Author Topic: Statement of Confidence in the Writings of Ellen White  (Read 10890 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Statement of Confidence in the Writings of Ellen White
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:04:06 AM »
It was just stated that the modification of FB 8 yesterday when the church removed "truth", that now we must follow that in making a statement on the writings of Ellen White.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Statement of Confidence in the Writings of Ellen White
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:08:34 AM »
The statement of Confidence in the Writings of Ellen White was just passed by a wide majority.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Plain Adventist

• In Search of Primitive Godliness
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 10:30:17 AM »
I'll look forward to seeing that when it becomes available.
Amy Pavlovik ~~ “The strength and spirituality of the people of God are manifest by the distinctness of the line of demarcation which separates them from the world.” SW 17

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 12:45:41 PM »
Here you go Amy:

Revised 01-28-15tkb
STATEMENT OF CONFIDENCE IN THE WRITINGS OF ELLEN G WHITE

As delegates to the 2015 General Conference Session in San Antonio, Texas, we express our deep gratitude to God for the continuing presence of the various spiritual gifts among His people (1 Cor 12:4-11; Eph 4:11-14), and particularly for the prophetic guidance we have received through the life and ministry of Ellen G White (1827-1915). 

On the centennial of her death, we rejoice that her writings have been made available around the globe in many languages and in a variety of printed and electronic formats. We reaffirm our conviction that her writings are divinely inspired, truly Christ-centered, and Bible-based. Rather than replacing the Bible, they uplift the normative character of Scripture and correct inaccurate interpretations of it derived from tradition, human reason, personal experience, and modern culture.

We commit ourselves to study the writings of Ellen G White prayerfully and with hearts willing to follow the counsels and instructions we find there. Whether individually, in the family, in small groups, in the classroom, or in the church, a combined study of the Bible and her writings provide a transforming and faith-uplifting experience. We encourage the continued development of both worldwide and local strategies to foster the circulation of her writings inside and outside the church. The study of these writings is a powerful means to strengthen and prepare His people for the glorious appearing of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

John Erickson

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 09:25:53 PM »
I was pleased to see this passed with an overwhelming majority. I was getting a little worried after the less-than-desireable changes made to EGW FB8. This is a fairly strongly worded statement and it cheered me up to see it passed.
"Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen" Matthew 28:20

Plain Adventist

• In Search of Primitive Godliness
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 05:34:37 AM »
Sadly I must say that this statement does not undo the terrible damage done to the fundamental belief. Many in our church would agree that reading Ellen White's writings is beneficial, and that she was a prophet, but some of these would yet say that her writings should not be a deciding factor in determining doctrine. Some have also taught that an inspired prophet can write some error along with truth (South Pacific Record, February 2004).

To delete the reference to EGW as the messenger of the Lord, and her writings as an "authoritative source of truth" is very serious. I see this statement as a smokescreen to pacify those of us who are distressed at the damage wrought on our fundamental belief in the accuracy, veracity, and doctrinal authority of the Spirit of Prophecy.
Amy Pavlovik ~~ “The strength and spirituality of the people of God are manifest by the distinctness of the line of demarcation which separates them from the world.” SW 17

John Erickson

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 07:07:11 AM »
but to the outside believer, I don't think that this really changes much of anything. it is simply a barometer of our church which has been to a large extent rejecting the writing till Helen white for some time. But you say that the writings of Ellen White no longer apply because the fundamental beliefs got changed would not be what the average person coming into our church would read when they see this belief. I really don't think it's going to change peoples minds within our church one way or the other, or at least very few. nothing really changed as far as new members coming into the church and teaching them about our fundamental beliefs. As always, it is up to the individual members to show them that the word of the Prophet is authoritative and is there to correct errors of interpretation, etc. And might I add that the statement of confidence said all of that. So if someone ever tries to throw in your face the fundamental belief, you can also show them the statement of confidence in her writings which was also voted in that same session.

perhaps I am naive or too optimistic, but it just seems like a lot of my friends are so negative and down on things lately. Have things been perfect? Of course not. But there were several encouraging moments in this general conference session and in our church at large. Wicked people are going to do what we could people do, and that is what the shaking is for.

I think circle good things have come out of this conference. the fundamental belief on creation was beefed up and now theistic evolution has no basis for justifying it.Ted Wilson was reelected by a landslide. Women's ordination was voted down.a statement of confidence in the writings of Ellen W many including  So yes, I definitely understand why the change to the fundamental beliefs regarding Ellen White was disappointing to many including myself.please don't misunderstand, I am NOT scolding anyone here, I just see a trend of negativity and defeatism that I don't think is productive.I hope there are not too many grammatical errors in this, I am voice texting haha.
"Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen" Matthew 28:20