Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--35--Peace Be Still  (Read 14348 times)

Dorine and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: The Desire of Ages--35--Peace Be Still
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 05:09:07 AM »
Satan's influence is constantly exerted upon men to distract the senses, control the mind for evil, and incite to violence and crime. He weakens the body, darkens the intellect, and debases the soul. Whenever men reject the Saviour's invitation, they are yielding themselves to Satan. Multitudes in every department in life, in the home, in business, and even in the church, are doing this today. It is because of this that violence and crime have overspread the earth, and moral darkness, like the pall of death, enshrouds the habitations of men. Through his specious temptations Satan leads men to worse and worse evils, till utter depravity and ruin are the result. The only safeguard against his power is found in the presence of Jesus.

If this doesn't describe today's world I'm not sure what would. It is a wonder to me that more don't desire to be in the presence of Christ. When Christ is in the boat it will not sink.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 06:04:13 AM »
Amen, Jim! If people remain unaware of the presence of Christ, or fail to discern their need, there are many who are almost ready to perish within reach of abundant help.

I was so thankful to read chapter 35 in The Desire of Ages today because it reminds me again of how Christ has healed me fully from bipolar disorder, giving me healing of mind and body from having been afflicted by Satan and oppressed with darkness when my mind was unsettled by deep grief of having lost my parents and habits of life that enfeebled and weakened me physically, mentally, and emotionally, so that my life became a weariness. I was just reading this morning in 2 Timothy chapter 1 as well, and this paragraph quoted one of my favorite "life texts" (verse 7) because it promises God's Spirit to us:

"The encounter with the demoniacs of Gergesa had a lesson for the disciples. It showed the depths of degradation to which Satan is seeking to drag the whole human race, and the mission of Christ to set men free from his power. Those wretched beings, dwelling in the place of graves, possessed by demons, in bondage to uncontrolled passions and loathsome lusts, represent what humanity would become if given up to satanic jurisdiction. Satan's influence is constantly exerted upon men to distract the senses, control the mind for evil, and incite to violence and crime. He weakens the body, darkens the intellect, and debases the soul. Whenever men reject the Saviour's invitation, they are yielding themselves to Satan. Multitudes in every department in life, in the home, in business, and even in the church, are doing this today. It is because of this that violence and crime have overspread the earth, and moral darkness, like the pall of death, enshrouds the habitations of men. Through his specious temptations Satan leads men to worse and worse evils, till utter depravity and ruin are the result. The only safeguard against his power is found in the presence of Jesus. Before men and angels Satan has been revealed as man's enemy and destroyer; Christ, as man's friend and deliverer. His Spirit will develop in man all that will ennoble the character and dignify the nature. It will build man up for the glory of God in body and soul and spirit. 'For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.' 2 Timothy 1:7. He has called us 'to the obtaining of the glory'--character--'of our Lord Jesus Christ;" has called us to be "conformed to the image of His Son.' 2 Thessalonians 2:14; Romans 8:29." {The Desire of Ages, page 341, paragraph 1}

Was it too hard for Jesus to heal "incurable" demoniacs? No--He is able! Was it too hard for Jesus to heal "incurable" lepers? No--He is the Great Physician! He is near you today--whatever your struggle with sin, with your health, or any other difficulty, come to Jesus and invite Christ to abide in your heart by faith! He is our lovely Savior and specializes in "incurable" situations--because then the glory goes to Him and others take courage that they, too, can be healed.

