Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 13-Third Quarter 2014-The Second Coming of Jesus  (Read 15055 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 13-Third Quarter 2014-The Second Coming of Jesus
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 11:39:57 AM »
What message was given to God's church in 1888? Why has it not caused the end to come?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 12:40:01 PM »
What message was given to God's church in 1888?

The righteousness of Christ and an appeal to accept it through faith.

Why has it not caused the end to come?

Because we are a stiffnecked people and rejected it.

That question came out of the blue. What is on your mind, Richard?
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 06:53:33 AM »
What does the matchless love of Jesus have to do with 1888 and our Sabbath School lesson?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 07:13:44 AM »

re-  fanatics

It is interesting how many worldly people in the church will on one hand call the consecrated "fanatics" and on the other hand say " I'm  a fan of the Broncos" or "I'm a Star Wars fan ."

I guess it depends on who or what one is a fan of  and how you define it?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 11:07:32 AM »
Good point, cp.  The world lives along the banks of that river in Egypt.  They create euphemisms for "inconvenient truths."  They call cute baby calves "veal," so they won't feel bad about eating them.  Graceful deer are called "venison."  They don't use euphemisms for moose meat because, let's face it; moose are not exactly "cute."

I wonder what the reaction would be if, when a professed Christian made reference to being a baseball fan, football fan, etc., someone would respond with, "I'm a fan of the kingdom of God; it remains undefeated."  :)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »
Yah, and though snails are not cute or graceful they are gross when it comes to lunch, therefore "escargot". I think when the Spanish man invented that word he saw snails being prepared  in the restaurant and was trying to say something like " let's head for the car and get out of here.  :)

And then there is "Huitlacoche" but at least nothing has to die accept some fungus and perhaps the eater over time. Now you can even get GMO smut.  ;D
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 12:33:48 PM »
What does the matchless love of Jesus have to do with 1888 and our Sabbath School lesson?
I'm not sure what you are looking for here Richard. But what comes mind for me is that Righteousness by Faith shows Jesus matchless love for us and His coming to take us home (what the lesson is about) shows His matchless love for us in the end. The one gave us hope to get through and the other is the great hope at the end. Both show Gods tremendous love for us and how He gives us hope along the way.
With Christian Love,
Marie

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 03:56:20 PM »
Yah, and though snails are not cute or graceful they are gross when it comes to lunch, therefore "escargot". I think when the Spanish man invented that word he saw snails being prepared  in the restaurant and was trying to say something like " let's head for the car and get out of here.  :)

And then there is "Huitlacoche" but at least nothing has to die accept some fungus and perhaps the eater over time. Now you can even get GMO smut.  ;D

But Monseiur Colporteur, "escargot" is zee French word for "snail," and sounds much more gourmet than "snail," n'est-ce pas?  Bon appetit!
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 04:09:36 PM »

I thought Richard asked a serious question ...

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 09:05:58 PM »
I'm not sure what you are looking for here Richard. But what comes mind for me is that Righteousness by Faith shows Jesus matchless love for us and His coming to take us home (what the lesson is about) shows His matchless love for us in the end. The one gave us hope to get through and the other is the great hope at the end. Both show Gods tremendous love for us and how He gives us hope along the way.

Amen, Sister Glass.  The lesson asked "when will Jesus come?"  I ask, "why did Jesus not come before 1888? And why did He not come after 1888?" The message in 1888 was designed to prepare a people for the second coming of Jesus, but it did not work. Revival and reformation did not and has not come. So, when will Jesus come? What is He waiting for? Sadly, the lesson did not cover this very well.

The 1888 message can be summed up as "the loveliness of Jesus".  Sister Glass brought into our discussion "righteousness by faith".  The loveliness of Jesus is certainly a revelation of righteousness, is it not?  How many understand this?  Why would the loveliness of Jesus prepare a people to meet Jesus? One last thought. Righteousness by faith is the same as justification by faith. Do we understand why the two are the same? Now....someone tie this in with the discussion we were having regarding today's lesson. When will Jesus come and what must I do to be ready? 

