Author Topic: Matthew 7:23  (Read 1757 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Matthew 7:23
« on: June 13, 2015, 06:50:25 PM »
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Today I was reading in another topic and someone brought up this verse and all the sudden like a flash of light these words brought new meaning to my mind. Yes.. I probably should have seen this years ago but the Lord is patient. Praise His name!  In the past when I've read these words in my mind I've always applied them to people who preach obvious error... In other words the "health and wealth" gospel, speaking in tongues is evidence of the Holy Spirit..etc..etc..  You know what I'm trying to say.

But tonight these words hit me like a force when I realized these people mentioned in this verse probably does include some in other groups that I've mentioned. However, what about those inside our own church who teach there is no need to overcome sin? Or find some excuse for it or believe it that's only expected of the 144,000? It's been reported to me that some preachers have even said that we will be sinning until Christ returns to earth. But if that is the case could we not be rightfully accused of being "workers of iniquity"? It seems that these people only want forgiveness. They are not interested in Christ's power to overcome.

We are counseled to take the obvious meaning of passages in the Bible and this verse means exactly what it says...

Rev 14:12  Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

God wouldn't say anything or expect anything of us that we couldn't do without His help. We are told that for every temptation there is a way of escape. We are also told that because Christ overcame the world that He knows how to succour those who are tempted. We need to truly believe this...

Jud 1:24  Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
Jud 1:25  To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

ejclark

Re: Matthew 7:23
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 08:25:08 AM »
Along with this verse, I've always attached Matthew 24:4,5

And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. 

A lot of people apply this to mean that many will say that they are Christ. Like in verse 24 where Jesus says false Christ's will arise. But I think Jesus is meaning something much more sinister here. I believe Jesus is saying that many will proclaim that He, the crucified and risen saviour is the Christ and will use that truth as a springboard to accompany error and will deceive many.

2 Cor. 11:13-15
For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works. 

Here we have false pastors and teachers making themselves appear as if they are preaching and teaching the truths of Christ, yet they mix error with the truth and make truth into a lie, light into darkness. People end up worshiping Satan and his doctrine while believing they are keeping God's and worshiping Christ Jesus. By default they are worshiping Satan thinking they worship God. What a rude awakening some people will come to realize too late.

colporteur

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 06:55:12 PM »

That is an interesting perspective that I have not thought of before. The difficult part is.... "saying I am Christ".  Is the person saying that the person is Christ or that Jesus is Christ?"  Is there the potential for a double application ? Jesus could have said, many will come saying that they are Christ. But He did not say that. Could be he left that open to be taken two different ways.

Along the line of what you are saying however, have "many" came and said that they were Christ? It seems like there have been relatively few that have said that.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 07:09:03 PM »
Thanks Ej and Cp. There is often more than one way to look to at a verse. As I heard a sermon a few days ago the preacher said (my paraphrase) that if you lived 10,000 years there will be something to new to see in passages that seem very familiar.

What struck me with such force is the fact that some truly believe there is no reason to be overly concerned about gaining victories over sin because God is love and mercy. As a matter of fact I've heard one preacher say that if you're worried about such a thing you're not resting in Christ.

However, if you're still sinning when Christ returns why wouldn't you be labeled a worker of iniquity? I also believe that this includes those living today since if you die today the next thing you'll know is Christ returning either before or after the millennium and if it's after the millennium the same proclamation of being workers of iniquity is still valid.

Why I didn't see this before I don't understand but it's so clear to me now.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}