Author Topic: Prayers for coming up to health reform  (Read 1940 times)

Plain Adventist

• In Search of Primitive Godliness
Prayers for coming up to health reform
« on: June 29, 2014, 10:21:01 AM »
When I was still a child, my family was led to accept health reform. Not that we had ever eaten meat as a family, but we had not understood anything about veganism, vinegar, etc. I kept at it quite well, I think, for years, even after I left home.  But then over time, after years living in a foreign country without the same access to all kinds of healthful substitutes, after going through pregnancies and sleep deprivation and challenges with babies, I came to eat nonvegan things. I also just plain compromised. I could not somehow "feel convicted" to be very strict in diet. It's not that I freely used eggs and dairy, but I had them from time to time. Also I ate foods containing vinegar.

I have been reading about health reform lately and I saw that I was making wrong decisions. I want to come up to the light of health reform because I see that in my choices I was allowing sin in my life. I am glad that God is working on my character in this area because I had not felt good about the way I was not fully coming up to health reform. I would be glad to have prayers that I may be fully committed, regardless of the needed self-denial. Also that I will be encouraged to have faith that a diet free of animal products can indeed be adequately nutritious, even during pregnancy  (I'm now expecting our third child).

My children are very limited in what they will eat. They have an unusual problem with it. As a result I have at times given them dairy products, and my mother's homegrown, vegetarian-fed eggs. After rethinking today's milk dangers, I want to discontinue the dairy with them. I'm unsure on the eggs. I worry about adequate nutrition for them. Also I am trying to start working more on getting them to accept more foods. This is, of course, easier said than done. If anyone has experience doing this with very difficult eaters, without having them just choose to starve themselves because they don't like what is offered, I would be glad for advice. I often feel that I'd rather have them get sufficient calories, than try to require them to eat vegetables and fruits and have them take the alternative, just going hungry.

I am also questioning what to do about replacing the non-aluminum baking powder I've been using. I like making banana nut muffins, cornbread, biscuits, and pancakes. I know waffles can be made without leavening, and my husband says we'll get a waffle maker, so that could help to substitute for pancakes. I do have experience using EnerG baking powder but was not satisfied with the results. Some things turned out heavy, wet and I do not believe, healthful, with it. I've also made yeast cakes and yeast pancakes. As for the pancakes, there was a yeasty taste that leads me to believe that they, too, were not healthful. I like to cook, and I also like my creations to turn out as a good quality product. My husband is a picky eater as well as my children, so it is important to me that my food be palatable, as well as healthful. It would be unfortunate to have to cut out otherwise healthful foods from our diet that my children like to eat, because of the inability to use the baking powder. However, if this is what the Lord is asking of us, I certainly do not want to continue to disobey. I have seen the non-aluminum baking -powder used in one or more reform cookbooks. I also asked a very health reform minded lady about it and she did not really know and did not have any strong feeling against it, so that had made me feel that it was fairly all right to use. However, if it is a form of compromise I do not want to do it.

Thank you all for your prayers as we "come up higher." I do not want to compromise, and I want to feel at peace knowing that I am obeying God fully in this area of practice.
Amy Pavlovik ~~ “The strength and spirituality of the people of God are manifest by the distinctness of the line of demarcation which separates them from the world.” SW 17

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Prayers for coming up to health reform
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 11:52:01 AM »
Dearest ... you came to the right place and congratulations on the new baby!

Scour the pages shown here in Healthful Living. Most every question you have will be addressed. Our prayers are with you, as always.

One thing about eggs. When I stopped eating organic eggs, thinking they were safer, the palms of my hands peeled and broke out in hundreds of tiny blisters. What a mess! I started eating eggs again and the problem went away. Then, I was convicted to quit eating them again and the blisters returned. After about six months of this there were no more blisters. As we drop and replace these things in our diets, our bodies react and sometimes simply rebel. Keep trying and the Lord with work with you as you move toward health reform. 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Plain Adventist

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 02:22:21 PM »
Dear Mimi,

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I am sorry to hear that you went through so much pain in giving up eggs. It must have been hard to persevere. But thankfully the problem has now resolved.

I appreciate your prayers. I need greater faith in this area, especially regarding my children, and I need to be praying that God will heal their appetites too.

Blessings,
Amy
Amy Pavlovik ~~ “The strength and spirituality of the people of God are manifest by the distinctness of the line of demarcation which separates them from the world.” SW 17

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 04:58:33 PM »
Also that I will be encouraged to have faith that a diet free of animal products can indeed be adequately nutritious, even during pregnancy  (I'm now expecting our third child).