Have a blessed Sabbath dear brothers and sisters around the world. Pray for our fellow Christians in the Middle East. And, pray for the faithful Muslims who are also being persecuted by the butchers in Syria and Iraq. And, yes pray for our enemies as well. Who knows but that they might be transformed as they witness Jesus in those who they maim and butcher.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 10:52:25 PM »
Righteousness by faith is the same as justification by faith. Do we understand why the two are the same? Now....someone tie this in with the discussion we were having regarding today's lesson. When will Jesus come and what must I do to be ready? 

I need a little help on this. I understand justification by faith to happen at the beginning of ones walk with Jesus when He forgives all their sins and takes them in through baptism. Wouldn't Jesus Righteousness as in Righteousness by faith be with us through our who life with Him? Yes, we must obey, but it is still and always is, His Righteousness that saves us right up to the end. Our best, on our own, would never make it. It has to be "All" Jesus. This is how I have understood it.
With Christian Love,
Marie

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2014, 05:53:48 AM »
When will Jesus come and what must I do to be ready?

A simple answer is to be like Him!

According the following the verses we will be like Him when Christ returns. I think of children who have parents that don't point them to Christ. They automatically find someone to worship and imitate. Often times they find this person to worship on TV. They will often dress like them, talk like them, and act like them and sometimes even imitate the hero's mannerisms. However, as Christians our hero is Christ and when He returns He will find a group of like Him.

1Jn 3:2  Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

1Jn 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2014, 06:14:54 AM »
Righteousness (justification) by Faith

And what is it to believe? It is to fully accept that Jesus Christ died as our sacrifice; that He became the curse for us, took our sins upon Himself, and imputed unto us His own righteousness. Therefore we claim this righteousness of Christ, we believe it, and it is our righteousness. He is our Saviour. He saves us because He said He would. Are we going to go into all the explanations as to how He can save us? Do we have the goodness in ourselves that will make us better and cleanse us from the spots and stains of sin, enabling us then to come to God? We simply cannot do it.  {FW 70.2} 
     Don't you know that when the young man came to Christ and asked Him what he should do that he might have life, Christ told him to keep the commandments. Said he, "I have done it." Now the Lord wanted to bring this lesson right home. "What lack I yet? I am perfectly whole" (Matthew 19:20). He did not see that there was a thing the matter with him or why he should not have eternal life. "I have done it," he said. Now Christ touches the plague spot of his heart. He says, "Come, follow Me, and ye shall have life."  {FW 70.3} 
     What did he do? He turned away very sorrowful, for he had great possessions.  {FW 70.4} 
     Now he had not kept the commandments at all. He should have accepted Jesus Christ as his Saviour and taken hold of His righteousness. Then, as he had the righteousness of Christ, he could keep the law of God. The young ruler could not trample that law under his feet. He must respect it; he must love it. Then Christ would bring divine power to combine with man's efforts.  {FW 70.5} 
     Christ took upon Himself humanity for us. He clothed His divinity, and divinity and humanity were combined. He showed that that law which Satan declared could not be kept, could be kept. Christ took humanity to stand here in our world, to show that Satan had lied. He took humanity upon Himself to demonstrate that with divinity and humanity combined, man could keep the law of Jehovah. Separate humanity from divinity, and you can try to work out your own righteousness from now till Christ comes, and it will be nothing but a failure.  {FW 71.1} 
     By living faith, by earnest prayer to God, and depending upon Jesus' merits, we are clothed with His righteousness, and we are saved. "Oh, yes," some say, "we are saved in doing nothing. In fact, I am saved. I need not keep the law of God. I am saved by the righteousness of Jesus Christ." Christ came to our world to bring all men back to allegiance to God. To take the position that you can break God's law, for Christ has done it all, is a position of death, for you are as verily a transgressor as anyone.  {FW 71.2} 
     Then what is it? It is to hear and to see that with the righteousness of Christ which you hold by faith, righteousness supplied by His efforts and His divine power, you can keep the commandments of God.  {FW 71.3}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 08:12:15 AM »
Amen, Mimi. This clearly reveals the righteousness of Christ is righteousness by faith. We are justified by the righteousness of Christ when we accept it . When we behold the loveliness of Jesus, the righteousness of Christ, and make a full surrender to Him, we are then in a converted state. We are then justified. That justification comes by faith in the righteousness of Christ. This all happens at the moment of justification, at conversion. We are to maintain that justification or conversion, in the same manner we obtained it at the beginning. To behold the matchless love of Jesus, is to drink His blood and eat His flesh. By beholding, we become changed in character then and there. The sanctification does not cease, but continues to grow as we maintain our connection with Christ. First the blade, then the ear. We are perfect at each stage. The heart is cleansed at the moment of conversion.

