Author Topic: What Was Secured by the Death of Christ  (Read 6205 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
What Was Secured by the Death of Christ
« on: September 07, 2014, 07:15:10 AM »
Sometimes when you read an article you have to share the whole thing and not just part of it. I would love to discuss this article with anyone who wishes. There are so many things that stand out to me it would be easy to pick a thought from this article to discuss but I'll let you pick. Read the article and tell me what part most touched your soul and mind as you read it?

What Was Secured by the Death of Christ
Signs of the Times, December 30, 1889

It became Him for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in the redemption of the world to save sinners by the blood of the Lamb. The great sacrifice of the Son of God was neither too great nor too small to accomplish the work. In the wisdom of God it was complete; and the atonement made testifies to every son and daughter of Adam the immutability of God's law. The value of the law of Jehovah is to be estimated by the immense price that was paid in the death of the Son of God to maintain its sacredness.  {ST, December 30, 1889 par. 1} 

The law of God is a transcript of his character; it portrays the nature of God. As in Christ we behold the brightness of his glory, the express image of his person, so also in the law the attributes of the Father are unfolded. Although the law is unchangeable, his having provided a means of salvation for the law-breaker does not in the least detract from the dignity of the character of God, since the penalty of man's transgression was borne by a divine Substitute. The Father himself suffered with the Son; for "God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself." Man, with his human, finite judgment, cannot safely question the wisdom of God. Hence it is unbecoming for him to criticise the plan of salvation. Before the theme of redemption, let man lay his wisdom in the dust, and accept the plans of Him whose wisdom is infinite.  {ST, December 30, 1889 par. 2} 

God grants men a probation in this world, that their principles may become firmly established in the right, thus precluding the possibility of sin in the future life, and so assuring the happiness and security of all. Through the atonement of the Son of God alone could power be given to man to establish him in righteousness, and make him a fit subject for heaven. The blood of Christ is the eternal antidote for sin. The offensive character of sin is seen in what it cost the Son of God in humiliation, in suffering and death. All the worlds behold in him a living testimony to the malignity of sin, for in his divine form he bears the marks of the curse. He is in the midst of the throne as a Lamb that hath been slain. The redeemed will ever be vividly impressed with the hateful character of sin, as they behold Him who died for their transgressions. The preciousness of the Offering will be more fully realized as the blood-washed throng more fully comprehend how God has made a new and living way for the salvation of men, through the union of the human and the divine in Christ.  {ST, December 30, 1889 par. 3} 

The death of Christ upon the cross made sure the destruction of him who has the power of death, who was the originator of sin. When Satan is destroyed, there will be none to tempt to evil; the atonement will never need to be repeated; and there will be no danger of another rebellion in the universe of God. That which alone can effectually restrain from sin in this world of darkness, will prevent sin in heaven. The significance of the death of Christ will be seen by saints and angels. Fallen men could not have a home in the paradise of God without the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. Shall we not then exalt the cross of Christ? The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan. Angelic perfection failed in heaven. Human perfection failed in Eden, the paradise of bliss. All who wish for security in earth or heaven must look to the Lamb of God. The plan of salvation, making manifest the justice and love of God, provides an eternal safeguard against defection in unfallen worlds, as well as among those who shall be redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. Our only hope is perfect trust in the blood of Him who can save to the uttermost all that come unto God by Him. The death of Christ on the cross of Calvary is our only hope in this world, and it will be our theme in the world to come. Oh, we do not comprehend the value of the atonement! If we did, we would talk more about it. The gift of God in his beloved Son was the expression of an incomprehensible love. It was the utmost that God could do to preserve the honor of his law, and still save the transgressor. Why should man not study the theme of redemption? It is the greatest subject that can engage the human mind. If men would contemplate the love of Christ, displayed in the cross, their faith would be strengthened to appropriate the merits of his shed blood, and they would be cleansed and saved from sin. There are many who will be lost, because they depend on legal religion, or mere repentance for sin. But repentance for sin alone cannot work the salvation of any soul.

