Author Topic: Love to Christ  (Read 2078 times)

Cop

• Senior Moderator
Love to Christ
« on: December 05, 2013, 04:43:32 PM »
Love shows the true character of a man, according to the object which he loves more than anything else: for as is the love, so is the man. According to his love, so might you designate the man. If he is a lover of honour, he is an ambitious man; a lover of pleasure, a sensual man; and if he chiefly love the world, he is a covetous man. If a man loves righteousness, he is a religious man; if the things above, a heavenly-minded man; and if he love Christ with a pre-eminent love, he is a sincere man: "Rightly do they love you.," Song of Songs 1:4.

The life of Christianity consists very much in our love to Christ. Without love to Christ, we are as much without spiritual life as a body when the soul is dead. Faith without love to Christ is a dead faith, and a professed Christian without love to Christ is a dead Christian...dead in trespasses and sin. Without love to Christ we may have the name of Christian, but we are completely without the nature.We may have the form of godliness, but we are totally without the power. "Give me thine heart" (Pro. 23:26) is the call of God to all the children of men. This is all that God asks of us...our love. The Commandments are based upon the concept of His children's love towards Him. "Give me thy love", is the call of Christ to all His disciples. "If you love me, keep my commandments." (Jo.14:15).

If Christ has our love, He has our all; and Christ never has what He deserves from us, till He has our love. True love withholds nothing from Christ, when it is sincerely set upon Him. If we actually love Him, He will have our time, and He will have our service, and He will have the use of all our resources, and gifts, and graces; indeed, then He shall have our possessions, freedom, and our very lives, whenever He calls for them. In the same way, when God loves any of us, He will withhold nothing from us that is good for us. He does not hold back his own only begotten Son, (Rom.8:32). When Christ loves us, He gives us everything we need-- His merits to justify us, His Spirit to sanctify us, His grace to adorn us, and His glory to crown us. Therefore, when any of us love Christ sincerely, we lay everything down at his feet, and give up all to be at His command and service: "And they loved not their lives unto the death," (Rev. 12:11).

Christ knows the power and influence which love to Him, in the truth and strenght of it, has; that if He has their love, their desires will be for Him and no other. If He has their love, their happiness will be centered in Him; their hopes and desires will be from Him. If He has their love, His will will rule in their lives. He knows that if He has their love, that love will engage all the power of the soul to Him and for Him.

If He has their love, their thoughts will be brought into captivity and obedience unto Him. If He has their love, their minds will be engaged in seeking and finding out His truths. If He has their love, their their will will be to do according to His direction and pleasure. All their gifts and talents will be at His service. If He has their love, they will be ready to do for Him whatever He requires.

Love is the everlasting grace that will continue in use and increase, even when other graces will have ceased. At the present time, we live by faith, repent and mourn for sin, live in hope of the glory which will be revealed, and wait until we possess the mansions above. We patiently wait for all the good that is promised to us, but not yet conferred upon us. However, in the future faith will be turned into sight, hope into enjoyment, desires into fullfillment, and waiting into possession. When this happens, we will believe no more, hope no more, desire no more, and wait no more. But even then we will continue in love-- indeed, we will love more than ever, more abundantly, perfectly, and continually, without pause or alteration. We will love eternally. One reason why love is considered the greatest of the three Christian virtues, is that it will last the longest. "And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." (1 Cor 13:13).

So it is that those who love Christ sincerely here, will love Him perfectly hereafter, and be forever blessed in that love. But those who do not love him in this world, cannot love him in the next. For the lack of such love, they shall be accursed forever.

Does He have your love?
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
Stonewall Jackson

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Love to Christ
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 07:31:03 PM »
Amen! Beautiful!  I especially like the sanctification truth. "When Christ loves us, He gives us everything we need-- His merits to justify us, His Spirit to sanctify us, His grace to adorn us, and His glory to crown us." While sanctification is the work of a lifetime, we are sanctified, present tense, when His Spirit comes into the heart. When we are born again of His Spirit, we are sanctified. We need Jesus to do any good thing. If we will behold His grace, we shall be changed by it. We love Him because He first loved us!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Cop

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 03:05:09 AM »
In 1 Peter chapter 1, the Apostle directs his message to the scattered disciples of Christ. They perhaps accepted Jesus as their Savior at Pentecost and returning to their homes zealously proclaimed their new faith to family and friends. These countries being pagan and idolatrous, there is no doubt that they encountered hostility, opposition, persecution, and suffering on account of the Christian religion which they professed. But the hatred and opposition was surely greater that they endured from family and their countrymen, the unconverted Jews, who hated Christianity more than the heathen did. He encourages them in their sufferings for Christ.

In verse 2, he wished that grace and peace might be multiplied in them and towards them. In verses 3,4, and 5, he blesses God for "His abundant mercy" towards in begetting them into "a lively hope" of the glorius and never fading heavenly inheritance reserved for them through God's grace in which they are kept through faith by God's infinite power. In verses 6 and 7, he tells them that although they "are in heaviness through manifold temptations", which are afflictions, trials, and tests, he wants them to understand that these afflictions are but "for a season" and will not last. Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning. These trials are needed to humble them, to purify them, to help them form characters after the image of their Lord and God, Jesus Christ. Then he states that these trials are to test their faith, which is "much more precious than of gold that perisheth," when it is tried in the fire, which faith, carrying them through their sufferings, amy be found to their own praise and to their Master's honor at His appearing.