Amy, we will be praying for you and your family. Thank you for allowing us the privilege. It is a wonderful time to make these changes. As you know, the dangers to American babies in the womb is quite high. There is little doubt in my mind that this primarily comes from the diet of the mother prior to inception, but most especially what is eaten during pregnancy because this is what forms the child in the womb. The Bible tells us that life is in the blood. In your child's case, his/her life is dependent upon your blood for life. You do not want to place anything that will harm the child into your body. Animals are full of disease and that disease is transmitted through their flesh, blood, milk, and eggs. As Mimi has suggested, there is considerable information in the Healthful Living Forum. You might begin with reading the thread on Milk. Most dairy in the US is infected with Leukemia Virus.

Any suggestion that animal products are needed for good health can be countered by reading of the diet that God gave in the beginning. The healthiest people I know are second and third generation strict vegetarians. My daughter never had an animal product as she grew up. At 16 the dentist and his staff were shocked that her teeth were perfect. It is a lie that meat and dairy are needed to have strong  bones and teeth. The opposite is true. The leading disease that kills children under 15 is cancer, the leading cancer is Leukemia. Weimar has a very good cookbook, as does Uchee Pines. Read through Cutting Edge Recipes and you will also find some good recipes.

Your testimony will be a blessing to others who are beginning to understand the danger posed in eating. Your faith in God's promises will carry you through this transition. God will give you wisdom. He wants the best for you and your family. You remain in our prayers.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Plain Adventist

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 06:29:55 PM »
Thank you, Richard. I've already looked over some things in this area of the forum, and will continue. I have, and regularly use, a number of excellent vegan cookbooks, and despite eating some animal products, my cooking style is still vegan (nut cheese, soymilk, tofu, soy mayonnaise, etc.) So of course that won't change, but what will change, by God's grace, is "cheating" on the diet.

I agree that the animal products are diseased, and even though it seems that Ellen White made quite a lot of use of dairy products, that is not a safe possibility for us now. It's likely that even though my mom's chickens, where we get our eggs, are raised as healthfully as a chicken can be, they too, may be carriers of disease. But even more than the disease issue, I really don't want to continue doing something that God says is wrong.

Thank you for your encouragement!

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »
One more thought, Amy.  In this transition for your family, don't say anything to them. Just slowly give them more delicious healthy food. Finding fresh produce will help. Tree ripened fruit is delicious where much commercial produce lacks flavor and sweetness.

Before my mother was converted, we would spend some holidays with her. She would have a house full of her friends for dinner. Most did not know we were strict vegetarians. We would put our food on the table with all the other dishes. Our food was eaten as if it was regular fare. It was delicious and none knew it was not meat. We would make our gluten which is economical and prepare a dish with it.  In thinking of your situation I am reminded of Ellen White's habit of feeding  her guests the same as her family and none left her table hungry.

We should learn that fruits, grains, and vegetables can be so skillfully and tastefully prepared that they will be chosen before any preparation of meat. After dinner we went to the church, where we found a goodly number of people assembled, notwithstanding the fact that it was Christmas day. We praised the Lord that so many were desirous of hearing the truth. I continued my remarks on the second chapter of Colossians, and the Lord gave me freedom. My burden during the meetings of this Week of Prayer has been to impress the people that true service makes believers self-denying and self-sacrificing. They keep in view the need of individual holiness and consecration, that through the sanctification of the truth they may abound in works of benevolence to the uplifting of others.  17MR 43
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Plain Adventist

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 04:52:37 AM »
Thank you, Richard, for these thoughts as well. That's good to hear that you were able to prepare healthy food in a way that was so acceptable to those not accustomed to it.

Thankfully for our family, we are used to that way of eating so it isn't a change as it is for someone who has been accustomed to a non-vegan lifestyle. The greatest change in my actual cooking will be giving up the non-aluminum baking powder! But it contains baking soda, and after carefully studying the counsel, I must. I may have to skip making certain otherwise healthy baked goods because of that. But I'll also try to experiment and see how I can possibly substitute for some recipes.

colporteur

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 05:25:31 AM »
My wife's parents live outside the country. When my wife and children went to visit them they took with them to eat on the plane the sunburgers I made from scratch. They did not eat them all so left a few behind. The mother-in-law who eats meat got curious and ate the  burgers. She called and said she loves those burgers.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.