Jesus led me to apply the principles of a consistent life of "NEWSTART"--Nutrition, Exercise, Water, Sunshine, Temperance, Air, Rest, and Trust in Divine Power (God's power through His promises). It has been over 6.5 years since I have had bipolar disorder and God has healed me so fully that I do not need any medication and Jesus is the one to whom all praise and glory belong! While there were times in 2010 and 2011 in that journey of healing when it seemed like a life and death struggle to speak faith and claim His promises, when I began to learn that Jesus means what He says EVEN WHEN I DO NOT FEEL IT, that was a game-changer. I came to trust that He can lift me from depression as I speak words of hope, faith, and healing--not words of doubt and unbelief. He can heal us and make us His witnesses of His love and power! Praise God!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 06:18:04 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean! We daily battle against self, the world, Satan, and sin. When we behold our Savior's life, we see He did the same and had peace in the middle of the storm, what ever it was. Yes, He poured out bloody sweat, but He did not forget His Father's love. Yes, His Father separated His beams of light and love from His Son, but Jesus knew His Father's character and continued to trust in Him. So it may be with us.

We face these battles as did the disciples in that sinking boat. We ought not manifest "unbelief" in our Savior. When we share truth in an effort to help others, we will be assailed. We will be misjudged. We will be slandered, even by those we love and seek to help. Let the strong bear with the infirmities of the weak. This gives us opportunity to reveal who we are, Christians reflecting our Savior's grace to those who hurt us.

The only safeguard against his power is found in the presence of Jesus.

If this doesn't describe today's world I'm not sure what would. It is a wonder to me that more don't desire to be in the presence of Christ. When Christ is in the boat it will not sink.

Amen, Jim.  It is "unbelief" that causes men to forget their need of Jesus. When we cease to keep the mind on Christ, and let it wander away from Him, we are in trouble. The heart loses its supernatural power to resist sin and that perfect peace disappears. Oh, how we need Jesus!

As Jesus rested by faith in the Father's care, so we are to rest in the care of our Saviour. If the disciples had trusted in Him, they would have been kept in peace. Their fear in the time of danger revealed their unbelief. In their efforts to save themselves, they forgot Jesus; and it was only when, in despair of self-dependence, they turned to Him that He could give them help. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 04:28:36 AM »
I am filled with joy this morning as I read this story again. So many lessons and such comfort.

".....Every man's experience testifies to the truth of the words of Scripture, "The wicked are like the troubled sea when it cannot rest...There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked." Isa. 57:20,21. "Sin has destroyed our peace. While self is unsubdued we can find no rest. The masterful passions of the heart no human power can control. We are as helpless here as were the disciples to quiet the raging storm. But He who spoke peace to the billows of Galilee has spoken the word of peace for every soul. However fierce the tempest, those who turn to Jesus with the cry "Lord, save us," will find deliverance. His grace, that reconciles the soul to God, quiets the strife of human passion, and in His love the heart is at rest. "He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so He bringeth them unto their desired haven." Ps. 107:29, 30."

Precious Father in heaven. Fill us each with your peace this morning as we go forth to face the unknowns of today. May our hearts be pure before you that we will not be over come by temptation. May we be the nail that hangs your picture on the walls of our lives. In Jesus name, Amen.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 05:14:10 AM »
Amen!!  How much we need Jesus! And, not only can we have love, joy, and peace, but even demoniacs may enjoy the same.

The encounter with the demoniacs of Gergesa had a lesson for the disciples. It showed the depths of degradation to which Satan is seeking to drag the whole human race, and the mission of Christ to set men free from his power. Those wretched beings, dwelling in the place of graves, possessed by demons, in bondage to uncontrolled passions and loathsome lusts, represent what humanity would become if given up to satanic jurisdiction. Satan's influence is constantly exerted upon men to distract the senses, control the mind for evil, and incite to violence and crime. He weakens the body, darkens the intellect, and debases the soul. Whenever men reject the Saviour's invitation, they are yielding themselves to Satan. Multitudes in every department in life, in the home, in business, and even in the church, are doing this today. It is because of this that violence and crime have overspread the earth, and moral darkness, like the pall of death, enshrouds the habitations of men. Through his specious temptations Satan leads men to worse and worse evils, till utter depravity and ruin are the result. The only safeguard against his power is found in the presence of Jesus. Before men and angels Satan has been revealed as man's enemy and destroyer; Christ, as man's friend and deliverer. His Spirit will develop in man all that will ennoble the character and dignify the nature. It will build man up for the glory of God in body and soul and spirit. "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7. He has called us "to the obtaining of the glory"--character--"of our Lord Jesus Christ;" has called us to be "conformed to the image of His Son." 2 Thessalonians 2:14; Romans 8:29.
     And souls that have been degraded into instruments of Satan are still through the power of Christ transformed into messengers of righteousness, and sent forth by the Son of God to tell what "great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee."   

