Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 7-Third Quarter 2015-Jesus: The Master of Missions  (Read 6451 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
 Lesson 7 August 8-14

Jesus: The Master of Missions

Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: 2 Tim. 1:8-9; Isa. 42:1-9; Dan. 9:24-27; Luke 2:8-14; Matt. 10:5-6; Acts 1:1-14.

Memory Text: "Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you"" (John 20:21 NIV).

According to Scripture, a core activity of the Trinity is mission. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are involved in saving humanity. Their Word began at the Fall and continues through until the end. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit will then restore this redeemed world to full unity with the divine will.

According to the Gospels, Jesus underwent the radical change into human form necessary for His mission to succeed. In Jesus Christ, the meaning of history comes into focus, the total mission activity of God becomes coherent, and the deepest needs of humans for meaningful existence are fulfilled.

In the New Testament, we are made acquainted with the purposes of the incarnation of Jesus Christ. We find here how He outlines the program for mission, and we get glimpses of how Jesus met people from other nations, people of other faiths. In the Word of God, we can see the incredible saving activity of God on behalf of fallen humanity.

Study this week’s lesson to prepare for Sabbath, August 15.

Sunday August 9

Jesus in the Old Testament

"Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began"(2 Tim. 1:8-9, NKJV).

Besides being great texts about the futility of salvation by works, these texts reveal the eternal nature of salvation; they show that the plan for our redemption had been formulated long, long ago.

So it is no wonder that all through the Old Testament Jesus Christ is revealed in one way or another. Especially powerful are the prophecies, which clearly show that Jesus is indeed the Messiah.

Read the following Old Testament texts, all applied to Jesus. What do they say about Him and His role as Messiah? Isa. 61:1; Dan. 9:24-27; Isa. 7:14; 9:6; 42:1-9.

The prophet Isaiah describes the mission of Jesus with these words: <"Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will bring justice to the nations. . . . I, the LORD, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand. I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the Gentiles, to open eyes that are blind, to free captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness" (Isa. 42:1,6-7 NIV).

Dwell on the incredible idea that Jesus, the Creator, took upon Himself our humanity and in that humanity lived and died as He did. What great hope does this offer you in a world that, in and of itself, offers no hope at all?

Monday August 10

The Desire of Ages

Jesus Christ is Lord of both the church and the world. His coming is a fulfillment of the Old Testament expectations of a saved community that would extend far beyond the Jewish people. The coming of Jesus, especially His suffering and resurrection, ushered in a new age in which the distinction between Jew and Gentile, as far as the gospel is concerned, disappears. Jerusalem would remain the center, at least for a while. However, the point of departure was no longer Herod’s temple in Jerusalem but the Jews converted to Christ; they had become the living temple. These Christian Jews would then be the true "remnant" of Israel at that time in the early church, the ones called to bring the gospel to the world.

This announcement of the worldwide, universal mission of Christ as Savior of all nations was repeated at His birth, during His childhood, and at His baptism.

What do the following texts teach about the universal mission of Jesus to the world?

Luke 2:8-14

Luke 2:25-33

Luke 3:3-6

John 1:29

No question, Jesus came as the Savior for all humanity. What does this truth mean for us in the context of mission?

"The missionary spirit needs to be revived in our churches. Every member of the church should study how to help forward the work of God, both in home missions and in foreign countries. Scarcely a thousandth part of the work is being done that ought to be done in missionary fields. God calls upon His workers to annex new territory for Him. There are rich fields of toil waiting for the faithful worker."—Ellen G. White, Testimonies for the Church, vol. 6, p. 29.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

Tuesday August 11

Mission to the Jews

""I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel"" (Matt. 15:24 NIV).

Between His first public appearance and His crucifixion, Jesus focused His ministry almost solely on the Jewish, particularly in Galilee. The Lord addressed Himself first to Israel. Before the Cross, there are very few messages of good news to the Gentiles. Apparently Jesus wanted to awaken the Jewish people to their place, purpose, and role in God’s overall mission for lost humanity. Israel was to have the opportunity to be the witnesses of God’s message to the world.

