Author Topic: Kale ?  (Read 13725 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Kale ?
« on: June 05, 2014, 07:46:26 AM »
Goatman gave me 8 "kale" plants. Seven are thriving. We are not sure of the variety. If anyone familiar with the kale family can tell me, I'd appreciate knowing. Google didn't provide anything close to matching the leaves. They are growing well but there is something utterly fascinating - they are coming up with a bud stem in the center and one is near flowering this week. The buds are showing pink. That is odd to me, or, is that typical of this variety?

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Kale ?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 09:30:13 AM »
I can't answer your questions but on another note since you have a bud appearing maybe you'll be able to gather seeds for next year? It's my understanding that kale does nicely in cooler climates.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 09:58:50 AM »
Yes, it does and I hope to harvest some seeds.  :)

colporteur

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 11:16:25 AM »
It is interesting that it has bolted so soon.  It doesn't look like any kale I have ever seen, however, varieties abound. It looks very much like mustard. Does it have a spicy taste ? When it blooms it may reveal more.  I think if you wander around on the web and look at mustard plants you will see a striking similarity.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 11:36:45 AM »
That does not appear to be good that it is already flowering. Never seen a kale like it. How does it taste?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 11:39:19 AM »
Does it have a spicy taste ?

No. Tastes like kale, but the Russian kale is sweeter.

The veins on the bottom stems are purple. Hummm ... and each new leaf on the center stem is presenting with a cluster of buds. This thing is not kale. LOL  Whatever it is, I have seven. Such a perfect number!  ;) Will keep you posted on what it becomes.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »
It appears to be a form of Japanese radish. LOL  Even considered "wild radish" in some circles. Goatman did order radishes this year.  :D

The flowers are identical. (I opened one to see its shape.)

http://www.smmtc.org/plantofthemonth/plant_of_the_month_201001_Wild_Radish.htm

Puzzle solved. Now, to tell goatman ...  :P

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »
Great investigative gardening, Mimi!!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 03:12:12 PM »
Thank you! Needed to know what we would be eating. And it is nice that it is another garden green for our salads! It is interesting that this particular plant is specifically for greens rather than the radish. God is good to give us such variety!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 12:41:16 PM »
How's the flavor?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 02:38:49 PM »
It's a rich, earthy green taste. Very good, actually. Not bitter and not sweet. I bought mixed greens last week (to tide me over until mine matures a bit more) and examined them yesterday and saw this plant leaf was included in the package.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 11:29:55 AM »
Thank you! Needed to know what we would be eating. And it is nice that it is another garden green for our salads! It is interesting that this particular plant is specifically for greens rather than the radish. God is good to give us such variety!

The information "specifically for greens rather than the radish" is apparently not true. Why? I have sizable radishes peeking their little heads out of the soil causing the plants to lean.

I just hate getting wrong info on plants and on these, wrong answers have abounded!

One last thing: I do not even like radishes. LOL Best thing to do in this case is to continue using them for greens.

This gardening thing is interesting. What a learning experience!  :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 11:40:08 AM »
God has given you radishes to share with your neighbors who like them.  :)   cut the greens off first!!   :)  Unless you can talk them into eating all of the plant!!  :)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 12:26:21 PM »
We will see what becomes of them. I already share my garden with many families who have a love of kale and chard. If I recall, it seems there are 8 on our list. Our agreement is that they come and go at will, taking what they need for that day so the plants can keep growing and producing as long as possible. It's a great way to thin the garden while helping others round out their meals with really good food. And in turn, they share what they are growing. It's a nice arrangement.   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »
Very nice!

colporteur

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 02:26:30 PM »

Never thought I would say this even after becoming SDA but I really like cooked greens like Kale and Spinach. I've never been a fussy eater and about the only two foods I could never stomach were liver and canned spinach. I grew up in a country home where we ate a lot of veggies but never cooked green leafy veggies. My mother hated/hates them and she was the cook.

It has taken many years for me to develop a liking for cooked greens. Is not that I could not stand them (accept for canned spinach) its just that to me they all tasted the same and reminded me of eating grass. They still mostly taste similar to me but they taste good lightly steamed and then a little sea salt and flaxseed oil when served. Nutritionally there is not much that comes close accept for these greens eaten raw. I have not smelled an open can of canned spinach for years and wonder if it would still turn my stomach. I just had fresh steamed spinach for lunch but there was something diabolical about the wang that canned spinach emits that made me nauseous.
I remember in school at the lunch room when the teacher made me try a bite. They had to clean up the mess and she never asked me to do that again.  :P  Other than that I could eat about anything accept perhaps a few things like oysters (rocky mountain and otherwise) snails. Never tried them. Never will.  ;)
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 05:38:05 PM »
There are some things for different people that seem not to go down so well. As a kid I HATED peas but today they are one of my favorites. However, nothings sets off my gag reflexes like beets or cooked carrots. Anyway this topic is about green leafy veggies. I never had cooked greens until I was past young adulthood and depending on how they are prepared I really like them.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 05:18:01 PM »
Ok - RE: the kale/radish refugee from Japan, what does the root look like, and has rogue dug one or two up yet ?

Is that the raised bed in the front yard ?

BTW do you have wood chips mixed in the soil ?  If you do, they rob nitrogen as they rot, might need to mow grass, rake it up and use the green grass as mulch.

How's the greenhouse / hoophouse plans going ? 
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 02:02:57 PM »
How many kinds of kale are there? I don't know, but I have three kinds growing.  Dino (Lacinato) or Tuscan, Blue Curly, and Portuguese. The Portuguese is tender. Am looking forward to see how well they do this winter. So far the sweet deer have decimated this summer's kale.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 04:44:54 PM »
So far the sweet deer have decimated this summer's kale.

Electric fence.  Not that expensive.  Mine is operated by 6 volt tractor battery.  Otherwise we'd have no garden, period.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10