Author Topic: How do we persuade and convince them that time is short ?  (Read 8132 times)

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
How do we persuade and convince them that time is short ?
« on: May 24, 2015, 04:48:06 PM »

In my emails - before deleting I read that Motley Fool had produced a guide for inverstors.
Three parts detailed -

Motley Fool-How much you need to start investing.   

( Do they invest in Heaven first and foremost ? )

Motley Fool-The key steps for building long-term wealth.

( How do we persuade and convince them that time is short ? )

Motley Fool-Proven ways to find great companies to buy.

(National & International infrastructures are houses of cards ? Probation is showing edges of twilight - sunset is arriving )

How do we educate, inform, persuade, convince, convict, create desire to act - ?
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Ed Sutton

Re: How do we persuade and convince them that time is short ?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 07:51:13 PM »
Rephrasing the question .

How do we do our part in creating the appetite and desire to become SDA in those who never had it before ?

Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

ejclark

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 06:45:38 AM »

How do we do our part in creating the appetite and desire to become SDA in those who never had it before ?

That's not our job. Our job is to spread the gospel and teach the truth. It's the Holy Spirit's job to create the appetite and desire to embrace those truths.
It is not by the might or power of the human agent that truth is to be impressed upon minds, "but by My Spirit, saith the Lord of hosts." [Zechariah 4:6.] It is not the temperament or the eloquence of the one who preaches the word that makes his work successful. Paul may plant and Apollos water, but God gives the increase. It is a minister's familiarity with God's word and his submission to the divine will, that give success to his efforts.  {GW 251.3}

The command of God is addressed to all the members of the church to use their powers in his service. Though the instrument may be weak, it is the power of God that will accomplish the work. Paul may plant, and Apollos may water, but it is God who gives the increase. There is a great work to do; and the Spirit of the living God must enter into the living messenger, that the truth may go with power. Without the Holy Spirit, without the breath of God, there is torpidity of conscience, loss of spiritual life. Unless there is genuine conversion of the soul to God; unless the vital breath of God quickens the soul to spiritual life; unless the professors of truth are actuated by heaven-born principles, they are not born of the incorruptible seed, which liveth and abideth forever. Unless they trust in the righteousness of Christ as their only security; unless they copy his character, labor in his spirit, they are naked; they have not on the robe of righteousness. The dead are often made to pass for the living; for those who are working out what they term salvation after their own ideas, have not God working in them to will and to do of his good pleasure.  {RH, December 3, 1908 par. 10}   

Our work for others doesn't have so much to do with what we say and teach or what methods we use; but are we living what we preach? Are we embracing in our own lives the things we've learned to allow the Holy Spirit access to our lives and too our work? If we are not filled with the Holy Spirit in our every day lives, how can we pass that on to others? Knowledge is an empty barrel without being accompanied by the Living Spirit.

I have learned a lot more things to incorporate into my own life that I will never have a chance to teach in our church as an elder. If I'm not living my life according to all the light I've received, the Holy Spirit will not accompany and have full influence on what I do teach.

"Unless they trust in the righteousness of Christ.....unless they....labor in his spirit"{RH, December 3, 1908 par. 10}   

It is the same with an evangelist trying to teach the gospel to the world. If that evangelist hasn't embraced and taken steps to incorporate all the truths they've learned into their life, their work will be powerless and fruitless.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 07:54:22 AM »
Amen, ej. Jesus spent more time healing than preaching. He revealed His love for us while we were yet sinners. Here is a prophecy that will be of interest to all in the church who are wanting to have a part in leading others to Christ and His truth. I believe this inspired statement illustrates what our brother, ej is saying: "And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes." Ezekiel 36:23.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ed Sutton

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 07:57:34 AM »

God has a part, we have a part.  In talking to the Samaritan woman Jesus used the laws of the human mind - speaking to her with human words, to create and strengthen her desire to take action, the Holy Ghost did His job, but each human speaker does have their job to do as a speaker.   