continued....
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
Re: What Was Secured by the Death of Christ
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:17:35 AM »
Man cannot be saved by his own works. Without Christ it is impossible for him to render perfect obedience to the law of God; and heaven can never be gained by an imperfect obedience; for this would place all heaven in jeopardy, and make possible a second rebellion.  {ST, December 30, 1889 par. 4} 
     God saves man through the blood of Christ alone, and man's belief in, and allegiance to, Christ is salvation. It is no marvel to angels that the infinite sacrifice made by the Son of God was ample enough to bring salvation to a fallen race, but that this atoning sacrifice should have been made is a wonder to the universe. It is a mystery which angels desire to look into. The angels are amazed at the indifference and coldness manifested by those for whom so great a salvation has been provided. They look with grief and holy indignation upon those who do not seek to appreciate the unspeakable gift of God. Instead of offering adoration to God, finite men think themselves capable, without divine unction, of determining what is worthy of praise or blame in their fellow-men. But to be glorified by man is no glory. We should learn to value the praise of man at what it is worth. The Lord says, "Them that honor me I will honor." Let every breath of praise, every word of exaltation, flow to him who is worthy, flow to Jesus, the Prince of life, the Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world. Elevate the cross of Christ. Elevate the Mediator. Lift up Jesus. In him is everything noble. Contemplate God in Christ. He is surrounded with angels, cherubim and seraphim continually behold him. Angelic voices day and night cry before him: "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.... Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power; for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing." "Great and marvelous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints. Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy; for all nations shall come and worship before thee." But although God only is holy and worthy to be praised, human tongues are perverted to praise and glorify man rather than God.  {ST, December 30, 1889 par. 5} 
     The greatest gift that God could bestow upon men was bestowed in the gift of his beloved Son. The apostle says, "He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?" There was nothing held in reserve. No second probation will ever be provided. If the unspeakable gift of God does not lead man to repentance, there is nothing that ever will move his heart. There is no power held in reserve to act upon his mind, and arouse his sensibilities. The whole character of God was revealed in his Son, the whole range of the possibilities of heaven is displayed for the acceptance of man in the Son of the Infinite One. The way for man's return to God and heaven has no barriers. The matchless depths of the Saviour's love have been demonstrated; and if this manifestation of God's love for the children of men does not prevail to draw men to himself, there is nothing that ever will.  {ST, December 30, 1889 par. 6} 
     Those who will be saved in the kingdom of God will be those who have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. The image of Christ will be perfected in every soul who accepts the gift of his grace, and those who are perfected through his grace, will stand before God equal in elevation, in power and purity, to the angels, and will be honored with them before the eternal throne. The angels of heaven will love those whom Christ has loved, and has bought with his own precious blood.  {ST, December 30, 1889 par. 7} 
     The attention of all the inhabitants of all worlds will be directed to the cross of Christ, around which will cluster the exceeding and eternal weight of glory. The imagination becomes exhausted in its stretch to comprehend the wonderful work of redemption. The plan of salvation is too high to be fully reached by human thought. It is too grand to be fully embraced by finite comprehension. The apostle says, "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." Can we wonder that Heaven is amazed because men act as though the gift of God were valueless? What will be the eternal loss of those who reject so great a salvation, offered freely through the merits of God's only-begotten and well-beloved Son!

-
End of Article.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »
The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan.

This thought really astounded me! It's kind of amazing to me that even the angel's need the cross to be secure in their salvation. Since the unfallen angels have no need of grace it never occured to me that they would still need the cross. Is it any wonder that we are counseled to spend a thoughtful hour each day reading about the closing scenes of Christ's life?

Cop

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 04:46:54 AM »
God grants men a probation in this world, that their principles may become firmly established in the right, thus precluding the possibility of sin in the future life, and so assuring the happiness and security of all.

The question is often asked, "Why am I here? Why am I alive?". Our all knowing LORD here gives us His answer. He bears with the sin of His Chosen so that they may be established in righteousness forevermore. 
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
ó Stonewall Jackson

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 11:37:33 AM »
Amen, cop. And, yes Jim, it is the love of God for His creation that keeps the universe safe. That love was demonstrated in a manner that all may understand and benefit from, even the unfallen worlds. We, above all people understand this. It is our duty to tell the world why bad things happen to "good" people.  While none are truly "good" except God, it was God that not only died, but suffered for us while we were yet sinners...that the whole universe would be blessed. Such a profound truth!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »
The death of Christ on the cross of Calvary is our only hope in this world, and it will be our theme in the world to come. Oh, we do not comprehend the value of the atonement! If we did, we would talk more about it. The gift of God in his beloved Son was the expression of an incomprehensible love. It was the utmost that God could do to preserve the honor of his law, and still save the transgressor. Why should man not study the theme of redemption? It is the greatest subject that can engage the human mind. If men would contemplate the love of Christ, displayed in the cross, their faith would be strengthened to appropriate the merits of his shed blood, and they would be cleansed and saved from sin.

