Author Topic: SECC Defies World Church, Nominates and Elects Roberts President  (Read 44995 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
SECC Defies World Church, Nominates and Elects Roberts President
« on: September 18, 2013, 09:51:10 AM »
Just in from Ordinationtruth.com

SECC Defies World Church, Nominates Roberts President
Posted on September 18, 2013 by admin   | Leave a reply   

The Southeastern California Conference (SECC) has nominated Sandy Roberts to serve as president of that conference (http://seccsession.org/nominating-committee-report, accessed 2013-09-18). The nominating committee recommends that in the constituency session to be held on October 27, 2013, delegates vote to appoint Ms. Roberts to this position. She has been serving as the secretary of SECC. The Seventh-day Adventist Church ordains only males to such positions, insisting that conference presidents be male spiritual leaders:

“The conference president should be an ordained pastor of experience and good report. He stands at the head of the gospel ministry in the conference and is the chief elder, or overseer, of all the churches” (Seventh-day Adventist Church Manual, 2010 ed., p. 32).

The conference president position is one of male headship. While we have nothing against any particular “she,” the world church has indicated that this is a “he” position. This pastor “stands at the head of the gospel ministry in the conference.” The apostle Paul stated the principle clearly in 2 Timothy 2:12:

“I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet” (ESV).

No unit which is part of the Seventh-day Adventist Church has been granted authority to appoint a female person to this male-specific headship office. Two General Conference sessions (1990, 1995) forbade it. If constituents vote as their nominating committee recommends, they shall, by this act, place Southeastern California Conference in an unambiguous position of voted rebellion against the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

http://ordinationtruth.com/2013/09/18/secc-defies-world-church-nominates-roberts-president/
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SECC Defies World Church, Nominates and Elects Roberts President
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:53:56 AM »
Nominated Conference Officers
2014-2018

OFFICE:
President – Sandra Roberts
Executive Secretary – Jonathan Park
Treasurer – Verlon Strauss
Vice President for Asian/Pacific Ministries – Elizer Sacay
Vice President for Black Ministries – George King
Vice President for Hispanic Ministries – Alberto Ingleton

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Don't you think it strange gender and ethnicity are included? Overkill and point taken.

Lord, please stay close to the faithful in that conference.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 11:37:02 AM »
Ahab and Jezebel.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »
I wonder how much more the rebellion will blossom until the church "appears as about to fall."  The next GC session could bring interesting developments.  The rest of the world won't look too kindly on the temper tantrum which will result in the NAD when WO is rejected--again.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

wigina

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 05:30:47 PM »
Hold fast! Be vigilant! For the hour is now very very near at hand. The second proclaim of it is finished is to be uttered soon!

ltvvaughn

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 08:40:57 PM »
Isn't there a statement from Mrs. White to the effect that the word of the world church is the voice of God?  If so, what would we do if the world church voted to ordain female pastors?  I need to find that statement.  Maybe someone knows where it is and can post it here.

LtV
LtV
If we can't be united in Truth . . . we dare not unite at all!

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 03:18:25 AM »
Here are two statements that I found.

"I have been shown that no man’s judgment should be surrendered to the judgment of any one man. But when the judgment of the General Conference, which is the highest authority that God has upon the earth, is exercised, private independence and private judgment must not be maintained, but be surrendered. Your error was in persistently maintaining your private judgment of your duty against the voice of the highest authority the Lord has upon the earth."  3T 492.

" At times, when a small group of men entrusted with the general management of the work have, in the name of the General Conference, sought to carry out unwise plans and to restrict God’s work, I have said that I could no longer regard the voice of the General Conference, represented by these few men, as the voice of God. But this is not saying that the decisions of a General Conference composed of an assembly of duly appointed, representative men from all parts of the field should not be respected. God has ordained that the representatives of His church from all parts of the earth, when assembled in a General Conference, shall have authority. The error that some are in danger of committing is in giving to the mind and judgment of one man, or of a small group of men, the full measure of authority and influence that God has vested in His church in the judgment and voice of the General Conference assembled to plan for the prosperity and advancement of His work. {9T 260.2}
When this power, which God has placed in the church, is accredited wholly to one man, and he is invested with the authority to be judgment for other minds, then the true Bible order is changed. Satan’s efforts upon such a man’s mind would be most subtle and sometimes well-nigh overpowering, for the enemy would hope that through his mind he could affect many others. Let us give to the highest organized authority in the church that which we are prone to give to one man or to a small group of men.
"  9T 260, 261.

