Author Topic: Spring 2014  (Read 7308 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Spring 2014
« on: March 17, 2014, 05:52:25 PM »
It's hard to talk about spring when there is still close to a foot of snow on the ground and maybe more on the way. However, about 1.5 weeks ago I stepped out of my car and heard a familiar sound but I couldn't place it first and then it dawned on me this is what I was hearing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3QicOAiBXk

This to me is a sure sign that spring can't be awfully far away :)   These are a better indicator than Robins (in my opinion anyway). About the same time I spoke with my brother who lives about 10 hours south of me. He said he saw these in the air headed my direction. Another sign of spring if you ask me. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKNA82bcdWU

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Spring 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:25:22 AM »
Red-winged Blackbirds are generally the first migrant here, too, but with a foot and a half of snow last week, -2° (-8° down in the valley) last night, and no real warm up in sight, they are late, and I don't' expect to see any until next week.  My average first arrival date for them is Mar. 12.  One time they didn't show until the last week of March.  Completely unexpected was a pair of Wood Ducks last Wednesday, my earliest record for that species, in spite of one of the coldest winters on record.

Robins have been around all winter in pretty good numbers.  Sandhill Cranes just started breeding in the State within the past 20 years, and before that they were vagrants.  They start showing up in early April.

The only signs that spring is coming are Cardinals, Mourning Doves, and Titmice singing.  Apparently they are more affected by daylight than by temperature.

And Crocuses!  Usually I've found a few crocuses or snowdrops blooming by now; not this year.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »
Well maybe the ones roosting in my neighbor's trees are headed to your neck of the country. There must have been a couple hundred of them. Not sure since I've never tried to estimate a flock of birds but a couple of trees were covered and singing up a storm. There is a large swampy area behind their house so maybe they will stick around.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

ejclark

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 05:39:51 PM »
These are the critters that tell us it's spring.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j4MIXNRks5U

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 03:09:21 AM »
 8) Love those little critters!

Here is some encouragement from Accuweather.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/new-york-ny/10017/weather-forecast/349727

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 03:51:29 AM »
You're using the term "encouragement" rather loosely, aren't you?  ;)

Back to single digits at night early next week for us.  I'll be very surprised if this March is not the coldest on record for our area.  But that is what we'd expect with global warming.  ::)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 04:08:20 AM »
You're using the term "encouragement" rather loosely, aren't you?  ;)

Nope. Gotta have encouragement. We need to take the "warm-ish" weather when we can get it!  ;)

Back to single digits at night early next week for us. 

Hang on, Mr. Grouch!   ;D Here you are looking to next week when some cold returns. Are we promised tomorrow? No! We need to appreciate what we have today because it is a little sign that Spring is nigh. Away with this negativity! The frogs are singing and the Robins are returning!

Actually, one day until Spring!  8)

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 04:09:50 AM »
These are the critters that tell us it's spring.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j4MIXNRks5U

Ej, those would definitely be a sign of spring has arrived for us also. But I don't anticipate hearing those a while yet so for now I'll be satisfied with the Red Winged Black birds showing up.

ejclark

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 09:20:48 AM »
We've been hearing the frogs here in central MO of and on for about a week.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 03:04:04 AM »
Don't rub it in.  ;D  We just got another 6" or so of snow overnight.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 03:23:16 PM »
Make that 9" at home; a foot at work.  :(

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 04:22:09 PM »
 :(

colporteur

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
Make that 9" at home; a foot at work.  :(

Be thankful you are getting moisture.   8)
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 04:51:59 PM »
There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.  ;D  In the past year, we've had only 2 months of below normal precipitation:  last April, and last October.  If I could share it with Calif., I would.

ejclark

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 05:21:18 PM »
A person would think that with all the pipelines for natural gas and other things, someone would have thought about pipelines for water. Places with abundance sharing with those less fortunate. Oh yea....... not much profit in it.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 06:11:10 PM »
Ej, they have thought about it. People in Arizona and I think even southern California have had their eyes on Lake Michigan for a long time now but it hasn't gotten anywhere (yet). If it gets bad enough I'm sure the idea will get re-visited.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 11:20:40 AM »
8) Love those little critters!

Here is some encouragement from Accuweather.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/new-york-ny/10017/weather-forecast/349727

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am not encouraged when I see "DRY" plastered on my area of the map.  My concern is where am I going to get water for my garden (my breakfast and dinner)?  I am aware of my friends who want to see the sun so that global warming may occur in their part of the world. So concerned am I, that I burned two large piles of pruning wood in hopes that some are right in saying that carbon dioxide will help you folks out some. Let me know if you notice any difference in temps.  I can burn a few more piles if necessary.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 02:10:26 PM »
There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.  ;D  In the past year, we've had only 2 months of below normal precipitation:  last April, and last October.  If I could share it with Calif., I would.

It will soak in. It will run off.   ;D :P
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 02:49:59 PM »
I can burn a few more piles if necessary.

You might want to try it again. I think it may have worked since we actually got into the 40's today. However, we starting tomorrow we have 20's and teens in our forecast. So if you have any more brush piles don't refrain yourself.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 03:06:13 PM »
I am sorry my encouragement fell on deaf ears. Wally was not happy because cold weather is coming again next week. Richard was not happy because his state is dry as a bone. Neither accepted my encouragement. That is discouraging.  ???

I'll tell you who is happy - we in the middle who are sick at heart of winter and are presently relishing the warm weather.

I planted 75 purple onion plants today. In April, I will plant another 75 Walla Walla onions. Spring is here and we are happy and exceedingly encouraged!