Author Topic: WE ARE ACTUALLY ALL MARTIANS  (Read 3095 times)

Cop

• Senior Moderator
WE ARE ACTUALLY ALL MARTIANS
« on: November 29, 2013, 08:53:49 AM »
ReligionNewsService.com, 9/9/13, “Scientist Suggests ‘We Are Actually All Martians’” [Excerpts]:   Did life originate on Mars? During a keynote address at the 2013 Goldschmidt Geochemistry Conference in Florence, Italy, Steven Benner postulated that it did. Benner, from The Westheimer Institute for Science and Technology in Gainesville, Florida, works in the field of “applied molecular evolution” where he attempts to reconstruct conditions that may have led to the spontaneous generation of life’s biochemicals from inorganic compounds. In his address, he suggested life began on Mars then somehow migrated the more than 30 million miles to Earth.

Benner’s presentation abstract listed the following four paradoxes as challenges to the naturalistic origin of life he defends:

1. The “Tar Paradox” shows that adding energy to simple organic molecules—energy required to convert them into molecules of life—always converts them into black goo “better suited for paving roads than supporting Darwinian evolution” (Benner, S.A. 2013. Keynote: Planets, Minerals and Life’s Origin.  Mineralogical Magazine . 77 (5): 686).

2. The “Water Paradox” describes the fact that on the one hand, water facilitates vital chemical reactions inside a cell, but on the other hand, water destroys raw biomolecules. Actual living cells use several tactics to control water’s potentially harmful impact on their vital biochemistry.

3. The “Single Biopolymer Paradox” notes that the hypothetical conditions that might build one required type of biopolymer, like DNA, are not the same as those envisioned to build another type, like protein. The problem is that all of life’s biopolymers need to form at the same time and place if they are going to move toward becoming the first functioning cell.

4. The “Probability Paradox” explains that RNA molecules tend to accelerate harmful chemical reactions despite their theoretical usefulness in accelerating reactions needed for biological life (Ibid.).

(http://www.icr.org/article/7698/)
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: WE ARE ACTUALLY ALL MARTIANS
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 02:48:19 PM »
That's not much better than Dawkin's belief that life got here on the backs of crystals.  ::)

And why Mars and not some planet elsewhere in the universe?
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

wigina

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 12:21:35 AM »
I Think they are making progress towards intelligent design :) i mean life originated froma creator outside of the world. Let's hope that from mars they'll go to Heaven!

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 06:55:43 AM »

7+ billion new relatives and they all want to borrow the saucer. 

There goes the neighborhood. 
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Cop

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 07:17:59 AM »

7+ billion new relatives and they all want to borrow the saucer. 

There goes the neighborhood.

:D
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson