Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 3-First Quarter 2014-Discipleship and Prayer  (Read 16197 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 3-First Quarter 2014-Discipleship and Prayer
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 10:38:22 AM »
Wednesday January 15

Timeless Compassion

Christ was the embodiment of perfection; that is, all of God’s perfections were revealed in Him. Thus, was anyone ever more compassionate than Christ? Who possessed a stronger desire than Jesus to alleviate human distress?

We, therefore, ask: what relationship did Christ’s compassion and intercession have with discipleship?

Read

Luke 22:31-32
  22:31   And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired [to have] you, that he may sift [you] as wheat: 
  22:32   But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren. 

John 17:6-26
  17:6   I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 
  17:7   Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. 
  17:8   For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received [them], and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me. 
  17:9   I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. 
  17:10   And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. 
  17:11   And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we [are]. 
  17:12   While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. 
  17:13   And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 
  17:14   I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 
  17:15   I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 
  17:16   They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 
  17:17   Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. 
  17:18   As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. 
  17:19   And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. 
  17:20   Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; 
  17:21   That they all may be one; as thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 
  17:22   And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: 
  17:23   I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. 
  17:24   Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world. 
  17:25   O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. 
  17:26   And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare [it]: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them. 

Heb. 2:17
  2:17   Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto [his] brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things [pertaining] to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. 

How did Jesus’ identification with humanity influence His intercessory prayers? What are the ultimate objectives of Christ’s intercessory prayers?

Jesus could effectively intercede on His disciples’ behalf because He was actively engaged in their lives, thoroughly understood them, and passionately desired their good. Effective intercession today demands nothing less. The twenty-first century disciple-maker will discard time-consuming pursuits that interfere with their relationships with lost souls. Making money, achieving fame, even educational excellence must become subservient to the greater goal of the redemption of the lost. This is an important truth that so easily slips from sight, because we are so often caught in the daily grind of living.

Jesus invested Himself in the lives of His disciples. He visited their homes, became acquainted with their relatives, spent leisure time in their company, and worked alongside them. Nothing significant to their lives escaped His notice. Disciple-making today requires more than tract distribution and airtight biblical argumentation. Praying in a sympathetic consciousness of another’s distress, and with a passionate desire to alleviate that distress, is still the standard of intercessory prayer in effective disciple-making.

Though it can sound quaint, there’s a lot of truth in the statement, "People care little about what you know until they know how much you care."

Amen! I again say I hope this quarter we discuss the method that Jesus used and gave to us to reveal that we love others. There many ways, but one has been revealed in the life of Christ and has been entrusted to us as a people. What is that method that Jesus used and we are to follow?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 01:23:33 PM »
Thursday January 16

Timeless Compassion Replicated

The sincerest offering of praise is imitation. Christ’s earliest disciples imitated their Master’s prayer life. Naturally they prayed for personal safety, for their daily necessities, and for individual spiritual guidance. Nevertheless, intercessory prayer became an important component of their discipleship.

Read

Acts 1:13-14
  1:13   And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James [the son] of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas [the brother] of James. 
  1:14   These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren. 

1 Timothy 2:1-4
  2:1   I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, [and] giving of thanks, be made for all men; 
  2:2   For kings, and [for] all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 
  2:3   For this [is] good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 
  2:4   Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 

James 5:13-16
  5:13   Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. 
  5:14   Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: 
  5:15   And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. 
  5:16   Confess [your] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. 

1 John 5:16
  5:16   If any man see his brother sin a sin [which is] not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. 

Jude 20-22
  1:20   But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, 
  1:21   Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 
  1:22   And of some have compassion, making a difference: 

1 Peter 4:7
  4:7   But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer. 

What role did prayer assume in the early church? What were some of the specific situations for which they prayed? What can we learn from these examples?

Constant prayer anchored the early church. Whenever Paul departed for missionary purposes, he was commissioned through prayer (Acts 13:3, 14:23). Even their farewells were clothed in prayer (Acts 20:36, 21:5). Frequently their prayers assumed the form of intercession. They prayed for government leaders, fellow believers, and, generally speaking, everyone! Paul interceded for the father of Publius, the chief official who suffered from dysentery. Even when he lay dying Stephen interceded for his murderers. The centrality of prayer among the earliest believers can hardly be overstated. Scripture says that prayer pleases God because He desires salvation for everyone and seeks the advancement of truth. Through prayer-combined with apostolic teaching, fervent preaching, miraculous wonders, and loving fellowship-the early church rapidly multiplied. Despite vigorous persecution, Christianity enveloped the empire. Thousands upon thousands accepted the gospel. Transformed lives burned as living lights from Caesar’s palace to points unknown.

