Author Topic: Winter 2017  (Read 4564 times)

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Winter 2017
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:51:17 PM »
I'm not sure how much more global warming I can take.  We've had close to 4 FEET of snow this month already, and we're running out of room to put it.  We don't have the monster snow plows that they have in the mountains out West.  This latest storm dumped more than 2', along with high winds.  I came home to a a 4' wall of snow at the end of my driveway this evening, and it was a monumental task just to make it to the house.  But, when I hear that one location near Lake Tahoe got 24' of snow in January, I guess I should be thankful we only got 2' out of this storm.  It's the biggest storm I've experienced in the 30 years I've been here.  Other storms have dumped more in parts of the State, but not in my location.  I've given up trying to shovel my paths.  I'm just going to use the snow shoes and pack it down.

Spring is only 35 days away--on the calendar.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Vicki

Re: Winter 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »
We went snowshoeing up at Lake Tahoe over Christmas holidays. Beautiful! The hardest part was climbing the 8 foot wall of icy-snow to get from the parking spot along the highway to the top of the snow. And that was before the big snowfalls hit. Make sure you build in good steps or a decent slope for your snowshoes!

Pictures are what greeted us one January morning after a few inches of fresh snowfall in the High Sierra Desert. The clear morning sky was a glitter with falling crystals. (pogonip?) I wish I could have gotten a picture of that. But I did get a picture of what fell to the ground - perfect little snowflakes everywhere. I have never seen such a spectacular snowy sight.