Author Topic: Kale ?  (Read 2525 times)

colporteur

Re: Kale ?
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »

I use a solar powered electric fence and then bait the wire with peanut butter. The idea is that they touch their wet nose on the wire and leave town. All is needed is one or two wires. 
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 10:05:11 PM »
That's called "entrapment".  I like it!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of His Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 06:13:50 AM »
That's called "entrapment".  I like it!

Yes, and it is much better than the deer dying from lead poisoning. They soon learn that this is not the Olive Garden but a place to circle around and leave alone. Cut cheap aluminum pie tins from the dollar store into 4" sections and glob on a lump of the cheapest peanut but you can find and twist the foil onto the wire leaving one or both ends open.  One about every 10-15 feet is enough as the deer will seek out the peanut butter. Re do the baits about once a month as it may get moldly with rain and humidity. It is the cheapest way I have found and has worked for me. Otherwise it is a trick to get enough wires and in the right places so they do not jump the wire. It helps too if the deer have not already made it a habit of entering your garden although since the bait draws them to the wire I suspect that they learn quickly. One wire about 30 inches high is enough but I put a second wire below it help steer the coons up higher. The solar powered fencer is about twice as expensive but soon pays for itself with no need of a battery or electricity and it is very portable and convenient. Probably the better the zap the more effective so I purchased a pretty stout fencer for about $290. It is supposed to be effective for several miles and I only have a circumference of about 320 feet.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.