The parts I put in bold that spoke to me especially from this section. Apparently I (we) don't comprehend the value of the atonement as we should. If we did we'd talk about it more. This reminds me of the warning in Revelation to the church of Ephesus that they had lost their first love. I think about when a couple gets engaged. What to do they speak of and how much do they speak about the other would-be spouse? All the time! And they are not embarrassed to express how much they love the other person to anyone and everyone who bend his or her in their direction.

The other part about cleansing and saving from sin. I think most would think that is just some kind of passive legal deceleration rather than an active promise of power to overcome sin that can lived out in our in lives and lived as a reality. Even in the small areas of our lives. Most of us are in awe in the power of God's love to stoop down and save the alcoholic, drug addict from their enslavement but as life goes on I think that a bigger show of God's love in our hearts is when through God's grace we overcome in the little things like our hasty temper or the temptation to over eat at the dinner table.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 10:02:29 AM »
The death of Christ on the cross of Calvary is our only hope in this world, and it will be our theme in the world to come. Oh, we do not comprehend the value of the atonement! If we did, we would talk more about it. The gift of God in his beloved Son was the expression of an incomprehensible love. It was the utmost that God could do to preserve the honor of his law, and still save the transgressor. Why should man not study the theme of redemption? It is the greatest subject that can engage the human mind. If men would contemplate the love of Christ, displayed in the cross, their faith would be strengthened to appropriate the merits of his shed blood, and they would be cleansed and saved from sin.

The parts I put in bold that spoke to me especially from this section. Apparently I (we) don't comprehend the value of the atonement as we should. If we did we'd talk about it more. This reminds me of the warning in Revelation to the church of Ephesus that they had lost their first love. I think about when a couple gets engaged. What to do they speak of and how much do they speak about the other would-be spouse? All the time! And they are not embarrassed to express how much they love the other person to anyone and everyone who bend his or her in their direction.

The other part about cleansing and saving from sin. I think most would think that is just some kind of passive legal deceleration rather than an active promise of power to overcome sin that can lived out in our in lives and lived as a reality. Even in the small areas of our lives. Most of us are in awe in the power of God's love to stoop down and save the alcoholic, drug addict from their enslavement but as life goes on I think that a bigger show of God's love in our hearts is when through God's grace we overcome in the little things like our hasty temper or the temptation to over eat at the dinner table.

Greg Goodchild

• http://
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 08:59:23 AM »
Another quotation to follow up on what you shared is in Desire of Ages 761:
"Satan saw that his disguise was torn away. His administration was laid open before the unfallen angels and before the heavenly universe. He had revealed himself as a murderer. By shedding the blood of the Son of God, he had uprooted himself from the sympathies of the heavenly beings. Henceforth his work was restricted. Whatever attitude he might assume, he could no longer await the angels as they came from the heavenly courts, and before them accuse Christ's brethren of being clothed with the garments of blackness and the defilement of sin. The last link of sympathy between Satan and the heavenly world was broken.

Yet Satan was not then destroyed. The angels did not even then understand all that was involved in the great controversy. The principles at stake were to be more fully revealed. And for the sake of man, Satan's existence must be continued. Man as well as angels must see the contrast between the Prince of light and the prince of darkness. He must choose whom he will serve."

It is amazing how deep rooted sin is in our thinking, and how great the efforts of God to help us see these issues and to ask His help in removing them.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 08:21:25 AM »
Amen, Jim and Greg. And the great love of God for his creatures and its power will be seen in that last group of humans living when Jesus returns.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »
 The Father himself suffered with the Son; for "God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself."