Google      "Christ's Method of Evangelism - by the late S.D.A. Pastor Evangelist John L. Shuler

"Christ's Method of Evangelism   A study in the six fold process of Soul Winning    By John L. Shuler 1941

It was the precursor to the book "Persuasion" a book built to teach SDA Pastors how to win souls.    Pastor Roy West  reported that in a 2000 survey  80-90 % of SDA pastors at that time had never brought an individual to Christ by their personal efforts.   

colporteur

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 10:59:09 AM »

I'm afraid that if people are not getting the drift that we are heading over a cliff and catapulting toward a world crisis there is little we can say to convince them. The signs are screaming out everywhere.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

carls365

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 11:22:21 AM »

I'm afraid that if people are not getting the drift that we are heading over a cliff and catapulting toward a world crisis there is little we can say to convince them. The signs are screaming out everywhere.

They'll do what they want to do. I don't know what we can expect of the world's people when our own people are falling to the world by the droves. There is so much to entice the mind today, the latest and greatest IPhone, tablets, and such. A very popular rage is the "sport" MMA fights. (mixed martial arts). Another big craze is drones, a disaster waiting to happen. More than likely soon, we'll see drones daily flying about. And if there's a way to use them for criminal activity, they'll find it like mounting a gun on a drone, it's been done and proven.

colporteur

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 12:06:28 PM »

I have heard it said, Carl that the closest range for a done is outside of shotgun range. However, if the drone is loaded as well, that could be a different story. There is no end to the mischief that drones could be used to cause.

carls365

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 01:44:38 PM »
It just occurred to me, drones if used in the right way can bring the message to people all around, say distributing literature and many other smallish items. Surely it can be done, Amazon delivers packages with drones.

Ed Sutton

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 11:09:50 PM »
Part-1
Being there with the woman in person, by what He did and said,  Jesus arrested the woman's attention

The presence of the Holy Spirit working through Him reached out to her and awakened her mind and heart to listen

He put her under conviction of need of what He had to offer

He caused her to desire what He had to offer

He demonstrated her need of Messiah / Saviour / and then revealed His identity as Messiah once she trusted Him

He met her deep heart needs and answered her deep heart questions

He caused her to desire to accept Him as Messiah and trust Him that He as Messiah would receive her and pardon her

The evidence she accepted Him as Messiah was shown by her conversion that opened her heart to receive Him as her Lord and Saviour and immediately moved her to be filled with His benevolence to save others and she left her water jug and ran into town to proclaim Him as the Christ   

The Ladder of Decision
Christ's Expressions Steps in securing decision The Woman's Responses

"I that speak.........am He" 6. DECISION AND ACTION "Come, see a man"

" The Father seeketh such" 5. INTENSIFYING DESIRE "I know that Messias cometh"

"Thou hast well said" 4. CONVICTION " I perceive.......... a prophet "

"Go call thy husband" 4. CONVICTION "I have no husband "

"Shall never thirst" 3. AWAKENING DESIRE "Give me this water"

"Living water" 2. INTEREST "Whence ?" "Art thou greater ?"

"Give Me to drink" 1. ATTENTION "How is it ? "

Let us inquire further, why did Christ, without waiting to receive the drink He had requested, proceed to talk about a certain wonderful living water that He could give her ? It was to arouse her interest in the salvation that He wanted her to accept.
"Living water" .......... "Whence ?" "Art thou greater ?"

2. INTEREST .......... The effectiveness with which He thus aroused her interest is evidenced by the two questions which she asked, as represented by the key words on the right - hand side, the second line from the bottom . So we have placed the word " INTEREST " as the second round in the ladder of the soul - winning process .
"Shall never thirst" .............. "Give me this water"

3. AWAKENING DESIRE . ------ Why did Christ, without attempting to answer her questions, proceed how this living water would satisfy the soul of the receiver, and give eternal life ? It was to awaken her desire for salvation.

The response which this drew from her, as listed on the right on third line — "Give me this water" — proves how effective Christ's was in arousing her desires . So we have placed the words " AWAKENING DESIRE " as the third step in the process by which Jesus won this woman to the Lord.
"Go call thy husband" ............... "I have no husband "

4. CONVICTION . ---- Why did Christ at this juncture ask her to call her husband when He knew that she did not have one ? We answer that no one can make a true decision to follow Christ until there is implanted in his heart a conviction of his own great need, and his desire is intensified to the point where he reaches out to receive Christ . Hence Christ's fourth and fifth statements were deliberately chosen for the purpose of producing such a conviction in the woman's heart. So we have placed the word " CONVICTION " on the fourth and fifth lines as the next step by which this soul was won .

