Author Topic: Spring Garden Time?  (Read 25666 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Spring Garden Time?
« on: January 01, 2015, 01:06:29 PM »
It may not seem like time to begin working on a spring garden, not with the cold winter blasting across much of the world, the southern hemisphere excluded, but if we want to get a jump on summer harvest, we need to start seeds sometime prior to the warm weather. If you have not purchased seeds, then it is time to do so.  After losing most of my tomatoes last summer, I am not as zealous this year.
But, I will not let that failure deter me from learning what I can do to prevent the blight next year.  Marijuana laws have been passed that may cure the problem. It appears that they spread blight.  :(

Has anyone started seeds yet?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
Re: Spring Garden Time?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 01:31:50 AM »
Pick a place nightshades have never grown.   In those future rows till under sulfur for fungicide and bio-char & wood ashes and various rock dusts and enough lime flour or calcium chloride to restore the ph appropriately.   

Sow hairy vetch and winter rye down a patch covering the area for the row or rows for green manure for the future tomato row or rows, mow and till under 6-8 weeks before planting tomatoes.

Put watering "Tee" tape or soaker hoses just under the dirt to water without splashing soil on the tomatoes, once up.

Pick varieties with most blight resistance, only plant plumpest healthiest seeds.

In the prepared row of good growing medium grow regular tomatoes with maxifort just 2-3 inches away from each regular tomato plant.   

Try growing maxifort tomatoes as rootstock to graft onto.  Very vigorous rootstock but lousy tomatoes. 

Grow good tomatoes in one row, a few inches away grow a matching row of maxifort, and lean the maxifort plants over and top them and "Tee" graft them into the side of each stalk of the good tomatoes .  Sucker prune all maxifort growth once the grafts take.

Once the tomatoes are well up sow non gmo soybeans and short clover between the rows to fix extra nitrogen.

Put in a small bee hive 20 feet away from the garden.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 07:36:56 AM »
Has anyone started seeds yet?

The thought didn't even cross my mind until now. :)  I'm thinking however that it might be just tad bit too soon for my neck of the woods with a last frost date of late may. However, it is good to start thinking about it as I want to expand my garden this year but don't have a real good area do it.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »

The forecast here is for 5-8 inches of snow for tomorrow and sub zero temps. Given the wind in this part of the country that is alot of snow. It is only by faith that I can think about Spring gardening.  :)
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 10:22:40 AM »
Yes, it is not time to plant and too early for most to start seeds, but Ed has the right idea, there are some things to do, and Jim knows that it is time to start planning. And, buying seeds now is better than later when you need them and will have to wait for delivery or find the variety you want are sold out. I put Christmas lights on my citrus yesterday. We had a freeze before I went to bed. :(
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 05:05:17 AM »
I saved seeds from two great varieties of heirloom tomatoes last year and will begin yet another attempt to grow them. It may not be so much that they cannot be grown here, but the problem may be lack of faith in my ability to provide for them so that they can maintain life.  ;) After so many attempts, my confidence has flown out the window. I need to muster up some of that dogged determination that was so bountiful in my youth and forge on believing it can be done. The Lord knows of my desire to grow them, to say nothing of the need.

Before the soil is gathered and the nursery is set up, I will bow before the Creator of these precious gems and ask for the help of heaven as never before. He knows what is lacking.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 07:04:26 AM »
 if you had tomatoes to save seeds from, you did better than I did. :(

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 08:36:09 AM »
 :( It was a sad year, indeed.

The seeds are from my steady and sure neighbor who has a full-fledged hot house.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 09:50:48 PM »
Got your lights, heater, soil, and seeds ready to go? Almost time for some of us!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »
Moved greenhouse posts to Greenhouse Construction topic.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 10:17:59 AM »
Spring is sneaking upon us!!

Sadly, these blossoms will get knocked off in the storm that is approaching even now. There is a lesson there for us. Can we hear the trumpets blowing? The wise will discern the signs of the times and will not be separated from their God. The fruit of His Spirit will remain intact in all whose hearts are knitted with His.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 02:44:09 PM »
Spring is sneaking upon us!!