My poor dull head. I should know better by now but I often loose sight of the fact that the God the Fathered suffered also. Christ often said that He and His Father are one so it should not surprise me to read that the Father also suffered.

God saves man through the blood of Christ alone, and man's belief in, and allegiance to, Christ is salvation. It is no marvel to angels that the infinite sacrifice made by the Son of God was ample enough to bring salvation to a fallen race, but that this atoning sacrifice should have been made is a wonder to the universe. It is a mystery which angels desire to look into. The angels are amazed at the indifference and coldness manifested by those for whom so great a salvation has been provided. They look with grief and holy indignation upon those who do not seek to appreciate the unspeakable gift of God.

Since angles desire to study this theme then shouldn't we even more? I'm reminded of the counsel of Staupitz to Luther when Luther was suffering greatly under the burden of guilt and shame. He said "...look to the wounds of Christ."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 10:00:31 PM »
Amen!  Jim, is it more painful to suffer pain myself, or to watch my son suffer the same pain?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 01:32:51 PM »
Sometimes when you read an article you have to share the whole thing and not just part of it. I would love to discuss this article with anyone who wishes. There are so many things that stand out to me it would be easy to pick a thought from this article to discuss but I'll let you pick. Read the article and tell me what part most touched your soul and mind as you read it?

This impressed me, Jim:
God grants men a probation in this world, that their principles may become firmly established in the right, thus precluding the possibility of sin in the future life, and so assuring the happiness and security of all. Through the atonement of the Son of God alone could power be given to man to establish him in righteousness, and make him a fit subject for heaven. The blood of Christ is the eternal antidote for sin. The offensive character of sin is seen in what it cost the Son of God in humiliation, in suffering and death. All the worlds behold in him a living testimony to the malignity of sin, for in his divine form he bears the marks of the curse. He is in the midst of the throne as a Lamb that hath been slain. The redeemed will ever be vividly impressed with the hateful character of sin, as they behold Him who died for their transgressions. The preciousness of the Offering will be more fully realized as the blood-washed throng more fully comprehend how God has made a new and living way for the salvation of men, through the union of the human and the divine in Christ.

This moved me as I read: "The preciousness of the Offering will be more fully realized..."  By understanding that the sufferings of Jesus were willingly taken by Jesus, ought to endear us to Him. He was the innocent suffering for my sins. How precious is that!  It is grace.  We will "ever be vividly impressed with the hateful character of sin" as we behold Him who died for our transgressions. We are granted a period of time, probation, that we might understand this and be changed, converted.

With the suffering and death of Christ, prophecy was also seen to be true. John speaks of this. "But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs: But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water. And he that saw [it] bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe. For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken. And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced." John 19:33-37. The Passover was a prophecy of the death of Christ. Instructions were given in Numbers that not a bone was to be broken. "They shall leave none of it unto the morning, nor break any bone of it: according to all the ordinances of the passover they shall keep it." 9:12.  And Zechariah speaks of  Jesus being "pierced". "And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon Me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for Him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for Him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn." 12:10  Evidence was given that God foresees the future and has prophesied future events in Scripture. Jesus foretold how He would die and when He would come back to life. "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life."  John 2:19, 3:1415.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 06:00:26 PM »
Thanks Richard for bringing this up. This impresses upon my mind in fuller sense why in the end the universe will be forever secure against affliction ever arising again. Forever, we will be looking to Christ and we will see what it did to our Beloved. He had to be forever marked so we could be forever secured. We server a wonderful God!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 06:59:47 PM »
Amen!!

Yes, Jesus retains the marks of his suffering. When we, by God's grace, see the marks in His hands what shall we remember? And what does that have to do with sin never rising again? The answer is so very important, for most in this world have not a clue as to why Jesus allows bad things to happen to good people.  The "great controversy" between Christ and Satan is allowed to continue so that sin will never rise again.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 09:20:23 AM »
In my studies this morning, I came across another matter that is interesting. When Christ died, Satan's deceptions were unmasked. It was pointed out in the article that Satan's fate was made certain with the death of Christ. But, apparently he did not understand this at that point. He must seemed to think that he could keep Christ in the grave. Such foolishness!

When Jesus came forth from the grave, he then knew he had lost the battle against Christ and righteousness. He then understood he must die. How sad that he continues wreaking havoc and destruction, knowing he can gain nothing, but more punishment.

