Author Topic: A Very Smart Animal!  (Read 9058 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
A Very Smart Animal!
« on: December 18, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »
Since August I have been trying to nab my neighbor's pesky, mean cat. The Animal Rescue people dropped off a live trap after the neighbor refused to keep his cat at home. Granted we are in the mountains and animals typically roam free; however, if a neighbor's animal becomes a nuisance and refuses to cooperate, we can trap the thing. So the trap has been set for 2.5 months and this is the hysterical timeline:

First attempt to trap white cat = trapped black cat and had to let it go. I reset the trap with fresh food.

2nd attempt = food in trap was eaten but the trap door did not release. I reset it with fresh food and changed locations.  ::)

3rd attempt = trap, food and items in my garage around the trap were in total disarray. A bear could have caused that. I reset the trap and tried again. Sigh ...

4th attempt =  Food was eaten. Trap did not release. Sprayed WD40 on trap hinges, reloaded with food and placed trap just outside the garage by the woodpile. That was this morning.

Question along with a high suspicion: Could a rat be eating the food? It is probably not heavy enough to press the trap door trigger. As a result, it is being fed well! Either that, or we have a very smart cat who refuses to be caught. At this point, I am embarrassed to call Animal Control because an animal of some kind is outsmarting us. And if I do not catch this cat, he will continue to terrorize my females and give me the pleasure of continued howlings beneath my office window.

Any suggestions? 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: A Very Smart Animal!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:17:04 PM »
If it's the kind of live trap I'm thinking of that is made from mesh wire I'm wondering if the sneaky (clever) creature is just simply reaching through the mesh with their paws and grabbing the food. But that all depends on the size of the mesh.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:59:37 PM »
It is 1/2" mesh. It could also be that field rats or mice are the bandits. And the ironic thing is, the Animal Control man stopped by today and we had a good laugh. He said to keep it up and eventually we will have our cat.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 08:13:41 PM »
Either set the trap with a female cat in heat that you want to also get rid of or food ( no rats will apply for the job    ;D ) - or - food + bait enhancement of an old rolled up sock rubbed on the back end of a cat in heat, put trap well away from house > may become noisy once Mr Julio Iglacious tomcat about town gets nabbed.   Be sure the trap is mechanically working and is inescapable while T. Cat is nabbing the food ( he has to go fully into the trap and it closes and locks to eat and rub the enhancement scented sock ball.)

Or rent a cat hating dog for awhile.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 02:42:25 AM »
 ;D Will do! Thanks, Ed!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 07:15:21 AM »
Last night REM sleep was not far off when the all-too-familiar howling began. It seemed a bit close, and it was. He was in my living room by entry of the cat door.

The war is on. Although I am beginning to admire his ability to evade capture! LOL

Maybe a little "tuna in oil" will get his attention. http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_TO_TRAPPING_THE_BASICS

Ed Sutton

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 11:42:04 AM »
Adopt him, name him, he will never leave anyhow     ;D

The price of having a girl cat.    ::)

In due time get him neutered.       :-X   

Lock the bedroom door or you may wakeup with him curled up on your bed sooner or later.   :o
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 11:51:21 AM »
It is being considered. LOL

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 12:12:38 PM »
Lock the bedroom door or you may wakeup with him curled up on your bed sooner or later.   :o

Oh, you added this part.  ;D  Have mercy! Instead, I locked the cat door!

Larry Lyons

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 09:05:10 PM »
Here is a bait that is irresistible for any carnivore, according to an old time trapper whose name I have long since forgotten, who wrote a possibly partly credible account of his trapping adventures: Find a medium to large rattlesnake and kill him, but leave his corpse intact. Place the dead rattlesnake in a glass 1 gallon jug with the lid on and leave it out in the sun for several months. Pour off the fluid that has collected in the bottom of the jug and bait the trap with it. According to the old trapper (whose name I still do not remember), the scent of the stuff will drive a predator (which includes your neighbor's cat) crazy. Caution: watch for an invasion of wolves, mountain lions, coyotes and foxes to your neighborhood when they get a whiff of the unspeakably irresistible aroma. 

Please let me know if it works.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 05:08:54 AM »
I'm going to be very interested to see if Mimi takes you up on this advice! I'm sure it would work but is it worth the price... that is the question.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 05:11:35 AM »
This is truly the lighter side of dealing with the animal kingdom!  :D Larry, we have known each other for a while now. Do you really think I would corral a rattle snake and carry out the plan? LOL God has enabled me to carry out some wild and wooly things while living in the mountains, but He would need to place me in a hypnotic state to accomplish that one! LOL Kind sir, do you mind if I take a pass? A smelly can of oiled tuna is much less harmful and attractive to even larger, more dangerous beasts! Bless you and thank you!  ;)

Ed Sutton

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 05:21:24 AM »
A can of water pack jack mackerel is cheaper and packs a stronger smell.  However I would not offer saltines he might decide to stay.   It might be better to put the can out at the actual owners with a little talk about keeping him home long enough to neuter him, after all it is their cat and he is becoming a nuisance.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 05:44:56 AM »
I had the authorities do that because two months of personal discussions did not work. Animal Control has taken over. The owner believes the cat has a "natural right" to roam.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »
I had the authorities do that because two months of personal discussions did not work. Animal Control has taken over. The owner believes the cat has a "natural right" to roam.

If that cat lived in Wisconsin, it would have been shot (legally) long before now.  Stray cats are fair game there because they kill so many birds and small mammals.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 05:20:21 PM »
My husband would have killed the thing by now, so yes, I understand.

The cat is a tremendous nuisance else I would not bother with all of this. The owner cannot be moved to keep the thing at home and Animal Control will charge the man with a fine. And each time the cat comes back and troubles us, we go through this again and the fine jumps to well over $100 per offense. If I cannot get him to do the right thing through moral reasoning, we will tap out his pocketbook.

I reset the trap this evening with some very smelly sardines in oil. Hope it works.

Ed Sutton

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 06:55:14 AM »
What attracts the male cat so much ? A female cat or food or both ? Will he let your grandson pet him, or is he gone feral ?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 07:46:27 AM »
I don't know, Ed. There is no exterior food because we don't want to attract bears, etc. My females were "fixed" long ago spending 95% of their time inside. The elusive cat's owner works all day after letting him out in the mornings. Maybe he is lonely and wants to play rough cat games.

One possible thought did come to mind. The owner does not have a garage or outbuilding the cat can sleep in during the day. I do. It may be that he comes here to play and to sleep. And no, the cat has not gone feral. In the beginning, he came to me when called. Then he learned his presence was not welcomed after his antics, so at the sight of any of us, he runs.

What is amazing to me is that a white cat can survive in the forest as long as he has. We learned early on that the owls and other predators very quickly take out white cats, so we switched to Tabbies. 

I am optimistic this situation will soon come to an end. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 04:54:40 AM »
I am optimistic this situation will soon come to an end.

Right. That was said in December. It is now March 13 and the cat is still on the loose. When the dog (Rogue) is indoors sleeping, the cat eases toward my bedroom window and begins howling. So, I have a new plan: "Rogue, go get the kitty!"  :)

ltvvaughn

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 04:38:42 PM »
Find a female that is in heat and put her on one end of the trap.  Set it up that the only way to get to her is to go "through" the trap.  It might take some ingenuity, but who knows, it might be workable.

LtV
LtV
If we can't be united in Truth . . . we dare not unite at all!