"Us?"  Speak for yourself, oh denizen of the "tropics."  ;D  It was -7° this morning at my house, and -20° in spots along the way to work.  The temperature skyrocketed to a balmy 17° this afternoon.  We're 3' deep in snow and the long range forecast is for more of the same--all as a result of global warming, of course.  ::)  Wish I could transfer some of this snow to the Sierra Nevada.  You need it more than we do.

But I do remember the "good old days" as a kid in Calif., when the Acacias started blooming in mid-February.  If we're lucky, a few crocuses or snowdrops may bloom before the middle of March, but not every year.

No winter in heaven.  :)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 07:42:10 PM »

The Sun crossed the celestial equator yesterday, at 6:45 pm, Wally's time.  Spring came!!   :)       Are you enjoying spring, Wally?     

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 03:28:34 AM »
Current temperature:  12°; winds, ca. 20 mph.  High of 19° forecast, with single digits tonight.  That's not spring; it's mid-winter!  But, that's what we should expect with "global warming," right?  ::)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Vicki

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 09:52:24 AM »
Wish I could transfer some of this snow to the Sierra Nevada. 

Our teenage son handed me his beloved snowshoes mid-February, stating, "Might as well pack these away, winter's over." He would have enjoyed your wishful thinking gift.

We haven't had night time temps below freezing for awhile, and days have been in the 50's to 70's for a long time. I think I will plant some carrots and see how they do.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 10:09:36 AM »
Vicki, sounds like you could plant tomatoes! 

Current temperature:  12°; winds, ca. 20 mph.  High of 19° forecast, with single digits tonight.  That's not spring; it's mid-winter!  But, that's what we should expect with "global warming," right?  ::)

"Moonbeam" got exercised over Cruz's statement that global warming is not manmade.  Cruz has "rendered himself absolutely unfit to be running for office" by insisting that humans aren't to blame for global warming. Wally, you have also rendered yourself unfit for public office, especially president. In California we are way ahead of the curve thanks to the gov. He is moving forward with carbon taxes leading to higher prices for fuel, electricity, food, water, houses, cars, medical care, clothing, bicycles, forks, spoons, just about every  thing that needs to be manufactured and transported. I imagine the wealthy such as Al Gore will do well, but the middle class is in danger of extinction. Maybe the  federal government can put us on the  endangered species list.

We can still grow our food with a hoe, rake, and rain water!!  If we are using heirloom seeds!  :)

Vicki

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 10:19:18 AM »
I'm not willing to chance a frost with tomatoes. I do need to get some starter plants going inside, though. We just got back from the hardware store with rabbit wire to finish enclosing the property. I thought I'd take a break on here to mentally prepare myself for the task. I forgot all about looking at starter kits while at the store, even though we passed rows of seed packets. Guess we'll have to go back later today.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 10:39:15 AM »

"Moonbeam" got exercised over Cruz's statement that global warming is not manmade. )

So they still call him "Governor Moonbeam"?  That's what they called him during his first term back in the 70's, but I thought he had matured a bit.  Wishful thinking?  He and Al Gore would make a nice pair.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 12:25:01 PM »
I'm not willing to chance a frost with tomatoes.

I put some out and if they freeze, so what. We just plant some more.  With the heirlooms, we have plenty of seed. And, even buying hybrid, we have enough to plant some and risk the loss. The seed packets are giving fewer seeds.  :(

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 12:35:19 PM »

"Moonbeam" got exercised over Cruz's statement that global warming is not manmade. )

So they still call him "Governor Moonbeam"?  That's what they called him during his first term back in the 70's, but I thought he had matured a bit.  Wishful thinking?  He and Al Gore would make a nice pair.

I did not mean to disparage Gov. Brown. I thought that all knew him by his nickname. Yes, it appears that birds of a feather do flock together. "Matured"?  Well....here is a little info that might shed light on this. Some think that he is on a "crusade". Would that align him with Islam and Obama? source

Don't want to get offtopic. We need to know if we need to burn more fossil fuels to warm things up across most of the U.S. Right now, gardening looks bleak in most of the country. As Wally revealed, there is no spring in Maine and even the poor birds are confused. If the price of energy is going up with the actions of the Democrats, then we will need warmer weather to grow our food.