" The Father seeketh such" ............... "I know that Messias cometh"
5. INTENSIFYING DESIRE ------- Christ's sixth statement about those whom the Father was seeking was designed to intensify her desire so that she would reach out to secure salvation when Jesus opened the final step to her . So we have placed the words " INTENSIFYING DESIRE " on the sixth line as the impelling step that lead her to the decision for God .
"I that speak.........am He" .................... "Come, see a man"

6. DECISION AND ACTION ------- Note that in her response to Christ's sixth statement, she admitted that Messiah alone could really do for her what needed to be done, and that she was determined to accept Him whenever He would appear. Her response showed that she was ready to make her decision. Then Jesus to her the final step by announcing that He Himself was the Messiah . This brought her to a decision. So we have placed the word "DECISION "on the seventh line as the consummating step in the soul winning process.

At this juncture the woman left her water pot and went into the city, and said to the people " Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did; is this not the Christ ? " She went out to win others to Christ. Decision for Christ brings action on the side of God. So we have placed the word " ACTION " on the top line.

Now read the words in the middle of the diagram, from the bottom line up to the top, and you will have a wonderful revelation from the Master Evangelist of the step by step process by which a soul may be won to God . In John 4 Christ details for us the successive and progressive steps of soul winning . His method of winning the woman of Samaria was, first, to arrest her attention, then to cause attention to ripen into interest . Next He awakened her desire for salvation, and implanted the conviction of her own need, so that she was led to decision and action for God .

Jesus drew this woman to God by a golden chain composed of indispensable links - Attention, Interest, Conviction, Desire, Decision and Action . He lifted her from a life of sin for the devil to a life of service for God by leading her through the successive steps set forth in the diagram

Ed Sutton

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 11:26:23 PM »
Part-2

Let us remember that Christ's methods alone will give true success in reaching the people, and that those who follow Christ's methods will win souls. John 4 teaches us that one of the essentials of following Christ's methods for successful soul winning is for us to know how to arrest attention with God's Word, arouse interest in God's special message, implant conviction, and awaken desire for obedience to God, thus leading men and women to decision and action for the Lord . When we apply this process to catching men, it means that we must first catch their ears for attention, then catch their minds with interest, next catch their hearts with desire and conviction, and finally catch their souls for decision and action for the Lord.

A soul winner should study how to accomplish effectively each of these six steps in reference to the people for whom he labors. The better he can lead men from attention to interest, from interest to conviction, from conviction to desire, from desire to decision and action for God, the more men he will catch for God.

Implanting Conviction work of Holy Spirit

Any expert salesman will tell you that in these six words you have compressed the entire science of salesmanship. The salesman of the world must depend on his own power for accomplishing this sixfold process in his customers. But the Christian Coulporter ( LE ) , the Bible Worker, the personal worker, and the minister have the mighty aid of the Holy Spirit. Implanting conviction is one of the specific works of the Holy Spirit. Jesus says of the Spirit : "when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:" John 16:8. And in Philippians 2:13 we learn that by the Holy Spirit God creates within men the desire to do His gracious will, and brings the accomplishment of that desire. Under the co-opperation of the Spirit, decision results in regeneration and conversion.

It is of interest to note that He who made man's mind worked along the lines of the natural movements of the human mind in leading it back to God. Christ conducted His work in keeping with the laws of the mind, which He as Creator had implanted. This means that to follow Christ's methods we must study to conduct our work for souls along the lines of the natural movements of the mind and the laws of the mind. Note how this principle of successful soulwinning is brought to us by the Spirit of Prophecy .

"It is highly important that a pastor mingle much with his people, and thus become acquainted with the different phases of human nature. He should study the workings of the mind, that he may adapt his teachings to the intellect of his hearers."—"Gospel Workers" p.- 191

"In order to lead souls to Jesus there must be a knowledge of human nature and a study of the human mind."----- "Testimonies" Vol. IV, p- 67.

We need to understand the natural working of the human mind in making a decision, and then conduct our work in keeping with the laws of the mind. When we conduct our work according to the natural working of the human mind, we are increasing our prospect of success; whereas if we conduct our work counter to the working of the mind , we are inviting failure and defeat. In order to do effective personal work or effective preaching we should therefore understand the workings of the mind, especially in regard to these six steps – attention , interest, conviction, desire, decision, action. If our preaching or teaching is to be successful in imparting truth, it must lead the mind of the hearers through this six fold process by which Jesus won the woman of Samaria to God. There are four phases or processes through which the mind passes in coming to a decision about a matter presented to it by another. These are attention, interest, desire, conviction. Success or failure in leading a soul to a decision may depend upon how we conduct our work in relation to this natural working of his mind.

