Author Topic: Apple iPhones allow extraction of deep personal data, researcher finds  (Read 2843 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
(Reuters) - Personal data including text messages, contact lists and photos can be extracted from iPhones through previously unpublicized techniques by Apple Inc employees, the company acknowledged this week.

The same techniques to circumvent backup encryption could be used by law enforcement or others with access to the "trusted" computers to which the devices have been connected, according to the security expert who prompted Apple's admission.

In a conference presentation this week, researcher Jonathan Zdziarski showed how the services take a surprising amount of data for what Apple now says are diagnostic services meant to help engineers.

Users are not notified that the services are running and cannot disable them, Zdziarski said. There is no way for iPhone users to know what computers have previously been granted trusted status via the backup process or block future connections.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/26/us-apple-security-spying-idUSKBN0FV01D20140726
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
This should probably go in the "moaning and groaning" topic ...  ::)

Oh how I need the convenience of a cell phone (from time to time) and if I had one, it would be the iPhone. For those who have them, they appear to be "the bees knees" because they are so accommodating to every possible communication need, even a night vision camera that can see through walls, but at what cost of the abuse of data and capabilities? Night vision is occasionally a necessary thing but what about the burglar who can locate you with one in your own home? It's just too much. There is zero privacy left in this electronic world. 

Am very happy I have not given in to the urge to get one. The more we learn from articles such as these, the more disappointed we become.

Am stepping down from the soapbox and inviting comments. 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
There's no way I'd have an iPhone. First, because of cost, second, there are better phones, IMO. I'm happy right now with my Droid Razr, my son likes his Samsung. I've played around on someone else's iPhone, and I just wasn't impressed. All the bells and whistles don't necessarily make for a good smart phone.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
I have owned both. I had the  iphone because my job paid for it but when I switched jobs and had to supply my own phone I went android. As a person who has owned both this is my evaluation and not based on price because the nicer androids are just as expensive as the iPhone.

When people ask me this is what I tell them. Are you technical and like playing around with your device and enjoy having options? Then go Android. However, if you just want something to work without much playing around and you find technology a little frustrating and confusing then go with the iPhone.

Now as far as price goes if you compare apples to apples (capability, and bells and whistles) between android and iphone you will find them about the same. Why are some androids so much cheaper? Because their processor is slower and have a much less capable camera etc..etc.. The android OS will run on a lot of devices which is why you can get an android seemingly so much cheaper.

As far as security goes. Androids have their faults also. They just aren't shouted from the roof tops like Apple's mistakes are. I'm not an apple fan but because Apple brags so much about their products they are given a really hard time when some security breach is found. Apple's latest OS is probably one of the more secure phone OS's out there.

Also when it comes to the Android OS and security are you really gonna trust your data is secure on an device that uses an OS that is made by Google?? So in my opinion when it comes to security you're choosing between two evils.

Mimi, if you ever get to the point that you want an cell phone (not even a smart one) and don't wish to pay a lot per month or be locked into a two year contract, I'd suggest straighttalk. Their phones depending on which one you get run on the big three's (att, verizon, sprint) towers so if they have coverage in your area you will have signal also. You can even buy a used phone that use to be on att or tmobile's towers and purchase a straighttalk sim card for it and will it work just fine. I know this from personal experience.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}