Author Topic: Spring Garden Time?  (Read 25752 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Spring Garden Time?
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 08:22:44 AM »
It rained in California last week!!  God loves us!!!  Hopefully there are signs of spring in Maine and the Maritimes.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 04:48:26 PM »
It looks like we've finally turned a corner.  After below normal temperatures for virtually every day since the beginning of the year, there are no below normal temperatures forecast.  It was in the mid 60's today.  :)  "Mud Season" is in full swing; and it could be a long one, given how deep the frost is in the ground.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Dorine

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »
 ;D I have a big smile on my face today. I finally made it to my greenhouse thanks to my hubby shoveling a very narrow path. It zig zaged around snow drifts and still has about a foot of snow on the bottom but I could navagate that. Our temp's were in the 60's also. It felt so good. It was actually hot in the greenhouse. My garlic I planted in the greenhouse last fall is up about 2 1/2 inches along with my parsley. Snow is gone from our roof and almost gone from our front and back decks. It's shrinking but still so much everywhere.

Glad to hear about the much needed rain you got Richard. I hope it continues for you.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 07:23:30 PM »
Dorine,

Take the biggest container with an airtight lid, fill it with snow, take it in the house out of direct sunlight, let it melt, try watering one section of plants with it, the rumor is that the nitrogen content is higher from snow water kept in airtight container not left open to air.

Save a smaller container kept in the cool dark with airtight lid, as a burn remedy.   

It helped with minor burns around the farm as a kid, placebo or not I don't know.

I just used to make snowcream as a kid  ;D  .  ( these days, cesium / strontium 90 / other high flying junk in the clouds. )

Richard,
Glad you got some rain.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 10:35:03 PM »
Thanks Ed. It would be nice to get a little more before summer sets in.

We are smiling with both you Dorine and Wally. Its been a long cold winter for you both. It must be nice to see new life in the greenhouse.  A reminder of the New Earth that  Jesus will prepare for us!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 06:10:06 AM »
Ed thanks for the tip. Never heard of that one before. I shall give it a try. Nothing to lose. I depend a lot on seaweed and sea water also. I find it remarkable that no matter where you live God has a solution that can be found in that area. What works in my area may not be available in other areas and vice versa but God has provided for each area. I hear about the wonders of clay (if mixed with other soil). We don't have a bit of it but we do have available things that those with clay don't have.

Yes Richard, my heart is singing with the birds. It's been a long hard two and half months. Up until the end of January it was balmy and beautiful here. Did we pay for that!! But that's behind us now. Such spiritual lessons to be found.

I just looked out the wondow to see a robin hopping over the crust of the snow desperately looking for something to eat. Any suggestions for what we could put out for it? All the holly berries have been eaten.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Mark W

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 10:01:25 PM »
Thought I would post here. I have to admit this has been the roughest spring for gardening I can remember. I have yet to get everything planted that I wanted. Seems like mother nature is throwing extremes at us more then in the past and just have to consider it signs of the times. I know Richard and many others are are battling drought conditions while I am battling moisture in extreme. had 19 inches of rain in May and over 9 inches so far this month. With so much rain, disease is running ramped and very hard to keep ahead of. So needless to say, everything is way behind or not even planted. It looks like we all are going to have to adapt and modify our planting practices a bit maybe to compensate for the more unpredictable weather pattern some of us see. I praise God for what I do have in and that it is still hanging in there, but I think more prayer even for our gardens would not hurt. Indeed when it says we will have to depend totally upon God, I see it as  even maybe pertaining to our gardens. We just have to do all that we can and put them in Gods hands. I hope some are on the fringes of the abnormal weather and having a great season.  God is still good no matter what.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2015, 10:32:53 PM »
Amen, Mark. I  am indeed praying more for my garden. I did not turn to God last year when the blight hit. What a fault!  Now, I know my need of my Savior  in my garden. Without His direct involvement, I know Satan will destroy just to inflict suffering and to ruin the  witness of what God wants to reveal. I am sorry that the weather is so terrible in your country. I have not said much about the chem trails because there is so much conspiracy involved in the discussion. But, it appears that it is a "secret" program that involves the weather. Not sure exactly, but there is no question that the government is spraying chemicals into the atmosphere. Unlike contrails, these do not dissipate, but spread out and cover the entire  sky. There is aluminum in the mixture and  it is ending up in the soil and water. And, it may be that it is having an effect on the production of rain east of California. I am not sure about that, but it could be. I listened to a reputable doctor explaining that the aluminum is very small, nano  size and is very dangerous as it enters the bloodstream and passes  through the blood brain barrier. The world has gone mad, just as prophesied. In California they are sending most of our water out to sea in order to save a few fish. In the meantime, orchards are dying and food is being taken out of production. Soon the lakes will be dry. The Calif. governor  will not build any new dams. Yet the water used to save the fish would not be there if not for the dams.