Read Matthew 10:5-6. Why would Jesus say here what He did? How do we understand these words in the context of the universal scope of what Christ came to do and in the context of missions as a whole? Contrast this text to Matt. 28:19.

When we consider the life and ministry of Jesus, we must observe a clear distinction between His thinking, ideals, principles, and planning on one side and the way He accomplished these purposes on the other. In His day-to-day life and ministry, He identified Himself with Jewish culture, just as the Old Testament predicted of the Messiah. But the impact of His incarnation was universally applicable. Through His death and resurrection, He would bear the sins of the world (John 1:29).

We detect here an important biblical principle for establishing mission. The first move is directed to creating a center in order to establish a strong and stable geographical and cultural base: Israel and the Jewish people. When that has been accomplished, mission should next develop outward from the center into ever-widening expanses.

Think about your home church. How well does it model the ideas expressed above—that is, a strong and stable base that eventually is able to reach out to others? How can you avoid the danger, which many churches face, of being self-oriented, worrying about your own needs to the neglect of witness and mission?

Wednesday August 12

Mission to the Gentiles

Although Jesus spent the major part of His time among the Jews, serving them in their cultural context, He made clear in His teaching and ministry that His mission was universal. The gospel should be preached to the nations, with Israel as the initial base. The salvation of the Gentiles is part of God’s plan. It was embodied in Jesus’ teaching.

How do the following teachings of Jesus indicate mission to non-Jewish people?

Matt. 5:13-14

Mark 14:9

Luke 14:10-24

Matt. 13:36-43

Despite the fact that Jesus ministered mainly among the Jews, there’s no question that from the very start His mission was for the whole world. Right at His baptism, John the Baptist said it clearly: "The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!"" (John 1:29, NKJV). The word world (Greek kosmos) occurs about one hundred times in the Gospels. About half of these refer to the worldwide scope of Jesus as the Redeemer.

In the parable Jesus told in Luke 14:16-24, those invited made all sorts of excuses for not coming. Read those excuses again. On one level, none appeared unreasonable, did they? What important lesson should we take from this for ourselves?
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

Thursday August 13

The Great Commission

Jesus spent the 40 days between His resurrection and ascension primarily in preparing the disciples and His church for worldwide evangelism. The best-known and most quoted resurrection account is Matthew’s. However, during this period there were other occasions during which the risen Christ could have given further details on the gospel commission. There were two appearances in Jerusalem, two in Galilee (one by the Sea of Tiberias, one on the hilltop) and the meeting reported in Acts 1:1-14.

There are five structured occasions in the Gospels and in Acts in which the Great Commission narrative is dealt with from various angles: on a mountain in Galilee (Matt. 28:16-20); at a table (Mark 16:14-16); in the upper room (John 20:19-23); on the beach (John 21:15-17); and just as He was taken up into heaven (Acts 1:6-9). What key points do all of these incidents have in common?

Under the power of the Holy Spirit and obeying the words of Jesus, the apostles quickly spread across the ancient world. Paul preached on the northern shore of the Mediterranean; Philip worked in Samaria. According to early Christian tradition, Matthew traveled to Ethiopia and Thomas to India.

Though starting out small, and with so much opposition, through the grace of the Lord these faithful followers were able to spread the gospel message to the world. Whatever their faults, weaknesses, fears, doubts, and struggles, they accepted the call and worked for the salvation of the world. That is, what they learned about Jesus, what they got from Jesus, they sought to share with others. Isn’t that what being a Christian is all about?

What have you been given in Christ? How should God’s gift to you through Christ influence your attitude toward witness and mission to others?

Friday August 14

Further Study: According to Matthew, Jesus foretold that "this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come" (Matt. 24:14 NIV). At the same time, the Scriptures make another point clear: ""But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only"" (Matt. 24:36). Note also Jesus’ words: ""It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority"" (Acts 1:7 NIV).