Not only did they have love, joy, and peace, but they became missionaries in their area of the world. What joy they had as they took the gospel to others. And, we too, may experience that same joy by taking to the world the gospel of grace!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 08:14:36 AM »
Amen, sister Dorine and Richard! What a joy it is to know that when God's love reigns in our hearts, we may have perfect peace in the storms of our lives--the trials that we will face. When people see that we are not fearful or anxious when things become difficult or trying, we allow God to reveal His character through us. Jesus lived by faith, and when He was awakened from having rested on the boat in the middle of the storm, He had no fear, for no fear was in His heart. I love the thought that His experience becomes ours as we behold Him and surrender our WHOLE heart to Him. May He give you peace that passes understanding whatever you are facing today.

"When Jesus was awakened to meet the storm, He was in perfect peace. There was no trace of fear in word or look, for no fear was in His heart. But He rested not in the possession of almighty power. It was not as the 'Master of earth and sea and sky" that He reposed in quiet. That power He had laid down, and He says, "I can of Mine own self do nothing.' John 5:30. He trusted in the Father's might. It was in faith--faith in God's love and care--that Jesus rested, and the power of that word which stilled the storm was the power of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 336, paragraph 1} 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 04:29:38 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean. Perfect love casteth out all fear. What shall we fear when God is for us!

As Jesus rested by faith in the Father's care, so we are to rest in the care of our Saviour. If the disciples had trusted in Him, they would have been kept in peace. Their fear in the time of danger revealed their unbelief. In their efforts to save themselves, they forgot Jesus; and it was only when, in despair of self-dependence, they turned to Him that He could give them help.
     How often the disciples' experience is ours! When the tempests of temptation gather, and the fierce lightnings flash, and the waves sweep over us, we battle with the storm alone, forgetting that there is One who can help us. We trust to our own strength till our hope is lost, and we are ready to perish. Then we remember Jesus, and if we call upon Him to save us, we shall not cry in vain. Though He sorrowfully reproves our unbelief and self-confidence, He never fails to give us the help we need. Whether on the land or on the sea, if we have the Saviour in our hearts, there is no need of fear. Living faith in the Redeemer will smooth the sea of life, and will deliver us from danger in the way that He knows to be best.   

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 05:09:47 AM »
Amen, Richard! Rest in Christ in our trials is a great evidence of an abiding Savior!!

I praise God for how He has set me free from the power of evil through the indwelling presence of Jesus! He lives in the heart that is surrendered fully to Him! He keeps us moment-by-moment from the clamors of our fallen nature (as we receive through His promises the divine nature promised in 2 Peter 1:4) so that we may have in fullness of joy the experience of a new heart and mind (see Ezekiel 36:26). He loves to restore us fully! Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus and the transformation will be constant! The evidence that He is effecting this transformation in us is that all of the fruits of His Spirit will be revealed in our lives (not one will be missing!), which are to be continually deepening our union and communion with Christ, causing our witness to be as Jesus' was on earth--one of blessing to all around! Live to bless others as Jesus did! Live abiding in Him and your life is filled with purpose, meaning, and a sense of direction that is from on high. We can be fully set free from the power of sin by the promise of "Christ in you, the hope of glory" (Colossians 1:27)! Praise God!!!!

