Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--34--The Invitation  (Read 16181 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
The Desire of Ages--34--The Invitation
« on: January 06, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
The Invitation

Listen to  The Invitation

"Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest."
     These words of comfort were spoken to the multitude that followed Jesus. The Saviour had said that only through Himself could men receive a knowledge of God. He had spoken of His disciples as the ones to whom a knowledge of heavenly things had been given. But He left none to feel themselves shut out from His care and love. All who labor and are heavy-laden may come unto Him. 
     Scribes and rabbis, with their punctilious attention to religious forms, had a sense of want that rites of penance could never satisfy. Publicans and sinners might pretend to be content with the sensual and earthly, but in their hearts were distrust and fear. Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him. 
     Tenderly He bade the toiling people, "Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."
     In these words Christ is speaking to every human being. Whether they know it or not, all are weary and heavy-laden. All are weighed down with burdens that only Christ can remove. The heaviest burden that we bear is the burden of sin. If we were left to bear this burden, it would crush us. But the Sinless One has taken our place. "The Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all." Isaiah 53:6. He has borne the burden of our guilt. He will take the load from our weary shoulders. He will give us rest. The burden of care and sorrow also He will bear. He invites us to cast all our care upon Him; for He carries us upon His heart. 
     The Elder Brother of our race is by the eternal throne. He looks upon every soul who is turning his face toward Him as the Saviour. He knows by experience what are the weaknesses of humanity, what are our wants, and where lies the strength of our temptations; for He was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. He is watching over you, trembling child of God. Are you tempted? He will deliver. Are you weak? He will strengthen. Are you ignorant? He will enlighten. Are you wounded? He will heal. The Lord "telleth the number of the stars;" and yet "He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds." Psalm 147:4, 3. "Come unto Me," is His invitation. Whatever your anxieties and trials, spread out your case before the Lord. Your spirit will be braced for endurance. The way will be opened for you to disentangle yourself from embarrassment and difficulty. The weaker and more helpless you know yourself to be, the stronger will you become in His strength. The heavier your burdens, the more blessed the rest in casting them upon the Burden Bearer. The rest that Christ offers depends upon conditions, but these conditions are plainly specified. They are those with which all can comply. He tells us just how His rest is to be found. 
     "Take My yoke upon you," Jesus says. The yoke is an instrument of service. Cattle are yoked for labor, and the yoke is essential that they may labor effectually. By this illustration Christ teaches us that we are called to service as long as life shall last. We are to take upon us His yoke, that we may be co-workers with Him. 
     The yoke that binds to service is the law of God. The great law of love revealed in Eden, proclaimed upon Sinai, and in the new covenant written in the heart, is that which binds the human worker to the will of God. If we were left to follow our own inclinations, to go just where our will would lead us, we should fall into Satan's ranks and become possessors of his attributes. Therefore God confines us to His will, which is high, and noble, and elevating. He desires that we shall patiently and wisely take up the duties of service. The yoke of service Christ Himself has borne in humanity. He said, "I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:8. "I came down from heaven, not to do Mine own will, but the will of Him that sent Me." John 6:38. Love for God, zeal for His glory, and love for fallen humanity, brought Jesus to earth to suffer and to die. This was the controlling power of His life. This principle He bids us adopt. 