Thus, while the good news of the gospel has been preached and is being preached as never before, and while we believe that Christ’s coming is soon, we must not get caught up in dates and speculating about dates. "We are not to be engrossed with speculations in regard to the times and the seasons which God has not revealed. Jesus has told his disciples to "watch," but not for a definite time. His followers are to be in the position of those who are listening for the orders of their Captain; they are to watch, wait, pray, and work, as they approach the time for the coming of the Lord."—Ellen G. White, Selected Messages, book 1, p. 189.
Discussion Questions:

Despite the clear teaching on not setting dates for Christ’s return, hardly a year goes by before we hear something in the news about some group of Christians setting a date for Christ’s return. Why do you think people insist on doing this, other than as a good fund-raising technique? (After all, if Jesus is coming on June 19 of next year [or fill in any date you want], then what good is your money now?) Why is it bad for the Christian witness in the world when these dates, year after year, are shown to be false?

Think of the obstacles the early believers faced in the first few years of mission, especially considering that they were so small in number. What are some of the obstacles we face in mission today? What can we learn from the success of the early church that can help us do what we have been so clearly called to do?

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: 2 Tim. 1:8-9; Isa. 42:1-9; Dan. 9:24-27; Luke 2:8-14; Matt. 10:5-6; Acts 1:1-14.

Memory Text: "Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you." John 20:21

According to Scripture, a core activity of the godhead is mission. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are involved in saving humanity. Their Word began at the Fall and continues through until the end. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit will then restore this redeemed world to full unity with the divine will.

According to the Gospels, Jesus underwent the radical change into human form necessary for His mission to succeed. In Jesus Christ, the meaning of history comes into focus, the total mission activity of God becomes coherent, and the deepest needs of humans for meaningful existence are fulfilled.

In the New Testament, we are made acquainted with the purposes of the incarnation of Jesus Christ. We find here how He outlines the program for mission, and we get glimpses of how Jesus met people from other nations, people of other faiths. In the Word of God, we can see the incredible saving activity of God on behalf of fallen humanity.

Amen!!  In the Old Testament we see it also. The sanctuary and its services teach a lot about the ministry of Jesus Christ. Today, we know He is in the Most Holy Place preparing a people to stand without a Mediator. What a thought!! What a mission given to Christ!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Sunday August 9

Jesus in the Old Testament

"Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; Who hath saved us, and called [us] with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began."(2 Tim. 1:8-9).

Besides being great texts about the futility of salvation by works, these texts reveal the eternal nature of salvation; they show that the plan for our redemption had been formulated long, long ago.

Yes, not at the fall, but before the world began.

So it is no wonder that all through the Old Testament Jesus Christ is revealed in one way or another. Especially powerful are the prophecies, which clearly show that Jesus is indeed the Messiah.

And also powerful and important Christ is revealed in the sacrificial system.

Read the following Old Testament texts, all applied to Jesus. What do they say about Him and His role as Messiah?

Dan. 9:24-27
 9:24   Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy. 
 9:25   Know therefore and understand, [that] from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince [shall be] seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. 
 9:26   And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof [shall be] with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. 
 9:27   And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make [it] desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate. 

Isaiah
7:14  Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. 
9:6    For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. 

42:1   Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, [in whom] my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles. 
 42:2   He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street. 
 42:3   A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth. 
 42:4   He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law. 
 42:5   Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein: 
 42:6   I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles; 
 42:7   To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, [and] them that sit in darkness out of the prison house. 
 42:8   I [am] the LORD: that [is] my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. 
 42:9   Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them. 

61:1   The spirit of the Lord GOD [is] upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to [them that are] bound; 

The prophet Isaiah describes the mission of Jesus with these words: "Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, [in whom] my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles. . . . .I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles; To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, [and] them that sit in darkness out of the prison house." (Isa. 42:1,6-7).

Dwell on the incredible idea that Jesus, the Creator, took upon Himself our humanity and in that humanity lived and died as He did. What great hope does this offer you in a world that, in and of itself, offers no hope at all?

It is evidence that God loves us. It reveals the character of our God. He is self sacrificing love!  Think on this: Jesus  is our Brother. He is human for eternity. He  can no longer be in all places at all times. His humanity restricts His being to one place. Such a sacrifice!! Do we recognize this? Do we love Him because we see that He first loved us? Do we recognize the loveliness of Jesus?