Bible readings, Bible studies, sermons, and evangelistic lectures will be more effective if they are organized so as to secure the progression embraced in these six steps, because they are the natural phases through which men's minds pass in acting on any given matter. The purpose of a series Bible Readings with an individual, or a series of evangelistic series with an audience, is to lead people from attention to action for God. Hence it is important for the worker to arrange the order of the subjects according to this six fold, natural progression of the human mind in reaching decisions .

The first few subjects in an evangelistic effort should be deliberately chosen to arrest attention and to arouse interest. Other subjects follow which will concentrate upon implanting conviction and intensifying desire. Then decision and action will follow as naturally and certainly as the rose comes forth from the bud .

Motivating Desire and Compelling Conviction

frequently young ministers come to me and say, "The people where I have been holding meetings are convinced of the truth. They admit that all the doctrines of the message are true, but they make no move to obey the message. What can I do to lead people over the line for the Lord ? " That is one of the hardest problems of public evangelism. John 4 will help you in solving that problem . There you may learn what is lacking, in many cases in securing decisions from people who believe the truth, who are convinced, and yet make no move to obey the message. When you know what is lacking in the matter of securing their decision,   then you will be able to direct your efforts intelligently to meet the situation and lead many over the line in obedience to God's Commandments.

Why is it that many workers can arouse an interest, and may have a long list of interested people, yet fail to secure decisions ? It is largely because they fail to take the proper steps in the right progression for implanting conviction and desire. There will not be — can not be — any decision without a motivating desire and an impelling conviction.

This explains why people often times admit that the Sabbath and other truths are right, and yet make no move in obeying the truth. The cause of failure in securing decisions is found in the minister's sermons, talks, and labor with these people. His efforts were not properly organized to awaken desire and to produce conviction of the imperative need of heeding God's teaching.

Notice how easily Jesus secured the woman's decision to be a Christian when He had laid the proper groundwork in conviction and desire. To secure decision, we must especially concentrate on implanting conviction, and intensifying desire. Conviction and desire are the keys to the door of decision. If there were two different padlocks on a door, you would need to use the two keys to those locks to open the door. So in order to lead people through the door of decision, we must learn to use the two keys of desire and conviction. Conviction and desire are decision in the bud. Action is the fruit of decision. There is no use to expect fruit on the apple tree unless it blooms. And it can not bloom unless it buds.

Note how Christ lead the woman along tactfully, step by step, from attention to interest, and from interest to desire and conviction, so that her decision came as a natural result. , just as water is sure to boil if you heat it to the boiling point. Christ's methods teach us that in order to secure decisions for God, we must unfold present truth step by step in a series of sermons or Bible readings, thus laying the groundwork for decision. This will enable us to carry the person's mind step by step to the point where obedience and action come as a natural result, as it did in the case of the woman of Samaria.

Christ does not ask us to go forth and repeat to other souls the identical words that He spoke to this woman. But by carefully studying and analyzing the words He chose, we may discover the factors and principles He used to effect the correct steps in the soul winning process . Then if we employ the same factors, principles, and laws, we can by His help win men to God by arresting their attention, arousing their interest, implanting conviction, and so awakening and intensifying their desire that they will be lead to decision and action for God. Such a study will enable us to apply Christ's methods to twentieth century evangelism.

May God help us as under-evangelists sit at the feet of the Master Evangelist, to catch His Spirit, and to follow His methods, that we may see many wonderful transformations and revivals like the one recorded in this chapter of Holy Writ.

Discussion :
J. C. Garcia : Can we apply these methods all over the world ?

J. L . Schuler : Yes, I would say the same general principles may be applied . We would not start out to arrest attention by saying, "Give me a drink of water," of course. But we can use the same principle – the combination of the usual with the unusual . This woman knew that people sometimes ask for a drink, but she had never heard or thought of a Jew asking her for a drink . We take the same principle – combining the usual with the unusual – and effectively arouse men's attention . We can use current events, for example . Talk one minute on the war situation in Europe today, and you have everyone's attention **. That is simply combining the usual – what is going on in the world – with the unusual, which in this case would be the prophetic word, which is unusual to most people .