Given the fact that we have been warned that "the church will appear as about to fall," it is possible that the GC in session could make decisions which are not in harmony with the Bible.  What should our response be if that happens?  Certainly it would not include the kind of behavior we have seen in the rebellious conferences.  Even if the GC voted to allow the ordination women as pastors, it would be more in the form of a permissive rule, not a command.  A local conference could refrain from doing so, and a local church (at least in our conference) could respectfully request that the conference not assign a women to be their pastor.

The church erred when it allowed women to be ordained as elders.  We would not be having this debate now, if they had stuck with the Biblical model.  The only way to fix this is to go back and rectify the original mistake.  It will  make many people mad, and some may leave.  It's all part of the shaking.  Some people cannot stand the unvarnished truth.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 06:15:17 AM »
Yes, Wally, the church erred, but it was not the General Conference in Session that erred in that case. It was a smaller group of men that had no business in usurping the authority of the world church. That needs to be corrected by the General Conference when  in session. And, yes the GC in Session  is not above making a mistake. But, it is less likely to err than  a small body of men.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »
I am tempted to answer how I would react if the GC voted in favor of WO.  I will resist that temptation because to me to do that would be a show that I do not trust that God will take this into His own hands through the GC. I know what I would do if the Lord were to allow apostasy at the GC level but will not voice that or think about it. If it were to happen I would not be discouraged and would deal with it then. It is enough to know that no matter how this is handled the church will go through. How far will the Lord let the church structure fall ? One way or another and sooner or later, He will let the structure fall all the way. Whether the structure falls from within or without does not matter because the remnant church triumphant is going through with power. The big question is not will it go through ? That has already been answered.  It is  not even, what exactly will it look like when it goes through ? That really doesn't matter either. The big question for each of us is, will I be going through with it ? By God's grace the answer is yes ! This is our hope and confidence.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

ltvvaughn

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 08:51:26 PM »
Acts 5:29 comes to mind.  "We ought to obey God rather than men."  Regardless of what decision the church as a whole makes, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."  The Word of God is the guide.  Men are fallible but "the word of our God stands forever."  I know that this church is the church that will go through to the end.  It may falter and seem "about to fall" but unless we "abide with the ship" we abandon what God has ordained in these last days.  May God give us the heavenly wisdom we need, to see and the fortitude we need to follow, His will.

LtV
LtV
If we can't be united in Truth . . . we dare not unite at all!

colporteur

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 12:06:04 PM »
Sandra E. Roberts, the executive secretary of the Southeastern California Conference for the past nine years, has been nominated to be the conference president. The constituency will vote on her nomination at their meeting Oct. 27. If elected, she would be the first woman to be a president of a Seventh-day Adventist conference.
Roberts holds a Doctorate of Ministry degree from Claremont School of Theology as well as a Master of Arts degree in religious education from Andrews University. During her 26 years in the Southeastern California Conference, she has also served as the general manager and summer camp director at Pine Springs Ranch, the chaplain for the Loma Linda Elementary and Junior High, associate pastor of the Corona Church and associate youth director for the conference. She was ordained to the gospel ministry in 2012.
According to Fritz Guy, chair of the SECC nominating committee, current President Gerald D. Penick, Sr. told the committee that he did not want to be considered for re-election during the committee’s first meeting on Sept. 8. The committee met again and completed its work on Sept. 15. A report was posted on the conference website Monday evening, Sept. 16, and was also sent to the constituency meeting delegates.
No further notice of the committee’s work was made public, according to the SECC communications director Enno Mueller, who said the conference planned to wait for the vote of the constituency before making any statements about the change in officers.
Roberts’ nomination comes as the denomination is in the midst of an international discussion of whether or not to ordain women ministers. Last year the constituents of the Southeastern California Conference and the Pacific Union Conference, of which the SECC is a part, voted to proceed with ordination of women. This is significant, because conference presidents are required to be ordained ministers of the gospel. Southeastern California Conference is one of the largest local conferences in North America, with a membership of 70,572 who meet in 160 churches in the Imperial, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and San Diego counties. It is home to two denominational universities and its largest health care complex.
In another first, the nominating committee tapped Jonathan Park, who has served as a conference vice president for Asian Pacific Ministries, to take Roberts’ place as executive secretary. He is the first Asian-Pacific representative to be selected as one of the top officers of the conference. Elizer Sacey, pastor of the Redlands Filipino Church, has been named to the Asian Pacific Ministries position. The other two vice presidents, George King for Black Ministries and Alberto Ingleton for Hispanic Ministries were re-nominated. Treasurer Verlon Strauss was also re-nominated.
Under the conference’s bylaws, the nominating committee selects its own chair. Fritz Guy was chosen again. He also served as the chair at the previous nominating committee. Pacific Union Conference President Ricardo Graham attended the sessions as an adviser. The nominating committee also drew up a list of 20 members for the executive committee and the eight members of the bylaws committee. Conference bylaws specify representation on both committees to include people from all parts of the conference, male and female, from all of the ethnic churches, and to include someone under 40.
Interestingly, since delegates are chosen to represent churches, their ethnicity is determined by the church they attend. So at this session, one of the members, who had represented a Hispanic church but moved her membership to a mixed congregation, which is considered Anglo, was no longer counted among the Hispanic members.
On Oct. 27, 1,115 delegates will vote on Roberts’ historic nomination.
Bonnie Dwyer is the editor of Spectrum.
http://spectrummagazine.org/blog/2013/09/20/woman-nominated-be-pres...