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Monday August 10

The Desire of Ages

Jesus Christ is Lord of both the church and the world. His coming is a fulfillment of the Old Testament expectations of a saved community that would extend far beyond the Jewish people. The coming of Jesus, especially His suffering and resurrection, ushered in a new age in which the distinction between Jew and Gentile, as far as the gospel is concerned, disappears. Jerusalem would remain the center, at least for a while. However, the point of departure was no longer Herod’s temple in Jerusalem but the Jews converted to Christ; they had become the living temple. These Christian Jews would then be the true "remnant" of Israel at that time in the early church, the ones called to bring the gospel to the world.

This announcement of the worldwide, universal mission of Christ as Savior of all nations was repeated at His birth, during His childhood, and at His baptism.

What do the following texts teach about the universal mission of Jesus to the world?

Luke 2:8-14
 2:8   And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. 
 2:9   And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. 
 2:10   And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 
 2:11   For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. 
 2:12   And this [shall be] a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. 
 2:13   And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, 
 2:14   Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. 

Luke 2:25-33
 2:25   And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name [was] Simeon; and the same man [was] just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him. 
 2:26   And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ. 
 2:27   And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of the law, 
 2:28   Then took he him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said, 
 2:29   Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word: 
 2:30   For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, 
 2:31   Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people; 
 2:32   A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel. 
 2:33   And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him. 

Luke 3:3-6
 3:3   And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins; 
 3:4   As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. 
 3:5   Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways [shall be] made smooth; 
 3:6   And all flesh shall see the salvation of God. 

John 1:29
 1:29   The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. 

Why would any doubt Jesus came to save the gentiles as well as the Jews, or today every human? Why did the Jews think the Messiah was just for them? Who led Israel to believe this? 

When we say "save" what does this mean? When John said "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world," is it literal? Does Jesus want to take our sin away from us, or does He just forgive our sins and leave us with sin polluted hearts? Support your answer from Scripture.

No question, Jesus came as the Savior for all humanity. What does this truth mean for us in the context of mission?

"The missionary spirit needs to be revived in our churches. Every member of the church should study how to help forward the work of God, both in home missions and in foreign countries. Scarcely a thousandth part of the work is being done that ought to be done in missionary fields. God calls upon His workers to annex new territory for Him. There are rich fields of toil waiting for the faithful worker."—Ellen G. White, Testimonies for the Church, vol. 6, p. 29.

Why would the church be negligent in the missionary spirit? Do not all who are truly converted want to tell others about Jesus? Whom does the true convert speak of? Is the missionary spirit something we learn or something we inherit when we are born again of His Spirit? Is Christianity a culture for you or an experience with Christ? When did the missionary experience expand rapidly in the new church after Christ ascended?  What caused this rapid increase in missionary work, was it missionary seminars? What are we told will end the Laodicean condition in the church? Support your answer from Scripture.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Tuesday August 11

Mission to the Jews

"I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel." Matt. 15:24.

Between His first public appearance and His crucifixion, Jesus focused His ministry almost solely on the Jewish, particularly in Galilee. The Lord addressed Himself first to Israel. Before the Cross, there are very few messages of good news to the Gentiles. Apparently Jesus wanted to awaken the Jewish people to their place, purpose, and role in God’s overall mission for lost humanity. Israel was to have the opportunity to be the witnesses of God’s message to the world.

Read Matthew 10:5-6.

10:5   These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into [any] city of the Samaritans enter ye not: 
 10:6   But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 

Why would Jesus say here what He did? How do we understand these words in the context of the universal scope of what Christ came to do and in the context of missions as a whole? Contrast this text to Matt. 28:19. "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:"

When we consider the life and ministry of Jesus, we must observe a clear distinction between His thinking, ideals, principles, and planning on one side and the way He accomplished these purposes on the other. In His day-to-day life and ministry, He identified Himself with Jewish culture, just as the Old Testament predicted of the Messiah. But the impact of His incarnation was universally applicable. Through His death and resurrection, He would bear the sins of the world (John 1:29).