How much time do you spend in intercessory prayer? Think through your answer. Better yet, perhaps the question should be, How much more time should you spend in intercessory prayer?

It is true that we learn as we move forward. But, if we will pray for ourselves, that we be converted daily, then we will find ourselves looking to God rather than walking in our own strength. If we are converted, then we will be asking God for help for ourselves and for others. Think of how much we lose when we do not ask God for help. Are there some who you ought to have been praying for? They why wait? Now is just as good a time as any for prayer for another.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Al

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 05:54:37 PM »
Wednesday - Timeless Compassion

I think that almost everyone would have to say they need more compassion. The closer we come to Christ the more we can partake of his Spirit and be like him. Some think that compassion glosses over sin but in this case with Christ and Peter in Luke 22:31, 32 We find that because of Christ's love for Peter that he was very forth right with him. "Peter Satan desires to sift you as wheat" but Christ also let Peter know he was praying for him.

I wonder how we define true compassion?  How is this different than sentimentalism?

Christ cared enough about people to talk to them about the important things of life.

John 17:6-26 demonstrates Christ love for each of us. Christ main concern for his people is for them to have faith and give glory to His name. In John 17:10 Christ says  "And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them."  Then in John 17:15 Christ prays that his follows should be kept from the evil of this world. In John 17:17 it says "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth."  Christ then prays for us to be one with him as he is with the Father. While this pray was for his disciples he had each of us in mind.

How are we interacting with other people? How much do we care? People in the world are becoming more impatient, intolerant, and self centered.

Lesson: "Jesus invested Himself in the lives of His disciples. He visited their homes, became acquainted with their relatives, spent leisure time in their company, and worked alongside them. Nothing significant to their lives escaped His notice. Disciple-making today requires more than tract distribution and airtight biblical argumentation. Praying in a sympathetic consciousness of another’s distress, and with a passionate desire to alleviate that distress, is still the standard of intercessory prayer in effective disciple-making."

Spending time with people will only have impact if we have been spending time with Christ. We should not be ashamed of what Christ has done and is doing in our lives. I am sure we have all sung this song.  "This little light of mine I going to let it shine." this has more meaning when we have a love in our hearts for those we are with.

Does anyone have any stories to share about how God has worked through you to impact someone else's life by caring about them? 

Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 09:40:46 PM »
Amen, Al.  Let us hear testimonies of what Jesus is doing in the life of Christians.

Your post reminded me of Ezekiel 36:23.  "And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes." What does it mean to be "sanctified" and why will that convince the heathen that there is a God in heaven?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 05:26:57 AM »
"If thou hast run with the footmen, and they have wearied thee, then how canst thou contend with horses? and if in the land of peace, wherein thou trustedst, they wearied thee, then how wilt thou do in the swelling of Jordan?" Jeremiah 12:5

Al, I am very pleased to see this verse quoted in the context of this week's lesson. It has been on my mind for a while now because it applies to me. Oft times we experience a tone of discontent in ourselves and from those around us whom we believe to be the most sincere believers, even those long in the faith. Emerging from a worship service or a prayer meeting there is heard from our lips, "I was not fed spiritual food. When will we be fed?" Such questions coming from “mature Christians” purportedly eating the meat of the gospel should never be uttered, for our connection with the Father is obviously not what it should be. We are to be feeding others, not waiting ourselves to be fed by someone else. Thereby it can be seen we are not nearly as far along as we should be. We have lost our connection and that connection is only maintained through close communion with Him by way of earnest and intense prayer.

Weariness of this nature is manifest when a spiritual drought has overtaken us. It does not happen overnight but begins with little steps of neglectfulness through prayer. Our focus on Him almost unnoticeably diminishes and in very short order is turned inward to ourselves. Little by little we slip and begin to murmur why things should be thus. Selfishness, self-centeredness of that order has no thought for the plight of others because we are so immersed in what is happening to us. It is precisely at that time that we are sent a trial only God’s hand can pull us out of. He reminds us who we are without Him.

