Author Topic: Windows 8.1  (Read 8248 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Windows 8.1
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:43:02 PM »
With Microsoft pulling the plug on Windows XP in April and my 8 year old computer kinda getting long in the tooth I've been keeping my eye out for something newer. For those who are already on Windows 8 or 8.1 you might find this article interesting. He explains some of the ins and outs of having and using a Microsoft account when using Windows 8 or 8.1.

It appears that Microsoft wants to know what you search for even on  your local computer. In other words if you can't remember where you put a file on your local hard drive and you use the search function to find it, Windows 8.1 will send that query information back to Bing. I'm not so sure why Microsoft needs to know the content of my hard drive but none-the-less they are interested.  Here is a short snip-et....

Don’t bother mentioning Microsoft’s Scroogled ads. Microsoft probably snoops just as much personal information as does Google. However, while Google might scan the contents of all emails (both in and out of Gmail), Microsoft scans all the mail coming and going through Hotmail/Outlook.com, too. The only difference: Microsoft claims it doesn’t retain details about mail content for use in setting up ads.

Microsoft reportedly does keep track of the sender/recipients and the subject line. And, like every other email handler, it examines the body of mail to guard against malware.

That said, Microsoft can, by default in Win8.1, track all searches on your computer — both Internet and local.

I discussed how to turn off “Smart Search” in the Sept. 19 Top Story, “Touring through the final Windows 8.1.” (See the subsection, “Some Windows 8.1 ‘features’ best avoided.”) But even with it off, when you sign in to Windows with a Microsoft account, the company can keep a record of when and where you signed in. That doesn’t exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy.
  Source

Another article discussing the new search feature/s in Windows 8.1 Source
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 04:39:21 PM »
With Microsoft pulling the plug on Windows XP in April and my 8 year old computer kinda getting long in the tooth I've been keeping my eye out for something newer.

Me, too. Rhetorical question on the links you provided: why are our options on these things always the lesser of two evils?  :(

Personally speaking, I am not willing to give up all just for a computer. Even though I was considering a new tablet, with this news I doubt that will happen. When this one dies, computers will have lived out their usefulness in my life and I will be forced into bidding all of you adieu, blow off the dust on my stationery box, and resort to pen and ink. This invasiveness will only increase.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:00:46 PM »
My local computer consultant has advised me to look for a computer with Windows 7.  He says that I will not like Windows 8 at all.  My next Quickbooks update will overwhelm my present computer, so it looks like I will be forced to upgrade.  The end of support for Windows XP is just another incentive.

I find the whole process more stressful than doing my taxes.  :(
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »
Wally, I would agree with your consultant. You WILL NOT like Windows 8 at all. Get a refurbished computer with Windows 7 already on it. That was exactly what I was going to to until I ran across a deal on a computer I couldn't turn down. But it has Windows 8. :(   However, there are a couple of free 3rd party apps that will do a good job at making a Windows 8 computer look like Windows 7. 

Anyway... I agree. If anyone is looking to replace their Windows XP machines get a refurbed computer with Windows 7. If you only need a computer to do email and the internet you can get one in the low to mid 200.00 range.

Wally if we lived near each other I'd gladly install your new computer in trade for doing my taxes!  ;D
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »
A couple of more thoughts... when getting a refurbished computer. Make sure it's Windows 7 and not Vista.

Windows 8's interface is wonderful for tablets and phones but horrifying on a desktop computer or a laptop without a touch screen.

There are lots of good places online to get a refurbed computer. However, if you happen to live near a college or univeristy you might try calling them and asking when/if they have surplus sales. I've seen computers with Windows 7, 19" monitor, keyboard, and mouse go for under $150.00 all the time at these surplus stores.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 05:55:19 PM »
Personally speaking, I am not willing to give up all just for a computer. Even though I was considering a new tablet, with this news I doubt that will happen. When this one dies, computers will have lived out their usefulness in my life and I will be forced into bidding all of you adieu, blow off the dust on my stationery box, and resort to pen and ink. This invasiveness will only increase.

Mimi, if you're going to stick with Windows XP for a while. You might be fine so long as you're extra vigilant in minding your p's & q's when browsing the internet but I would recommend finding a used Windows 7 computer. It's a rock solid OS (well.. as solid as Windows can get) with very few BSOD or other crashes.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 05:28:12 AM »

Wally if we lived near each other I'd gladly install your new computer in trade for doing my taxes!  ;D

A nice thought, but not even I am that crazy.  I hand my ledger to my accountant and sleep soundly at night.  ;D
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »
Mimi, you don't have to give up your computer. You have an option. It is not the computer that is the problem, it is the internet. You can keep your xp, just don't go online. You can have Win 8, just don't go online with it. The devil is in control of this world to the degree God allows. Google, Facebook, and Microsoft are not being led by God. They are immoral.

That said, you can have a second cheap computer that goes online, but has nothing in the computer that you do not want others to see.  I refuse to use many Google apps on my phone because I don't want them to know where I am and what I am doing. It is none of their business. I am going to refuse to reply to gmail messages because what I say in that email is logged by Google even though I have not given them permission to do so.  We all will be looking for another op since Microsoft does not value our privacy. I quit using their browser years ago. And, I don't make provision for their oddities when formatting a website. If someone is using their browser and things don't look good, sorry. Get another browser.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 10:50:18 AM »

Mimi, if you're going to stick with Windows XP for a while. You might be fine so long as you're extra vigilant in minding your p's & q's when browsing the internet but I would recommend finding a used Windows 7 computer. It's a rock solid OS (well.. as solid as Windows can get) with very few BSOD or other crashes.

I had to go to town this morning and next door to my appointment is our city's "Best Of" computer store since 2008. Figuring any store with that honor every single year for 7 years should be checked out, so I went in, considering Jim's advice.

The man said the same thing as Jim. So I gave him the info on my HP and he said it is still a very good machine considering what I use it for, and suggested wiping XP and installing Win7, then reinstalling all of my programs. And of course, he will do it for me at minimal cost.  So, today that is my plan. Of course, I could change my mind tomorrow depending on the next worse thing that is happening in the world of security breaches. This news is fresh today: http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/10/technology/security/heartbleed-passwords/index.html Scroll down and take action on changing passwords if necessary. CNN is stating they will keep the info coming as they learn who has been using Heartbleed.

Hello Facebook and Google! You are still not on my "like" list!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 05:45:04 AM »
This is an interesting story. China bans Win8 for government use. It's largest inventory of computers, even this very day? XPs. What is behind the ban? America's metadata sweeps.

China bans use of Microsoft's Windows 8 on government computers

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 05:26:31 PM »

I took your advice, dear geekie brother and will be upgrading to a used Windows 7 computer. Spent the day getting one for Rusty because her's was struck by lightning yesterday. She was told by everyone not to get Win8 but to go with a used Win7. So, she did.  My XP machine was not worth upgrading so I am getting the same one as her's on Monday and keep the old XP for backup and for its relic status.  ;D I think my happiness just increased. :D 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 06:15:28 PM »
:) I can understand how you'd be excited about a new(er) computer. Unless it's super the old the hard drive is probably usable. The rest maybe not so much but it's good to have a backup should something happen to the new  one  Enjoy!!