We detect here an important biblical principle for establishing mission. The first move is directed to creating a center in order to establish a strong and stable geographical and cultural base: Israel and the Jewish people. When that has been accomplished, mission should next develop outward from the center into ever-widening expanses.

Jesus was not dependent upon a "cultural" base. He established a "religious" base. There is a marked difference.  And, he did reach out to Gentiles. He made a point of doing so by going into their lands. The "woman at the well" was much better at evangelism than all of his disciples put together. It had nothing to do with Jewish culture, it had everything to do with Bible truth and a changed heart, conversion. Jesus chose Jews for His disciples because, as He told the Samaritan women, "Salvation is of the  Jews."  Not because of their culture which was often very sick, but because they had been entrusted with the sacred oracles of God. Their rotten culture would murder the Son of God. How is it today? Does Seventh-day Adventist culture work for or against evangelism? Ask a heathen what they think of Seventh-day  Adventists. Or ask someone from another denomination what they think of Seventh-day Adventists? Do you know that the divorce rate in the church is the same as it is in the world? Do you know that most of our youth leave the church, and many who are baptized leave the church? Did you know there is an "Adventist" culture? It begins in the home, but our schools perpetuate and add significantly to the "culture". There are many "Adventists" that do what they do because it is what is done in the church. For instance, many are vegetarians, but it has little to do with health  reform. When presented with the truth that milk is infected  with cancer virus, they do not care. But, they are  vegetarians that eat eggs and dairy. Most of our youth have been taught Shakespeare. It is "Adventist" culture. Today, there are conferences that are in rebellion against Scripture and the  General Conference. Their "culture" has come into God's church. Southern California is immoral. It has come into our churches. Of all the conferences, except maybe the Netherlands, the South-eastern California Conference has been inculcated with the culture of their society. As with the leadership of the North American Division, they have placed women as rulers over men. They value their culture more than Bible truth which has clearly made man the head  of woman.  "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." 1 Cor. 11:3.In the world, culture is extolled far above true religion.

Think about your home church. How well does it model the ideas expressed above—that is, a strong and stable base that eventually is able to reach out to others? How can you avoid the danger, which many churches face, of being self-oriented, worrying about your own needs to the neglect of witness and mission?

When one is truly  converted, he does not need a cultural base  to do  evangelism. Let's look at this situation for a moment. Jesus chose disciples so that they could "teach" others. He chose Jews because they had a knowledge of the Scripture. Even though they had perverted the sanctuary message, they still had a knowledge of  it.  They also understood that what they ate was important as witnessed by Daniel and his three friends. It was not culture, but Bible truth that they followed. So, the Jews benefited from having been given much truth.

So  it is today. As perverted as the  gospel message has become in the church, as back-slidden as the church is, the Seventh-day Adventist  Church has been entrusted with the Truth, and there are those in the church who walk in the light we have been given including health  reform. There are great advantages to being in God's church. Another great blessing is that God sent a prophet into His church. The inspiration given to the world is entrusted to the church. Another responsibility rests upon those who speak the English language. That truth was given in the English language which means nothing is lost in translation. Some don't understand the point being made. It  is this. Satan has deceived the world  and  many in the church. He has made the character of God to appear what it is not. The Truth about who our God is is everything. When we study our Bibles, it ought to be to know God and His ways. Therefore, this whole lifting up of culture is working contrary to what God is doing. He wants us to rise above our culture and become recreated in His image.  If culture is in harmony with God's culture, great! But, most cultures are working against God.