As for intercessory prayer, saints I have known who are now resting in the grave were recognized for interceding for their loved ones and the church. Now that their prayers have gone silent, it behooves us to ask who has taken up that all-important activity. Their great love for lost souls was the focus of their lives and daily they took their burdens to the Father. Only when we are acting outside of ourselves can we pick up the torch, praying for others as did Daniel and those millions of saints whose voices have gone silent through death.

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 06:12:12 AM »
Quoting Al   
I wonder how we define true compassion?  How is this different than sentimentalism?

4697. σπλαγχνι/ζομαι splagchnizomai splangkh-nid’-zom-ahee; middle voice from 4698; to have the bowels yearn, i.e. (figuratively) feel sympathy, to pity: —  have (be moved with) compassion.

<4697> =  12 Bible texts

Matthew 9:36  But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion <4697> on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.

Matthew 14:14  And Jesus went forth, and saw a great multitude, and was moved with compassion <4697> toward them, and he healed their sick.

Matthew 15:32  Then Jesus called his disciples unto him, and said, I have compassion <4697> on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.

Matthew 18:27  Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion <4697>, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.

Matthew 20:34  So Jesus had compassion <4697> on them, and touched their eyes: and immediately their eyes received sight, and they followed him.

Mark 1:41  And Jesus, moved with compassion <4697>, put forth his hand, and touched him, and saith unto him, I will; be thou clean.

Mark 6:34  And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion <4697> toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things.

Mark 8:2  I have compassion <4697> on the multitude, because they have now been with me three days, and have nothing to eat:

Mark 9:22  And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion <4697> on us, and help us.

Luke 7:13  And when the Lord saw her, he had compassion <4697> on her, and said unto her, Weep not.

Luke 10:33  But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion <4697> on him,

Luke 15:20  And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion <4697>, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.

Next plug the Bible Texts into SOP search engine to see what is found.  If the whole vers has no SOP hits or quotes, prune down the text till SOP quotes do show up.

Look at what Scripture & SOP together say about the topic, in this case - compassion <4697>, if multiple facets are given copy them into a word processing file for reading once the compiling is done; then you will now know what inspiration says compassion is and what is sentimentalism by contrast.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Al

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 10:14:31 AM »
Richard that text in Ezekiel goes along well with this lesson. Sanctification is a great topic and is a very important part of Christian growth. The other companion text is found in  John 17:19  "And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth." This was part of Christ's prayer for each of us. This is an good topic to discuss.
Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

Al

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 10:19:08 AM »
Mimi,

Very good points, sorry to say I have had my times of discontent. When we join the church we think we have found a safe haven a place of love, peace and joy and then find this is not always the case. But the main point is that we can offer these things to others and be a part of the solution. I like your comment about feeding others and not waiting to be fed ourselves. I am sure we all remember that story about the man who was wondering around lost in the woods out in the cold and was freezing to death and then came across someone laying in the snow who was also freezing. He picked the person up and started rubbing him to warm him up. In working to save this person he also saved himself. We need to warm each other up.

It certainly true that we can slip away an inch at a time. Satan is going to do everything in his power to keep us out of focus. Your comments remind me of the muckraker in Pilgrims Progress. Who has his head down and is raking away at all the filth and slime of this world while all the time there is a crown of life just above his head. We were never promised a rose garden in this world and trials are a part of life. The tares are going to be with the wheat until the harvest. We just need to make sure we are the wheat.

Your closing comments certainly speak to my heart. I fall short myself of praying for others like I should. But not only praying but working out our prayers when every possible.

Al

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 10:27:43 AM »
Ed,

I read your post several times and after looking at all those scriptures compiled together it helps make this lesson very clear. Compassion in the texts were always in the context of hands on with people in some practical way. We can see as that Christ because of this compassion "invested of himself." The Father in the story of the prodigal son you mentioned in Luke 15:33 was action filled the heart of a father is demonstrated  towards his wayward son,  as he ran and fell on his neck, and kissed him. This transcends to all of us who are followers of Christ we need to pray to be more like him.

I started to look up the word "compassion" this week but did not take the time to finish. The first place It is found in the KJV is Exodus 2:6 "And when she had opened it, she saw the child: and, behold, the babe wept. And she had compassion on him, and said, This is one of the Hebrews' children."  Nothing more than a lost weeping baby to touch the heart of this woman. The Pharaoh's  daughter finds baby Moses in the river among the reeds and takes him home to be her son. In the Hebrew the word "compassion" as you stated means "pity or spare or commiserate" We can also see from the action of the Pharaoh's daughter that she invested of herself. Her compassion lead to action in taking on the responsibility of loving and raising a child that was not hers.