"The encounter with the demoniacs of Gergesa had a lesson for the disciples. It showed the depths of degradation to which Satan is seeking to drag the whole human race, and the mission of Christ to set men free from his power. Those wretched beings, dwelling in the place of graves, possessed by demons, in bondage to uncontrolled passions and loathsome lusts, represent what humanity would become if given up to satanic jurisdiction. Satan's influence is constantly exerted upon men to distract the senses, control the mind for evil, and incite to violence and crime. He weakens the body, darkens the intellect, and debases the soul. Whenever men reject the Saviour's invitation, they are yielding themselves to Satan. Multitudes in every department in life, in the home, in business, and even in the church, are doing this today. It is because of this that violence and crime have overspread the earth, and moral darkness, like the pall of death, enshrouds the habitations of men. Through his specious temptations Satan leads men to worse and worse evils, till utter depravity and ruin are the result. The only safeguard against his power is found in the presence of Jesus. Before men and angels Satan has been revealed as man's enemy and destroyer; Christ, as man's friend and deliverer. His Spirit will develop in man all that will ennoble the character and dignify the nature. It will build man up for the glory of God in body and soul and spirit. 'For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.' 2 Timothy 1:7. He has called us 'to the obtaining of the glory'--character--'of our Lord Jesus Christ;' has called us to be 'conformed to the image of His Son.' 2 Thessalonians 2:14; Romans 8:29." {The Desire of Ages, page 341, paragraph 1}

Dorine

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 09:12:29 AM »
"However fierce the tempest, those who turn to Jesus with the cry, "Lord, save us," will find deliverance. His grace, that reconciles the soul to God, quiets the strife of human passion, and in His love the heart is at rest. "He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so He bringeth them unto their desired haven." Psalm 107:29, 30. "Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." "The work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever." Romans 5:1; Isaiah 32:17."

When we open our hearts and minds to what is being promised here they will not be mere words that have a nice ring to them. They will become part of us knowing from experience that God's promises are constant and true. The most important step to receiving peace is to be right with God; knowing all our sins are forgiven and forsaken each day.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 06:21:59 PM »
Amen Dorine! I love that paragraph also. When we recognize our helplessness and then ask for help He is ever ready to lend help. This I know from personal experience. We have a loving and forgiving Savior!

A hush fell upon the disciples. Even Peter did not attempt to express the awe that filled his heart. The boats that had set out to accompany Jesus had been in the same peril with that of the disciples. Terror and despair had seized their occupants; but the command of Jesus brought quiet to the scene of tumult. The fury of the storm had driven the boats into close proximity, and all on board beheld the miracle. In the calm that followed, fear was forgotten. The people whispered among themselves, "What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?"

It could be that in our own lives we have to experience terror and despair before are able to recognize our need of help but turning to Christ with our own selfish will crushed He will come to our aid and in our hearts where perfect love casts out fear!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2018, 07:12:36 AM »
I love spending hours with Jesus morning by morning, so He fills my heart with love and removes my fears!!

“When Jesus was awakened to meet the storm, He was in perfect peace. There was no trace of fear in word or look, for no fear was in His heart. But He rested not in the possession of almighty power. It was not as the ‘Master of earth and sea and sky’ that He reposed in quiet. That power He had laid down, and He says, ‘I can of Mine own self do nothing.’ John 5:30. He trusted in the Father’s might. It was in faith—faith in God’s love and care—that Jesus rested, and the power of that word which stilled the storm was the power of God.” – {The Desire of Ages, page 336, paragraph 1}
“As Jesus rested by faith in the Father’s care, so we are to rest in the care of our Saviour. If the disciples had trusted in Him, they would have been kept in peace. Their fear in the time of danger revealed their unbelief. In their efforts to save themselves, they forgot Jesus; and it was only when, in despair of self-dependence, they turned to Him that He could give them help.” – {The Desire of Ages, page 336, paragraph 2}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 05:24:25 AM »
True peace only comes from a complete surrender to Christ; apart from Christ in the soul we are dissatisfied and unhappy, restless and unreconciled to God by the passions and clamor of sin in the ascendancy. But beholding His love, we are moved to trust and surrender to Him! When He abides in the soul that is yielded to Him, there is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance--without one missing! Christ's presence gives rest amid the most trying circumstances!