     There are many whose hearts are aching under a load of care because they seek to reach the world's standard. They have chosen its service, accepted its perplexities, adopted its customs. Thus their character is marred, and their life made a weariness. In order to gratify ambition and worldly desires, they wound the conscience, and bring upon themselves an additional burden of remorse. The continual worry is wearing out the life forces. Our Lord desires them to lay aside this yoke of bondage. He invites them to accept His yoke; He says, "My yoke is easy, and My burden is light." He bids them seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and His promise is that all things needful to them for this life shall be added. Worry is blind, and cannot discern the future; but Jesus sees the end from the beginning. In every difficulty He has His way prepared to bring relief. Our heavenly Father has a thousand ways to provide for us, of which we know nothing. Those who accept the one principle of making the service and honor of God supreme will find perplexities vanish, and a plain path before their feet. 
     "Learn of Me," says Jesus; "for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest." We are to enter the school of Christ, to learn from Him meekness and lowliness. Redemption is that process by which the soul is trained for heaven. This training means a knowledge of Christ. It means emancipation from ideas, habits, and practices that have been gained in the school of the prince of darkness. The soul must be delivered from all that is opposed to loyalty to God. 
     In the heart of Christ, where reigned perfect harmony with God, there was perfect peace. He was never elated by applause, nor dejected by censure or disappointment. Amid the greatest opposition and the most cruel treatment, He was still of good courage. But many who profess to be His followers have an anxious, troubled heart, because they are afraid to trust themselves with God. They do not make a complete surrender to Him; for they shrink from the consequences that such a surrender may involve. Unless they do make this surrender, they cannot find peace.   
     It is the love of self that brings unrest. When we are born from above, the same mind will be in us that was in Jesus, the mind that led Him to humble Himself that we might be saved. Then we shall not be seeking the highest place. We shall desire to sit at the feet of Jesus, and learn of Him. We shall understand that the value of our work does not consist in making a show and noise in the world, and in being active and zealous in our own strength. The value of our work is in proportion to the impartation of the Holy Spirit. Trust in God brings holier qualities of mind, so that in patience we may possess our souls. 
     The yoke is placed upon the oxen to aid them in drawing the load, to lighten the burden. So with the yoke of Christ. When our will is swallowed up in the will of God, and we use His gifts to bless others, we shall find life's burden light. He who walks in the way of God's commandments is walking in company with Christ, and in His love the heart is at rest. When Moses prayed, "Show me now Thy way, that I may know Thee," the Lord answered him, "My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest." And through the prophets the message was given, "Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls." Exodus 33:13, 14; Jeremiah 6:16. And He says, "O that thou hadst hearkened to My commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea." Isaiah 48:18. 
     Those who take Christ at His word, and surrender their souls to His keeping, their lives to His ordering, will find peace and quietude. Nothing of the world can make them sad when Jesus makes them glad by His presence. In perfect acquiescence there is perfect rest. The Lord says, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee." Isaiah 26:3. Our lives may seem a tangle; but as we commit ourselves to the wise Master Worker, He will bring out the pattern of life and character that will be to His own glory. And that character which expresses the glory--character--of Christ will be received into the Paradise of God. A renovated race shall walk with Him in white, for they are worthy.   
     As through Jesus we enter into rest, heaven begins here. We respond to His invitation, Come, learn of Me, and in thus coming we begin the life eternal. Heaven is a ceaseless approaching to God through Christ. The longer we are in the heaven of bliss, the more and still more of glory will be opened to us; and the more we know of God, the more intense will be our happiness. As we walk with Jesus in this life, we may be filled with His love, satisfied with His presence. All that human nature can bear, we may receive here. But what is this compared with the hereafter? There "are they before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple: and He that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them. They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes." Revelation 7:15-17. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--34--The Invitation
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 12:47:55 PM »
It is such a blessing to see the gospel in these wonderful passages.  If we would all spend a thoughtful hour a day prayerfully contemplating the life of Christ, we would be converted and remain converted.

