Author Topic: Growing Garlic  (Read 7246 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Growing Garlic
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:24:25 PM »
It has been some time since I have grown garlic. Bought some elephant garlic today.  I may be a little late, but am going to try anyway. Anyone had success growing garlic?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Growing Garlic
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:37:57 AM »
I haven't but was thinking about it for this season. So my ears are open what is said in this topic.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 02:36:51 PM »
I have grown garlic successfully for several years but only when I planted it in late summer the year before, let it winter over and then start up early in the spring.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 11:48:26 AM »
Just checking in to see if anyone here decided to plant garlic. I got a way way too late of a start on my garden so I completely forgot about garlic in my rush to get the garden planted. However, I plan on planting some this fall for spring. Which is what I will do also for my potatoes now that I know they will survive a winter and pop back up in the spring. It will be good to have 4 or 5 rows of my veggies already planted come spring. :)
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 12:04:43 PM »
Just checking in to see if anyone here decided to plant garlic. I got a way way too late of a start on my garden so I completely forgot about garlic in my rush to get the garden planted. However, I plan on planting some this fall for spring. Which is what I will do also for my potatoes now that I know they will survive a winter and pop back up in the spring. It will be good to have 4 or 5 rows of my veggies already planted come spring. :)

I put in 34 raised beds and  planted one 4x8.5 ' raised bed of garlic.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
Cp, how long will they store? As long or longer than potatoes?

colporteur

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »
Cp, how long will they store? As long or longer than potatoes?

I doubt it. I have kept potatoes in grade A condition with no sprouts for just over a year in a deep, damp,  and entirely dark well pit and in plastic garbage cans with lids. Garlic should be kept cool but not cold, and with air circulating around it as in a mesh basket. It will either sprout and grow or dehydrate and turn to husks. 3-5 months is considered shelf life for garlic. It can be frozen, dehydrated or canned/pickled w lemon juice for longer life. I always harvest mine in the fall after the plant dies and then separate some of the bulbs and replant then.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 07:34:52 AM »
34 raised beds?  You must have been on vacation, cp! Tell us what you planted.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.