"There is another spiritual lesson in this miracle of the stilling of the tempest. Every man's experience testifies to the truth of the words of Scripture, 'The wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest. . . . There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked.' Isaiah 57:20, 21. Sin has destroyed our peace. While self is unsubdued, we can find no rest. The masterful passions of the heart no human power can control. We are as helpless here as were the disciples to quiet the raging storm. But He who spoke peace to the billows of Galilee has spoken the word of peace for every soul. However fierce the tempest, those who turn to Jesus with the cry, 'Lord, save us,' will find deliverance. His grace, that reconciles the soul to God, quiets the strife of human passion, and in His love the heart is at rest. 'He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so He bringeth them unto their desired haven." Psalm 107:29, 30. 'Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.' 'The work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever.' Romans 5:1; Isaiah 32:17." {The Desire of Ages, page 336, paragraph 4}

May Christ's presence abide with you continually by a living-faith surrender to Him moment-by-moment today!

Dorine

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 06:31:14 AM »
"Absorbed in their efforts to save themselves, they had forgotten that Jesus was on board."

This short sentence jumped out at me this morning with new revelation. When the storms of life threaten our security, happiness and peace how do we react?  Do we remember that Jesus is on board and cry for Him to save us or do we immediately jump into self-preservation mode? As I start this day I want to keep Jesus foremost in all my thoughts and plans so that I will not be caught off guard when I am faced with today's challenges.

"Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 09:32:30 PM »
I love  this chapter!  These poor disciples are fearing  death when Jesus is there with them on the  same boat.  When the lightning flashes  they   see  Him and a peace that passes all understanding.....in the middle of the storm. Why do they not have this same peace?  Because they are full  of "unbelief." It  was  Jesus   who told them to   get into the boat   and  cross the sea. They  forgot  who   Jesus was.

Now, seeing their labor vain and only death before them, they remembered at whose command they had set out to cross the sea.

If Jesus tells us to do   something,  do   we  then  fear the  results? How  silly.  :(  Do  we  forget that Jesus is with us?  Too  often,  especially when trouble  comes  our way.

How often the disciples' experience is ours! When the tempests of temptation gather, and the fierce lightnings flash, and the waves sweep over us, we battle with the storm alone, forgetting that there is One who can help us. We trust to our own strength till our hope is lost, and we are ready to perish. Then we remember Jesus, and if we call upon Him to save us, we shall not cry in vain. Though He sorrowfully reproves our unbelief and self-confidence, He never fails to give us the help we need. Whether on the land or on the sea, if we have the Saviour in our hearts, there is no need of fear. Living faith in the Redeemer will smooth the sea of life, and will deliver us from danger in the way that He knows to be best. 

Beacon

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2019, 10:53:46 PM »
"When Jesus was awakened to meet the storm, He was in perfect peace. There was no trace of fear in word or look, for no fear was in His heart. But He rested not in the possession of almighty power. It was not as the "Master of earth and sea and sky" that He reposed in quiet. That power He had laid down, and He says, "I can of Mine own self do nothing." John 5:30. He trusted in the Father's might. It was in faith--faith in God's love and care--that Jesus rested, and the power of that word which stilled the storm was the power of God."

"As Jesus rested by faith in the Father's care, so we are to rest in the care of our Saviour. If the disciples had trusted in Him, they would have been kept in peace. Their fear in the time of danger revealed their unbelief. In their efforts to save themselves, they forgot Jesus; and it was only when, in despair of self-dependence, they turned to Him that He could give them help. How often the disciples' experience is ours!"
  Desire of Ages - Chapter 35

There is a story told about a young lad who was crossing the Atlantic with his father who was the Captain of a ship. About half way across from England to the United States they ran into a very, very bad storm. The whole boat would shudder after having been hit with huge waves and it looked as if all might be lost at sea. The 1st mate noticed the lad standing next to his father with a very serene look on his face...no fear at all. The 1st mate ask the boy if he was afraid.  The captains son replied.." No, my father has been through many storms, he knows what to do in times like these. I don't need to be afraid when I'm with him."

