Author Topic: Live Eagle Cam  (Read 75299 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Live Eagle Cam
« on: December 10, 2015, 09:57:56 AM »
The person that I got this link from says that eggs are expected late December/early January. Although I'm not sure where he got this info.

http://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Live Eagle Cam
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 09:04:54 PM »
Both eagles were preparing the nest up until  dark.

Berry College is located Close to Rome in Georgia, USA.  It is an interdenominational Christian College on a 27,000 acre campus. It is interesting to note they have been quite involved in work study programs for many years.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:46:55 AM »
How wonderful to be able  to watch these magnificent birds prepare their nest. One is in the nest now.  An  eagle's nest averages five feet in diameter, but can be as large as nine feet in diameter and weigh up to 4,000 pounds. Eagle Facts

He or she has a fresh green pine branch with pine cones and is trying to take it apart to place in the nest. It is not an easy task for a bird. Notice what the inside or bed of the nest is made of, and what the outside or walls of the nest are made of. The nest appears to be in a Digger Pine. Right now, the pine branch is sitting on the left side of the nest with pine cones still attached. But, notice the  green bunches of pine needles Where are they?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:20:26 AM »
You've been more blessed on this than I have at this point as every time I check no one is home :(
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 08:49:04 AM »
Soon, we shall be seeing a lot of them since they will be on the eggs. It is interesting to see how they build the nest. It is1 not easy for them to rip apart the branches which appear to be the main material for this nest. The bed looks so soft. As I  saw some of the green sitting in the bed, and the branch placed on the  perimeter, it became very clear what the bed was made  of. When we go camping and do not have a camper or air mattress, what do we look for to make the ground a little softer underneath a sleeping bag? Well, that is the same material being used by the eagles for their bed. The  green needles do not remain green. Looking closely at the bed, we can see they are dried pine needles for the most part.

71 degrees.  Must sound pretty good for those in snow country!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 02:51:14 PM »
Finally I catch one sitting on the nest. It's dusk and night soon to follow. Do eagles nest together at night if there are no little ones?

colporteur

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 02:53:54 PM »
Finally I catch one sitting on the nest. It's dusk and night soon to follow. Do eagles nest together at night if there are no little ones?

Yes moments ago. Pretty neat, bird watching from your living room. I was blessed. Watched the cam for less than 5 minutes and there she is. Great way to open the Sabbath !
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 03:18:56 PM »
I agree! I just looked again and apparently the cameras have some kind of "night vision". It's in black and white but you can still see what is going on.

colporteur

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
I agree! I just looked again and apparently the cameras have some kind of "night vision". It's in black and white but you can still see what is going on.

Yes, infrared cameras. The eagles are not nocturnal so it is unlikely that there will be a visit to the nest tonight.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 06:15:50 PM »
The eagles are not nocturnal so it is unlikely that there will be a visit to the nest tonight.

Hey Cp, this statement confuses me a little. Granted, probably because I'm not familiar with the sleeping habits of eagles. I realize that eagles are not nocturnal but what does that have to do with them being or not being on the nest at night? I'm not an eagle but I'd much rather sit on a nest all night than stand on a branch. :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 07:55:36 PM »
I am not sure, Jim, but I think birds would rather stand to sleep.  :(    I remember sleeping on my feet. Not much fun!  But, the birds we used have slept on their feet.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 08:28:33 PM »
I am not sure, Jim, but I think birds would rather stand to sleep.

I suppose maybe I knew that already but since there was a nest I figured they'd use it. What do I know I'm not a bird but it makes sense now that I think about it since most nests go unused after the baby birds have left the nest. Well I guess birds can sleep standing up if they wish but I'll continue to use my bed.

colporteur

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 06:20:49 AM »

Jim;

I did not say that the eagle would not necessary be on the nest at night but since they are not nocturnal and therefore  inactive at night, it does not seem likely that they would fly to and from the nest at night. We will see once they start serious nesting. I'm not sure if they have the eyesight to be nocturnal. If not, it might be difficult to fly at night without hitting branches. Being near the college probably there is a street light near by. That might change the equation. Sometimes birds stand at night. Often they perch on a branch but are crouched resting in a position that has them not standing.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 07:11:15 AM »

Jim;

I did not say that the eagle would not necessary be on the nest at night but since they are not nocturnal and therefore  inactive at night, it does not seem likely that they would fly to and from the nest at night.

Cp, this makes sense and is not where my mind went when I read your post. My mind just did not draw the line along the dots you tried to give me. :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 08:53:40 AM »
To make matters even more interesting, most birds will sleep on one foot. It seems they keep the other one tucked into feathers for warmth. Then why do they tuck one up in very hot climates?    :)

Reading about eagles, it appears when the female is sitting on eggs, the male will not be in the nest, but standing guard close by.

Why was the bald eagle chosen as the American national bird?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »
In contemplating the labor in making the nest and increasing the size I thought of some object lessons. Anyone see lessons for us spiritually in the nest building?

colporteur

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 02:00:43 PM »
eagles are on the nest right now

colporteur

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 08:12:17 AM »
Both birds on the nest at this time for anyone viewing the forum and interested.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 08:39:30 AM »
How can we tell the female from the male?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 09:36:39 AM »
The eagle has landed and is having breakfast!   http://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/