Author Topic: Purpose of The Remnant Online/Please Make First Post Here, Part 9  (Read 6666 times)

Robert V

Hello to my online Adventist family. This is my first time on any online forum so please have patience with me as I learn how to do this. I came across this site by using Google to ask a question I had been wondering about and found a very sound and biblical answer on this site. I thank God for leading me to you because my church has a very strong liberal bent and I needed like minded believers to fellowship with. God is so good. Just so everyone knows where I am coming from I would like to share a condensed version of my conversion story.

I grew up a very secular agnostic. I would not deny the existence of God but I lived like there was no God. In 1996 for the first time in my life I found myself living away from a big city. I was in southeast Alaska and surrounded by nature and I started wondering if there might be a God. I came across a book called Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and the reasoning he used I couldn't argue against. I went to a local church and got a Bible. I was working on a boat diving for sea urchins and I did not get along with my boss. We were going out one day and I didn't want to go so I prayed my first prayer. I asked God if He was real to give the boat engine problems so we would have to turn around and go back to the docks and if He did I would go home and read the Bible. Within minutes of that prayer we had engine problems and went back to the docks. I was floored but kept my promise and went home and started reading the Bible but not really understanding it. He answered more prayers in the following months.

Fast forward about 6 months. I was back in Anchorage around my old friends and promptly forgot about God. I was working in a liquor store and stealing money from the register. I had done this type of things for years with no guilt but now it was different. I felt guilty and wanted to stop but found I couldn't resist the temptation. My boss caught me and I was fired. I went home and felt horrible. I noticed my Bible (which I had pulled out a couple days before without knowing why I did because I wasn't reading it anymore) and I fell on my knees and wept and begged God to forgive me. I felt a peace come over me and knew God had answered my prayer. I gave myself to Him and was born from above.

Since I did not have a Christian background I didn't know what church to start attending. I knew there was only one truth but many churches and they couldn't all be teaching truth because they all taught different things. So I got on my knees and asked God to send me to a people that were teaching His truth. I knew there had to be such a people because I couldn't imagine God letting His word be lost. I started attending a non-denominational church to have fellowship. At my new job I had a co-worker named Tom. When he found out I was a Christian he told me he used to be one also. I used to ask him questions I had about the Bible. Tom was an SDA but never told me. One day I was reading Genesis and came across the Sabbath. I wondered why everyone kept Sunday since it clearly said the seventh day. I asked Tom about it and he smiled. He didn't answer my question but instead gave me a copy of The Great Controversy. I started reading it and couldn't put it down. I was reading it at church that week and another member asked me about it and I told him I didn't know who E. G. White was but he (in my male chauvenist mind I didn't think a women wrote it :) ) must have been inspired by God because the same Spirit I felt when I read the Bible I felt reading that book. I was convienced of Sister White as a prophet before I even knew who she was or even that she was a she ;D. A day later I was asking Tom more questions and he said he would loan me his Bible which had a Bible study course in the back but that he wanted it back when I was done with it.

This was on a Saturday night and I got off work at 2 a.m.  I figured I would look at the studies for a little while then head to bed since I had church in the morning. The Bible was a It Is Written study edition but I had no idea what It Is Written was. By 8 a.m. I had finished the studies and realized I had found the truth I was looking for. I wanted to get a copy of this Bible so I started calling the people that had contributed to the study guides and got a hold of one person. Actually it was her caregiver and she told me she didn't know where I could get a copy but told me It Is Written was a tv program put on by the Seventh Day Adventist church. I had some time before I was going to leave for church so I decided to watch a little tv. I turned to a Christian station and guess what was on? It Is Written with Mark Finley and he was talking about the protestant reformation which was where I was in the The Great Controversy. I realized God was leading in this and speaking to me. I looked up Seventh Day Adventist in the phone book but knew no one would be there since this was Sunday but saw they had an ABC bookstore at the conference office. It said they were closed on Sundays but were open on the first Sunday of each month and this was the first Sunday of March. I praised the Lord and decided to skip church and go to the ABC. I bought the whole Conflict of the Ages series (I now knew who Sister White was thanks to those Bible studies). I was asking the clerk all kinds of questions and he told me there just happened to be a pastors meeting upstairs and he would get one of them for me. God is so good. I met with the Pastor over the week and asked to be baptised that Sabbath. The first Sabbath I kept I was baptised into Jesus and the Seventh Day Adventist church.