The lesson is talking about a base to work from. This is good. God has a denominated people, an organized church. There is efficiency in this organization. We are organized for world-wide evangelism. Schools, churches, sanitariums, publishing houses all help to do a work that individuals cannot do. But, let us not be discouraged when these institutions do not do that which was entrusted to them. Some will be reformed, some will be lost to the  church, others will rise up to take their place. God is giving us ways to reach into living rooms of many around the world without radio, television, and printing presses. But, without consecrated churches, where will the converts go?  There must be revival and reformation in the local churches so that there is a fellowship for believers. Then working together these truly converted Christians will change the world, but not all of it.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online

Wednesday August 12

Mission to the Gentiles

Although Jesus spent the major part of His time among the Jews, serving them in their cultural context, He made clear in His teaching and ministry that His mission was universal. The gospel should be preached to the nations, with Israel as the initial base. The salvation of the Gentiles is part of God’s plan. It was embodied in Jesus’ teaching.

How do the following teachings of Jesus indicate mission to non-Jewish people?

Matt. 5:13-14

Mark 14:9

Luke 14:10-24

Matt. 13:36-43

Reading of the life of Christ,  it is undeniable that Jesus came to save the lost, not just Jews.

Despite the fact that Jesus ministered mainly among the Jews, there’s no question that from the very start His mission was for the whole world. Right at His baptism, John the Baptist said it clearly: "The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God who taketh away the sin of the world!"" (John 1:29). The word world (Greek kosmos) occurs about one hundred times in the Gospels. About half of these refer to the worldwide scope of Jesus as the Redeemer.

In the parable Jesus told in Luke 14:16-24, those invited made all sorts of excuses for not coming.

14:16   Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many: 
 14:17   And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready. 
 14:18   And they all with one [consent] began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused. 
 14:19   And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused. 
 14:20   And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come. 
 14:21   So that servant came, and showed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind. 
 14:22   And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. 
 14:23   And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel [them] to come in, that my house may be filled. 
 14:24   For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper. 

Read those excuses again. On one level, none appeared unreasonable, did they? What important lesson should we take from this for ourselves?

Put in context we do not have to guess. 

14:25   And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them, 
 14:26   If any [man] come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. 
 14:27   And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. 
 14:28   For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have [sufficient] to finish [it]? 
 14:29   Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish [it], all that behold [it] begin to mock him, 
 14:30   Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. 
 14:31   Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? 
 14:32   Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace. 
 14:33   So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple. 
 14:34   Salt [is] good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned? 
 14:35   It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; [but] men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear. 

In other words, we must be born again  of His Spirit, self must die. This is a hard theology to learn since so many have taken to heart a false gospel where one may remain alive  and possess eternal life. Sin reveals a separation between God and man, yet so many deny it.

Will not those who profess to be Christians walk in the light of the Sun of Righteousness showing by their life and character that they realize the value of the atoning sacrifice of Christ our Saviour? The truth is not to be rendered lusterless by a manifestation of our own unsanctified, selfish spirit. The truth must shine forth in the life; then Christ is glorified. Emptied of self we must be, else we cannot show that Christ is formed within, the hope of glory. The Lord would have self hidden, for when it appears, souls are misled. The preciousness and importance of truth must appear, and will appear, when self is hid with Christ in God; then Jesus will be revealed in our lives. Our characters will be molded after the divine similitude. Then the Holy Spirit will control the human agent. Men will possess the attributes of Christ. 
     The minds of many are clouded with unbelief because those who unite with the church as the chosen of God do not reveal the virtues that are the fruits of the Spirit. Joining the church is not a sure evidence that a man has joined himself to Christ. The new birth is a rare experience in this age of the world. This is the reason why there are so many perplexities in the churches. Many, so many, who assume the name of Christ are unsanctified and unholy. They have been baptized, but they were buried alive. Self did not die, and therefore they did not rise to newness of life in Christ.
     Thousands who claim to be religious are not Christians. Paul was very strict in carrying out his religion, but he was not a Christian until Christ revealed Himself to him and talked with him, showing him that he was persecuting his Master in the person of His saints. Then Paul was converted. He became one of the sect he had despised and hated; and for his love of Christ he received the same cruel treatment that he had once cooperated with others in giving.   
     The churches have an abundance of the religion and zeal that Paul had. Many persecute those who differ from them in religious matters. But no true Christian will persecute one who conscientiously differs from him in faith. Those who try to force the consciences of their fellowmen do it because Christ is not abiding in their hearts. They do not realize that they have the attributes of Satan, but he delights to make them his instruments to bear witness against God's chosen ones. They strive to make them observe rites that have no foundation in the Word of God. When these persecutors have the Spirit of Christ, they will hear and receive the words of Christ "Touch not Mine anointed, and do My prophets no harm" (1 Chronicles 16:22). Christ and Him crucified will absorb the whole soul.       [Colossians 3:12-17, 23-25, quoted.]
     What does God require? Perfection, nothing less than perfection. But if we would be perfect, we must put no confidence in self. Daily we must know and understand that self is not to be trusted. We need to grasp God's promises with firm faith. We need to ask for the Holy Spirit with a full realization of our own helplessness. Then when the Holy Spirit works we shall not give self the glory. The Holy Spirit will graciously take the heart into His keeping, bringing to it all the bright beams of the Sun of Righteousness. We shall be kept by the power of God through faith.  12MR 52.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Thursday August 13

