Author Topic: Live Eagle Cam  (Read 75318 times)

colporteur

Re: Live Eagle Cam
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2016, 10:18:11 AM »
Just finished lunch. The little one is doing better. Got some lunch.   :)

I guess since sin, the survival of the fittest is protocol. Fortunately if the weaker one is not too weak the strong one will back off when he is full giving the little one a chance.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2016, 11:31:56 AM »
Sad to see the little one get beat up.  :(    He could hardly hold himself up and the older one would knock him over! Then to hold him down!!  Wicked!  Poor little guy.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2016, 03:44:13 PM »
I also was a little worried when I saw that happening about lunch time. He didn't get much of a break but later I saw them being fed again and he seemed a little better off.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2016, 06:03:37 PM »
Mom and Dad are watching over and caring for their eaglets. They know there is danger lurking. I think it is instinctual for humans to protect their young also, but it does not seem that all are able even at  birth, much less when they are still in the home years later. The cares of this world and a perverted character leads some to neglect to protect their young. How very sad. I think this is why I am enjoying seeing this up close look into the character of the eagle. Their faithfulness to their spouse and to their young is indeed a needed lesson for humans.

Here is a video of Ed and Ellie last year when their babies were a little older, around two months, and still in the nest. I have watched it a number of times and am amazed as Ed fiercely protects his young ones. It is a 26 min. video. Start at 9:20 where Mom and the two eaglets start complaining about their visitor.   Mom drives him away, and then Dad shows up to finish the fight.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2016, 01:04:40 PM »
Apparently there was another scary time yesterday for one of the chicks. It got stuck on one of mom's talons. Dad comes long a bit later to find the one chick out of the normal spot and decides to take over. It's kind of long but dad starts taking over about at about 16:45

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2016, 08:48:37 AM »
They are feeding right now but I'm a little worried for the small chick. I haven't even seen it stand up yet.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2016, 10:34:24 PM »
It looked like the strong one got pulled out of the bole. It was stunned for awhile. Meanwhile the little one got to eat more than usual. It was amazing to see to eagles nesting at the same time.  Dad came to the rescue and got the cold one warm. Later Mom got the outside one back into the bole where she could cover both again.  Felt sorry for the strong one, but it gave the little one an opportunity to eat more.

Jim, he has been wobbly since hatching. The strong one hogged the food and pecked on him. He at one time held him down with his wings as food was being served. Mean!  :(   Hope the strong one is ok He got what was coming to him for his selfishness in hurting the little one.

Tonight before bedding down, they both looked good and were eating well. The little one got pecked again, though. So, the strong one appears to be ok.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2016, 05:53:32 AM »
Mom is trying to feed the little one this morning but it is not moving much :( 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2016, 07:19:24 AM »
The strong one is eating five times as much. He is still pecking the little one who get tires easily. When pecked he falls down.  :(   Mom and Dad do not seem concerned about the situation, giving the strong one more attention when feeding.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2016, 08:01:41 AM »
Someone needs to sit on Jrs head for awhile. He pecks the little one and he falls down while Jr eats all the food! Dad finally tended to the little one and he got more than usual. :)

http://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2016, 08:00:42 AM »
Dad sure is making sure there is plenty of food to go around. The nest is never lacking in fish to feed the young ones.

colporteur

« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2016, 08:11:46 AM »
Too bad Junior could not be kidnapped for a half a day. Just a thought.  ;)  ;D

If little Spike survives he will be tough. They appear to be pretty active. That's as good sign.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2016, 08:16:23 AM »
Yes, they appear to be thriving, but the little one is not as active as jr. He is eating better. Like Jim noticed, there is an abundance of food. They are excellent fisherbirds!   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »
Dad is feeding lunch now. Jr is at his best. He seems to know there is no need to fight over the food, there is so much. Dad is very good at feeding. He is giving them all they want now. Dinner appears to be fish and squirrel.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2016, 08:53:16 AM »
The weather has warmed up quite a bit.  Temps are 67 today, 53 is forecast for the low tonight! What a difference from freezing rain and snow not long ago. But, a cold front is moving in with sever weather forecast for Wednesday with night time temps down to 35.   Expect it to be a little humid today for our eagles. It is good to see them out from under Mom and enjoying the sun and fresh air.  More time to eat also, which appears to be giving the little one a break from his sibling's pecking. When feeding time was short, there appeared to be a rush for food by jr, not knowing when lunch would be over and Mom or Dad would cover them up since it was cold and they were so fragile.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2016, 09:58:08 AM »
Very odd. I'm hearing human voices in the video. Not sure how good the mics are in the webcams or maybe wind is carrying them in?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2016, 10:21:09 AM »
The nest is not far from the school. We and the eagles hear voices, music, sirens, and car alarms.  :(  Since I leave the feed on in an open window, I hear what is happening even though I am in another window.  I know when the feeding takes place because the babies begin chirping.  :)  I don't sit at the computer watching the birds all day.   :)    Sadly, I do spend a lot of time on the computer. So, I have my little friends in the room with me often. I can tell the birds in my yard from the eaglets in the nest. Their little chirps get your attention.  :)  Send a link to our page here to families in your church who have children. Also, to neighbors, family and friends who have children. This is a wonderful experience to learn lessons from nature. Children and adults love to see the little eagles, and the big ones, and the nest and fish. We have recorded this as the nest was being prepared so that others who were not here from the beginning can go back and see some of it. But, now is the exciting time as both Mom and Dad and the little ones are in the nest together frequently. It will be fun to watch them grow and then the excitement of watching them develop their skills for their first flight, some which fail. :(

ejclark

« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »
I wonder what the nest smells like.

Not too long ago, our nephews and nieces found a wounded redtailed hawk with a badly broken wing. It was a young adolescent bird. They brought it home and called the conservation department to find out what to do with it. They brought it to our house to show us, also in hopes we might be willing to nurse it back to health. It smelled awful. When everything they eat is dead or has been for a few days, they end up smelling like their meals. It was actually quite disgusting how bad it smelled.

Also, wish that one camera wasn't turned at a 90 degree to the left.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2016, 03:30:47 AM »
I wonder what the nest smells like.

I don't think you really want to know.  ;D
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2016, 07:35:44 AM »
There is a lesson there for humans, I think.

Here is a cute picture that shows Jr behaving. The little one is holding head high and while not eating as much as Jr is eating regularly now.

12:30pm Georgia time

A light rain has begun to fall on Mom who has her little ones tucked in for a nap now.  Temperature is in the 60s.  Thunderstorms forecast for Tues night with freezing temps on Thurs night.