Author Topic: "Truth" According to Google  (Read 1294 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
"Truth" According to Google
« on: March 04, 2015, 10:08:51 AM »
THE internet is stuffed with garbage. Anti-vaccination websites make the front page of Google, and fact-free "news" stories spread like wildfire. Google has devised a fix rank websites according to their truthfulness.

Google's search engine currently uses the number of incoming links to a web page as a proxy for quality, determining where it appears in search results. So pages that many other sites link to are ranked higher. This system has brought us the search engine as we know it today, but the downside is that websites full of misinformation can rise up the rankings, if enough people link to them.
Source
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: "Truth" According to Google
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 11:25:29 AM »
"the system which is not yet live counts the number of incorrect facts within a page. "A source that has few false facts is considered to be trustworthy," says the team (arxiv.org/abs/1502.03519v1). The score they compute for each page is its Knowledge-Based Trust score."

They may not agree with what is truth. Many working for Google think they came from monkeys and that drinking milk does a body good. I think they believe homosexuality is a good thing.

So, will they base their truth upon Scripture? If not, I guess they have a good reason  to reduce our rankings?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: "Truth" According to Google
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 08:13:05 AM »
Yes Richard you had similar thoughts I had. Now that I've had a couple of days to think about it more I'm not sure how this would work in reality because science can't even agree on what is fact and what isn't. It seems that something new they discover in astronomy or biology changes their theorized "facts".
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}