T. L. Copeland : What was the principle or method of advertising that Christ used ?

J. L . Schuler : The best advertisement in the world is a converted soul, one who goes out and tells other people what happened to him at the tent or tabernacle . We need more of that kind of advertising. Every evangelist here knows that the best advertising is a satisfied soul – one who comes to the meetings and finds that which meets the needs of his heart. In the instance under consideration Christ's only advertisement was the work He accomplished in that woman's heart . She went out and gave it publicity . I am convinced that we need more walking advertisements of this kind .

H . S . Prenier : One principle very important in soul winning is tact . When the woman wanted to start an argument with Jesus, when she wanted to sidetrack Him, as it were, we see how Christ used divine tact in bringing her to a decision . If He had not used this tact, her conviction perhaps would have wavered .

A . G . Griffin : I think we are weak on some of the points mentioned . It seems to me that we do fairly well in gaining the interest, and are strong on conviction, but we are weak on gaining decisions and action . Why is this so ? Perhaps we are too argumentative in giving the message . Possibly it is because we speak more to the mind than to the heart, rather than make a balanced appeal to both mind and heart . Perhaps we fail in presenting the appeal in such a way as really grips the heart . Sometimes as much depends on how we say a thing as on what we say to the people . We need to use the same tone of voice as Christ would use in speaking to the people . Thus they go away feeling that they must accept the truth, rather than simply that what we have said is the truth .

J. L . Schuler : Yes, the average Adventist preacher is strong on points 1 and 2 – attention and interest – and weak on getting decisions . He does not give due emphasis to conviction and decision . Again and again it has been demonstrated that men who will give emphasis to the appeal every night , and who try to produce conviction, are the men who get the largest results . So I would conclude that the reason we are weak in securing decisions is because our preaching and our personal efforts are defective when it comes to these final steps that enter into soul winning .
(**Ed's note - written in WWII time 1941 )

These transcripts are from the Book
"Report of Evangelistic Council and Ministerial Association Meetings General Conference, San Francisco   May 22 to June 1941 "

Ed Sutton

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 11:54:31 PM »
part-3 - synopsis - conclusion

Pray & live ( Matthew 16:24; Mark 8:34; Luke 9:23; Matthew 11:29 )  to get filled with Holy Spirit

The world needs today what it needed nineteen hundred years ago--a revelation of Christ. A great work of reform is demanded, and it is only through the grace of Christ that the work of restoration, physical, mental, and spiritual, can be accomplished.  {MH 143.2} 

Christ's method alone will give true success in reaching the people. The Saviour mingled with men as one who desired their good. He showed His sympathy for them, ministered to their needs, and won their confidence. Then He bade them, "Follow Me."  {MH 143.3} 

There is need of coming close to the people by personal effort. If less time were given to sermonizing, and more time were spent in personal ministry, greater results would be seen. The poor are to be relieved, the sick cared for, the sorrowing and the bereaved comforted, the ignorant instructed, the inexperienced counseled. We are to weep with those that weep, and rejoice with those that rejoice. Accompanied by the power of persuasion, the power of prayer, the power of the love of God, this work will not, cannot, be without fruit.  {MH 143.4} 

1. mingled with men as one who desired their good.
2. He showed His sympathy for them,
3. ministered to their needs,
4. and won their confidence.
5. Then He bade them, "Follow Me." 
6. arrested attention
7. gained their interest
8. created conviction
9. built desire to follow and act on His call
10. developed desire and showed how / explained / tutored how the Bible said to take action.

colporteur

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 07:05:48 AM »

Christ's method alone will give true success in reaching the people. The Saviour mingled with men as one who desired their good. He showed His sympathy for them, ministered to their needs, and won their confidence. Then He bade them, "Follow Me."  {MH 143.3} 

This like all of the SOP is edifying. There is a problem, however. There are those in our church broadcast as well as in our own local church that do not understand this quote. They mingle with non SDAs in a cult-like setting where they themselves are leavened and without realizing it instead of "then bade them follow me" they follow Babylon. They become ecumenical without realizing that they are the one that is being changed. Then then return to their local church and bade the congregation go mingle with those not of our faith. That sounds good but going to the pro football game, going to the movies, having breakfast with the Free Masons at their lodge, etc. etc.. is not witnessing and calling them, out of Babylon.
Jesus never withheld truth. became ecumenical, or spoke politically correct in order  to blend in.  There may be fine lines here but in my mind it is looking for trouble to invite our people who already struggle with, for instance, theatre going to invite them to mingle with others by partaking of what they do. That is the slippery slope that God's people have traveled down all through history, to their demise.

