Author Topic: In Jesus' Name  (Read 6645 times)

colporteur

In Jesus' Name
« on: September 06, 2014, 04:59:36 PM »

I do not run across this a lot but when I do it troubles me. This was brought to mind again as a new young youth pastor is a prospect for our church. Recently on Sabbath in the course of the morning he offered three prayers. All three times he ended  with "Amen." "In Jesus name" was left out. It is apparent that he always prays this way. One young lady that worked  at camp in Michigan does the same. Her idea is that praying in Jesus' name is an attitude not a matter of words. It seems to me that both matters. Why would we not WANT to prayer in Jesus' name ? Is there not power in the name when we have the right attitude and when we have submitted our life to the Lord ?  I do not say anything but when I hear a prayer ended that way it is like it is totally left undone. Am I being too picky ?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

colporteur

Re: In Jesus' Name
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »
"Jesus said, “Ye shall ask in My name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: for the Father Himself loveth you.” . . . John 16:26, 27. . . .  But to pray in the name of Jesus is something more than a mere mention of that name at the beginning and the ending of a prayer. It is to pray in the mind and spirit of Jesus, while we believe His promises, rely upon His grace, and work His works. {CSA 27.9} {Pr 286.1} {ST, August 21, 1884 par. 13}

There are at least three quotes like this almost identical. I seems to me that this is very close to the same as Jesus said (I think it is in Matthew, my paraphrase) ye pay tithe of mint, cumin, and etc., these ought you to have done and not left the other (weightier matters) undone. Am I wrong or is the previous SOP quote here implying that to pray in the literal name of Jesus is a given and yet it means much more than that ?

A better parallel might be something like - To be a Christian  "is something more than a mere mention of that name" that we are Christians. " It is to pray in the mind and spirit of Jesus, while we believe His promises, rely upon His grace, and work His works."

The question that comes to mind then is, because being a Christian is something more (much more) than a mere mention of that name" do we cease to call ourselves Christians ?

It seems to me that when someone prays for this that and the other and ends with "Amen" that something very important has been left out. The name of our Lord. It's like there is a void there. It would be  like leaving a dear friend's house and saying nothing, and just walking out. While the word "Amen" may be voiced it seems so incomplete. There is not a thoughtful closure to the visit.  Then there is the other extreme where "Lord" begins every sentence. "Lord"" Lord." It kind of reminds me of the rosary. One seems a void and the other over kill. I don't say anything its just the impression it leaves in my mind. Am I being too picky ?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Kaniela

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 03:46:59 PM »
Hey Cop,
       I don't think you're being picky. I've had the same observation.
       You may want to have a discussion with that youth pastor and present that SOP quote though. The reason why I suggest this is that he may not know.
       We had a young teacher once who was teaching here at our church school. He was ask to offer prayer in our church and didn't end "in the name of Jesus". Well after so many times of this happening, the head elder noticed it and had a talk with him. The head elder was surprised to his discovery that the teacher never new this.
       Now I wasn't familiarize with his upbringing, but only new that he was a baptized member.
       I guess in today's time and age, you can't take anything for grant it .
MARANATHA !

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 05:37:40 PM »
Hi CP & Kaniela,

( pray* authority Christ* = 89 hits ) 

Many have an idea that they are responsible to Christ alone for their light and experience, independent of His recognized followers on earth. Jesus is the friend of sinners, and His heart is touched with their woe. He has all power, both in heaven and on earth; but He respects the means that He has ordained for the enlightenment and salvation of men; He directs sinners to the church, which He has made a channel of light to the world.  {AA 122.3} 
     When, in the midst of his blind error and prejudice, Saul was given a revelation of the Christ whom he was persecuting, he was placed in direct communication with the church, which is the light of the world. {b}In this case Ananias represents Christ, and also represents Christ's ministers upon the earth, {u}who are appointed to act in His stead. In Christ's stead[/u] Ananias touches the eyes of Saul, that they may receive sight. In Christ's stead he places his hands upon him, and, as he prays in Christ's name, Saul receives the Holy Ghost. All is done in the name and by the authority of Christ. Christ is the fountain; the church is the channel of communication.  {AA 122.4}

If Ananias had represented someone else, had prayed to someone else, whose authority Heaven did not ratify, it would have been like praying, representing, depending on a false god, a dead god, a helpless god - like Baal’s priests on Mt Carmel, and Saul would have stayed blind, and not received the Holy Ghost .

What you know is often subject upon WHO you know, and in this case what was known was depending upon the WHOM was known, and staying within that authority structure was part of complying with divine directions and asking The Living God - Jesus Christ to supernaturally intervene and do what was promised and needed.

1st Kings 13:
36  And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word.
37 Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the LORD God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again.
38 Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.

THEN - National apostasy > Satan ruling through apostate leaders > people professing as a nation - to know God and know better - serving Baal,  with the remnant of loyal believers as it were staying underground.  A living Elijah present.

NOW - conditions - starting to resemble then - the final Elijah come & gone, but the books live on - the loyal mostly quiet underground .   7000 let your voices be heard at San Antonio TX 2015, unless a delegate you can not vote, but pray in Christ's name and authority and for the sake of His organized Church, and use your influence on the side of right,  remember the sin of the people then, when God's servant Elijah asked them .

21 ¶  And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.

Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 06:37:04 PM »

-Affection cannot be lasting, even in the home circle, unless there is a conformity of the will and disposition to the will of God. All the faculties and passions are to be brought into harmony with the attributes of Jesus Christ. If the father and mother in the love and fear of God unite their interests to have authority in the home, they will see the necessity of much prayer, much sober reflection. And as they seek God, their eyes will be opened to see heavenly messengers present to protect them in answer to the prayer of faith. They will overcome the weaknesses of their character and go on unto perfection. {AH 315.3} 

There are conditions to the fulfillment of God's promises, and prayer can never take the place of duty. "If ye love Me," Christ says, "Keep My commandments." "He that hath My commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me; and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him." John 14:15, 21. Those who bring their petitions to God, claiming His promise while they do not comply with the conditions, insult Jehovah. They bring the name of Christ as their authority for the fulfillment of the promise, but they do not those things that would show faith in Christ and love for Him.  {COL 143.2} 

Many are forfeiting the condition of acceptance with the Father. We need to examine closely the deed of trust wherewith we approach God. If we are disobedient, we bring to the Lord a note to be cashed when we have not fulfilled the conditions that would make it payable to us. We present to God His promises, and ask Him to fulfill them, when by so doing He would dishonor His own name. {COL 143.3} 

The promise is "If ye abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you." John 15:7. And John declares: "Hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth His word, in him verily is the love of God perfected." 1 John 2:3-5.  {COL 144.1} 

One of Christ's last commands to His disciples was "Love one another as I have loved you." John 13:34. Do we obey this command, or are we indulging sharp, unchristlike traits of character? If we have in any way grieved or wounded others, it is our duty to confess our fault and seek for reconciliation. This is an essential preparation that we may come before God in faith, to ask His blessing.  {COL 144.2} 

There is another matter too often neglected by those who seek the Lord in prayer. Have you been honest with God? By the prophet Malachi the Lord declares, "Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from Mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto Me, and I will return unto you, saith the Lord of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return? Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed Me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed Thee? In tithes and offerings." Malachi 3:7, 8.  {COL 144.3} 

As the Giver of every blessing, God claims a certain portion of all we possess. This is His provision to sustain the preaching of the gospel. And by making this return to God, we are to show our appreciation of His gifts. But if we withhold from Him that which is His own, how can we claim His blessing? If we are unfaithful stewards of earthly things, how can we expect Him to entrust us with the things of heaven? It may be that here is the secret of unanswered prayer.  {COL 144.4}   

Error is prevailing everywhere. The great adversary of souls is mustering his forces. He is setting every device in operation in order to confuse the minds of men with specious errors, and thus destroy souls. Those with whom God has intrusted the treasures of His truth are to let the light shine amid the moral darkness.--Historical Sketches, p. 290.  {ChS 20.2} 

God requires His people to shine as lights in the world. It is not merely the ministers who are required to do this, but every disciple of Christ. Their conversation should be heavenly. And while they enjoy communion with God, they will wish to have intercourse with their fellow men, in order to express by their words and acts the love of God which animates their hearts. In this way they will be lights in the world, and the light transmitted through them will not go out or be taken away.--Testimonies, vol. 2, pp. 122, 123.  {ChS 20.3} 

Christ's followers should be instruments of righteousness, workmen, living stones, emitting light, that they may encourage the presence of heavenly angels. They are required to be channels, as it were, through which the spirit of truth and righteousness shall flow.--Testimonies, vol. 2, pp. 126, 127. {ChS 20.4} 

The Lord has made His church the repository of divine influence. The heavenly universe is waiting for the members to become channels through which the current of life shall flow to the world, that many may be converted, and in their turn become channels through which the grace of Christ shall flow to the desert portions of the Lord's vineyard.-- Bible Echo, Aug. 12, 1901.  {ChS 21.1}

Every one who is connected with God will impart light to others. If there are any who have no light to give, it is because they have no connection with the Source of light.--Historical Sketches, p. 291.  {ChS 21.2} 

God has appointed His children to give light to others, and if they fail to do it, and souls are left in the darkness of error because of their failure to do that which they might have done, had they been vitalized by the Holy Spirit, they will be accountable to God. We have been called out of darkness into His marvelous light, in order that we may show forth the praises of Christ.--Review and Herald, Dec. 12, 1893.  {ChS 21.3} 

All who are consecrated to God will be channels of light. God makes them His agents to communicate to others the riches of His grace. . . . Our influence upon others depends not so much upon what we say, as upon what we are. Men may combat and defy our logic, they may resist our appeals; but a life of disinterested love is an argument they cannot gainsay. A consistent life, characterized by the meekness of Christ, is a power in the world.--The Desire of Ages, pp. 141, 142.  {ChS 21.4} 

Those who should have been the light of the world have shed forth but feeble and sickly beams. What is light? It is piety, goodness, truth, mercy, love; it is the revealing of the truth in the character and life. The gospel is dependent on the personal piety of its believers for its aggressive power, and God has made provision through the death of His beloved Son, that every soul may be thoroughly furnished unto every good work. Every soul is to be a bright and shining light, showing forth the praises of Him who has called us out of darkness into His marvelous light. "We are laborers together with God." Yes, laborers; that means doing earnest service in the vineyard of the Lord. There are souls to be saved,--souls in our churches, in our Sabbath schools, and in our neighborhoods.--Review and Herald, March 24, 1891.  {ChS 21.5} 

It is in working for others that they will keep their own souls alive. If they will become colaborers with Jesus, we shall see the light in our churches steadily burning brighter and brighter, sending forth its rays to penetrate the darkness beyond their own borders.--Historical Sketches, p. 291.  {ChS 22.1}   

May God be allowed to send fire - through us, more gently than Mt Carmel, as we live light, shine light, stand for light, teach light, as a part of who Jesus causes us to be continually.

But like He did on Mt Carmel if He sees fit.

In Jesus name ='s what Jesus stands for and authorized and is for His honour .
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}