"Take My yoke upon you," Jesus says. The yoke is an instrument of service. Cattle are yoked for labor, and the yoke is essential that they may labor effectually. By this illustration Christ teaches us that we are called to service as long as life shall last. We are to take upon us His yoke, that we may be co-workers with Him.
     The yoke that binds to service is the law of God. The great law of love revealed in Eden, proclaimed upon Sinai, and in the new covenant written in the heart, is that which binds the human worker to the will of God. If we were left to follow our own inclinations, to go just where our will would lead us, we should fall into Satan's ranks and become possessors of his attributes. Therefore God confines us to His will, which is high, and noble, and elevating. He desires that we shall patiently and wisely take up the duties of service. The yoke of service Christ Himself has borne in humanity. He said, "I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:8. "I came down from heaven, not to do Mine own will, but the will of Him that sent Me." John 6:38. Love for God, zeal for His glory, and love for fallen humanity, brought Jesus to earth to suffer and to die. This was the controlling power of His life. This principle He bids us adopt. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 08:06:10 AM »
Here is an interesting statement opened to my mind this morning. I had never been impressed in the last 30 years with the statement until today.

He had spoken of His disciples as the ones to whom a knowledge of heavenly things had been given. But He left none to feel themselves shut out from His care and love. All who labor and are heavy-laden may come unto Him.   

What is meant by this, and does it have any application today? If so, what is that application?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »
It is so very hard to share a portion of what we read here. That is why we are all reading the whole chapter together.

It is hard to stop when sharing because there is so much more that is important. But, since we have already posted the whole chapter, I will stop short of re-posting it in this post.  :)

He is watching over you, trembling child of God. Are you tempted? He will deliver. Are you weak? He will strengthen. Are you ignorant? He will enlighten. Are you wounded? He will heal. The Lord "telleth the number of the stars;" and yet "He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds." Psalm 147:4, 3. "Come unto Me," is His invitation. Whatever your anxieties and trials, spread out your case before the Lord. Your spirit will be braced for endurance. The way will be opened for you to disentangle yourself from embarrassment and difficulty. The weaker and more helpless you know yourself to be, the stronger will you become in His strength. The heavier your burdens, the more blessed the rest in casting them upon the Burden Bearer. The rest that Christ offers depends upon conditions, but these conditions are plainly specified. They are those with which all can comply. He tells us just how His rest is to be found. 
     There are many whose hearts are aching under a load of care because they seek to reach the world's standard. They have chosen its service, accepted its perplexities, adopted its customs. Thus their character is marred, and their life made a weariness. In order to gratify ambition and worldly desires, they wound the conscience, and bring upon themselves an additional burden of remorse. The continual worry is wearing out the life forces. Our Lord desires them to lay aside this yoke of bondage. He invites them to accept His yoke; He says, "My yoke is easy, and My burden is light." He bids them seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and His promise is that all things needful to them for this life shall be added. Worry is blind, and cannot discern the future; but Jesus sees the end from the beginning. In every difficulty He has His way prepared to bring relief. Our heavenly Father has a thousand ways to provide for us, of which we know nothing. Those who accept the one principle of making the service and honor of God supreme will find perplexities vanish, and a plain path before their feet. 

This is a promise that will not fail. I testify that it is true. Can you say the same? If not, then follow the counsel given and taste for yourself.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 06:56:56 AM »
This has become one of my favorite Spirit of Prophecy songs, and I really appreciate the hope expressed in these words. Instead of reading these words this morning, I sang them!

"The Elder Brother of our race is by the eternal throne. He looks upon every soul who is turning his face toward Him as the Saviour. He knows by experience what are the weaknesses of humanity, what are our wants, and where lies the strength of our temptations; for He was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. He is watching over you, trembling child of God. Are you tempted? He will deliver. Are you weak? He will strengthen. Are you ignorant? He will enlighten. Are you wounded? He will heal. The Lord "telleth the number of the stars;" and yet "He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds." Psalm 147:4, 3. "Come unto Me," is His invitation. Whatever your anxieties and trials, spread out your case before the Lord. Your spirit will be braced for endurance. The way will be opened for you to disentangle yourself from embarrassment and difficulty. The weaker and more helpless you know yourself to be, the stronger will you become in His strength. The heavier your burdens, the more blessed the rest in casting them upon the Burden Bearer. The rest that Christ offers depends upon conditions, but these conditions are plainly specified. They are those with which all can comply. He tells us just how His rest is to be found." {DA 329.1} 

May our lives reveal the glory--character--of Christ as we experience the promise of His presence today and allow Him to bring forth in our lives all the fruits of the Spirit--so that not one will be missing! This is the promise of what takes place in the new heart in conversion, which is to be continued throughout our journey heavenward!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 08:10:28 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!!

It is a sad truth, but if it were not for my great trials in life, I would not have sought out a Savior.   Now, I glory in my tribulations, for I know as I abide in Christ, they will work for God's glory and my good. That is what I believe, because the Bible tells me so.....and I know it from experience.

"We glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Romans 5:3-5.

"Long-suffering" is a fruit that comes with a full surrender of self to Christ. But, at conversion the patience is very limited for most of us. God's desire is to make us firm as a rock. Thus, we grow in our patience. He will not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear.  Through suffering we become stronger to bear more burdens. That is the Christian life. We are to pick up our cross and follow Jesus. We are to be His witnesses to a fallen world. There is power in Christ. There is no power outside of Christ.