Ed Sutton

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
This is why Jesus delineated salvation's terms in plain language to Nicodemus.   Nicodemus had all the correct doctrines on the surface, the internal work of truth was lacking, and God's character IE : the love and faith residing in the human heart / mind of Jesus was lacking.

( Internal Truth in the loyalty of the heart, God's thoughts of Love, benevolence, faith, trust, confidence, obedience - both in what God has said, and God's righteousness what God is like personally )  >  genuine conversion > which is progressive in nature.

That's what was lacking and must be there - or unity with Heaven - Heaven within - is lacking. 

Thus the conceptions of soul winning mirror the ever dimmer views of what The GodHead is really like and salvation actually is. 

Every soul in every Conference, in every part of the Lord's vineyard, has the privilege of knowing the truth. But truth is not truth to those who do not practice it. Truth is only truth to you when you live it in the daily life, showing the world what those people must be who are at last saved.  {GCB, April 3, 1901 par. 10} 
     "Wherefore, gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance."  {GCB, April 3, 1901 par. 11}     

There are those to whom the truth is not truth. The work of the Redeemer exerts no restoring influence upon their lives. The will of God is not obeyed. The countless mercies and blessings bestowed on them are received as a matter of course. What is the matter? They do not obey the injunction, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind."  {ST, September 12, 1900 par. 9} 

Christ declares, "The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." To make a profession of faith while we fail, to receive the truth as a thirsty man receives water, leaves the soul as barren as the hills of Gilboa. The heart is the citadel of the being, and until the heart is surrendered to God, the enemy will claim it as his stronghold, and no power on earth can dispossess him. Christianity is not there. Its place is occupied by sophistry. Love for the Saviour and for those for whom He died is not there. There is no experimental knowledge of the words, "We are laborers together with God; ye are God's husbandry; ye are God's building."  {ST, September 12, 1900 par. 10} 

Are there not many like the fig-tree which bore no fruit? They seem to think that a profession of following Christ constitutes the sum of Christianity. Many dishonor the religion of the Bible by lowering the standard to meet their own attainments. They do not prepare themselves to meet the attacks of the enemy. They do not crucify self. They seem not to realize that they are to fight constantly against the inclinations of the natural heart. O, for more of the spirit of the Master! How much His children need it!  {ST, September 12, 1900 par. 11} 

We are not obliged to forsake business pursuits in order to live the religion of Christ. We need not flee to the desert and dwell in the caves of the earth in order to obtain a closer walk with God. The Lord does not require us to be useless in society in order to serve Him. Indolence is not a Christian grace. We are to be zealous of good works, "not slothful in business; fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."  {ST, September 12, 1900 par. 12} 

In all business relations we must represent God, showing ourselves to be Christians. Men can serve God in business life if amid the temptations of the world they keep His religion pure and undefiled. The Christian is to set his aim high. He is to let his light shine before men, that they may see his good works, and glorify his heavenly Father. Amid the confusion and change of daily life, he is to hold fast his integrity.  {ST, September 12, 1900 par. 13} 

God's will is to be our will and His way our way just as much when we are engaged in business as when we are on our knees in prayer. We are to maintain Christian principles under all circumstances, however trying. The religion of the Bible is for all times and all occasions.  {ST, September 12, 1900 par. 14} 

True goodness is revealed by the bearing of good fruit. This goodness bears the endorsement of heaven. The religion of Christ makes all who possess it truly benevolent. It countenances no littleness, no mean transactions. True Christians have a nobility which allows none of the cheap, covetous actions that are a disgrace to the doer.  {ST, September 12, 1900 par. 15}   

This is why I feel the need of personal study of the topic of what does being rooted in Christ and His Truths and in the faith - really mean .