The only way we can be converted, is to behold the loveliness of Christ. This is justification by faith. In order to have this faith that brings forth a new life in Christ, we must know Him, we must trust Him with everything. We cannot trust someone we do not. We are justified in having eternal life, because we believe with all our heart that Jesus Christ suffered and died in our place. This is when we are converted, this is when we are justified. We have accepted the righteousness of Christ in place of our filthiness. We are then made new creatures in Christ Jesus.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2014, 08:47:22 AM »
Many in the church are not converted, many have never been converted. Because we love Jesus does not mean we are converted. We must love Him supremely. Most do not, they have been buried alive. This statement may help our understanding of the process of wooing that leads to a true conversion.

"A person may not be able to tell the exact time or place, or to trace all the circumstances in the process of conversion; but this does not prove him to be unconverted. By an agency as unseen as the wind, Christ is constantly working upon the heart. Little by little, perhaps unconsciously to the receiver, impressions are made that tend to draw the soul to Christ. These may be received through meditating upon Him, through reading the Scriptures, or through hearing the word from the living preacher. Suddenly, as the Spirit comes with more direct appeal, the soul gladly surrenders itself to Jesus. By many this is called sudden conversion; but it is the result of long wooing by the Spirit of God,--a patient, protracted process." The Desire of Ages, pg. 172.

Many who are in the church are in this wooing process, but have never given their hearts fully to Christ, therefore, they have not had their hearts cleansed from sin. They do not manifest all of the fruits of His Spirit, but rather, the works of the flesh are seen in the life.

Some have been converted, but are as the disciples prior to the cross. They wander in and out of conversion, not understanding they need Jesus all the time. Sadly, they do not understand what conversion is. They believe they may sin and retain their justification. But, sin reveals a separation between man and Christ. The only way we can have life is to have Christ enthroned upon the heart. "He that hath the Son hath life; [and] he that hath not the Son of God hath not life." 1 John 5:12.   "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness." Romans 8:9,10.

How many believe these truths? Few. Most cannot reconcile these verses with their present understanding of conversion. Here are a few more that do not fit with the current popular teaching on conversion. "Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.  That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.  Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." John 3:5-7. "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.  Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.  In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother." 1 John 3:7-10.   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2014, 09:00:50 AM »
Righteousness by faith is the same as justification by faith. Do we understand why the two are the same? Now....someone tie this in with the discussion we were having regarding today's lesson. When will Jesus come and what must I do to be ready? 

I need a little help on this. I understand justification by faith to happen at the beginning of ones walk with Jesus when He forgives all their sins and takes them in through baptism. Wouldn't Jesus Righteousness as in Righteousness by faith be with us through our whole life with Him? Yes, we must obey, but it is still and always is, His Righteousness that saves us right up to the end. Our best, on our own, would never make it. It has to be "All" Jesus. This is how I have understood it.

Good morning, dear Sister Glass.  Let me begin by sharing a statement made by
Allan from Norway in our topic on Justification by Faith. I have always believed justification by faith and righteousness by faith to mean the very same thing because we are justified when we are made righteous through faith in Christ. Both come at the same time. One cannot be justified in obtaining eternal life until by faith he is converted and cleansed from all sin, made righteous.

Before I go on I want to ask you americans, if you put into the expressions "righteousness by faith" and "justification by faith" the same meaning? In norwegian we only have one expression: "Rettferdiggjörelse ved tro". That means "to make (one) righteous by faith".    Allan F

That statement was posted 14 years ago. Marie, you may take a look at that thread. It may help explain the subject a little better. Have a blessed Sabbath, dear sister.