Whatever your anxieties and trials, spread out your case before the Lord. Your spirit will be braced for endurance. The way will be opened for you to disentangle yourself from embarrassment and difficulty. God loves us and wants to lighten our load. His yoke is easy. He will lift all who come to Him above the trials and difficulties of this world. He will put joy your heart today!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 07:57:04 PM »

"Long-suffering" is a fruit that comes with a full surrender of self to Christ. But, at conversion the patience is very limited for most of us. God's desire is to make us firm as a rock. Thus, we grow in our patience. He will not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear.  Through suffering we become stronger to bear more burdens. That is the Christian life. We are to pick up our cross and follow Jesus. We are to be His witnesses to a fallen world. There is power in Christ. There is no power outside of Christ.

I appreciate these thoughts, Richard. I was reflecting upon an experience I had today during a meeting, and realized that in preparation for the trials of the day, Jesus gives us a never-failing source of comfort and strength BEFORE we go through our trial--and that is the "thoughtful hour" He bids us spend with Him. As I choose to commune with Christ morning by morning, I know that He will allow trials proportionate to where I my experience is at with Him in my growth in sanctification. This means He has promised to keep me from sinning when I trust His hand at each step. I know that the trials I am facing now are greater than in the past--but they seem so light in comparison to the trials of my past because I have chosen to remain abiding in Christ, and hence the greater the trial, the greater the joy, because it just gives Jesus a greater opportunity to manifest His perfect peace in the most adverse life circumstances through which He allows me to pass for my ultimate good! Isn't God's love amazing! I made a decision today to rejoice in the Lord always--out loud, singing praise, even amid trials! What a blessing Jesus is to us CONSTANTLY! Let us grow in this as Jesus is coming soon!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 05:54:53 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!  What a blessing to have a Savior who loves us and gave Himself for us! He longs for us to accept the Gift He offers that we might have peace that passes all understanding.

In the heart of Christ, where reigned perfect harmony with God, there was perfect peace. He was never elated by applause, nor dejected by censure or disappointment. Amid the greatest opposition and the most cruel treatment, He was still of good courage. But many who profess to be His followers have an anxious, troubled heart, because they are afraid to trust themselves with God. They do not make a complete surrender to Him; for they shrink from the consequences that such a surrender may involve. Unless they do make this surrender, they cannot find peace.   

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 07:35:03 AM »
Yes, brother Richard! We may have the same rest of Spirit through abiding in Christ! Praise the Lord!

I love this promise, as I need His strength and wisdom today in a key decision:

The Elder Brother of our race is by the eternal throne. He looks upon every soul who is turning his face toward Him as the Saviour. He knows by experience what are the weaknesses of humanity, what are our wants, and where lies the strength of our temptations; for He was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. He is watching over you, trembling child of God. Are you tempted? He will deliver. Are you weak? He will strengthen. Are you ignorant? He will enlighten. Are you wounded? He will heal. The Lord “telleth the number of the stars;” and yet “He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.” Psalm 147:4, 3. “Come unto Me,” is His invitation. Whatever your anxieties and trials, spread out your case before the Lord. Your spirit will be braced for endurance. The way will be opened for you to disentangle yourself from embarrassment and difficulty. The weaker and more helpless you know yourself to be, the stronger will you become in His strength. The heavier your burdens, the more blessed the rest in casting them upon the Burden Bearer. The rest that Christ offers depends upon conditions, but these conditions are plainly specified. They are those with which all can comply. He tells us just how His rest is to be found. – {DA 329.1}

Did we but learn to trust Christ's enlightenment by His word through the Holy Spirit, we would be continually led in safe paths. God is so faithful! What a lovely Savior we have!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 04:10:29 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean! God's promises are so  very GOOD!! What a God we serve!! Today's reading is so very instructive for us.

As I was reading this morning, I was impressed with something Pastor Sean has quoted. None ought to pass over this without understanding we are without excuse for not knowing what we must do in order to be saved. The Bible is clear, and so is what we are reading in today's lesson. From what Pastor Sean quoted we read "The rest that Christ offers depends upon conditions, but these conditions are plainly specified. They are those with which all can comply. He tells us just how His rest is to be found."