Peter then writes to these who are suffering so much what is one of my favorite verses, verse 8..."whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: ". He speaks here of their love, their love which they bore to this Jesus Christ, and of that unspeakable and glorius joy which results from believing in Him which no trouble or affliction could overwhelm or prevent, love to this Jesus whom their eyes had never seen.

Concerning the true Christians whose disposition is to love Jesus Christ, whom they have never seen, "whom having not seen, ye love." You love, that is, you are true Christians who are so in reality as well as in your profession of love to Christ. Of these true Christians that love Christ, the apostle gives a discription in verse 2 where he calls them "elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the blood of Jesus Christ." True Christians are elect, or chosen, according to the foreknowledge of God the Father. They are such whom God, according to the counsel of His own will, according to His own purpose and grace, chose from all eternity to be a holy and peculiar people to Himself, to glorify Him here on earth that they may be glorified by Him at His return. This election, or choosing of God, reveals itself in the sanctification of the Holy Spirit.

What is sanctification? In Life Sketches (p. 237) we are told: "Sanctification...is nothing less than a daily dying to self and daily conformity to the will of God." Are we daily battling with self and conforming our lives to the will of God, or are we surrendering to the Evil One and conforming ourselves to the world? It is not an easy battle: "Self is the enemy we most need to fear" [MH 485]; "Warfare against self is the greatest battle...ever fought" [SC 43].
Do we love Christ and long to be with Him; to live with Him throughout eternity? Is the battle against self worth it? Do we have the faith needed to obey God? None can of ourselves do this...we do not have the love and faith needed to fight the Devil. But the Holy Spirit will give to each of us the love and faith we need to be victorius. We have no love or faith of ourselves unless He supplies it to our soul. It only comes to us as a gift from Him. It is Christ's battle also and He will provide the means of victory over self.

How can we not love Him?
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
Stonewall Jackson

Cop

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:31:05 AM »
Strength in Affliction--The Secret of Loving Christ More

by John Newton

At length, and without farther apology for my silence, I sit down to ask you how you fare. Afflictions I hear have been your lot; and if I had not heard so, I should have taken it for granted: for I believe the Lord loves you, and as many as He loves He chastens. I think you can say, afflictions have been good for you, and I doubt not but you have found strength according to your day; so that, though you may have been sharply tried, you have not been overpowered. For the Lord has engaged His faithfulness for this to all His children, that He will support them in all their trials: so that the fire shall not consume them, nor the floods drown them (I Cor. x. 13; Isa. xliii. 2).

If you can say thus much, cannot you go a little further, and add, in the apostle's words, "None of these things move me, neither count I my life dear. I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me: yea, doubtless, I count all things loss and of no regard, for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord; for when I am weak, then am I strong"? Methinks I hear you say, "God, who comforteth those who are cast down, has comforted my soul; and as my troubles have abounded, my consolations in Christ have abounded also. He has delivered, He does deliver, and in Him I trust that He will yet deliver me." Surely you can set your seal to these words. The Lord help you then to live more and more a life of faith, to feed upon the promises, and to rejoice in the assurance that all things are yours, and shall surely work for your good.

If I guess right at what passes in your heart, the name of Jesus is precious to you, and this is a sure token of salvation and that of God. You could not have loved Him, if He had not loved you first. He spoke to you, and said, "Seek My face," before your heart cried to Him, "Thy face, O Lord, will I seek." But you complain, "Alas! I love Him so little." That very complaint proves that you love Him a great deal; for if you loved Him but a little, you would think you loved Him enough. A mother loves her child a great deal, yet does not complain for not loving it more; nay, perhaps she hardly thinks it possible. But such an infinite object is Jesus, that they who love Him better than parents or child, or any earthly relation or comfort, will still think they hardly love Him at all; because they see such a vast disproportion between the utmost they can give Him, and what in Himself He deserves from them. But I can give you good advice and good news: love Him as well as you can now, and ere long you shall love Him better. O when you see Him as He is, then I am sure you will love Him indeed! If you want to love Him better now while you are here, I believe I can tell you the secret how this is to be attained: Trust Him. The more you trust Him, the better you will love Him. If you ask, farther, How shall I do to trust Him? I answer, Try Him: the more you make trial of Him, the more your trust in Him will be strengthened. Venture upon His promises; carry them to Him, and see if He will not be as good as His word. But, alas! Satan and unbelief work the contrary way. We are unwilling to try Him, and therefore unable to trust Him; and what wonder, then, that our love is faint, for who can love at uncertainties?

If you are in some measure thankful for what you have received, and hungering and thirsting for more, you are in the frame I would wish for myself, and I desire to praise the Lord on your behalf. Pray for us. We join in love to you.
Stonewall Jackson

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 12:19:10 PM »
Amen!!   He certainly knew Jesus!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.