Author Topic: Small Fruit (berries and grapes)  (Read 6979 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Small Fruit (berries and grapes)
« on: June 19, 2015, 09:53:23 PM »
Dorine shared this booklet in another thread. I went looking for it and had a hard time finding it. So, it deserves its own topic. I think it will prove a blessing for many who take time to read it. I am going to quote one statement from it before I post the link to it. "The editor of  the Review and Herald, Battle Creek, spent a few weeks with me at Greenville, Montcalm Co., Mich., in the year 1868. One morning he took a Strawberry from my vines and measured it, which girt nearly five inches. In 1869 I picked one that girt six inches." If I did not know the character of the man, I would say it was a fish story.  :)   I would again grow strawberries if I could get some half that size!! 

I wanted to mention that James White wrote an article called "Small Fruit".  It describes how to plant and care for small fruit. It is excellent. I downloaded it to Kindle. I got it from http://ellenwhiteaudio.org/pioneers/ebooks-of-the-pioneers/ It was under James White
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Small Fruit (berries and grapes)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 12:28:01 PM »
One of the important considerations that encouraged James White to prepare this little booklet is something that will be of great interest to converted Seventh-day Adventists and parents who wish to train up their children with an excellent character. From the  booklet:

The change from meat-eating, to the free use of  fruit in its place, is one of  decided importance. It is a change, beneficial, physically, mentally, and morally. The American people are killing themselves with the excessive use of  meat. And how poorly does man sympathize with the groaning creation, in slaughtering and devouring those creatures that God has made and given life. The squealing of  swine, the squalling of  fowls, the bleating and bellowing of  sheep, calves, cows, and oxen, on butchering day, is all calculated to make men and women, naturally of  pretty good heart, permanently brutal. Let the change come to the use of fruits, vegetables and grains, that God has made for food for man, that he may become milder in temper, clearer and more elevated in thought, and firmer in constitution, and physical strength. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 05:42:45 PM »
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 05:59:32 AM »
Thanks for the link, Ed.  Those who read this will be encouraged.  "One  morning  he  took  a  Strawberry  from  my  vines  and 
measured it, which girt nearly five inches. In 1869 I picked one that girt six inches."  I have given up on strawberries, but I now see there is hope if I will learn of their particular needs. 

colporteur

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 10:26:39 AM »

Strawberries are a good fruit to produce since they now top the chart as being the most contaminated ( with pesticides and herbicides) fruit you can purchase. It used to be apples and now it is strawberries.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 11:12:07 AM »
Yes, cp. I was just discussing strawberries yesterday. There is no good solution except growing them. Commercial berries are loaded with sprays, and organic are exposed to worse, animal poo loaded with disease.  How about those six inch strawberries?

colporteur

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 12:02:12 PM »
Yes, cp. ...  How about those six inch strawberries?

Canaanite strawberries
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 06:31:00 AM »
got any pictures ?
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mark W

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 06:36:17 PM »
Here is my strawberry patch.. About 500 barerooted plants planted this spring. Planted in plastic mulch with drip line underneath, and the straw is to cool the rootzone down and prevent the mulch from deteriorating. Plan on this bed being here for at least 4 years.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 07:32:33 PM »
Very nice, Mark.  I am getting the idea that it does not work to have a small bed of berries, no matter what kind. There has to be enough ripening at one time to make a meal!  :) Look forward to a report on how the plastic mulch works. It is very popular out here.