Let us be clear on this, the rest Christ offers is found in a complete surrender. This is what must be done in order to obtain eternal life, thus the conditions which are "plainly specified" for this "rest" are the same conditions for salvation. The offer of salvation has conditions and they are "plainly specified." If we will prayerfully study this chapter, then we can find out what so many have been blinded on. We may learn of the plan of salvation and what it is that we must do in order to be saved. How important is this to a Laodicean church that believes it is rich and increased with goods, but knows not that it is miserable, and wretched, and poor, and blind, and naked!

Jesus loves us and stands at the door of so many hearts pleading for entrance. Here in this chapter we are pointed to how it is that we can open that door to Christ. Today, we may receive both rest and salvation!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 06:06:12 AM »
Amen, Richard! Praise the Lord that Christ offers the very thing we so need--rest in Him by full surrender, so we may have His blessed salvation! He knows that anything less than a full surrender will prove our eternal ruin, but He presents the experience of full surrender in such attractive terms, showing us what He offers is so much better than the way of sin and selfishness, the way that is filled with fear and distrust so natural to the heart that has not made an entire surrender. I am so thankful that we can make this surrender as we behold the loveliness of Jesus, which is so clearly revealed in our reading today. Jesus loves us so much that He has a way for each of us to come to Him and find full salvation. None need err herein, if they are willing to learn of Christ:

Christ longs to impart HIS EXPERIENCE to us, and as we behold Him, the sight of Him attracts. It is not the fear of punishment or the hope of everlasting reward that draws us to Christ--we are drawn to Him by His love, and as we see how much He loves us and what it cost for Him to save us in the experience of Gethsemane, the death of Calvary, may we consider all things but loss for the joy of knowing Christ! Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 06:03:14 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!  Grace has power. It is that which transforms the character when we make a whole heart surrender to Jesus. And, when we do, what does this mean? How is the life changed?

Those who take Christ at His word, and surrender their souls to His keeping, their lives to His ordering, will find peace and quietude. Nothing of the world can make them sad when Jesus makes them glad by His presence. In perfect acquiescence there is perfect rest. The Lord says, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee." Isaiah 26:3. Our lives may seem a tangle; but as we commit ourselves to the wise Master Worker, He will bring out the pattern of life and character that will be to His own glory. And that character which expresses the glory--character--of Christ will be received into the Paradise of God. A renovated race shall walk with Him in white, for they are worthy.

Who is worthy? That is a new thought. After being unworthy because we are so vile, God calls the saved "worthy." This is something we need to come to terms with. As unworthy as we are of God's grace, it transforms the life and repentant sinners are granted eternal life. They are worthy of it because they with Christ formed a character which fit them for heaven. On the other hand, many are called to heaven, but most will be unworthy of life eternal because they did not respond to God's grace. They have no peace, no love, no joy in this life nor in the life to come. Today is the day of salvation. Jesus invites us, as unworthy as we are, come to Him just as we are, and receive everyone of the fruits of His Spirit. If we will allow Him to have possession of the heart, He will cleanse it. After He cleanses it, then we will be given power to keep the commandments of God, for it is Christ in us, the hope of glory, whose character we reflect. We develop habits of doing good! This is what Jesus seeks in you and me. He wants us to have peace that passes all understanding.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 07:24:28 AM »
Amen, Richard! Through Christ, it is possible for the most unworthy and vile to form a worthy, righteous character--which is all a work of divine grace! Our part is beholding the loveliness of Jesus and cooperating with the Holy Spirit who enables us to confess and forsake sin, so that we become partakers of the divine nature! Such an experience of living by faith upon Jesus IS MANIFEST in all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! May we have Christ's experience today:

When the souls surrendered entirely to God, a new power takes possession of the new heart, and we come to reflect and enjoy the peace of heaven--in whatever circumstances, however trying! Let us keep our eyes fixed upon Jesus with hearts and minds entirely yielded to Him moment-by-moment!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 06:10:23 AM »
This is a beautiful chapter, a profound revelation of the loveliness of Jesus, and what it means to be converted and abiding in that experience with Christ. There were a few thoughts that stood out to me this morning:

This is a simple thought, but profound--we are to serve, and that is how we find rest as we are connected to Jesus. It is in doing what His providence assigns us that we find true rest of soul, and we see what that looked like in Jesus' life:

He was never elated by applause, nor dejected by censure or disappointment.