Thanks for the search suggestions in the SOP  I have done this in before and find that it to be a rewarding experience.

I will look up compassion and sentimentalism but always like to hear other peoples thoughts on this or what they have found in their studies. I think it is important because I think it is easy to get the two confused. Here is an example.

"It should be made plain that the government of God knows no compromise with evil. Neither in the home nor in the school should disobedience be tolerated. No parent or teacher who has at heart the well-being of those under his care will compromise with the stubborn self-will that defies authority or resorts to subterfuge or evasion in order to escape obedience. It is not love but sentimentalism that palters with wrongdoing, seeks by coaxing or bribes to secure compliance, and finally accepts some substitute in place of the thing required."  {CG 236.2}  How are we to understand sentimentalism in this context?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
Why are we opposed to sentimentalism? Do we see it expressed in the church? In what areas do we find it pervasive in the church?

sentimentalism--- predominance of sentiment over reason, weak emotionalism; excessive indulgence in sentiment...a display of sentimentality.

sentimental--appealing to sentiment, emotions and feelings, pertaining to or dependent on sentiment.

sentiment--a thought influenced by or proceeding from feeling or emotion...a mental feeling; emotion.

When we listen to the verse Al shared, we better understand why we are opposed to sentimentalism.

"And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth." This was part of Christ's prayer for each of us.

Sentimentalism sanctified none.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 02:06:07 PM »
Friday January 17

Further Study: Read Ellen G. White, A Reformatory Movement, p. 126, in Testimonies for the Church, vol. 9; By Personal Efforts and Living Faith, pp. 244, 245, in Medical Ministry.

"He who does nothing but pray will soon cease to pray, or his prayers will become a formal routine. When men take themselves out of social life, away from the sphere of Christian duty and cross bearing; when they cease to work earnestly for the Master, who worked earnestly for them, they lose the subject matter of prayer and have no incentive to devotion. Their prayers become personal and selfish. They cannot pray in regard to the wants of humanity or the upbuilding of Christ’s kingdom, pleading for strength wherewith to work."-Ellen G. White, Steps to Christ, p. 101.

Amen!  The only reason we are left on this Earth is to be of help to others. If we have no burden to help others, then we have not His Spirit.

Discussion Questions:

Why does an absence of intercessory prayer stunt the growth of the church? Conversely, how does an active intercessory prayer life stimulate disciple-making activity? What are the keys to effective intercessory prayer? How can the intercessor know what to pray about?

When we get to heaven, by god's grace, we shall sorrow over the fact that many are not there who could have been if we had prayed for them.  If we are interacting with people in order to help them, we will know just what to pray for.

What should members do on behalf of those for whom they pray that goes beyond their private petitions at home? How can members build relationships with the neighbors, relatives, and coworkers for whom they pray? Why should private prayers for others always be accompanied by sustained efforts to be friends with those same people?

There are many things that we can do to be of help to others.  But God has given us a specific work to do that we might be friends with others. What is that work?

What steps should twenty-first-century Christians take to experience dynamic prayer lives? What is the relationship between successful disciple-making and the encountering of God’s divine presence through prayer? Can prayer change those prayed for without first changing those who pray for them? How might the subject matter for prayer be altered by having passion for lost souls? What impact does personal holiness and prayer have on the would-be soul-winner’s capacity for the sharing of truth?

These are all very good questions.  Let's begin with the last question.  The answer is found in Ezekiel chapter 36, verse 23. "And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes." Why does personal holiness have this effect on the heathen? We cannot give to others that which we do not have. God will not hear our prayers for others if we regard iniquity in our hearts. We must be possessed by His spirit, then we shall manifest the fruits of His spirit.

What specific things can believers do to expand their contacts with those who have not accepted Christ? What can Christians do to get beyond surface relationships with their peers so that they will know specific needs for which to pray?