The Great Commission

Jesus spent the 40 days between His resurrection and ascension primarily in preparing the disciples and His church for worldwide evangelism. The best-known and most quoted resurrection account is Matthew’s. However, during this period there were other occasions during which the risen Christ could have given further details on the gospel commission. There were two appearances in Jerusalem, two in Galilee (one by the Sea of Tiberias, one on the hilltop) and the meeting reported in Acts 1:1-14.

There are five structured occasions in the Gospels and in Acts in which the Great Commission narrative is dealt with from various angles: on a mountain in Galilee (Matt. 28:16-20); at a table (Mark 16:14-16); in the upper room (John 20:19-23); on the beach (John 21:15-17); and just as He was taken up into heaven (Acts 1:6-9). What key points do all of these incidents have in common?

Under the power of the Holy Spirit and obeying the words of Jesus, the apostles quickly spread across the ancient world. Paul preached on the northern shore of the Mediterranean; Philip worked in Samaria. According to early Christian tradition, Matthew traveled to Ethiopia and Thomas to India.

Though starting out small, and with so much opposition, through the grace of the Lord these faithful followers were able to spread the gospel message to the world. Whatever their faults, weaknesses, fears, doubts, and struggles, they accepted the call and worked for the salvation of the world. That is, what they learned about Jesus, what they got from Jesus, they sought to share with others. Isn’t that what being a Christian is all about?

What have you been given in Christ? How should God’s gift to you through Christ influence your attitude toward witness and mission to others?

Let's look at the "great commission" given to us today. Where will we find it?  Do you know it? Can  you repeat it from memory? Are you doing it? If so, how? Do you understand what the command means?

"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of His judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters." Rev. 14:6,7. 

Yes, there is more, but it is of little importance if we do not first understand, preach, and live the  first angel's message. Notice the command is to take the "everlasting gospel" to the whole world. We are to add to this message that time has run out and the professors of God are being judged. We are to tell the world to give glory to God. What does this mean, to give glory  to God?  To most it will not be believed when they are told what it means. They have been taught that we cannot live a life as Christ did. But, to give glory to God is to represent Him in our character.

All who consecrate soul, body, and spirit to God will be constantly receiving a new endowment of physical and mental power. The inexhaustible supplies of heaven are at their command. Christ gives them the breath of His own spirit, the life of His own life. The Holy Spirit puts forth its highest energies to work in heart and mind. The grace of God enlarges and multiplies their faculties, and every perfection of the divine nature comes to their assistance in the work of saving souls. Through co-operation with Christ they are complete in Him, and in their human weakness they are enabled to do the deeds of Omnipotence. 
     The Saviour longs to manifest His grace and stamp His character on the whole world. It is His purchased possession, and He desires to make men free, and pure, and holy. Though Satan works to hinder this purpose, yet through the blood shed for the world there are triumphs to be achieved that will bring glory to God and the Lamb. Christ will not be satisfied till the victory is complete, and "He shall see of the travail of His soul, and shall be satisfied." Isaiah 53:11. All the nations of the earth shall hear the gospel of His grace. Not all will receive His grace; but "a seed shall serve Him. DA 827,28.