Will be praying for your  garden, dear brother. God hears our prayers and answers them in the very best way He can. We know that soon we shall  be on the move, away from our gardens and on the way to our celestial homes! 

Dorine

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 03:59:26 PM »
Mark I'm very sorry to hear of your gardening woes. Sounds like my experience last spring. God is blessing this year and everything that I've planted is growing great. One thing I've tried for the first time on my tomatoes and peppers is epson salts and what a difference we are seeing. Dark green leaves, strong stems and early blossoms. Have you had any experience with using epson salts?

Mark W

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 09:21:57 PM »
Yes Dorine, I use epson salt on all my tomatoes and peppers. Here in the midwest we sometimes use dolomite lime to not only raise the ph which we sometimes have a problem with, but add magnesium to the soil. I would imagine it would not be a good choice for you though, for I think you out west have to contend with alkaline soil. indeed the magnesium does wonders if the soil is lacking it. Great to hear as well that God is blessing your efforts.   

Dorine

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2015, 10:03:48 PM »
I'm glad to hear that Mark because I've heard conflicting reports of the benefits of epson salts. But now that I've seen the huge difference in my plants this year I am hooked. I am on the east coast of Canada and our soils are very acid. The other thing I want to try is diluted sea water. We are within walking distance from the sea but have never tried it. Apparently it has every mineral the soil needs.

I am praying for your situation. I remember the helpless feeling I had last year. God knows our needs. We didn't go hungry for the grocery stores are still full of food. When times get really tough our bread and water is promised. Sometimes I think my disappointments come because "I" want to be in charge and I expect "my" hard work should pay off.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2015, 06:12:37 PM »
Dorine, you have caught my attention. I suppose I could go google it but I'm curious about your experience. The when's & hows and how muches? Can you share?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mark W

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »
Dorine, must say the salt water thing doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Anytime someone advises adding salt to.a garden, I would beware. Not saying a garden might like the trace minerals in the water, but sodium is not a mineral I would want. I would imagine kelp tea would be a much better product to use for trace minerals. If my memory is correct, kelp has something like 60 different minerals. And if using fresh kelp, it should be rinsed to was off the salt water. Just my thoughts.

Dorine

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2015, 06:23:47 AM »
Jim I use 1 tsp. Epsom Salts to 4 cups water. I have a five gallon bucket that I fill with the solution and water the plants as they need it. I also sprinkle a tablespoonful or so in with the soil at planting time. Once I see them responding I use plain water for a few days. There's no hard and fast rule I've been following. They say you can spray the whole plant and the leaves take it in but I don't do that because where I am it tends to be damp and I try to keep the leaves as dry as possible. It also leaves white residue on the leaves from the salts.

Dorine

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2015, 08:40:25 AM »
Mark I thought you might be interested in viewing this video clip of Lynn Hoag an Adventist gentleman that shows how to plant the Ellen White method. The part that pertains to the subject of sea water is about half way through. Scroll down until you come to the video of "Learn How to Grow Healing Food" He doesn't give the dilution but I read elsewhere that the ratio is 1:9.

http://www.suncountrygardens.com/

Let me know what you think. I was buying Sea Boost which is a liquid seaweed but I can not afford that anymore. Because of my bad back I can not gather seaweed from the shore anymore. This method is free and easy to get.

Mark W

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2015, 09:08:24 AM »
Well Dorine, that is the first I have ever heard about it. Still think I will pass, for I believe kelp would do the same. But I understand the cost issue! So I would say at least try it on part of the garden anyway. I can't afford the seaweed product you mention either, but can go to my local feed store and buy kelp meal in the 50lb bag for under a $1 a pound and it is food grade so I can eat it too. (Use it to substitute fish sauce in oriental cooking) As well, the next best thing to liquid kelp is liquid comfrey. The mineral content is just about as high. Good luck.

Dorine

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2015, 02:35:30 PM »
Kelp is excellent. Your tomato plants show that you are doing something right. I will try some sea water and let you know. Like you said...maybe not on everything at once.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2016, 08:34:34 PM »
Can't believe I'm actually thinking of my garden already. I know what I'm doing for my main staples but also wanna try something new.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2016, 02:53:41 PM »
I am getting ready to plant peas, lettuce, broccoli, kale, and collards.   Our soil temps are into the 50s.

Dorine

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2019, 10:35:05 AM »
This is April right? We woke up to at least 6 inches of snow. They say it makes good fertilizer. I wonder if that is true these days. Has anyone started their gardens yet?