"When Jesus was laid in the grave, Satan triumphed. He dared to hope that the Saviour would not take up His life again. He claimed the Lordís body, and set his guard about the tomb, seeking to hold Christ a prisoner. He was bitterly angry when his angels fled at the approach of the heavenly messenger. When he saw Christ come forth in triumph, he knew that his kingdom would have an end, and that he must finally die." CSA 43.

Is it not amazing that not only sinful man, Pilot, the priests, and soldiers, but also Satan and his evil angels thought they had secured the tomb where Jesus lay so that He could not escape? Satan knew who Jesus was, why would he think that he could keep Jesus a prisoner? There is no greater sin than "unbelief".

colporteur

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »
Is it not amazing that not only sinful man, Pilot, the priests, and soldiers, but also Satan and his evil angels thought they had secured the tomb where Jesus lay so that He could not escape? Satan knew who Jesus was, why would he think that he could keep Jesus a prisoner? There is no greater sin than "unbelief".

Richard;

I think this is more indication of how desperate Satan was/ is. For good reason he believes that his case may be (is) hopeless. Desperation leads one to fantasize things that are not reasonable. For anyone who had any reasonable grasp on reality, after having been defeated continually, they would have thrown in the towel when Jesus triumphed in the wilderness temptations. However, Satan has become entirely insane.  He figures that he has nothing to lose by keeping up the fight. At the least he can hurt God, His people, and take many of His people from Him. And then in his own twisted way he holds out a glimmer of hope that someway somehow he might  keep everyone in sin and cause all to receive the mark of the beast or else die.

At the cross the universe was secure and an opportunity for salvation was secured for all of God's people. Had Jesus failed at the cross the result would have been an eternal nightmare for every living being.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 01:44:55 PM »
Amen, cp.  You are right about the devil. We know what he attempts to do after he bows before Jesus confessing him to be right. He attempts to take the  City of God.....and all of the wicked follow!   :(

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 02:54:09 PM »
The devil is a liar and the father of it. The problem is that he seems to believe his own lies. It's called self deception and is the worst kind of deception if you ask me.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 08:41:38 PM »
Those who will be saved in the kingdom of God will be those who have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. The image of Christ will be perfected in every soul who accepts the gift of his grace, and those who are perfected through his grace, will stand before God equal in elevation, in power and purity, to the angels, and will be honored with them before the eternal throne. The angels of heaven will love those whom Christ has loved, and has bought with his own precious blood.  {ST, December 30, 1889 par. 7} 

Tonight I re-read this article and the above quote stood out to me. Something I didn't see before. I think most people are familiar with the following quote from COL.

"When the fruit is brought forth, immediately he putteth in the sickle, because the harvest is come." Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own.  {COL 69.1} 

I know a person who has taught on at least 2 or 3 occasions that I'm aware of that it'll take the whole corporate body of the church to fulfill this statement because according to him a single person can not fully reflect the full image of Christ. Makes an in interesting twist to the statement. A twist in the wrong direction if you ask me. However, the above quote says that the image of Christ will be perfectly reflected in every soul who accepts God's grace. To be honest I can understand why one would fight against the idea. It is a very high calling and a very high standard but the Lord doesn't ask us to do it our own strength. The whole article shows that we do it in His strength.

I am also reminded of a popular teaching that says that only those living at the time of Christ's return will perfectly reflect the image of God. This also doesn't seem to be correct in the light of the above quote. The image of Christ will be perfected in every soul who accepts the gift of his grace... Nothing here about only those living at the 2nd Coming of Christ.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 06:11:19 PM »
The plan of salvation, making manifest the justice and love of God, provides an eternal safeguard against defection in unfallen worlds, as well as among those who shall be redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. Our only hope is perfect trust in the blood of Him who can save to the uttermost all that come unto God by Him. The death of Christ on the cross of Calvary is our only hope in this world, and it will be our theme in the world to come.

Sometimes we loose sight that God is not only dealing with us. Yes, our little world is the 1 of the 99 that has wandered away but God's responsibility doesn't stop with us. In the end this Great Controversy will serve the purpose of making sure that rebellion doesn't spring up elsewhere also.