Author Topic: Transplanting Seedlings  (Read 2642 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Transplanting Seedlings
« on: March 31, 2014, 11:30:06 AM »
There is a good reason why the CEOs son begins in the mailroom. If one is going to run a business, he needs to understand how things work throughout the business. Experience is the best teacher. What has this to do with transplanting?

I was looking at my tomato plants that are growing in Styrofoam cups. Some will need to be transplanted into larger pots soon. I thought, why didn't I just transplant it into a larger pot to begin with? Until you have grown hundreds of seedlings you might not understand. It only took a moment for me to realize why I transplanted into small cups to begin with.

Can anyone tell us why?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mark W

Re: Transplanting Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:33:17 AM »
Richard I can tell you why! You run out of room really really fast! I sow approximately 120 to 130 seeds to one 10"x20" flat. But if I transplant to a insert with 36 cells, that one flat becomes almost 4 flats. And if I transplant to the inserts with 18 cells, you get the picture. One flat of seeds can turn into 7 flats.
and with so many flats to transplant, it takes quite a big area to contain them. This picture was taken two days ago and already got 1000 more in there.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:23:08 AM »
We can see by these pictures that Mark is a pro. What a beautiful setup! We are blessed to have Mark's help.

Yes, we are all limited by space. It is easy to start 1000 seeds. It doesn't take much room. But, when we transplant those thousand seedlings, where we going to put them? It makes a big difference whether we use small pots or large pots. You get the picture. You might say what happens when you have to transplant from the small pots? It depends upon the weather outside. Almost all of mine are going directly into the ground. Some I have already transplanted into large pots because I'm not ready to put all into the ground. It is a matter of timing. I don't have room to use large pots so I cannot start my seeds too early or they will outgrow the small pots.

Thank you Mark, for sharing. We appreciate your help.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mark W

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:58:40 AM »
Richard, I wouldn't call myself a Pro! For I have never had any book schooling to justify the name pro. But rather I am no different then anyone else on here except for the fact that maybe I have more experience at this stuff then others. For I have been attending the school of nature for over 35 years. It can have way more benefits for the mind and soul then book learning alone.

Indeed there is great even unexpected benefits from being out in the garden and learning all we can not only from God through nature and the tilling of the soil, but we learn so much from experience. And while on the subject of transplanting, here is a quote that is most fitting.

"In the cultivation of the soil the thoughtful worker will find that treasures little dreamed of are opening up before him. No one can succeed in agriculture or gardening without attention to the laws involved. The special needs of every variety of plant must be studied. Different varieties require different soil and cultivation, and compliance with the laws governing each is the condition of success.   
     The attention required in transplanting, that not even a root fiber shall be crowded or misplaced, the care of the young plants, the pruning and watering, the shielding from frost at night and sun by day, keeping out weeds, disease, and insect pests, the training and arranging, not only teach important lessons concerning the development of character, but the work itself is a means of development. In cultivating carefulness, patience, attention to detail, obedience to law, it imparts a most essential training.   
     The constant contact with the mystery of life and the loveliness of nature, as well as the tenderness called forth in ministering to these beautiful objects of God's creation, tends to quicken the mind and refine and elevate the character; and the lessons taught prepare the worker to deal more successfully with other minds."

Gardening is not only about supplying nutritious food for yourself and your family, but  a learning experience that can help us be not only more successful in gardening, but more successful in understanding God and His character and will. God bless.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 08:22:03 PM »
Amen, Mark.  "Study in agricultural lines should be the A, B, and C of the education given in our schools. This is the very first work that should be entered upon. Our schools should not depend upon imported produce, for grain and vegetables, and the fruits so essential to health."