Author Topic: Fundamental Belief Number Six....Creation  (Read 6738 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Fundamental Belief Number Six....Creation
« on: July 07, 2015, 09:22:32 AM »
At the present moment Elder Wilson is discussing the motion before the floor, the change in Fundamental Belief Number Six, Creation. He gave his support to the proposed changes.

I am placing an interview with Lawrence Geraty at the last Session in Atlanta. You will note that he helped to formulate the old FB6. You will also note that it is why there needs to be a change.

We make our plans and then we modify them when God has different plans for us. I did not start out to interview Dr. Geraty, nor did I go in search of him. And when I came face to face with him, I then prayed about what to do. I asked God to give me a love for my brother.....and he did. So, I asked for an interview and Dr. Geraty graciously agreed. There were no conditions, there did not have to be any. He was my friend and I would treat him with respect even though we disagree on some basic doctrinal matters. It is the Christian way.

While our differences became apparent as the interview proceeded, I appreciated my brother more as I listened to him explain his understanding. Not that I changed my understanding of Bible doctrine, but I could better understand why Dr. Geraty believes as he does. I think the best of people and give them the benefit of the doubt. When I listened to Dr. Geraty, I learned more about him. We know  Dr. Geraty to a degree because we have  been following La Sierra for a number of years. So, we know some of what he believes. But, again, he is one for whom Christ  died and we are to treat him as such. As my friend, I believe I can continue to dialog with him. It is my hope that over time we can come into unity on some important doctrinal subjects.

The interview is divided into four or five segments. The first is Dr. Geraty's thoughts on the election of Ted Wilson as GC President. I did the interview on June 26 the day after Elder Wilson was elected and before "the sermon". We were thinking that it was a good choice, but were attempting to get information from others who knew him. Our hopes were confirmed as I listened to Dr. Geraty share his thoughts, thoughts from one who knows Ted Wilson very well. Ted Wilson lived in the Geraty home when attending Andrews as a seminary student.

Dr. Lawrence Geraty, on Election of Ted Wilson
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Fundamental Belief Number Six....Creation
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:31:46 AM »
The revision does not clarify when the Earth was created, 6,000 years, but uses the term "recent".  It leaves the matter open to those who do not wish to agree with a 6,000 year creation, those such as Lawrence Geraty, which is in direct contradiction of the Spirit of Prophecy.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:43:43 AM »
The Session has just passed the proposed changes for Fundamental Belief Number Six. There were maybe a hundred no votes. As an interesting note, Jay Gallimore addressed the chair as Sister Chairman.  Elder Wilson had addressed her as Sister Chair.  Most delegates addressed her as Madam Chair.

Plain Adventist

• In Search of Primitive Godliness
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:37:07 AM »
Was it one of the presenters who mentioned possibly 10,000-13,000 years? I cannot tell much from all of the disjointed comments and mini-quotations on Twitter. It also looked like the idea was promoted that there were 6 "literal" days of Creation, but not necessarily 24-hour-days. I think calling it a "recent" Creation is accommodating those who do not accept the SOP.
Amy Pavlovik ~~ “The strength and spirituality of the people of God are manifest by the distinctness of the line of demarcation which separates them from the world.” SW 17

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 12:24:03 PM »
Amy, I may be wrong, but I believe the figures were stated by one of the committee members who composed the proposed amendment. Yes, it was a watering down in my opinion.  It did stop any thought of evolution, but did not need to ignore a 6,000 year old Earth as revealed in Scripture and confirmed in the Spirit of Prophecy.

John Erickson

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:35:05 PM »
Okay, so they didn't get the 6,000 year thing in there this time around, but they were VERY clear on the 6 literal days and the week being a week as we think of it today. Also, I know people on both sides of this issue that are staunch creationists. I would be glad if someone could supply some statements where EGW says the orb or rock of the earth is about 6,000 years old. I haven't been able to find much so far. What would you quote to someone who believes in a literal 6 day creation week but thinks that the orb of earth was created further back, perhaps when the rest of the universe was created? It's an honest question, not trying to stir debate. I personally am inclined to believe the orb of earth itself is the same age as what is created on it, but I'm open to quotes either way.
"Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen" Matthew 28:20