If we will study and pray, God will give us wisdom to know how we can expand our contacts.      I can see in the Lord's providences that the medical missionary work is to be a great entering wedge, whereby the diseased soul may be reached.--Counsels on Health, p. 535.   The evangelization of the world is the work that God has given to those who go forth in His name. They are to be colaborers with Christ, revealing to those ready to perish His tender, pitying love. God calls for thousands to work for Him, not by preaching to those who know the truth, going over and over the same ground, but by warning those who have never heard the last message of mercy. Work with a heart filled with an earnest longing for souls. Do medical missionary work. Thus you will gain access to the hearts of the people. The way will be prepared for more decided proclamation of the truth. You will find that relieving their physical suffering gives an opportunity to minister to their spiritual needs. The Lord will give you success in this work, for the gospel is the power of God unto salvation, when it is interwoven with the practical life, when it is lived and practiced. The union of Christlike work for the body and Christlike work for the soul is the true interpretation of the gospel.--An Appeal for the Medical Missionary College, pp. 14, 15.

Have you ever considered that Jesus spent more time healing than preaching?  If we will do the same in an effort to save souls, our  work will meet with the same success. Are you helping those who are sick?  Are you sharing information with others on health reform?  The world is ready to know what we know about healing and good health.   

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 07:51:59 AM »
Jesus prayed all night not to get in his time but because he realized his great need to be in communion with God.

Daily He received a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit. In the early hours of the new day the Lord awakened Him from His slumbers, and His soul and His lips were anointed with grace, that He might impart to others.—The Review and Herald, August 11, 1910.

Righteousness is love, and love is the light and the life of God. The righteousness of God is embodied in Christ. The Faith I Live By, p. 109.2

The impartation of the Spirit is the impartation of the life of Christ. Gospel Workers 1915, p. 285.2

The influence of the Holy Spirit is the life of Christ in the soul. This Spirit works in and through everyone who receives Christ. Those who know the indwelling of this Spirit reveal its fruit—love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith.
The Review and Herald, October 26, 1897.

For hours He prayed for power to reveal to men the divine character of His mission, that Satan might not blind their understanding and pervert their judgment. He knew that His days on earth were nearly ended, and that few would receive Him. His disciples were to be grievously tried, their long-cherished hopes disappointed. In place of His exaltation to the throne of David, they were to witness His crucifixion. This was to be indeed His true coronation; but they did not discern this, and without the Holy Spirit the faith of the disciples would fail. For them He poured out His supplications with bitter agony and tears. From Heaven With Love, p. 250.3

It is not fitful service that God accepts; it is not emotional spasms of piety that make us children of God. He calls upon us to work for principles that are true, firm, and abiding. If Christ is formed within, the hope of glory, He will be revealed in the character, it will be Christlike. We are to represent Christ to the world, as Christ represented the Father.—The Review and Herald, January 11, 1898

WE may daily receive a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit. In the early hours of the new day the Lord will awaken US from our slumbers, and our soul and our lips may be  anointed with grace, that we might impart to others. (Reference: The Review and Herald, August 11, 1910) The divine life will flow forth from us in rich currents of grace. As we pray, and as we speak, God is glorified.
(Reference: Reflecting Christ, p. 197.5)

He who tastes of the love of Christ will continually long for more; but he seeks for nothing else. The riches, honors, and pleasures of the world do not attract him. The constant cry of his heart is, More of Thee. And He who reveals to the soul its necessity is waiting to satisfy its hunger and thirst. Every human resource and dependence will fail. The cisterns will be emptied, the pools become dry; but our Redeemer is an inexhaustible fountain. We may drink, and drink again, and ever find a fresh supply. He in whom Christ dwells has within himself the fountain of blessing—“a well of water springing up into everlasting life.” From this source he may draw strength and grace sufficient for all his needs.  The Faith I Live By, p. 99.5

He who drinks of the living water becomes a fountain of life. The receiver becomes a giver. The grace of Christ in the soul is like a spring in the desert, welling up to refresh all, and making those who are ready to perish eager to drink of the water of life.
The Faith I Live By, p. 99.6

As you look at the cross of Calvary, work, O, work with burning enthusiasm. This enthusiasm means the fullness of divine inspiration, a consecration of the whole soul to the work. Beholding the life of Jesus, his self-denial and sacrifice, his matchless love, man becomes transfigured, uplifted, filled with the fullness of God. To be an enthusiast in Christ’s work is to be a partaker of the divine nature. The Holy Spirit has taken possession of the soul; the Sun of righteousness has shone into the chambers of the mind and heart, and all-absorbing truths have sanctified the mind. Let none fear this, but pray for it most earnestly, and live for it perseveringly. It will make you strong as workers together with God. RH June 14, 1892, par. 9
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 08:12:31 AM »
Amen, Glen. Before we pray for others, we must obtain the blessing  for ourselves. These are Biblical truths we read. "I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me." Proverbs 8:17.    "And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13.   We must feed upon Jesus  daily if we want to be converted daily.