The interconnected divine barometers Christ gives RE rooted in Him are thus.  Matthew 13:3-52; Mark 4: 3-32; Luke 8:5-21 .    I am condemned by them as I compare myself with them, and I am seeking to make complete work of getting re-rooted in Christ like in Theodore AL and more so, as the present spiritual climate is darker now than the world and the SDA Church was then.

Ed Sutton

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 07:53:01 PM »
In light of more recent news . the San Bernardino shootings committed by the Muslim couple, I am posting in a different direction on this topic.

As the return of Jesus gets ever closer and humanity offends the Holy Ghost enough, to progressively forfeit evermore of His protection, it seems appropriate to look at this quote again and soon to start to go over each statement in the over all quote, to prompt searching Scripture & SOP for the remedy. The remedy for ourselves, our loved ones, our churches, or acquaintances, our neighbors, and those we meet and also witness to.

( possessed demon* = 91 SOP hits )

As the return of Jesus gets ever closer and humanity offends the Holy Ghost enough, to progressively forfeit evermore of His protection, it seems appropriate to look at this quote again and soon to start to go over each statement in the over all quote, to prompt searching Scripture & SOP for the remedy. The remedy for ourselves, our loved ones, our churches, or acquaintances, our neighbors, and those we meet and also witness to.

The condition of things in the world shows that troublous times are right upon us. The daily papers are full of indications of a terrible conflict in the near future. Bold robberies are of frequent occurrence. Strikes are common. Thefts and murders are committed on every hand. Men possessed of demons are taking the lives of men, women, and little children. Men have become infatuated with vice, and every species of evil prevails. The enemy has succeeded in perverting justice and in filling men's hearts with the desire for selfish gain. "Justice standeth afar off: for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter." Isaiah 59:14. In the great cities there are multitudes living in poverty and wretchedness, well-nigh destitute of food, shelter, and clothing; while in the same cities are those who have more than heart could wish, who live luxuriously, spending their money on richly furnished houses, on personal adornment, or worse still, upon the gratification of sensual appetites, upon liquor, tobacco, and other things that destroy the powers of the brain, unbalance the mind, and debase the soul. The cries of starving humanity are coming up before God, while by every species of oppression and extortion men are piling up colossal fortunes. {CCh 37.3} 

I was in the night season called upon to behold buildings rising story after story toward heaven. These buildings were warranted to be fireproof, and they were erected to glorify the owners and builders. Higher and still higher these buildings rose, and in them the most costly material was used. Those to whom these buildings belonged were not asking themselves: "How can we best glorify God?" The Lord was not in their thoughts. {CCh 37.4} 

As these lofty buildings went up, the owners rejoiced with ambitious pride that they had money to use in gratifying self and provoking the envy of their neighbors. Much of the money that they thus invested had been obtained through exaction, through grinding down the poor. They forgot that in heaven an account of every business transaction is kept; every unjust deal, every fraudulent act, is there recorded. The time is coming when in their fraud and insolence men will reach a point that the Lord will not permit them to pass, and they will learn that there is a limit to the forbearance of Jehovah. {CCh 37.5} 

The scene that next passed before me was an alarm of fire. Men looked at the lofty and supposedly fireproof buildings and said: "They are perfectly safe." But these buildings were consumed as if made of pitch. The fire engines could do nothing to stay the destruction. The firemen were unable to operate the engines. {CCh 38.1} 
I am instructed that when the Lord's time comes, should no change have taken place in the hearts of proud, ambitious human beings, men will find that the hand that had been strong to save will be strong to destroy. No earthly power can stay the hand of God. No material can be used in the erection of buildings that will preserve them from destruction when God's appointed time comes to send retribution on men for their disregard of His law and for their selfish ambition. {CCh 38.2} 

There are not many, even among educators and statesmen, who comprehend the causes that underlie the present state of society. Those who hold the reins of government are not able to solve the problem of moral corruption, poverty, pauperism, and increasing crime. They are struggling in vain to place business operations on a more secure basis. If men would give more heed to the teaching of God's word, they would find a solution of the problems that perplex them. {CCh 38.3} 

The Scriptures describe the condition of the world just before Christ's second coming. Of the men who by robbery and extortion are amassing great riches, it is written: "Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days. Behold, the hire of the laborers who have reaped down your fields, which is of you kept back by fraud, crieth: and the cries of them which have reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth. Ye have lived in pleasure on the earth, and been wanton; ye have nourished your hearts, as in a day of slaughter. Ye have condemned and killed the just; and he doth not resist you." James 5:3-6. {CCh 38.4} 

