Author Topic: Soil Preparation  (Read 2684 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Soil Preparation
« on: May 21, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »
Understanding the needs of different plants has a lot to do with our success in gardening.  Before planting in my current garden area, I had the use of a backhoe when digging a ditch. I took advantage of it and dug out the garden area to about five feet. I then brought in a sandy loam from another area. It is mixed in with the existing clay soil. Other than the one example I am going to share, I would not know of the difference this has had on my gardening. But, this one example is pretty graphic.

I do not know the exact outline of where the hole was dug. I have a good idea, but not exact. Here is a photo that shows artichoke plants that went in four years ago. Notice the difference between in the one plant in foreground and the those in the background. The only difference is in location. The small one is planted in the native clay and the others in the hole prepared with the backhoe and supplemented with the sandy loam. The clay soil was not dug up. I just dug a small hole and planted.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mark W

Re: Soil Preparation
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 10:07:48 PM »
Richard, I have seen this happen many times. seen where a ditch was dug to lay a cable and things flourished for a while. You went the extra step and added to the clay and indeed you see it did wonders. Around here to build up the soil, I use green manure crops. I can build a lot of ground fairly cheep and can see dramatic results like you posted. I like to use soy beans for a summer crop. Any legume will do for they get there nitrogen from the air mainly, and in turn when plowing them under, you are adding nitrogen to the soil. If you were to plant something else other then a legume, the plant has to take its nitrogen out of the soil. And when you plow it back under, you are just returning the nitrogen back to the soil and not adding any. As well the green manure is adding organic matter into the soil which is essential for a healthy soil. 

For a winter crop I try to use winter rye for it just puts so much bio mass in the soil with its green growth above and the intense root system below ground. The two pictures are actually the same piece of ground with beans planted and worked in last summer and autumn, and the rye went in last fall and was plowed under this spring. I have not a picture, but some rye was planted beside where the beans were and like your artichokes, the results were night and day. This garden is now my tomato patch and am hoping the extra effort pays off.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 05:26:10 AM »
Thanks for the photos, Mark. Why are you disking the soybeans and ripping the rye?  Does it have to do with the field rather than the cover crop?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mark W

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 07:33:31 PM »
Richard, I just disked the beans under for the ground was planted in rye two weeks after the disking, so figured I would just save fuel. The root mass on the rye however really needs plowed under. This path of soil is a little.sandy, so have to keep after it to provide adiquate nutrients to the crop.