Author Topic: 1888  (Read 15064 times)

Cop

• Senior Moderator
Re: 1888
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 07:46:44 AM »
Jesus came into the world to save sinners, not in their sins but from their sins, and to sanctify them through the truth; and in order that he may become a perfect Saviour to us, we must enter into union with him by a personal act of faith. Christ has chosen us, we have chosen him, and by this choice we become united to him, and are to live from henceforth, not unto ourselves, but unto him who has died for us. But this union can only be preserved by constant watchfulness, lest we fall into temptation, and make a different choice; for we are free always to take another master if we so desire. Union with Christ means an unfailing preference for him in every act and thought of our lives. In every part of the work there must be harmony between the Saviour and the one to be saved. Faith will see love in every requirement of God, and will submit to the will of Heaven, knowing that “all things work together for good to them that love God.” We must have this perfect trust, if we become united with Christ, and share at last with him in his glory....

We need to be refined, cleansed from all earthliness, till we reflect the image of our Saviour, and become “partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.” Then we shall delight to do the will of God, and Christ can own us before the Father and before the holy angels as those who abide in him, and he will not be ashamed to call us brethren. But we shall not boast of our holiness. As we have clearer views of Christ’s spotless and infinite purity, we shall feel as did Daniel, when he beheld the glory of the Lord, and said, “My comeliness was turned in me into corruption.” We cannot say, “I am sinless,” till this vile body is changed and fashioned like unto His glorious body. But if we constantly seek to follow Jesus, the blessed hope is ours of standing before the throne of God without spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; complete in Christ, robed in his righteousness and perfection. {ST March 23, 1888}
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: 1888
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
Amen, my dear brother!   We may have ceased sinning, but we are still sinners by nature. How dare anyone say they are sinless. Job was not sinning, but he let loose of Jesus and he sinned. Moses was perfect in all of the house of the Lord, but he let his mind wander away from Christ, and he sinned. We are wholly dependent upon Christ to keep from sinning. We will live in these vile bodies until by God's grace we are given new glorified bodies. There is no excuse for sin because Christ has provided a remedy. But, in our dullness of mind, we seem to forget too often our need of Jesus. In and of ourselves we can do no good thing. Let us then cling to Christ that our lives may be a reflection of His character.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.