Glen

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 09:06:02 AM »
Amen! "...transfigured, uplifted, filled with the fullness of God."
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Al

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »
Hi Glen,

Some very good statements on how much Christ's cares about each of us. He received in order to impart. I think I have read that all nature takes to give except for man. It is a reminder how far we are from the being like Christ who was our example.

Other thoughts on this lesson

The lesson this week was very good. I enjoyed the many comments that were shared. Today my wife and I were discussing the lesson and my mind keeps coming back to this statement made on Wednesday.

"Jesus invested Himself in the lives of His disciples. He visited their homes, became acquainted with their relatives, spent leisure time in their company, and worked alongside them. Nothing significant to their lives escaped His notice. Disciple-making today requires more than tract distribution and airtight biblical argumentation. Praying in a sympathetic consciousness of another’s distress, and with a passionate desire to alleviate that distress, is still the standard of intercessory prayer in effective disciple-making."

I like the idea the author is pointing out on how Jesus was tuned in to other people's lives and needs. Compassion makes us care and when we care we are more tuned in. We take time to listen more carefully to others. Esteeming them better than ourselves. This starts in the home and then carries over into the church and to those outside the church.

I have been listening to a set of CD's and the presenter points out that much can be learned by good listening. Being tuned in showing concern and taking an interest in the other person shows that you care about them. As it was pointed out in Glen's comments "This Spirit works in and through everyone who receives Christ." R&H October 26, 1897 How does the Spirit work in and through us is the question?

Something that I have been wondering about which there may be no answer for is how did Christ know about the woman at the well? Did he observe her coming out to the well the day before? Did he hear about her from the town gossip? Did he see her in a vision? Could he with the aid of the Spirit somehow pick up on her need? This same question could be asked about many of Christ's planed encounters?

Why we may not know for sure. I wonder if we could could pick up on more clues from people by observation and good listening with the aid of the Holy Spirit. What are your thoughts?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
"This Spirit works in and through everyone who receives Christ." R&H October 26, 1897 How does the Spirit work in and through us is the question?

Amen! There is a difference between working in us, and through us.  When Christ is in us, the fruits of His spirit are seen in the life.  On the other hand, God can work through even a donkey.  He revealed this when He caused pharaoh to let Israel go.

Glen

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 05:52:44 AM »
"This Spirit works in and through everyone who receives Christ." R&H October 26, 1897 How does the Spirit work in and through us is the question?

Amen! There is a difference between working in us, and through us.  When Christ is in us, the fruits of His spirit are seen in the life.  On the other hand, God can work through even a donkey.  He revealed this when He caused pharaoh to let Israel go.

Since the words "in AND through" that Al used IS linked with an "and", the two words are synonymous, as Ellen White used them.  "When Christ is in us, the fruits of His spirit are seen in the life." -The human instrument becomes transparent, and Christ; alone, is seen. This is the context of "in AND through in this paragraph in R&H October 26, 1897; wouldn't you agree?

You mention that "God can work through even a donkey.  He revealed this when He caused Pharaoh to let Israel go." -I've missed that part of the story, Richard, will you please elaborate? Or are you speaking of his stubborn pride?

Glen

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 08:17:17 PM »

I've copied the paragraph, here:
The influence of the Holy Spirit is the life of Christ in the soul. This Spirit works in and through everyone who receives Christ. Those who know the indwelling of this Spirit reveal its fruit—love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith. The Review and Herald, October 26, 1897.

For me, the first sentence of the above quote clearly explains "how...the Holy Spirit" can "work in AND through us..." -It says, "The influence of the Holy Spirit is the life of Christ in the soul." This sounds to me much like you stated, Richard; "When Christ is in us, the fruits of His spirit are seen in the life." Why wouldn't that include His Spirit working THROUGH us?

As for your suggestion that God was working through Pharoah, the thoughts below are also in the above Article, R&H October 26, 1897, which would include the "acts" of Pharaoh, and plainly describes him a disloyal apostate:

Those who dishonor God by transgressing his law may talk sanctification; but it is of the same value, and just as acceptable, as was the offering of Cain. Obedience to the commandments of God is the only true sign of sanctification. Disobedience is the sign of disloyalty and apostasy.

Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:9

Any way you may want to look at Pharaoh, he simply did NOT manifest Christ.

When God declared,

Exodus 7:
3 I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt.
4 But Pharaoh shall not hearken unto you, that I may lay my hand upon Egypt, and bring forth mine armies, and my people the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments.
5 And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I stretch forth mine hand upon Egypt, and bring out the children of Israel from among them.

While the following paragraphs may have been intended to speak about the writings of Ellen White, the principle is the same regarding Pharaoh and his rejection of the "testimony" of the Spirit of God speaking through Moses and Aaron. Yes; God used Pharaoh while Pharaoh "opposed himself" (Acts 18:6; 2 Thessalonians2:4; 2 Timothy 2:25) by rejecting God's WORD to him through his humble servants; however, we cannot say that God's Spirit was working THROUGH Pharaoh.

The Lord told Moses that the signs and wonders which he should show before Pharaoh would harden his heart, because he would not receive them, and God would multiply his signs. Every punishment which the king rejected would bring the next chastisement more close and severe, until the proud heart of the king would be humbled, and he should acknowledge the Maker of the heavens and the earth as the living and all-powerful God. Spiritual Gifts, Volume 3, p. 204.1

...remember that gospel truth hardens when it does not save. The rejection of light leaves men captives, bound about by chains of darkness and unbelief. The soul that refuses to listen to the invitations of mercy from day to day can soon listen to the most urgent appeals without an emotion stirring his soul. As laborers with God we need more fervent piety and less self-exaltation. The more self is exalted, the more will faith in the Testimonies of the Spirit of God be lessened. Those who trust wholly in themselves will see less and less of God in the Testimonies of His Spirit. Testimony Treasures Volume 2, p. 291.2

Those who are reproved by the Spirit of God should not rise up against the humble instrument. It is God, and not an erring mortal, who has spoken to save them from ruin. It is not pleasing to human nature to receive reproof, nor is it possible for the heart of man, unenlightened by the Spirit of God, to realize the necessity of reproof or the blessing it is designed to bring. As man yields to temptation, and indulges in sin, his mind becomes darkened. The moral sense is perverted. The warnings of conscience are disregarded, and its voice is less clearly heard. He gradually loses the power to distinguish between right and wrong, until he has no true sense of his standing before God. He may observe the forms of religion and zealously maintain its doctrines, while destitute of its spirit. His condition is that described by the True Witness: “Thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked.” When the Spirit of God, by message of reproof, declares this to be his condition, he cannot see that the message is true. Is he therefore to reject the warning? No. Testimony Treasures Volume 2, p. 292.1

God has given sufficient evidence, so that all who desire to do so may satisfy themselves as to the character of the Testimonies; and, having acknowledged them to be from God, it is their duty to accept reproof, even though they do not themselves see the sinfulness of their course. If they fully realized their condition, what would be the need of reproof? Because they know it not, God mercifully sets it before them, so that they may repent and reform before it shall be too late. Testimony Treasures Volume 2, p. 292.2

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
Glen, I did not mean that God does not work through His faithful servants, for He does. But, He also works through those who are not faithful in a different manner. Pharaoh refused to let Israel go until God had accomplished His purpose of revealing His power to the surrounding nations.

Glen

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 05:51:08 AM »
God's Holy Spirit, in whom is NO SHADOW OF TURNING:

James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Ephesians 5:6-11 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in ALL goodness and righteousness and truth;)
10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

James 1:12-16
12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.

I am emphasizing the fact that it was not God who was manifesting in Pharaoh the pride and obdurate "fruit"; it was because Pharaoh persisted, and remained, a child of Satan. It was Satan, and not God, who was working in and through Pharaoh.

Yes; God uses the unsanctified, in spite of their disposition and bent to evil, but He never, NEVER works in OR through them after Satan's own pleasure. Had the Godhead any such motif, THEY would have been worse than the Devil in their "treatment" of mankind. Our destiny is a result of our free choice, as we accept or deny the Father's righteousness to dwell within through the impartation of the Spirit of Christ; NOT the whimsical caprice of God. God made it clear how truly He loves us, and does not toy with mankind when it comes to their salvation.

Ephesians 1:3, 9
...the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:

Philippians 2:13
For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.