Author Topic: Adblock Plus blocking too much  (Read 3222 times)

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
Adblock Plus blocking too much
« on: November 18, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »
I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but I have disabled Adblock Plus in Firefox. It has started blocking things it shouldn't block, not just ads. I know that it has blocked some video as well as links found on some websites, particularly news sites. For now, I will do without it. I'll have to wait until Sabbath to see if that has been the problem with live streaming from SDA churches.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
Re: Adblock Plus blocking too much
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »
Well, I'm realizing I'm going to have to disable it site by site, rather than universally. Some pages have so many ads, it actually freezes the browser. Shockwave is involved (Adobe! >:() as part of the problem. And yes, Flash is up to date. Doesn't matter, it still crashes.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »
 :(  I hate that for you! I had to disable Adblock. It was way too much! The same with NoScript, and with Ghostery's blocking, it can absolutely block videos and live streaming. They are good when they work but when they stop everything in its tracks, it just isn't worth it. 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »
Adblock and noscript can be a pain. I'll be the first to admit it. However, both can also be taught what you want to block and what you don't. With noscript this is especially true. And there is no need to create a whitelist it will do that for you. If noscript is blocking something just right click on no-script's symbol at the bottom and there is an option to enable everything for that website permanently.

I've never seen Ghostery block anything from working. It just stops advertisers from tracking you with their cookies. Now if you don't care for the small window that popups for a couple of seconds I believe it can be disabled but I don't know for sure since I usually just wait for it to disappear.

I'm so use to both adblock and noscript that when I use a different computer to browse the web it's like a totally new experience as I'm not use to seeing all the adverts.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »
Ghostery consistently hates Disquis. Most website comments are through Disquis. Temporary pauses are always necessary in that case.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89