But who reads the warnings given by the fast-fulfilling signs of the times? What impression is made upon worldlings? What change is seen in their attitude? No more than was seen in the attitude of the inhabitants of the Noachian world. Absorbed in worldly business and pleasure, the antediluvians "knew not until the Flood came, and took them all away." Matthew 24:39. They had heaven-sent warnings, but they refused to listen. And today the world, utterly regardless of the warning voice of God, is hurrying on to eternal ruin. {CCh 38.5} 

The world is stirred with the spirit of war. The prophecy of the eleventh chapter of Daniel has nearly reached its complete fulfillment. Soon the scenes of trouble spoken of in the prophecies will take place. {CCh 38.6} 

"Behold, the Lord maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down, and scattereth abroad the inhabitants thereof. . . . Because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate. . . . The mirth of tabrets ceaseth, the noise of them that rejoice endeth, the joy of the harp ceaseth." Isaiah 24:1-8. {CCh 38.7} 

"Alas for the day! for the day of the Lord is at hand, and as a destruction from the Almighty shall it come. . . ." Joel 1:15. {CCh 39.1} 

"I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light. I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly. I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled. I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down." Jeremiah 4:23-26. {CCh 39.2} 

"Alas! for that day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob's trouble; but he shall be saved out of it." Jeremiah 30:7. {CCh 39.3} 

Not all in this world have taken sides with the enemy against God. Not all have become disloyal. There are a faithful few who are true to God; for John writes: "Here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." Revelation 14:12. Soon the battle will be waged fiercely between those who serve God and those who serve Him not. Soon everything that can be shaken will be shaken, that those things that cannot be shaken may remain. {CCh 39.4} 

Satan is a diligent Bible student. He knows that his time is short, and he seeks at every point to counterwork the work of the Lord upon this earth. It is impossible to give any idea of the experience of the people of God who shall be alive upon the earth when celestial glory and a repetition of the persecutions of the past are blended. They will walk in the light proceeding from the throne of God. By means of the angels there will be constant communication between heaven and earth. And Satan, surrounded by evil angels, and claiming to be God, will work miracles of all kinds, to deceive, if possible, the very elect. God's people will not find their safety in working miracles, for Satan will counterfeit the miracles that will be wrought. God's tried and tested people will find their power in the sign spoken of in Exodus 31:12-18. They are to take their stand on the living word: "It is written." This is the only foundation upon which they can stand securely. Those who have broken their covenant with God will in that day be without God and without hope. {CCh 39.5} 

The worshipers of God will be especially distinguished by their regard for the fourth commandment, since this is the sign of God's creative power and the witness to His claim upon man's reverence and homage. The wicked will be distinguished by their efforts to tear down the Creator's memorial and to exalt the institution of Rome. In the issue of the conflict all Christendom will be divided into two great classes, those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, and those who worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark. Although church and state will unite their power to compel all, "both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond," to receive the mark of the beast, yet the people of God will not receive it. Revelation 13:16. The prophet of Patmos beholds "them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God," and singing the song of Moses and the Lamb. Revelation 15:2. {CCh 39.6}

Fearful tests and trials await the people of God. The spirit of war is stirring the nations from one end of the earth to the other. But in the midst of the time of trouble that is coming,a time of trouble such as has not been since there was a nation God's chosen people will stand unmoved. Satan and his host cannot destroy them, for angels that excel in strength will protect them. 2 {CCh 40.1}    

Pull up this entire quote on your PC or laptop if you will, put a hard return to separate each new facet as the sentences change, consider each one.  Christ has a remedy for each facet from Satan.  Build Bible Studies to receive and teach Christ's remedies.

Watch the 5 part Crete to Malta Series http://amazingdiscoveries.tv/media/2318/241-from-crete-to-malta-part-1/

Consider that it is a clash of minds - watch that 9 part series also.    http://amazingdiscoveries.tv/media/2250/261-verily-my-sabbaths/ 

Read and understand and learn  - New Words for Witnessing & What to say in a Whole New Way ( keep everything in harmony with Scripture & SOP.  Always use Scripture's terminology when describing things, keep it simple, speak from the heart.