We are to be His witnesses as we walk upon this earth. This is His reward for all He suffered.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Friday August 14

Further Study: According to Matthew, Jesus foretold that "this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." Matt. 24:14. At the same time, the Scriptures make another point clear: "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only" (Matt. 24:36). Note also Jesus’ words: "It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power." Acts 1:7.

Thus, while the good news of the gospel has been preached and is being preached as never before, and while we believe that Christ’s coming is soon, we must not get caught up in dates and speculating about dates. "We are not to be engrossed with speculations in regard to the times and the seasons which God has not revealed. Jesus has told his disciples to "watch," but not for a definite time. His followers are to be in the position of those who are listening for the orders of their Captain; they are to watch, wait, pray, and work, as they approach the time for the coming of the Lord."—Ellen G. White, Selected Messages, book 1, p. 189.

"...while the good news of the gospel has been preached and is being preached as never before." And when did this begin? In 1888?  Somewhat, but it was rejected by the church. So when did things change? And, when they changed, the church must have seen a revival and reformation?  I don't think so.  The church remains in a Laodicean condition. This is a lost condition. Not all are unconverted, but the church as a whole is. Is that not what Jesus tells us in Revelation chapter three? Yes, it is. Blindness has come upon modern Israel. The gospel is not understood, and is not being widely preached by the church.  If it were, then would not Jesus have come long ago? Yes, He would have. We have not taken the gospel to the  whole world, we cannot even preach it in our own churches most often.

Discussion Questions:

Despite the clear teaching on not setting dates for Christ’s return, hardly a year goes by before we hear something in the news about some group of Christians setting a date for Christ’s return. Why do you think people insist on doing this, other than as a good fund-raising technique? (After all, if Jesus is coming on June 19 of next year [or fill in any date you want], then what good is your money now?) Why is it bad for the Christian witness in the world when these dates, year after year, are shown to be false?

Think of the obstacles the early believers faced in the first few years of mission, especially considering that they were so small in number. What are some of the obstacles we face in mission today? What can we learn from the success of the early church that can help us do what we have been so clearly called to do?

One thing we ought to learn from the early church is the high cost of sin.  One of the greatest pillars of the early church was Paul. How did he  die? What led to his death? Could it be that sin caused it? Let's work our way back from that sad day in Rome when Paul was executed for his faith. Paul got to leave this world, the next thing he will know is that he is standing face to face with Jesus!   Sin was turned to good as Paul was able to witness to many in Rome.

How did Paul end up in prison in Rome? What was his crime?  "Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.  And when the seven days were almost ended, the Jews which were of Asia, when they saw him in the temple, stirred up all the people, and laid hands on him." Acts 21:26,27.

This is why he was arrested. He was accused of teaching against the law of Moses, the ceremonial laws, and for taking a Gentile into the temple. What was Paul doing, going through that which he had taught against, the purification rites? It was not his idea, it came from his friends who were afraid of the Jews since Paul had come into town. It was cowardice that cost Paul his life and the church one of its greatest pillars. They thought that if Paul went through the rites it would show he was not teaching against such things. "Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law: And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise [their] children, neither to walk after the customs. What is it therefore? the multitude must needs come together: for they will hear that thou art come.    Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them; Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave [their] heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but [that] thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law." Acts 21:20-24.

The church was successful because they were a converted church that walked in the light given them. Yes, there was still sins in the church, but they were repented of and many learned from their sins, that they were wholly dependent upon Jesus in order to be able to resist sin.

Have we come to this understanding, that we need Jesus in order to resist sin? There is nothing  good in man apart from Christ. We do no good thing until  we are born again of His Spirit, as were the  early disciples.  Jesus said it like this: "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." John 3:6,7. In order to take the great commission to the world, we must first die to self. We must allow Christ to take possession of the heart, then we can give honor and glory to Him who gave all for us.

I want  to close this week's lesson with a promise for God's church today. It reveals what must happen before the heathen will know there is a God in heaven. "And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes." Ezekiel  36:23.