We need to remember that when our lives are surrendered to Jesus - We need not be fearful - His resources and the control of them - are at His command.  In John 14:27 we find these words... "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." If we have Jesus as our captain we need not fear for He will not allow anything to happen to us but that it is for our eternal good.  b][/b]When Jesus was awakened to meet the storm, He was in perfect peace. There was no trace of fear in word or look, for no fear was in His heart. But He rested not in the possession of almighty power. It was not as the "Master of earth and sea and sky" that He reposed in quiet. That power He had laid down, and He says, "I can of Mine own self do nothing." John 5:30. He trusted in the Father's might. It was in faith--faith in God's love and care--that Jesus rested, and the power of that word which stilled the storm was the power of God.

HAPPY ( 1ST ) SABBATH OF 2019  MAY HIS PEACE AND POWER BE IN OUR HEARTS AS WE JOURNEY THROUGH THIS YEAR TOGETHER. 

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2019, 04:23:41 AM »
Do not fear! Jesus is near! We can have Him in our hearts continually, and walk with Him through every storm with the evidence of His presence abiding in us: all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!!

"How often the disciples' experience is ours! When the tempests of temptation gather, and the fierce lightnings flash, and the waves sweep over us, we battle with the storm alone, forgetting that there is One who can help us. We trust to our own strength till our hope is lost, and we are ready to perish. Then we remember Jesus, and if we call upon Him to save us, we shall not cry in vain. Though He sorrowfully reproves our unbelief and self-confidence, He never fails to give us the help we need. Whether on the land or on the sea, if we have the Saviour in our hearts, there is no need of fear. Living faith in the Redeemer will smooth the sea of life, and will deliver us from danger in the way that He knows to be best." {The Desire of Ages, page 336, paragraph 3} 

Dorine

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2019, 06:42:45 AM »
"The two restored demoniacs were the first missionaries whom Christ sent to preach the gospel in the region of Decapolis. For a few moments only these men had been privileged to hear the teachings of Christ. Not one sermon from His lips had ever fallen upon their ears. They could not instruct the people as the disciples who had been daily with Christ were able to do. But they bore in their own persons the evidence that Jesus was the Messiah. They could tell what they knew; what they themselves had seen, and heard, and felt of the power of Christ. This is what everyone can do whose heart has been touched by the grace of God."

This is a story of a storm of another kind. Can you imagine the peace that must have come over those men who were now free from the chains that held them captive. They must have been a frightening sight to behold before they met Jesus. Such a change the people couldn't deny for they saw the contrast with their own eyes and with their own ears heard their testimony. Would we put these men in charge of a new church plant even after their encounter with Christ? The wisdom of Jesus goes beyond any plan man can put in place.

Each person that has been touched by the grace of God has a testimony to share. Why would we keep it private when there is a world that needs to hear and see what God has done for us?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2019, 11:40:02 AM »
Amen!! 

Each day we may witness to the world the power of grace to transform sinners (us) into saints. Today, not tomorrow. We may love, joy, and peace that passes all understanding if we will learn of our Savior. When things are going wrong, look at it as an opportunity to testify to the power of grace to keep us full of joy. We, like the disciples onboard a sinking boat, may have peace if we will look unto Jesus for help. He loves us and will do what ever is best for us.

