Author Topic: Fall Garden Time  (Read 10004 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Fall Garden Time
« on: July 20, 2015, 12:25:35 PM »
Anyone started seeds for their fall garden?  I have just started broccoli, collards, and Brussels sprouts. Looking for my kale seeds. Have the potting soil ready for them too.    I am going to be eating kale all winter, God willing....and  I think He is!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

Re: Fall Garden Time
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 03:19:37 PM »
My gardening plans have been turned upside down. In the last couple of weeks we have made some big decisions. Oldest daughter and husband have offered to put in an in-laws suite and plan to have us moved in before the snow flies this winter. Our physical limitations are showing big time this year. Half of my garden is in tall weeds. What I have planted is healthy and producing the best it ever has. I put all my energies into the tomato plant sales my other daughter and I did in the spring. We sold over $300.00 worth but it took the good out of me so that I was not able to finish my garden.

So my fall garden plans are on hold. My daughter (where we will be going) loves gardening also so I will be able to "help" her instead of me having the responsibility of the whole thing.

How did your winter garden do last year Richard? Kale should do well where you are. How are you making out for water? It's hard to believe that it's time to start thinking about winter gardens. We are hardly out of the horrendous winter just past.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 11:40:46 PM »
It is good to hear that you will have help, dear sister!!   Yes, time catches up with us.

Last winter I did not get started early enough. But, we had a mild winter so my kale did well.  This year I am starting seeds early.  I will stagger my seed starts to see how it works out. I want my kale full grown  before the days get short. I am sure I need to be careful to not start too early, but staggering the  starts ought to take care of that. We are almost into August. So, I think for kale it will be good. If I bought plants, it would be too early, but I am starting seeds.  Throw a few out in the woods, Dorine.  Give them a little water and see what happens. They are pretty hardy.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mark W

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 06:16:22 AM »
I have Kale Brussels Sprouts, cabbage, and Radicchio up and doing great.lettuce nappa cabbage and the root crops still need to see dirt, but am anticipating a harvest. It might be that I will have a winter garden to oversee. If it is God's will I will be picking veggies all winter.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 10:00:14 AM »
That is great Mark!   I think your summer is a little more suitable for growing greens than ours. I think my broccoli would bolt if I had it up and growing now. Not sure about the kale, I think I have enough time to get it to full size before the days are too short and the temps too cold. August is hot and September pretty warm. I have never gotten any Brussels Sprouts. I have them ready to germinate now. Looking forward to seeing some in my garden!!  :)

Tomatoes are starting to produce. I got a couple of yellow (KBX I think) tomatoes. First ones. Hybrids are outproducing the heirlooms. But, soon will have enough to eat my favorites!!   Watermelons looking good. 

We are all praying for rain this winter! God is in control Satan can only do what God allows!

Mark W

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 05:25:21 PM »
Richard, maybe I should clarify by saying my plants are up and looking good, but they are only a few inches tall right now. Summer heat is  a killer around here and the plant will wait at least three weeks till planting time. They are getting only 2 hours of direct sunlight a day right now. And yes I forgot, I have no broccoli growing as of yet either.  Hoping for a bountiful harvest especially the 100 Brussels  sprouts.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 09:41:52 PM »
That is a lot of Brussels you have going!!   I forgot you start your winter garden in trays. I followed your example and am not starting anything in the  ground....yet.   :)  Have a blessed Sabbath, dear brother.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 08:44:17 AM »
Have you planted your greens?  Winter will provide food for us if we will get the plants up to maturity before the days get short and cold. We all ought to have some kale planted somewhere, even if it is the only thing planted and is sitting on a patio.  :)   Now is the time to learn how to grow our own food. Soon it will be needed.

