and sleepless nights. When the last spark of hope seemed to be dead, Christ had healed them. The burden was so heavy, one said; but I have found a helper. He is the Christ of God, and I will devote my life to His service. Parents said to their children, He has saved your life; lift up your voice and praise Him. The voices of children and youth, fathers and mothers, friends and spectators, blended in thanksgiving and praise. Hope and gladness filled their hearts. Peace came to their minds. They were restored soul and body, and they returned home, proclaiming everywhere the matchless love of Jesus.

What a scene to imagine! Such love and sympathy! and Jesus' kindness was rewarded with their praise, worship and truly thankful hearts. All of this reminds me of this from the Ministry of Healing.

The Saviour’s work was not restricted to any time or place. His compassion knew no limit. On so large a scale did He conduct His work of healing and teaching that there was no building in Palestine large enough to receive the multitudes that thronged to Him. On the green hill slopes of Galilee, in the thoroughfares of travel, by the seashore, in the synagogues, and in every other place where the sick could be brought to Him, was to be found His hospital. In every city, every town, every village, through which He passed, He laid His hands upon the afflicted ones and healed them. Wherever there were hearts ready to receive His message, He comforted them with the assurance of their heavenly Father’s love. All day He ministered to those who came to Him; in the evening He gave attention to such as through the day must toil to earn a pittance for the support of their families. {MH 17.3}
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 06:18:58 AM »
Amen, Jim! Jesus drew all who would come unto Him, so He could fulfill His purpose of making our soul temples a place for His indwelling. I was deeply struck by what it is that keeps us from being a temple for God--that is sin. And yet my mind was drawn to what Christ experienced on the cross when He became sin for us, and I thought of the great mystery that this is--the Creator who desires to live in each of us would come to this world as a helpless babe culminating in dying from the agonizing separation sin makes in the soul. But the death He experienced was not the end, as He came forth victorious from the tomb to give us His resurrection life! And by beholding this wondrous love, this marvelous grace, we can be set free from sin's power. God offers us the salvation so freely, but it will cost us all our sin and selfishness--for Christ has fully paid for that at the cross. I am so thankful for Jesus, our Lord and Savior! As we yield fully to Him, cleave to Him, cooperate with His grace, our souls are cleansed from sin and we are filled with His divine presence--the Holy Spirit who manifests Himself in all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

"In the cleansing of the temple, Jesus was announcing His mission as the Messiah, and entering upon His work. That temple, erected for the abode of the divine Presence, was designed to be an object lesson for Israel and for the world. From eternal ages it was God's purpose that every created being, from the bright and holy seraph to man, should be a temple for the indwelling of the Creator. Because of sin, humanity ceased to be a temple for God. Darkened and defiled by evil, the heart of man no longer revealed the glory of the Divine One. But by the incarnation of the Son of God, the purpose of Heaven is fulfilled. God dwells in humanity, and through saving grace the heart of man becomes again His temple. God designed that the temple at Jerusalem should be a continual witness to the high destiny open to every soul. But the Jews had not understood the significance of the building they regarded with so much pride. They did not yield themselves as holy temples for the Divine Spirit. The courts of the temple at Jerusalem, filled with the tumult of unholy traffic, represented all too truly the temple of the heart, defiled by the presence of sensual passion and unholy thoughts. In cleansing the temple from the world's buyers and sellers, Jesus announced His mission to cleanse the heart from the defilement of sin,--from the earthly desires, the selfish lusts, the evil habits, that corrupt the soul. 'The Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His temple, even the Messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, He shall come, saith the Lord of hosts. But who may abide the day of His coming? and who shall stand when He appeareth? for He is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: and He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and He shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver.' Mal. 3:1-3." {The Desire of Ages, page 161, paragraph 1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 07:19:40 AM »
Amen Jim and Pastor Sean. There is so much in today's reading. We see justice and mercy in the actions and Words of Christ. He healed all who had come to Him, but others ran fearing for their lives. We see the mission of Christ in cleansing the heart of sinful man. Yes, it is not only possible, it is necessary in order to enter heaven.

I noticed something that will encourage us. We know that Jesus did not tell His disciples everything because they could not bear to hear it. But, in our reading today we find that Jesus did say things that He knew they could not understand. So it is today. There is much that is written we do not understand. We are not to be concerned, for when we need to know, the Holy Spirit is well able to reveal the truth to us. Why would Jesus speak Words that could not be understood? They were for the future when they would be understood. Like Nicodemus when Jesus told him he needed to be born again of the Spirit or he would not enter heaven, He added the story about Moses lifting up the serpent in the wilderness. It was later when he saw Jesus hanging on the cross that the Words became abundantly clear.

Now when they asked for a sign, He answered them by a parable, showing that He read their malice, and saw to what lengths it would lead them. "Destroy this temple," He said, "and in three days I will raise it up."

In these words His meaning was twofold. He referred not only to the destruction of the Jewish temple and worship, but to His own death,--the destruction of the temple of His body. This the Jews were already plotting. As the priests and rulers returned to the temple, they had proposed to kill Jesus, and thus rid themselves of the troubler. Yet when He set before them their purpose, they did not understand Him. They took His words as applying only to the temple at Jerusalem, and with indignation exclaimed, "Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt Thou rear it up in three days?" Now they felt that Jesus had justified their unbelief, and they were confirmed in their rejection of Him.

Christ did not design that His words should be understood by the unbelieving Jews, nor even by His disciples at this time. He knew that they would be misconstrued by His enemies, and would be turned against Him. At His trial they would be brought as an accusation, and on Calvary they would be flung at Him as a taunt. But to explain them now would give His disciples a knowledge of His sufferings, and bring upon them sorrow which as yet they were not able to bear. And an explanation would prematurely disclose to the Jews the result of their prejudice and unbelief. Already they had entered upon a path which they would steadily pursue until He should be led as a lamb to the slaughter.

It was for the sake of those who should believe on Him that these words of Christ were spoken. He knew that they would be repeated. Being spoken at the Passover, they would come to the ears of thousands, and be carried to all parts of the world. After He had risen from the dead, their meaning would be made plain. To many they would be conclusive evidence of His divinity.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 07:41:45 AM »
"As the priests and temple officials witnessed this great work, what a revelation to them were the sounds that fell on their ears! The people were relating the story of the pain they had suffered, of their disappointed hopes, of painful days and sleepless nights. When the last spark of hope seemed to be dead, Christ had healed them. The burden was so heavy, one said; but I have found a helper. He is the Christ of God, and I will devote my life to His service. Parents said to their children, He has saved your life; lift up your voice and praise Him. The voices of children and youth, fathers and mothers, friends and spectators, blended in thanksgiving and praise. Hope and gladness filled their hearts. Peace came to their minds. They were restored soul and body, and they returned home, proclaiming everywhere the matchless love of Jesus."

If we believe that Jesus is the Messiah, our friend and Saviour, we too will be praising Him and teaching our children to do the same. Not as an act of self importance but from a heart of love for God's abundant blessings. My heart is filled with gratitude for all He does for me. There have been some dark valleys but He has been there with me. He gives grace and strength to endure. No matter what the future holds I know He will be there. By beholding Him each day He gives me what I need for that day. I know I'm talking to the choir but sometimes even the choir can be uplifted and encouraged by the testimony of another.

As a side note....I have found many times that I cling to Jesus tighter when facing difficult times than when the waters are calm. I can see where crucibles are allowed so that our faith will be strengthened and our characters formed to fit us for heaven. God is always good.

Dorine

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2018, 09:36:18 AM »
"At the crucifixion of Christ, those who had thus been healed did not join with the rabble throng in crying, "Crucify Him, crucify Him." Their sympathies were with Jesus; for they had felt His great sympathy and wonderful power. They knew Him to be their Saviour; for He had given them health of body and soul. They listened to the preaching of the apostles, and the entrance of God's word into their hearts gave them understanding. They became agents of God's mercy, and instruments of His salvation."

The same is true today. Those that know the healing power of Jesus both physically and spiritually and accept Him as their personal Saviour and friend will respond with hearts of joy to the words of Jesus as they study the scriptures. Lives will be transformed and as they receive the mercies of God will, in turn, share their testimonies with all who will listen. There's nothing so strong as a personal testimony.

Beacon

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 08:56:52 PM »
"In cleansing the temple from the world’s buyers and sellers, Jesus announced His mission to cleanse the heart from the defilement of sin,—from the earthly desires, the selfish lusts, the evil habits, that corrupt the soul.. Because of sin, humanity ceased to be a temple for God. Darkened and defiled by evil, the heart of man no longer revealed the glory of the Divine One, but... by the incarnation of the Son of God, the purpose of Heaven is fulfilled. God dwells in humanity, and through His saving grace the heart of man becomes again His temple." For a time they were convinced that Christ was a prophet; and many believed Him to be the Messiah. The Holy Spirit flashed into their minds the utterances of the prophets concerning Christ. Would they yield to this conviction?"...

"Repent, They Would Not!!"

What will be our response to Jesus today??
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 05:59:39 AM »
Amen, Beacon! We may receive the gift of repentance as we turn completely to Christ and let Him work in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure. His grace has the power to change our sinful, unbelieving hearts and minds into hearts and minds that are converted, made new and filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one of the attributes of the divine nature is missing!

As we study more deeply God's word, we see Christ's true character and mission more clearly. This was one of Christ's great desires and it is also our privilege to seek to awaken a deeper study of God's word--what it actually teaches, and the power of grace revealed in the Bible that uplifts Jesus as our only hope!

"In this journey, Jesus joined one of the large companies that were making their way to the capital. He had not yet publicly announced His mission, and He mingled unnoticed with the throng. Upon these occasions, the coming of the Messiah, to which such prominence had been given by the ministry of John, was often the theme of conversation. The hope of national greatness was dwelt upon with kindling enthusiasm. Jesus knew that this hope was to be disappointed, for it was founded on a misinterpretation of the Scriptures. With deep earnestness He explained the prophecies, and tried to arouse the people to a closer study of God's word." {The Desire of Ages, page 154, paragraph 2}

I desire a deeper experience in God's word, and to help others come to hunger and thirst for that! Let us feed on Jesus and live by every word that proceeds from His mouth today!!

Dorine

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 10:06:34 AM »
"Because of their spiritual darkness, even the disciples of Jesus often failed of comprehending His lessons. But many of these lessons were made plain to them by subsequent events. When He walked no more with them, His words were a stay to their hearts."

And His words will be a stay to our hearts also but only as we spend time with Jesus in His word. If the disciples who walked with Jesus daily misunderstood Christ's mission what hope is there for us except we walk with Him each day through His word. Christ will keep us anchored in Him as we spend that thoughtful hour with Him.  It's a vital part of each day.

Today's reading reveals something that always amazes me. As the priests and rulers run in fear from the temple, but the poor and needy showed no fear and wanted to be with Him, to be blessed by Him. I love this scene. And He is the same Jesus today that is portrayed here. 

Beacon

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2019, 01:38:12 PM »
"As the priests and temple officials witnessed this great work, what a revelation to them were the sounds that fell on their ears! The people were relating the story of the pain they had suffered, of their disappointed hopes, of painful days and sleepless nights. When the last spark of hope seemed to be dead, Christ had healed them.

The burden was so heavy, one said; but I have found a helper. He is the Christ of God, and I will devote my life to His service. Parents said to their children, He has saved your life; lift up your voice and praise Him. The voices of children and youth, fathers and mothers, friends and spectators, blended in thanksgiving and praise. Hope and gladness filled their hearts. Peace came to their minds. They were restored soul and body, and they returned home, proclaiming everywhere the matchless love of Jesus."

"What a Friend we have in Jesus--All our sins and griefs to bare; What a privilege to carry "Everything to Him in Prayer". Oh what peace we often forfeit -- Oh what need-less pain we bear--All because we do not carry  -- "Everything to God in Prayer"

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2019, 03:35:49 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!! As we turn our lives over to Jesus unreservedly, we can marvel in His power to cleanse the depths of our sin-sick souls and give us new hearts and minds that are imbued with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing, even as our fallen flesh that we retain until the coming of Jesus is kept under, so that not even by a thought need we yield to temptation! This is the GREATEST MIRACLE that the world and the universe need to see--for it reveals God's glory and it makes us fit dwelling places for Christ to dwell in because of His shed blood for us on Calvary and His sanctifying presence at work in us by the Holy Spirit! As we experience this miracle, the miracle is continued as long as we choose Christ and allow our minds to be stayed upon Him! That is why it is well for us to spend a thoughtful hour upon the life of Christ--grasping in imagination each scene (especially the closing ones that culminate at Calvary) because beholding Christ changes us, and He gives us the remedy for the Laodicean condition (when the soul is lukewarm, lost and unconverted--even though the person may "know" a lot, it is a lack of Christ's vital presence in the heart by union and communion with Him by the Spirit and a renunciation of every sin that the Spirt of God reveals accompanied by affectionate, willing obedience to all that God's holy law commands). Beholding Christ gives us true faith working by love (gold tried in the fire), white raiment (Christ's imputed and imparted righteousness wrought in our lives) and eye salve (a continual abiding experience with the Holy Spirit so we can see our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing!). As we have this supernatural experience, we are realizing the promise of Christ to make us a temple for His indwelling as He blots out our sins from the record in the heavenly sanctuary before He comes in power and great glory!!

"In the cleansing of the temple, Jesus was announcing His mission as the Messiah, and entering upon His work. That temple, erected for the abode of the divine Presence, was designed to be an object lesson for Israel and for the world. From eternal ages it was God's purpose that every created being, from the bright and holy seraph to man, should be a temple for the indwelling of the Creator. Because of sin, humanity ceased to be a temple for God. Darkened and defiled by evil, the heart of man no longer revealed the glory of the Divine One. But by the incarnation of the Son of God, the purpose of Heaven is fulfilled. God dwells in humanity, and through saving grace the heart of man becomes again His temple. God designed that the temple at Jerusalem should be a continual witness to the high destiny open to every soul. But the Jews had not understood the significance of the building they regarded with so much pride. They did not yield themselves as holy temples for the Divine Spirit. The courts of the temple at Jerusalem, filled with the tumult of unholy traffic, represented all too truly the temple of the heart, defiled by the presence of sensual passion and unholy thoughts. In cleansing the temple from the world's buyers and sellers, Jesus announced His mission to cleanse the heart from the defilement of sin,--from the earthly desires, the selfish lusts, the evil habits, that corrupt the soul. 'The Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His temple, even the Messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, He shall come, saith the Lord of hosts. But who may abide the day of His coming? and who shall stand when He appeareth? for He is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: and He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and He shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver.' Mal. 3:1-3." {The Desire of Ages, page 161, paragraph 1}

What greater or higher purpose can we have than to allow God's Spirit to do all that He desires in our lives? There is no limit to what God can do in and through a truly converted soul. Let us experience this miracle today and let it be our ever-deepening experience (for repentance deepens at every step as we see more of Christ's loveliness and our own unlikeness to Him by nature) until the character of Christ is fully mature in our lives so that we may endure, by a living faith experience, the time of trouble, and be able to stand victorious through the grace of Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit to be alive when Jesus returns VERY SOON in power and great glory (or rest in our graves awaiting the resurrection having closed our probation ever-abiding in Jesus). Whatever God chooses to do with us is BEST, and He knows what would bring Him the most glory and honor as we are HIS both by creation and redemption. Let us allow Jesus the pleasure of fulfilling His will in and through us as we ever more deeply experience His perfect love that casts out fear!!! 

Beacon

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2019, 06:51:52 PM »
"At the crucifixion of Christ, those who had thus been healed by Jesus did not join with the rabble throng in crying,'Crucify Him, crucify Him.' Their sympathies were with Jesus; for they had felt His great sympathy and wonderful power. They knew Him to be their Saviour; for He had given them health of body and soul. They listened to the preaching of the apostles, and the entrance of God's word into their hearts gave them understanding. They became agents of God's mercy, and instruments of His salvation."
There is an old saying that goes like this..."I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day." I believe people are the same today -- In their great need for peace and real purpose in their lives they need to see the Gospel Message as lived out by the power of the Holy Spirit in the life of those who claim to be the true representatives of Jesus. People are much more willing to listen once they know how much you care.   

Are we watching and willing to share the Love of Jesus when opportunities arise? I. E.

Recently I was talking with a women I had never met before. She was a cost estimator at a dental clinic where I had just become a new client. We shook hands and I simply said..." How are you today?"  She then told me that she was very concerned about her mom because her father had just died recently. I listened as she described her mom's condition. When she stopped I empathized with her and said. " I will pray for your mom and for you to find the strength and comfort you need at this time". As I left the office she thanked me and said she felt better already.

Several days later I felt impressed to offer her a copy of " Steps to Christ." so I stopped by and offered the book to her explaining that if she would give the book to her mom or perhaps even read it to her they would both find the comfort that Jesus offers to all of us because He loves us soo much. She accepted the book with profuse gratitude. Where and how the story will end will be up to the Holy Spirit. To God be the Glory.

Dorine

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2019, 05:53:26 AM »
In this current chapter we ought to be encouraged by the fact that we have help in not only being converted, but in remaining converted. Jesus is a living "high priest" who stands in the Most Holy Place of the heavenly Sanctuary ministering to us.

Thanks for pointing this out Richard. I know from my experience and I know others have also thought... "well, what about tomorrow since I know myself and my weaknesses." These thoughts and worries can be banished if we will keep our eyes on Christ rather than turn and look at ourselves. Yes, we are weak with a fallen nature but Christ is more than willing to give us His strength and then nothing can rend us from out Father's hand!

This is an old post but it spoke to me this morning. This is such an important point to understand. I suffered many years with doubts. Not about God but about myself. I knew God is always faithful but not so with me. It kept me in a state of fear because I knew my own weaknesses. Satan loves to keep us from looking to Jesus by worrying about tomorrow. Jesus is already there so why should we fear? We can be overcomers through the power of the Holy Spirit. Take our eyes off of self and study the life of Jesus and what He has done and is doing for us in heaven right now. If we stay in the state I was in then we are not only doubting our selves we are actually doubting God's promises to keep us from falling.