[b]Student Series: Homosexuality and the Adventist Campus - La Sierra[/b]

"But it isn’t just politics. David Ferguson, Fritz Guy and David Larson edited the book Christianity and Homosexuality: Some Seventh-day Adventist Perspectives, in which both John Jones and Fritz Guy argued that the church should not look on all forms of homosexuality as sinful, but should affirm and embrace same-sex couples. Two other La Sierra University faculty members were contributors, and they critically reflected on Guy’s and Jones’ arguments. (I should note that René Drumm, Chair of the Social Work department at SAU also contributed to the book.)"

Revisiting God, Sky & Land by Fritz Guy and Brian Bull

"Drs. Guy and Bull conclude that the Genesis account of origins cannot be taken to be a scientific description of empirical reality.  Rather, it is limited to the idea that God is the Creator without saying when or how He actually created the universe, this planet, or living things on this planet.  After all, Guy and Bull point out that modern science has essentially proven, beyond any real reasonable doubt, that the Earth, and life on it, is very old and that living things have gradually changed or evolved over hundreds of millions, even billions, of years. "

colporteur

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »
It is interesting that the pro WO people are trying desperately  to keep WO and homosexuality issues separate. That is a losing battle however. All error associates together and has the same author.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 09:29:28 PM »
I don't know what God is going to do with other conferences, but by leaving the SECC in the world church, it is leavening those in and out of their conference. When Jesus told His disciples "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.  For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.  He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.  As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.  This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever"(John 6:53-58), He knew that it would cause some to turn away from Him for good. That is why He said it. He knew that if they stayed, they would lead others away from the truth. "From that time many of His disciples went back, and walked no more with Him." John 6:66.

The same principle applies today. We may not know who it is that will leave and who it is that will repent, but the lesson is important. When apostasy rises to the level seen in the SECC, there needs to be a very strong response. The world watches as this rebellion continues to increase in strength. That they would place a woman as a leader of men is only a symptom of a much deeper problem. The depth of the problem can be seen from what was written in the article just quoted. "Last year the constituents of the Southeastern California Conference and the Pacific Union Conference, of which the SECC is a part, voted to proceed with ordination of women. This is significant, because conference presidents are required to be ordained ministers of the gospel. "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all." James 2:10. How is it that the SECC can think that they must ordain a women to be a leader of men when in that same constitution they are bound to not ordain women. The General Conference said no to ordaining women. If we disobey the authority of the world church, when in line with Scripture, then why pay attention to
any other General Conference law?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 02:52:31 AM »
It is interesting that the pro WO people are trying desperately  to keep WO and homosexuality issues separate. That is a losing battle however. All error associates together and has the same author.