A few years later I backslid and have just recently come back to Jesus. He is so patient and long suffering and He never gave up on me. I am still struggling to surrender fully to Him but I sit at His feet everyday and know His promise to give me repentance will be fulfilled. I am sorry this was so long and I even left a lot out of the story. I thank you for taking the time to read this and ask for your prayers that my hard heart will be broken and that I will surrender and be justified by His love and sacrifice.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
Re: Purpose of The Remnant Online/Please Make First Post Here, Part 9
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 03:49:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Robert. We are glad to have your here. I have been blessed by your testimony. You said you left out a lot of your story. We have a testimony forum here where we would love to hear whatever more of your story you would like to tell. Again, welcome.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 04:08:23 PM »
Amen!!  And, copy and paste what you have shared here, Robert. Then, continue adding in what you like.

Your experience is similar to mine. God is so very good! He is leading and teaching you, dear brother. Keep your eyes upon Jesus and stay in His Word. God sends teachers, but He expects us to know the truth from our Bibles, not trusting in man, but in Jesus.

Good to see your post here. We look forward to your participation. Again, welcome!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of His Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• Assistant Administrator
  • www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 05:38:36 PM »
Oh Wow!

I praised the Lord and decided to skip church and go to the ABC. I bought the whole Conflict of the Ages series (I now knew who Sister White was thanks to those Bible studies). I was asking the clerk all kinds of questions and he told me there just happened to be a pastors meeting upstairs and he would get one of them for me. God is so good. I met with the Pastor over the week and asked to be baptised that Sabbath. The first Sabbath I kept I was baptised into Jesus and the Seventh Day Adventist church.

What a blessing and yes, He was absolutely leading you. The Conflict series is tremendous. It is like a Bible commentary. Your testimony is beautiful. We are so happy to have you. Bless you and if there is anything you need, just let us know!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 05:26:13 PM »
Robert, thank you for sharing your testimony. What a great loving and long suffering God we serve. We look forward to learning more about Christ with you. Again thanks for sharing such an encouraging testimony.

Psa 145:8  The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.
Psa 145:9  The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Kaniela

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 03:12:07 PM »
Wow Robert what a great testimony, you are living proof of how God can call people out from the world with no religious background and how He knows each one of our hearts that he will provide a way for us to come to him.   :D

Kaniela

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 03:35:39 PM »

I suppose this is where I should have made my first post, giving a little history of myself. Some of you may know that I have already been replying to some of the topics. Sorry about that, I didn't mean to break protocol.
My name is Daniel. I usually go by Danny. I'm using the name Kaniela on this site which is Daniel in the Hawaiian language. I am the youngest of six siblings. I grew up in the church till about seven years old till my parents were divorced. Church, sabbath school, and Bible study had put such an impression on me about God at that young age, that I would be in and out of the church till I got married, even though no one else in my family was not in the church. At times The Lord would call me to attend church on my own at ages nine, twelve, and sixteen. At sixteen their was an evangelist by the name of Ron Spears, who conducted a series of meetings. He had so impressed me, this man who had been stricken with polio, but could recite the Bible from memory, that I had invited my mother to attend the meetings. She in turn brought one of my sisters to the meetings, in which started the slow process of bringing my family once again back to the church. I praise God that my father came back to the fold and gave his heart back to Christ before he passed away. I will expect to see him in the clouds on that great day of hope.
I shared with sister Marie ( sister Glass ) how I'm praying for my eldest daughter who was raised in the church, for her and her children to return to church.
Although I've been in the church since I was married, I've been sleeping in the pews. The Lord has woken me up these last few years to seriously prepare for the return of our Lord and not to be just playing church.
This is how I have found this website in search to connect with Gods remnant in cyber space, hoping to uplift and to be lifted. To which it appears I have found like minded people. Isaiah 8:28 " if they speak not according to this word, there is no light in them".
MARANATHA !   :D

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 03:56:52 PM »
Welcome to TRO, Kaniela. Please know that you haven't broken any protocols. We like for members to jump in and reply to topics and start them when they have a question or something to share.  Thank you for explaining that Kaniela is actually a man's name. To my untrained ears in Hawaiian years, it looked like a female name. You've saved me from embarrassing myself in the event I referred to you in the wrong gender.

I am another parent who is also praying for the return of a daughter. God will hear our prayers and He will answer them for He has promised to save our children.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 05:05:41 PM »
Keniela, I would say welcome but you've already dove right into our topics and we appreciate it. As Linda said don't worry about breaking protocols it's good that you are here. Let's learn from each other press together as time is drawing to a close.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 05:20:29 AM »
Amen! Welcome, our brother!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 08:16:05 AM »
Welcome, Brother Daniel!  God has been working in our lives in many ways for many years. Thank you for sharing some of your testimony to His working in your life and that of your family. It will encourage others who read it. We so much appreciate you sharing also that God is leading His true children to find others who want to know and live the truth as it is in Jesus. Fellowship with like believers is so sweet. While we can disagree on some things, the Spirit of God indwells our hearts in such a way that His love binds us together as we study to come into unity of doctrine.

