Author Topic: Potato Bugs  (Read 2900 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Potato Bugs
« on: June 24, 2015, 06:27:14 PM »
Anyone have a good remedy for potato bugs (the little red round ones)? I've done some digging on the internet but I'm not coming up with a solution for current a problem. Lots of prevention techniques.

I saw one place that recommend sprinkling wheat germ (sounds expensive) on the ground around the plants. Supposedly they will that before the plant and the wheat germ will continue to expand in the bug and kill it eventually.

One place suggested diatomaceous earth but that was for bug that looks like a cricket.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mark W

Re: Potato Bugs
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »
Out of curiosity, spray them with a Coca-Cola mixture. They say they have been using it in India with great results. And as well let me know if it worked. Could try coffee too. Me and Irish potatoes don't get along very well so none to try it on.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 08:27:53 PM »
Mark, I'm willing to give it a try. However, should I dilute it? Spray directly on the plants? Cola doesn't seem like it would be that healthy for plants but at this point I don't have much to loose.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 03:48:46 AM »
Anyone have a good remedy for potato bugs (the little red round ones)? I've done some digging on the internet but I'm not coming up with a solution for current a problem. Lots of prevention techniques.

One place suggested diatomaceous earth but that was for bug that looks like a cricket.

I assume you talking about Colorado Potato Beetles, which have red larvae.  The adults are brown and yellow striped, and the eggs are bright orange.

I battled them for years, and Pyrethrin (derived from an African Chrysanthemum) was the only thing that worked, other than picking them off every day, and that wasn't very practical.  Then someone told me to wait until June to plant them.  Since I've started doing that, I see very few of them, and they, and their eggs and larvae, are easily picked off.  I usually plant about the end of the first week of June, although I didn't finish this year until about the middle of the month.  That still give plenty of time for them to mature.

I think diatomaceous earth would work on the larvae, but you have to apply it directly to where they are, and it won't affect the eggs, which, as I'm sure you know, are easily overlooked by late July when the potato plants form a vast jungle.

But if you're talking about some other bug, then I don't have a clue.  ;D
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 01:54:02 PM »

Picking off the beetles is next to worthless if they are bad. When we were in Michigan I counted one afternoon picking off 650 bugs and by the next day there were just as many again. They would eat the plant to the ground in just a few days. Then I found " Colorado Potato Bug Beater produced by Bonide. It is organic and the active ingredients are Spinosyn A and Spinosyn D.  A light misting and the bugs are nailed for up to two weeks. They have to eat it but it does not take long for that to happen. A couple doses of that and the problem was gone. You can buy it a various hardware stores and while not cheap at $17.00 a pint it saves the crop and a pinto will spray a lot of potatoes. It is concentrated so you add water. It also kills a host of other pests such as the dreaded cabbage worm etc..
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.