All too true.  The "progressives" over at Spectrum don't like it when we link these issues together, but almost without fail, those who support WO also defend homosexuality, believe in evolution, detest the SOP, and denounce the IJ as unscriptural.  That can't just be coincidence.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 08:46:14 AM »
Yes, Wally, that is the deeper issue. It is the gospel that has been perverted. Without an understanding of the power of grace to transform the life, there is little hope of being converted. The same deception infected Israel when Jesus was born into this world. After three and half years of being taught by Christ, the disciples still did not understand that God sent His Son to this world to die for them. That is how far removed the church was then removed from the gospel of grace. We are hardly much better today. But, the Holy Spirit is working and more and more are seeing their need and allowing Christ to cleanse them. We are getting there. "The shaking" will do its work and then the end will come. The last steps will be rapid ones.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 03:58:54 AM »
Another article from Ordinationtruth.com  [Note: referenced strike-through text is not showing on their website]

Required Church Manual and Bylaws
President Text

DOWNLOAD IN PRINTABLE PDF FORMAT
By Many Hands

2013-09-30

Some of your Seventh-day Adventist pastors thought it might be interesting to see what the Church Manual and other essential documents say about the particular concept of president and of male headship through the years. As an example, we followed the developing job description of the conference president through several decades. There is a long-standing and statement regard this topic, officially published for many years. New wording is indicated in Capital letters, while removals or changes from the previous example are indicated with strike-through text. Consider the following samples:

“The president of the conference should be an ordained minister of experience and good report. He stands at the head of the gospel ministry in his conference, and is the chief elder or overseer at large of all the churches” (p. 143).

“The president of the conference should be an ordained minister of experience and good report. He stands at the head of the gospel ministry in his conference, and is the chief elder, or overseer, at large of all the churches” (p. 143).

“The president of the conference should be an ordained minister of experience and good report. He stands at the head of the gospel ministry in his conference and is the chief elder, or overseer, of all the churches” (pp. 170, 171).

“The president of the conference should be an ordained minister of experience and good report. He stands at the head of the gospel ministry in his conference and is the chief elder, or overseer, of all the churches” (p. 182).

“The president of the conference should be an ordained minister of experience and good report. He stands at the head of the gospel ministry in his conference and is the chief elder, or overseer, of all the churches” (p. 117).

“The president of the conference/MISSION/FIELD should be an ordained minister of experience and good report. He stands at the head of the gospel ministry in his conference/MISSION/FIELD, and is the chief elder, or overseer, of all the churches” (p. 143).

“The CONFERENCE president should be an ordained ministerPASTOR of experience and good report. He stands at the head of the gospel ministry in hisTHE conference/MISSION/FIELD, and is the chief elder, or overseer, of all the churches” (p. 32).

This particular statement is not all that the Manual says, but demonstrates a definite idea consistently transmitted.

As seen above, the essential ideas in the statement are that the worker is experienced, has been ordained, is male, and has a positive moral reputation. He is not only “at the head” of the work in the conference where he serves, but he “stands at the head of the gospel ministry”; He holds the position of the senior ranking elder in relation to all the churches in his territory. He is in a position of authority over the other male spiritual leaders in the conference where he serves.

Not only does the current Church Manual require that the conference president meet these qualifications, but so does the current General Conference Working Policy volume of the church. Policy number E-60 states

“Inasmuch as the conference/mission/field president stands at the head of the gospel ministry in the conference/mission/field and is the chief elder or overseer of all the churches, a conference/mission/field president shall be an ordained minister” (General Conference Working Policy 2011-2012, p. 219).

This is not all. Because the Seventh-day Adventist Church is a world religious body made up of millions of members, all its component parts are required to operate under particular Constitution and Bylaws documents. The General Conference provides such model documents to all its sections. These model constitutions and bylaws have two kinds of writings in them, portions composed of required wording, and other portions which may be changed as by the local unit within certain parameters.

In light of action already taken by Columbia and Pacific Unions in which they placed themselves in opposition to their world church, readers may be interested in developing an improved understanding of the ways in which all of this works. Consider pertinent portions of these Bylaws:

“The 54th General Conference Session, in its consideration of the Role and Function of denominational Organizations, pointed out that the constitutions, bylaws, and operating policies of all denominational organizations should be consistent with the Seventh-day Adventist concept of the church, its organization, and governance. The fruitage of that concept is a representative and constituent-based system. Its authority is rooted in God and distributed to the whole people of God. It recognizes the committee system. It provides for shared administration (president, secretary, treasurer/chief financial officer) rather than a presidential system. It recognizes a unity of entities (church, conference, union, General Conference) based on mission, purpose, and belief that binds the believers together in a universal fellowship. While the integrity of each entity is recognized (church, conference, union), each is seen to be a part of a sisterhood which cannot act without reference to the whole” (Ibid., D 05, p. 135).