God has a people who love Him and keep His commandments. Some do not keep the fourth commandment, but they love him and walk in all of the light they have. They will soon join with us as the end is nearing. Let us press together that the world will know that there is a God in heaven who has poured out His Spirit upon His church.

Again, welcome dear brother to our online family!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of His Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Navigator

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 06:21:08 AM »

It is a great joy to know that we have the remnant working so hard to go home. I thank God that I am counted among these great people who are fearfully and wonderfully made. As a Seventh-Day Adventist, I strongly hope in the soon coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus the Christ. As our church leaders meet to plan for the church, let us all PRAY for outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
Oh-Yes indeed there are wolves who are in sheep clothing among us. I pray that the Holy Spirit change them...

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 04:54:03 PM »
Amen, dear friend!  At San Antonio and around the world our brothers and sisters are praying that the leaders of His church will be led by the Holy Spirit in harmony with His Word.

Welcome to our online family!! We look forward to getting to know you. Pick a topic and share your thoughts!

sdajeff

• Regular Membership
  • The storm is brewing
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 11:37:09 AM »
Hello to all my brothers and sisters in Christ. Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.
I have been a member of the Seventh day Adventist church for 30 years. I was raised in the catholic church, and went to catholic school , was an altar boy, along with all the ritualistic things that young catholic boys did. Even while a young catholic boy my interest was always in the word of God. I started reading the bible when I was about 7-8 years old. I have always loved the book of Daniel and have probably read it 500 times in my lifetime. Many people think that when the vatican, or the pope are referred to as something bad that the whole church is being tied into the discussion. Being raised catholic I learned many great Christian principles, the main one being reverence and awe for God,  something that is greatly lacking throughout Christianity today. As I learned about who the pope is, and what I was suppose to think about him I started to wonder how this man of splendor could be even close to Jesus in character. This caused me to investigate the idea of beneficence and the use of God's means. Even when I was young I calculated how many catholics there are on earth, and how much money in offerings they gave weekly. With 1 billion catholics on earth if they all gave 10 cents what a phenomenal income that church receives just in offerings every week. I decided that if they can hord that kind of money there would, or should not be anybody starving on the planet. . .

My excitement over the book of Daniel caused me to pray fervently that God would reveal to me the meaning of all the signs and symbols which intrigued me. After years of searching every denomination just to end up with my back against the brick wall of, what I call, denominational traditional doctrines, the Lord led me to the SDA denomination. What a great blessing that was. I thank God that He has given me a great thirst for knowledge, and leading me to Sister White opened up an endless source of truth.

I weep for God's church today, as we head into the shaking time which will separate the wheat from the tares, and purify His church for the great multitude to be brought in through the work of the 144,000. God will create a purified church for those who do not accept the mark of the beast to come in to.

May the Lord bless this site and all those who are receiving the dew and the sprinkling of the latter rain, as we prepare for the showers to come.
MARANATHA
God bless you
Jeff

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 09:35:18 AM »
Welcome, Jeff. We are glad to have you here. Thank you for your testimony.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 05:34:25 PM »
Hey Jeff, glad to have you join us. I was going to tell you to jump into a topic but it looks like you've already done that. Looking forward to learning together.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 07:14:26 AM »
Amen, Jeff.  As we contemplate the life of Christ we shall then want to talk about Him. He is indeed the answer to all of our trials. We look forward to you adding to this discussion of His love and power.

Keithstrong

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 07:45:21 AM »
This is my first post and i am thankful that i was shown this wonderful website. I hope to know you all better and i will most likely have a few :-\ questions about a myriad of different topics :) I am only about 7 years in the S.D.A church but truly understanding the message of only about 1.3 years. I am glad to be a member of the church i am currently attending and now i know that God has led me here for a reason, and that reason was to find TRUTH. I have 3 kids; 2 girls and one boy and a wonderful wife. We love the Lord and are understanding of his tarrying because he wishes that none should parish and we would love to be co-laborers with him in his final work! Thanks for allowing me to be apart of this group:) and to learn as much as possible...
"Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and show My people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins"

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 09:38:38 AM »
Well Keith it is good to have you join us. Ask all the questions you wish as that is how we learn. We may or may not know all the answers but we can study together and learn as we all are learning at the feet of Jesus like Mary. Find a topic and join in.

Keithstrong

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »
Thanks JimB I thank you for your response  ;D I see so many interesting topics and am reading but with kids and summer in full effect there is not enough hours in the day to enjoy all the topics:)
"Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and show My people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins"