Author Topic: Super Cookies: not so private browsing after all  (Read 4804 times)

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
Super Cookies: not so private browsing after all
« on: January 09, 2015, 07:31:15 AM »
story from CNN:

A software developer in London has discovered a string of code that can carry over from your regular session into private mode, rendering privacy mode somewhat useless.

For example, let's say you use a regular browser to shop on Amazon and use Facebook. Then you launch privacy mode to visit a website that deserves more discretion, like a controversial blog.

If that blog uses the same ad network as Amazon or includes a Facebook "like" button, the advertisers and Facebook now know "Joe the Amazon shopper" and "Joe the Facebook user" is also "Joe the controversial blog reader."
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Super Cookies: not so private browsing after all
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 08:46:50 AM »
Mozilla has issued a fix for the latest version of Firefox. But Google has opted to leave Chrome vulnerable. Google (GOOG) had known about the super cookie issue, but chose to keep Chrome's https-remembering function alive, choosing security over privacy.

And Microsoft's Internet Explorer isn't vulnerable to this, because it doesn't even have the https-remembering security feature built in.

This reminds me of something I recently saw on Google+. A facial recognition option on all photos of you on the web. Nice, huh? They actually ask if that is something you would like to do "for your friends."  ::)  As self-centered as most in the world are, this would be super appealing. Wow!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89