There is another spiritual lesson in this miracle of the stilling of the tempest. Every man's experience testifies to the truth of the words of Scripture, "The wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest. . . . There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked." Isaiah 57:20, 21. Sin has destroyed our peace. While self is unsubdued, we can find no rest. The masterful passions of the heart no human power can control. We are as helpless here as were the disciples to quiet the raging storm. But He who spoke peace to the billows of Galilee has spoken the word of peace for every soul. However fierce the tempest, those who turn to Jesus with the cry, "Lord, save us," will find deliverance. His grace, that reconciles the soul to God, quiets the strife of human passion, and in His love the heart is at rest. "He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so He bringeth them unto their desired haven." Psalm 107:29, 30. "Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." "The work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever." Romans 5:1; Isaiah 32:17. 

If we love God supremely, we shall have no fear. "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." 1 John 4:18.

Beacon

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2019, 12:01:45 AM »
"When Jesus was awakened to meet the storm, He was in perfect peace. There was no trace of fear in word or look, for no fear was in His heart. But He rested not in the possession of almighty power. It was not as the "Master of earth and sea and sky" that He reposed in quiet. That power He had laid down, and He says, "I can of Mine own self do nothing." John 5:30. He trusted in the Father's might. It was in faith--faith in God's love and care--that Jesus rested, and the power of that word which stilled the storm was the power of God."

"As Jesus rested by faith in the Father's care, so we are to rest in the care of our Saviour. If the disciples had trusted in Him, they would have been kept in peace. Their fear in the time of danger revealed their unbelief. In their efforts to save themselves, they forgot Jesus; and it was only when, in despair of self-dependence, they turned to Him that He could give them help. How often the disciples' experience is ours![/u]"

[color=black]We say we TRUST in Jesus but how easy it is to find ourselves fearful when we are faced with sudden danger. One time, as a private pilot with only a VFR license, which means I should only being flying when conditions are such as to be able to see the ground at all times, I found myself trapped on top of a cloud layer which had formed under me very quickly. Without special training called IFR training, a pilot can become the victim of what is called spatial disorientation. It's a "feeling" that the plane is doing something that it's not doing and many a pilot has crashed because of it. I must confess my first reaction was " FEAR " . I was running low on fuel with just enough to get to my home airport. How was I to get under that cloud layer without having to flying through it trying to land safely?? I made a 360* turn...the cloud layer was everywhere. Again I felt a wave of FEAR wash over me. Was I about to die! Finally, in desperation, I called out Jesus in prayer and within a few minutes I got an answer... . I saw a hole in the cloud layer and quickly put the little plane into a corkscrew maneuver and came out safely under the cloud layer and  was able to land safely at my home airport. I learned a BIG lesson that day and after that when I would sing the song " Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus "  it had a brand new meaning. [/color] 
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2019, 05:07:21 AM »
"There is another spiritual lesson in this miracle of the stilling of the tempest. Every man's experience testifies to the truth of the words of Scripture, "The wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest. . . . There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked." Isaiah 57:20, 21. Sin has destroyed our peace. While self is unsubdued, we can find no rest. The masterful passions of the heart no human power can control. We are as helpless here as were the disciples to quiet the raging storm. But He who spoke peace to the billows of Galilee has spoken the word of peace for every soul. However fierce the tempest, those who turn to Jesus with the cry, "Lord, save us," will find deliverance. His grace, that reconciles the soul to God, quiets the strife of human passion, and in His love the heart is at rest. "He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so He bringeth them unto their desired haven." Psalm 107:29, 30. "Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." "The work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever." Romans 5:1; Isaiah 32:17."

For anyone who has tasted of the life surrendered to Jesus can testify to this. Those that refuse Christ's invitation will argue against this fact yet their lives, their talk, their fears, their murmurings and habits will reveal the truth. What is so sad is when you witness professed Christians in this state. Oh to be free in Jesus.....there is nothing that can compare. And to know that when we do take our eyes off Him He is there to save us when we cry for help. This was a power-packed chapter of mighty miracles and changed lives. And Christ is still active today in each of our lives. May we never allow doubt or fear to rob us of the peace that comes from trusting completely in our Saviour.