“Union Conference Constitution and Bylaws—This model constitution shall be followed by all union conferences. Those sections of the model bylaws that appear in bold print are essential to the unity of the Church worldwide, and shall be included the the bylaws adopted by each union conference. Other sections of the model bylaws may be modified as set out in Bylaw Article XII, provided they continue to be in full harmony with the provisions of this model” (Ibid., D 10 05).

The continuation of the D 10 section includes in the model bylaws the following—all in bold print—that is, all required:

“Article VI—Officers, Sec. 1, Executive Officers, a. President: The president who shall be an ordained minister of experience, is the first officer and shall report to the executive committee of the union conference in consultation with the secretary and the treasurer/chief financial officer. He shall act as chair of constituency meetings and the executive committee and serve in the general interests of the union conference as the constituency and the executive committee shall determine. In his leadership he shall adhere to the policies of the ________ Division and of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, work in harmony with the ________ Division executive committee, and in close counsel with the division officers” (Ibid., p. 143).

With this policy, the Columbia Union, the Pacific Union, the North Pacific Union, the Southeastern California Conference, the Oregon Conference, the Upper Columbia Conference, and the Ohio Conference—among others—are, at present, out of policy. To restate, these units of the church, which “cannot act without reference to the whole,” which are “required” to have this wording, do not have it. In many cases, not even the remotest similarity can be found to the required wording.

Church leaders—and rightly—call for church members to be faithful in upholding their Christian commitments. They call for their pastors to be faithful in guiding their churches spiritually in obedience to the gospel. Again, rightly so. But it is also true that our church members call for our leaders—including at the conference, union, and division levels—to be faithful. We are part of a whole body in connection with Christ; we are not independent. We are obligated, and properly, to stand together with the world church. A union here and a conference there cannot each go its own way. We build the church; we do not fracture it by independent action posing one part against another.

Some current conference and union level leaders and bylaws committees seem to be marching to the beat of other drummers. They are leading their own unions and conferences away from the sisterhood of churches.

This must change.

This is a very sad day when brothers and sisters in some of our conferences, irrespective of their strong convictions against the actions of the world body, have decided to act as they have. How can this be seen as anything other than disrespect, frankly, rebellion against the world church? We realize that they have developed arguments which in their minds may seem to validate their position on the ordination of women and placing them in offices which the world church has reserved to males. Even were their position correct, it would be tragic to turn against the world body.

We urge those holding such views to kindly labor with their brethren and sisters and share the light they believe that they have, and at the same time to listen humbly to the thinking and positions of others. Likewise, opposing positions should be given an equal hearing. Let the Lord convict the world body. Rebellion under any position or pretense can not be in God’s order and will surely give the enemy fertile ground to cause confusion, likely eternal loss, to many.

Brethren, by God’s grace, let us reign in this course before further damage is done to God’s church. As far as the bylaws go, let efforts commence to bring our conference and union bylaws into harmony with the present position of our world church. If the world church ever authorizes changes supporting Women’s Ordination, at that time the bylaws can again be modified. But not a moment before!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 10:13:06 PM »
Thanks, Mimi.  This is why we have called this rebellion. Some have not bothered to change their Constitution and are working contrary to their own laws as well as the World Church. That and the fact that they are working contrary to the Bible. Who wrote the article? Who is "Many Hands"?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 03:35:21 AM »
 :) May we assume it had many contributors?

Deb

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 02:35:50 PM »
I find it interesting that what Dwyer (Spectrum) puts out about Sandra Roberts educational achievements is incomplete...here is the link to show the complete story. Notice the words "spiritual formation" below.  Why did they leave those two words out?

"Earned a Doctor of Ministry degree, with emphasis in spiritual formation, from the Claremont School of Theology; a Master of Arts degree in religious education from Andrews University, and a Bachelor of Science degree in dietetics from Loma Linda University."

http://seccsecretariat.adventistfaith.org/

Mrs. Roberts is also a "consultant" for The One Project. 

http://the1project.org/about/consultants.html