Author Topic: Spring Garden Time?  (Read 25668 times)

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Spring Garden Time?
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2019, 04:51:52 PM »
Yeah, here in Maine they call it "poor man's fertilizer."  Well, we had 4" yesterday, and another 3" this evening (in about an hour and a half).  And you can't plow the driveway during mud season.  Winter started a month early, and is slow to depart.  We're tired of it, to say the least.  If this is "global warming" I don't want to witness the next ice age.  ::)

My garden still has more than a foot of snow on it.  :(
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2019, 11:51:45 AM »
Would either of you be interested in selling me a little bit of your fertilizer?  Have been looking for a non animal, non chemical fertilizer. :)    Rain let up and the sun has dried out the soil. Soil temps should be in the 50s anytime. Have seeds germinated and plants growing in pots outdoors.

[/center]
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2019, 02:09:05 PM »
Sell it? It's free for the taking any time. Your seedlings are about the same size as mine but I know your's will take off and pass mine. Heat makes a big difference. What tomato varieties did you plant this year Richard?
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2019, 03:50:33 PM »
Sungold cherry, Rutgers, Early Girl, Better Boy, Beefsteak, German Johnson, Big Rainbow, Pruden's Purple, Mortgage Lifter.

How about you, what variety of tomatoes did you start?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2019, 03:55:49 PM »
Sungold cherry, Rutgers, Early Girl, Better Boy, Beefsteak, German Johnson, Big Rainbow, Pruden's Purple, Mortgage Lifter.

How about you, what variety of tomatoes did you start?
Bloody Butcher (I know not the nicest name), Belii Naliv, Sasha Altai, Moskvich, Honey Drop, Fireworks, Black Cherry, Bush Beefsteak, Sweetie, Illini Star, Eva Purple, Roma, Paul Robeson, Big Beef, Cosmonaut Volkov, Amish Paste, Amy's Sugar Gem, Mrs. Maxwell's Big Italian, Super Marmande, Ace 55, and Black Krim. Ha! Are you sorry you asked? These are the ones our customers like and we do too.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2019, 04:50:40 PM »
Honey Drop is fast becoming my favorite cherry tomato.  It rivals Sungold.  With 8" of snow this week it's hard to imagine growing tomatoes any time soon, but, theoretically, in about 6 weeks, we should be able to plant them.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Dorine

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2019, 04:58:32 PM »
I forgot one. Sweetie. Honey Drop, Sweetie and Black Cherry are our biggest sellers. Our planting time will not happen for another 8 or 9 weeks. We can still have frost in June.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2019, 03:28:00 AM »
We can still have frost in June.

What a depressing thought.  :(  In the 30+ years I've lived here, I've had one light frost  in June and it didn't damage anything.  But we spent a weekend in northern New Hampshire (in the middle of June) some years ago, and the place we were staying had a heavy frost.  The owner of the place said he had to bring  his tomatoes in every night until July to avoid losing them.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2019, 01:19:36 PM »
Gardening is such a blessing. So many lessons to learn, many spiritual. Some are hard and still at a loss to better understand. Was gone for five days. When I returned, I was looking forward to seeing how my seedlings were doing. They are my babies and still need my care. Most precious are my kale plants.

They had germinated a few weeks ago and were looking good when I left. Now, something ate them down to the stems. the leaves are gone. :(   I blamed the sweet deer, but on second thought, my tomato plants were untouched. The deer love tomato plants. Not sure who ate them, but I am going to find out. Never had this happen before.   

We glory in our tribulation!

Dorine

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2019, 02:19:59 PM »
Oh Richard how disappointing. Do you have slugs or earwigs? They will make short work of tender juicy baby leaves. Is it too late to replant? Yes lots of lessons in gardening. The hard ones are the ones where you don't know what the lesson is. I like your attitude. That is the way we should think of every trial that comes to us.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2019, 06:05:07 AM »
I have not seen any evidence of slugs, but yes I have seen earwigs. "Quick work"?  I did not know the little guys could finish off a flat of kale so fast! Thanks for the info. I am on their trail and will put an end to their murderous intentions!

We live in the end time. Much evil is in the world. Last night my driveway alarm kept going off. I got up a number of times to see what was causing it to sound, but found nothing. This morning I found the sensor turned on its back so it would not detect movement. Not long ago, I had the diesel drained out of my truck. It holds 40 gallons. Not sure exactly how much was stolen then, but I now don't keep much in the tank. It looks like I am going to have to install a few more alarms.   It is a good thing that nothing happens that God does not allow. It must be getting pretty bad for those who do not have faith in God's love and care. More opportunity for us to point them to our God.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2020, 07:44:05 AM »
Have a favorite tree? Want to copy it. Try air propagating it.