In other words, Christ sailed like the sun above all the things that tend to disturb the current of our life experience because He was entirely surrendered to the Father's will. We realize the only source of unrest in life Christ did not cherish or live, for He was continually abiding in the will of God:

It is the love of self that brings unrest. When we are born from above, the same mind will be in us that was in Jesus, the mind that led Him to humble Himself that we might be saved. Then we shall not be seeking the highest place. We shall desire to sit at the feet of Jesus, and learn of Him. We shall understand that the value of our work does not consist in making a show and noise in the world, and in being active and zealous in our own strength. The value of our work is in proportion to the impartation of the Holy Spirit. Trust in God brings holier qualities of mind, so that in patience we may possess our souls. 

Godliness with contentment is great gain. What a privilege and joy to be able to have Christ enthroned in our hearts today as we serve in the way He leads us--for in this experience, we have true rest and peace.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 08:15:59 AM »
Amen! pastor Sean. 

It is the love of self that brings unrest.

Reminds me of our Savior's other words that it's better to give than receive. Unselfishness is God's ways. I also think this is why once a person truly receives Christ's forgiveness he or she wants others to know about it and seeks ways to tell others.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 03:30:05 AM »
I love the restful invitation of Jesus to our hearts in this chapter that we may effectually be working together with Him:

I really appreciated reading these three motive powers that actuated Christ to come redeem us. It is a beautiful thought to realize that these become our motives (which are selfless--nothing short of the work of the "divine nature") when we are entirely surrendered to God and Christ abides in the heart by faith!

Praise the Lord!

Dorine

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 06:17:05 AM »
"But many who profess to be His followers have an anxious, troubled heart, because they are afraid to trust themselves with God. They do not make a complete surrender to Him; for they shrink from the consequences that such a surrender may involve. Unless they do make this surrender, they cannot find peace."

"It is the love of self that brings unrest. When we are born from above, the same mind will be in us that was in Jesus, the mind that led Him to humble Himself that we might be saved. Then we shall not be seeking the highest place. We shall desire to sit at the feet of Jesus, and learn of Him.

What a thrill to think that I can have the mind of Jesus when I make a full surrender to Him and abide in Him daily. My thoughts will be His thoughts, my words His words and my deeds His deeds because it is not me working within but Jesus.

Pastor Sean I love the illustration of the yoke because I've seen them in action where I live. Not many anymore because big machinery has taken their place. To watch those huge muscular animals being tightly yoked and following every command of the farmer as he leads them around the field to be plowed has always given me a clearer picture of what Jesus was trying to convey to His audience. Take the yoke off and it would be disaster because one would be pulling in one direction and the other in another direction and at different strengths and speed. And isn't that exactly what we experience when we try to follow Jesus without being yoked to Him.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Dorine

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 06:19:50 AM »
I'm not sure why but I am not able to change the colours of my fonts. Just so you know why I haven't been posting my quotes in red.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 06:26:47 AM »
Good morning, Sister Dorine. Amen to your and Pastor Sean's thoughts.

And, for what purpose do we refuse the yoke? Poor helpless and evil we hurt ourselves and those we love, and more than this we hurt the One who created us and has redeemed us. If we will learn of Him who gave all for us, we will be happy to take upon ourselves His yoke. We will be satisfied with His presence. He will lift us above the trials of this world. He will wipe away the tears from our eyes. He will will us with the Holy Spirit and give us love, and joy, and peace, and long-suffering, and gentleness, and goodness, and faith, and meekness, and temperance. What more could we ask for!

Your quote was coded "black".  Trying changing colors and see what happens.  Go to Test Forum to try it.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 05:27:41 AM »

If there ever was an encouraging promise this one I'm guessing will appeal to many today. Is your life a tangle? Then look to Christ and He will help you work through it even to His glory. We do indeed serve a wonderful God!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}