I ran out of kale and collards this summer. The heat and bugs got to them. But, I am looking forward to my winter crop!!! If you don't like greens, try cutting the kale very fine and putting it in a salad with tomatoes, avocados, cucumbers, and sunflower seeds. When cut up very fine, it has a very mild flavor. Kale is number one on my health foods list. Next are fresh fruits.  Have you planted a fruit tree?   It is not too late. Get it in the ground and by spring it will be ready to grow more than if you plant it in the spring. We are running out of time to plant trees. Jesus is coming very soon.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 04:53:18 PM »
There you go again, Richard, speaking to the folks who live in the "tropics."  ;D  Those of us up north have no recourse other than to freeze and can as much as possible before the ground freezes solid.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 12:43:32 AM »
Sorry Wally. I keep forgetting that people live up there in "Canada" Country.    I recall Dorine could not get into her greenhouse last spring.   It is nice that you are not in zone 1!   :)

You will have to educate us on deepfreeze growing.  I keep my tropical plants from freezing by covering the ground with mulch.  That won't protect the roots of your plants?  Some I think use covers to protect above ground greens when hard freezes are forecast. I guess what you are saying is that in your area of the world, it is not when a hard freeze comes, but when the hard freezes end....in early summer.  :) 

Here is some info on deep freeze gardening.

Well, I am doing my part to warm things up.  If you know of any additional ways I can increase carbon dioxide production, let me know.  From all I hear, we are going to need to increase food production soon. Warmer weather is needed.

I stayed up to watch the falling stars.  Goodnight.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 02:34:06 AM »
Occasionally, if the snow comes early enough (before the ground freezes--and it can freeze several feet deep in a severe winter), some crops, like Kale and Chard can survive the winter, although the chard bolts quickly since it is a biennial.  I'm not sure about Kale.  Parsnips actually like to spend the winter underground, and then get dug as soon as the ground thaws in Spring (usually April).  The are much sweeter for the experience.  I'm not sure how they do in areas where the ground does not freeze.  Some things can be mulched to give extra protection.  I know that garlic is planted here in the fall, just like tulips and daffodils, and being frozen doesn't seem to hurt it.

A greenhouse would be an ideal way of extending the season, but, unless one has an abundance of wood and lots of time to cut and split it, it is very expensive to heat.  I don't have the time or the money, so I don't have a greenhouse.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Dorine

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 04:47:07 AM »
About 30 minutes from us is a lady that gardens all year around without a greenhouse. She has written two books one of which I have. I'm posting her blog page in case any one would be interested in purchasing her books. The one I have is called "The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener". It is excellent. I keep saying "If she can do it so can I" but of course she is much younger with much more energy and has a husband that shares her energy and ability to help her. She relies on cold frames. The book has beautiful pictures and very informative. You may even have them in your local book store because she has become well known in North America. If you do decide to purchase the book you will not be disappointed. She said that our growing zone is the same as Chicago.

http://www.yearroundveggiegardener.blogspot.ca/

I don't know how she made out this past winter. She had 12 feet of snow in her front yard.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 10:20:23 AM »
Thanks for the information, Wally and Dorine.  I know you folks get hit hard in the winter.  Here is the link I did not post in my last message.  Winter Greens

My studies have concluded that Kale is the winter crop we need to learn to grow in the winter.

Dorine

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 12:07:33 PM »
Another green I'd like to try is called Giant Winter Spinach. Has anyone heard of this green or has anyone grown it? I'd like to know more about it.

colporteur

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 02:24:24 PM »

Daughter and I canned tomatoes yesterday. I love canning my favorite food. We picked 12 gallon of pinto beans today and are watering the garden. We have gotten good rains but with it being hot and sunny it dries up fast even with heavy clay. Will pick cherry tomatoes , dill, and cukes shortly for a Sabbath salad tomorrow. Watermelons will be ripe in about a week. Carrots and beets are huge and we have a steady supply of cukes for salads. I like to pick them when they are small and crunchy about 1 inch across. Have dug some potatoes. They look to be doing well in spite of all the grasshoppers again this year. Took some green beans up and sold them to the health food store owner to sell to the public.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 07:54:42 AM »
12 gallons of pinto beans!!  Are they easy to grow? If you pick them, does the soil still benefit from the nitrogen?

Anyone planting garlic? If so what kind and when?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 06:05:31 AM »
It's that time of the year again! Need to get the greens mature before the days are too short. Collards and kale will go through the winter in most areas without much care.